Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024-2025 Kentucky Roster Construction
Great stuff as always CJ.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Bo knows football. Cactus knows roundball.
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Cactus Jack, jetpilot
(04-24-2024, 08:14 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Great stuff as always CJ.

(04-24-2024, 10:03 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Bo knows football. Cactus knows roundball.

Thanks.

Some other thoughts: Kasean Pryor (South Florida) has an ideal game for the five-out, but don't know that we'll be able to offer the minutes and opportunities. Another name that makes a lot of sense for Kentucky could be Max Shulga (VCU); same for Chucky Hepburn (Wisconsin).

Still monitoring where some other names end up. My best guesses on those:

Jayden Quaintance (Kentucky) - Memphis
Rylan Griffen (Alabama) - Kansas
Adou Thiero (Kentucky) - Pitt
Johnell Davis (FAU) - Houston, Arkansas, or maybe an outside shot for Kentucky
Cade Tyson (Belmont) - North Carolina
Igor Miličić Jr. (Charlotte) - Tennessee, Nebraska, or Baylor
Jonas Aidoo (Tennessee) - North Carolina, Baylor, Arkansas, or Alabama

Cade Tyson is another of the "shooter" dominoes that you can throw in with Brea and Stojakovic. All of them seem to have some interest from North Carolina and all of their lists have included at least one other traditional power. TJ Bamba (Villanova) is another name that will be on that carousel.

Surprised by how many really big name players in the portal are associated with Louisville. See them in on lots of names and am wondering if this is due to the Cards casting a wide-net and making contact with those available or if there's legitimate interest from guys like Chucky Hepburn or Jayden Quaintance. Overall, they've already taken six commitments from the portal, but two of those did follow Kelsey from Charleston.
(04-24-2024, 11:40 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 08:14 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Great stuff as always CJ.

(04-24-2024, 10:03 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Bo knows football.  Cactus knows roundball.

Thanks.

Some other thoughts: Kasean Pryor (South Florida) has an ideal game for the five-out, but don't know that we'll be able to offer the minutes and opportunities. Another name that makes a lot of sense for Kentucky could be Max Shulga (VCU); same for Chucky Hepburn (Wisconsin).

Still monitoring where some other names end up. My best guesses on those:

Jayden Quaintance (Kentucky) - Memphis
Rylan Griffen (Alabama) - Kansas
Adou Thiero (Kentucky) - Pitt
Johnell Davis (FAU) - Houston, Arkansas, or maybe an outside shot for Kentucky
Cade Tyson (Belmont) - North Carolina
Igor Miličić Jr. (Charlotte) - Tennessee, Nebraska, or Baylor
Jonas Aidoo (Tennessee) - North Carolina, Baylor, Arkansas, or Alabama

Cade Tyson is another of the "shooter" dominoes that you can throw in with Brea and Stojakovic. All of them seem to have some interest from North Carolina and all of their lists have included at least one other traditional power. TJ Bamba (Villanova) is another name that will be on that carousel.

Surprised by how many really big name players in the portal are associated with Louisville. See them in on lots of names and am wondering if this is due to the Cards casting a wide-net and making contact with those available or if there's legitimate interest from guys like Chucky Hepburn or Jayden Quaintance. Overall, they've already taken six commitments from the portal, but two of those did follow Kelsey from Charleston.
Kelsey and Pope both great dudes, high-energy and extremely positive. Can't not like them. I expect both to get great players and also role players that fit their system. Can they lead their programs back to the top? Time will tell but I like what I'm seeing and Pope has a super extra advantage that he played at UK and won a national championship. No better way to prepare you for the UK job and give you instant street cred.
Also Ricky P is a huge help to Pope from $$$ to steering players his way that wouldn't consider St. Johns. Pitino all in helping UK is one of my favorite sports stories of the last 15 years.
(04-25-2024, 01:11 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Also Ricky P is a huge help to Pope from $$$ to steering players his way that wouldn't consider St. Johns. Pitino all in helping UK is one of my favorite sports stories of the last 15 years.

My mother was a HUGE Rick P fan. Absolutely adored the guy!!!
Saunders returning to BYU is a little surprising. I'd initially mentioned all the ties he had to the BYU culture but flipped to him ending up at Kentucky because his visit seemed to be well received.

My Oweh prediction may make my crystal ball look better going forward... or maybe not. Doesn't have the best pull-up game (and that's an understatement) but think his tape shows the ability to get all the way to the rim in both halfcourt and transition & that he's able to catch and shoot. Staff will probably go with what they know for awhile and there seem to be more Big XII, Utah, and Midwestern ties than anything else, so not surprised that he came in for a visit.

Still hoping that Jalen Blackmon becomes the next legacy, but his brother also played at Indiana and the chatter on him seems more focused on other schools.

Methinks Kentucky is casting a pretty wide net with all of the visits and that we'll see even more uncertainty with the NCAA's new rule on grad transfers needing to enter by May 1 absent an exception.

I would not at all be surprised if as many as four or five names that haven't really been mentioned yet ultimately wind up on next season's roster at some point. Kentucky fans probably weren't thinking about Trazarien White dropping 27 in a November win in Rupp and thinking "that might be a decent piece for next season" at this time two days ago, but there's no better look that a staff and administration gets at an opposing player than in live action.

It should be a very busy time between now and next Wednesday's deadline.
(04-25-2024, 06:14 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 01:11 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Also Ricky P is a huge help to Pope from $$$ to steering players his way that wouldn't consider St. Johns. Pitino all in helping UK is one of my favorite sports stories of the last 15 years.

ALL older women was a fan of RP.  His butt was so cute in those Italian suits.  BUT, like most of us, it is sagging in his older age; so not so much anymore.
(Yesterday, 08:16 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 06:14 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

ALL older women was a fan of RP.  His butt was so cute in those Italian suits.  BUT, like most of us, it is sagging in his older age; so not so much anymore.

Gee oh Granny
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I'm hearing if things don't start coming together, we'll see open gym tryouts, some of you guys may have some eligibility left....Joking.
(Yesterday, 01:20 PM)Spoozer12 Wrote: I'm hearing if things don't start coming together, we'll see open gym tryouts, some of you guys may have some eligibility left....Joking.

I could give 5 minutes a half and take 3 charges a game. That's about all i got left in me
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(04-25-2024, 01:01 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Kelsey and Pope both great dudes, high-energy and extremely positive. Can't not like them. I expect both to get great players and also role players that fit their system. Can they lead their programs back to the top? Time will tell but I like what I'm seeing and Pope has a super extra advantage that he played at UK and won a national championship. No better way to prepare you for the UK job and give you instant street cred.

Louisville just bagged former Wisconsin PG Chucky Hepburn. Big get for the Cards. He and Edwards could make a nice backcourt if they gel.

Starting to think that Kelsey and Louisville may be getting on a bit of a roll and become a problem.
(Yesterday, 01:55 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 01:01 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Kelsey and Pope both great dudes, high-energy and extremely positive. Can't not like them. I expect both to get great players and also role players that fit their system. Can they lead their programs back to the top? Time will tell but I like what I'm seeing and Pope has a super extra advantage that he played at UK and won a national championship. No better way to prepare you for the UK job and give you instant street cred.

Louisville just bagged former Wisconsin PG Chucky Hepburn. Big get for the Cards. He and Edwards could make a nice backcourt if they gel.

Starting to think that Kelsey and Louisville may be getting on a bit of a roll and become a problem.

We fighting against Papa John's and Tyson Chicken money and we got old coal money
#BBFL
San Diego State's LaMont Butler committed to Kentucky. Good defensively and looks like he can get to the rim, but maybe doesn't have the best touch on his shot (release looks a little slow, probably because of how he gathers). Should be a pretty important piece regardless. With he and Amari Williams, it looks like Pope is putting an emphasis on being better defensively.

Pursuit of former Seton Hall Pirate Kadary Richmond is interesting. He jumped into the portal and is slotted between Great Osobor and Rylan Griffen in the top available transfers. I don't expect him to be a Wildcat.

Keeping an eye on Miami's implosion. Their roster is about to get raided, as one of their more prominent boosters and NIL-backers is facing some issues in the legal system. Know KSR mentioned Wooga Poplar, but Norchad Omier could be a fit as well.

The dominoes on shooters in this class may fall soon. Indiana decommit Liam Neeley committed to UConn. Seems like weird timing for Koby Brea to narrow his visits to Storrs and Durham, so maybe we're in for some more twists there.