Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024-2025 Kentucky Roster Construction
(05-01-2024, 11:39 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Cacti , what about this Garrison guy? You like him?

I'm on board. I'd almost liken what teams like Kentucky and Louisville are having to do in the transfer portal to a fantasy football draft. If you think of it like that, he's definitely a guy you have to take at that spot. Probably don't feel the best if you have a roster stacked full of guys like him, but I think he's an asset and someone you don't mind adding to what you already have in Amari Williams and Andrew Carr.

All the reviews are positive and Oklahoma State had a mass exodus after a coaching change, so it makes you feel better about getting someone who was in the portal due to that type of situation too. High school football is king in Oklahoma, but I think his high school has won a few championships in one of their biggest divisions and has a pretty good history of producing athletes in other sports as well. Liked that he was offered by Kansas, Houston, Oklahoma, and OK State coming out of high school in the OKC-area; maybe biased, but I'm sometimes a bit concerned when there's a kid that's a stud athlete but none of the local or regional powers seem to be recruiting him unless there's more to it or some kind of backstory.

A lot of people rave about his blocks, but I was very impressed with some of the passes he threw in a lot of his highlight tapes. Can see how Pope would use him in the high post and at the elbows-- quick enough and leaps well enough to get around you if needed but is more than willing to hit his guards or wings on back-cuts. Don't really see him as much of a pick-and-pop or back to the basket post threat right now, but don't know that he'd be asked to do tons of that either.

Looks like he handles himself pretty well in the pick and roll, but I take looking at those in highlight tapes with a grain of salt-- they are always so nuanced that it's really hard to know if the other team was intending to play drop coverage, looking to trap or press up on ball screens, hedge and recover, how they're looking to tag the roller, etc., throughout the game and you may just be looking at a busted play or someone trying not to pick up their fifth foul.

Everyone is in love with Brea's shooting and talking about how he changes the geometry of the floor, but if you dig into some of his film, you'll see a guy that is a straight-up target defensively. If he's going to play major minutes (and you'd have to think he will), then having a big boy that leaps well and has good timing to back-up Williams will be pretty huge. Don't know that Carr and Brea together necessarily strike fear in the heart of opposing offenses.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cactus Jack's post:
  • Old School Hound, Spud6
Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024-2025 Kentucky Roster Construction - by Cactus Jack - 05-02-2024, 01:38 AM