Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Basketball Coaching Search
Which names being thrown around do you see being the most realistic options and who ultimately gets hired?

If you are a Louisville fan, who is your ideal candidate?
Dusty May I believe will have the option to be their next coach whether he takes it or not. Idk
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
They should go after Calapari.. lol
[-] The following 2 users Like pjdoug's post:
  • Cactus Jack, jetpilot
Jamie Dixon (formerly of Pitt and now with TCU) is one name that I'm seeing linked to the search. For those thinking Louisville could just roll in and out-bid TCU, there's a lot of money in Ft. Worth and in TCU's coffers. Whether they'd like to spend it on basketball as opposed to football or academics is a different discussion though.
(03-23-2024, 05:59 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Jamie Dixon (formerly of Pitt and now with TCU) is one name that I'm seeing linked to the search. For those thinking Louisville could just roll in and out-bid TCU, there's a lot of money in Ft. Worth and in TCU's coffers. Whether they'd like to spend it on basketball as opposed to football or academics is a different discussion though.

TCU pays their coach 3.8 a year and Kenny Payne was getting paid 3.35 a year
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Calipari is the obvious choice.
(03-23-2024, 11:25 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Calipari is the obvious choice.

We can only dream.

Just make it all come full circle. Pitino comes back to Kentucky. A hungry Calipari goes to Louisville and is re-energized by his desire to prove Kentucky made the wrong choice in firing him.

Talk about spicing up the rivalry.
(03-23-2024, 11:42 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(03-23-2024, 11:25 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Calipari is the obvious choice.

We can only dream.

Just make it all come full circle. Pitino comes back to Kentucky. A hungry Calipari goes to Louisville and is re-energized by his desire to prove Kentucky made the wrong choice in firing him.

Talk about spicing up the rivalry.

Would love to see Cal take Louisville to the Final Four and Pitino and Kentucky be there too. How awesome would that be. What this state expects and deserves.
(03-23-2024, 11:49 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Would love to see Cal take Louisville to the Final Four and Pitino and Kentucky be there too. How awesome would that be. What this state expects and deserves.

Which parent gets Kenny Payne in the whole Calipari divorce? Kentucky or Louisville?
(03-23-2024, 11:55 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(03-23-2024, 11:49 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Would love to see Cal take Louisville to the Final Four and Pitino and Kentucky be there too. How awesome would that be. What this state expects and deserves.

Which parent gets Kenny Payne in the whole Calipari divorce? Kentucky or Louisville?

Probably both programs get an EPO against Payne where he is not allowed within 200 miles of any basketball goal in Louisville or Lexington.
(03-24-2024, 12:01 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Probably both programs get an EPO against Payne where he is not allowed within 200 miles of any basketball goal in Louisville or Lexington.

I would take Payne back at Kentucky as an assistant.  He always did very well with our bigs
#BBFL
(03-24-2024, 12:12 AM)Spud6 Wrote:

I would take Payne back at Kentucky as an assistant.  He always did very well with our bigs

He's tainted now, no credibility. But I would trust Pitino with that decision, it would be like a double comeback story which is cool.
(03-24-2024, 12:17 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

He's tainted now, no credibility. But I would trust Pitino with that decision, it would be like a double comeback story which is cool.

It's like Orlando Antigua when he left and went to South Florida and went 23-55 and then to Illinois as an assistant and is now back with Kentucky.
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • jetpilot
Lville is going to have to eventually settle for someone just as bad as Payne, unless there is a coach currently coaching in the tournament that they’ve settled on.

Nobody outside of those has shown any interested unless it’s been kept really quiet
Apparently it’s down to 3 per Goodman. Seton Halls coach, Charlestons coach and South Florida’s coach
[-] The following 1 user Likes Strikeout King's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(03-24-2024, 08:54 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Apparently it’s down to 3 per Goodman. Seton Halls coach, Charlestons coach and South Florida’s coach

Imagine that they'd need to put together a nice package to pull Shaheen Holloway away from his alma mater, but if so, that hire either goes great or bombs, I just don't see any in-between.

Also see why Pat Kelsey would be an attractive candidate.
(03-24-2024, 08:54 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Apparently it’s down to 3 per Goodman. Seton Halls coach, Charlestons coach and South Florida’s coach
They certainly can’t call any of them a home run hire.
Well, the news around Indiana State's Josh Schertz is... interesting.

Sounds like some hyperbole was taken as anything but and a non-story took a life if it's own.
I don’t understand how Louisville can have a coaching search, and not give musselman a call. He’s a better coach that anyone they have talked about. Maybe they can’t afford him is the only reason I would know why they haven’t reached out.

Cal and KY misses Payne and Robic, imo.   The KSR crew were saying that two members of Cal's staff are "stealing" money from the university(not earning their salaries). Any idea which two they would be referring to?

(03-26-2024, 06:04 PM)insideinfo Wrote: I don’t understand how Louisville can have a coaching search, and not give musselman a call. He’s a better coach that anyone they have talked about. Maybe they can’t afford him is the only reason I would know why they haven’t reached out.

Maybe, just maybe, Musselman's an @$$hole.
(03-26-2024, 07:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Cal and KY misses Payne and Robic, imo.   The KSR crew were saying that two members of Cal's staff are "stealing" money from the university(not earning their salaries). Any idea which two they would be referring to?

(03-26-2024, 06:04 PM)insideinfo Wrote: I don’t understand how Louisville can have a coaching search, and not give musselman a call. He’s a better coach that anyone they have talked about. Maybe they can’t afford him is the only reason I would know why they haven’t reached out.

Maybe, just maybe, Musselman's an @$$hole.
Then he would fit right in. We have one at Kentucky some of you so called FANS seem to like. So I’m not seeing the problem.

Musselman already makes around $5 million per and I'd have to think that Louisville would need to pay him substantially more than that to leave Arkansas for the uncertainty that would come with the being a member of the ACC.

There's a reason that outside of Baylor, they have been linked to the coaches from smaller conferences without strong football teams.

Louisville probably knows that they are in a precarious spot right now.

As is, the ACC is locked into a less than ideal contract with the networks and won't be getting the type of football revenue that's going to the SEC or Big Ten. That's why Florida State and now Clemson are looking for a way out and others are waiting to see what happens and making contingency plans.

Football will rule the day in realignment, and any changes to the deal that the ACC is locked into probably means that they've lost at least two of their best programs, and I don't see them finding equal replacements.

I don't see serious interest in adding them coming from the Big Ten or SEC.

The Big XII is probably the best fit, but they're already at 16 teams. Do they add more? If the Cards join, the basketball schedule would possibly be better than the ACC once you get past Carolina and Duke (Arizona, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Houston, Cincinnati, Baylor, etc.), but does that help their recruiting? What do the cross-country road trips for all sports do to their overall budget and fan base?

Outside of what's already mentioned, the possibilities are even worse. I don't think that they'll be left out in the cold this badly, but their odds of getting lost in the shuffle and landing in the American Athletic Conference aren't that much lower than their odds of winding up in the SEC or Big Ten.
All indications are that Louisville has hired Charleston's Pat Kelsey. Press conference set for tomorrow morning.