Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great North American Eclipse : April 8, 2024
Anyone gonna travel to get in the eclipse's path of totality?   I'm looking at going to Bloomington, IN  or around Indianapolis to get to totality. The sun will be only about 92.9% obscured in Corbin and about 96.5% in Lexington. Gotta get to 100% in order to observe something truly spectacular. A difference of 1% coverage is literally the difference between night and day. 

The next total solar eclipse , with 100% obscurance in Southern KY will be over 129 years from now, or about when Coach Cal's contract runs out.  If you have never observed totality, do yourself a favor and travel a few hours to get to view it. You'll never be the same!!!
(03-24-2024, 01:29 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Anyone gonna travel to get in the eclipse's path of totality?   I'm looking at going to Bloomington, IN  or around Indianapolis to get to totality. The sun will be only about 92.9% obscured in Corbin and about 96.5% in Lexington. Gotta get to 100% in order to observe something truly spectacular. A difference of 1% coverage is literally the difference between night and day. 

The next total solar eclipse , with 100% obscurance in Southern KY will be over 129 years from now, or about when Coach Cal's contract runs out.  If you have never observed totality, do yourself a favor and travel a few hours to get to view it. You'll never be the same!!!

I wouldn't walk out on my front porch to view it.  I never found that type of thing interesting.
(03-24-2024, 03:40 PM)Westside Wrote:
(03-24-2024, 01:29 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Anyone gonna travel to get in the eclipse's path of totality?   I'm looking at going to Bloomington, IN  or around Indianapolis to get to totality. The sun will be only about 92.9% obscured in Corbin and about 96.5% in Lexington. Gotta get to 100% in order to observe something truly spectacular. A difference of 1% coverage is literally the difference between night and day. 

I wouldn't walk out on my front porch to view it.  I never found that type of thing interesting.

Sorry to hear that , Westie.  It's one of the truly great spectacles the Universe has to offer. As far as we know, there is nowhere else in our Solar System, or possibly beyond, where this event occurs. I traveled about 2.5 hours south into TN back in 2017 to be in totality. It was truly a surreal experience seeing Venus and Jupiter shining bright in a dusk-like sky ...at 2:00 pm in the afternoon!!!

Btw, there is a penumbral lunar eclipse , beginning at 53 minutes past midnight tonight. It will reach maximum at 3:12 am. Penumbral lunar eclipses are not as spectacular as total or partial lunar eclipses, but will be worth checking out if the skies are clear.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
(03-24-2024, 05:30 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-24-2024, 03:40 PM)Westside Wrote:

Sorry to hear that , Westie.  It's one of the truly great spectacles the Universe has to offer. As far as we know, there is nowhere else in our Solar System, or possibly beyond, where this event occurs. I traveled about 2.5 hours south into TN back in 2017 to be in totality. It was truly a surreal experience seeing Venus and Jupiter shining bright in a dusk-like sky ...at 2:00 pm in the afternoon!!!

Btw, there is a penumbral lunar eclipse , beginning at 53 minutes past midnight tonight. It will reach maximum at 3:12 am. Penumbral lunar eclipses are not as spectacular as total or partial lunar eclipses, but will be worth checking out if the skies are clear.

As the old saying goes, everyone is different.  I respect that.
OSH, are you out chasing the eclipse today?
(04-08-2024, 11:10 AM)Westside Wrote: OSH, are you out chasing the eclipse today?

Yessir. I'm a Hoosier today. Bloomington, Indiana. Right on the center line of totality. Mostly sunny forcasted between 2 and 4 pm. Fingers crossed.
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot, Westside
(04-08-2024, 11:13 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 11:10 AM)Westside Wrote: OSH, are you out chasing the eclipse today?

Yessir. I'm a Hoosier today. Bloomington, Indiana. Right on the center line of totality. Mostly sunny forcasted between 2 and 4 pm. Fingers crossed.

Good luck and stay safe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • jetpilot

That's awesome, enjoy!

I want to be totally serious for a minute. Seriously, when you are watching this miracle try to see if you can reconcile in your mind if this is God's creation or it came from a totally random explosion out of complete nothingness. Spoiler alert: An explosion out of complete nothingness is impossible, as is any other method of creating matter from nothing.
I didn't even buy glasses. May take my welding helmet out there and hope for the best.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(04-08-2024, 01:18 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I didn't even buy glasses. May take my welding helmet out there and hope for the best.

Big Grin.   WoahBig Grin.     Woah
Not near as good as 2017 eclipse.
I actually tried to see it.  It was cloud covered when I looked.  It was probably for the best because I didn't have any of the specialized glasses.
(04-08-2024, 12:08 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

That's awesome, enjoy!

I want to be totally serious for a minute. Seriously, when you are watching this miracle try to see if you can reconcile in your mind if this is God's creation or it came from a totally random explosion out of complete nothingness. Spoiler alert: An explosion out of complete nothingness is impossible, as is any other method of creating matter from nothing.

Both can be true.