Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Job Tates Creek
Job was posted this afternoon of FCPS website. Coach Jarrod Gay Sr. has stepped down the Commodores were 4-25 this past season and were 11-18 last season. For his career he was 66-131.
I feel like Tates Creek use to be good when I was in high school to now see them struggle this bad
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(03-25-2024, 08:56 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I feel like Tates Creek use to be good when I was in high school to now see them struggle this bad

They have really fallen off since the 2000 there last good team made the state final when Darrin Horn was there.
Think the Lexington public schools are going to be cyclic unless there are some major changes.

I don't know that there was ever a time that Lexington Catholic and all five of the publics (Henry Clay, Lafayette, Tates Creek, Bryan Station, and Dunbar) were all going to be "up" at the same time even before some of this happened, but in the past two decades:

- Scott County and now Great Crossing have joined the region, with Scott County being in the same district... this has led to fewer Lexington teams getting to the Sweet 16 and less momentum for their programs;

- Lexington Christian Academy seems to have invested in their athletics programs. They've had some Division 1 players, mostly in football but some in basketball, probably wouldn't have been there when the school opened in 1989 or in the years immediately after;

- Frederick Douglass opens and the talent is now split between six schools instead of five... the success of their football program probably doesn't do anything to help the basketball programs at any of the other publics;

- Maybe just something that's happened lately that will reverse course, but schools like Madison Southern and Sayre also look like they're trying to build up their programs. For instance, Madison Southern has had an eventual Mr. Basketball playing for them and later hired a coach with a state championship and handfuls of regional titles on his resume. Unless the schools (including the Franklins) just beat up on each other all the time, someone is going to have to be toward the bottom;

Don't know that any one of these things alone has just crippled what the publics are able to do, but I can't see how any necessarily helped either.

None of this is to say that any of the individual programs are unable to be successful. There's obviously potential there. At the same time, if I had to hazard a guess, there are a lot more hands in the pie and the slices left for any of the publics are much thinner than they were twenty to thirty years ago.
I don't see how there's enough kids to keep all these schools open. I can't even keep up with where all the schools are.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(03-25-2024, 10:27 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I don't see how there's enough kids to keep all these schools open. I can't even keep up with where all the schools are.

Oh there is plenty of kids. I don't know exact numbers but I know that both Lafayette and Henry Clay both still have over 2100 hundred students, Tates Creek, Dunbar, and Bryan Station have between 1700-1800 and Douglass is still the smallest of the 6 schools they between 1600-1700.
How close is Great Crossing and how many students they got?
#BBFL
(03-25-2024, 09:15 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 08:56 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I feel like Tates Creek use to be good when I was in high school to now see them struggle this bad

They have really fallen off since the 2000 there last good team made the state final when Darrin Horn was there.

Tates Creek had some really good teams during the Wayne Breeden years. He was a former graduate assistant at UK and had a nice run at Owensboro High School prior to returning to Lexington. He retired in 2015, but I think they had some of the top teams in the region under him in the very late 2000's and early 2010's. It just seemed like their best years coincided with some really strong Lexington Catholic and Scott County teams.

In 2009, they went 14-12 and lost to Lexington Catholic in the first game of the district tournament, 77-69. Lexington Catholic would go on to lose to eventual state champion Holmes in the quaterfinals at Rupp. Their record from that season might not have been the most impressive, but they had losses to Male, Ballard, Scott County, Bryan Station, Holmes, Lexington Catholic, and Henry Clay, so it wasn't as if they were playing cupcakes.

In 2010, they went 21-7 and lost to Scott County in the regional semi, 69-58. Scott County would go on to lose to eventual state runner-up Ballard in the state semifinals.

In 2011, they were 24-5 and lost to Madison Central, 42-41 in the regional semis. Lexington Catholic would eventually win the region, but that Madison Central team would go on to win the state championship in 2013. The 2011 squad might have been the Commodores' most highly rated in statewide polls.

Not saying that they'd have won state going away had they lost any one of those games, but they've had some very competitive teams since their last trip to Rupp.
(03-25-2024, 10:49 PM)Spud6 Wrote: How close is Great Crossing and how many students they got?
Great Crossing is in Georgetown. Those kids would’ve gone to Scott county before it was built and are from Scott county middle. So it’s about 30 min maybe longer from certain parts of Lex. It had over 1400 students not small by any means. Georgetown has been consistently growing so no surprise there. Tates creek has just over 1800.
(03-25-2024, 10:49 PM)Spud6 Wrote: How close is Great Crossing and how many students they got?

They are 20-25 minutes from Lexington according to their web site they 1732 students compared to only 1199 for Scott County.
I’m assuming Georgetown is getting so big because they are flocking to the Toyota plant.
#BBFL
(03-26-2024, 07:21 AM)Spud6 Wrote: I’m assuming Georgetown is getting so big because they are flocking to the Toyota plant.

Yes that and you can get to parts of Lexington in 15 minutes and some of it is also that people are choosing to live in Georgetown and work in Lexington.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • Spud6
(03-25-2024, 11:53 PM)FanoftheBasketball Wrote:
Great Crossing is in Georgetown. Those kids would’ve gone to Scott county before it was built and are from Scott county middle. So it’s about 30 min maybe longer from certain parts of Lex. It had over 1400 students not small by any means. Georgetown has been consistently growing so no surprise there. Tates creek has just over 1800.
Scott County Middle feeds both schools, with about 65- 60% go to Great Crossing, Georgetown Middle feeds Great Crossing and Royal Springs feeds Scott County. With the new Scott County High Building set to open in August interested to see if there is going to be some redistricting because there is a couple of neighborhoods that feed Great Crossing that are right across the street from the new Scott County High
(03-26-2024, 11:13 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
Scott County Middle feeds both schools, with about 65- 60% go to Great Crossing, Georgetown Middle feeds Great Crossing and Royal Springs feeds Scott County. With the new Scott County High Building set to open in August interested to see if there is going to be some redistricting because there is a couple of neighborhoods that feed Great Crossing that are right across the street from the new Scott County High

How is Great Crossings facilities?
#BBFL
Very nice and the new Scott Co. high school that will open this fall is very nice as well.
(03-26-2024, 11:49 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

Very nice, but I have seen pictures of the new facilities at the new Scott County High and it is crazy nice, Fieldhouse looks like a college Fieldhouse. I know this is a basketball forum, but I think it will be there first on campus football field since around 1992, that is just crazy to me to fanthom with all the success they have had.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Daddy Bull's post:
  • Spud6
(03-27-2024, 10:51 AM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 11:49 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

Very nice, but I have seen pictures of the new facilities at the new Scott County High and it is crazy nice, Fieldhouse looks like a college Fieldhouse. I know this is a basketball forum, but I think it will be there first on campus football field since around 1992, that is just crazy to me to fanthom with all the success they have had.

Yes it is and it has an awesome indoor practice facility.

You are right. I was just thinking of basketball players specifically that were from Scott county middle that are now at great crossing where I guess without a new school they would’ve been at Scott county (no idea where they live!so could be wrong). Guess they got lucky having Moreno, Richardson, etc. districted to go to the new High school and not split up. That would suck to have half your friends going to one school and half the other but hey, I don’t make the rules.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FanoftheBasketball's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
(04-09-2024, 01:52 AM)FanoftheBasketball Wrote:

You are right. I was just thinking of basketball players specifically that were from Scott county middle that are now at great crossing where I guess without a new school they would’ve been at Scott county (no idea where they live!so could be wrong). Guess they got lucky having Moreno, Richardson, etc. districted to go to the new High school and not split up. That would suck to have half your friends going to one school and half the other but hey, I don’t make the rules.
They all are not districted to Great Crossing, a few opened enrolled and a few others somehow have different addresses, but I will leave that alone, main reason Moreno went was because Page was his Middle School Coach also and a good friend of the family and probably a big reason Page got the job.
Hearing this job could be Derek Robinson from Bourbon County. Expect something this week.