Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Basketball
Barnhead has left us no option, except to BOYCOTT UK basketball. We as fans have to share our displeasure with the way things are being run, with out wallets. No more going to midnight madness, blue white games. Quit going home and away games. We quit going to SEC tournament game, then the commissioner will get
 Involved. The whole bunch need gone from president down.
(03-25-2024, 07:22 PM)insideinfo Wrote: Barnhead has left us no option, except to BOYCOTT UK basketball. We as fans have to share our displeasure with the way things are being run, with out wallets. No more going to midnight madness, blue white games. Quit going home and away games. We quit going to SEC tournament game, then the commissioner will get

You, nor Granny Bear, nor Jetpilot , nor Strikeout King, nor Van, nor Run it up Your Damn Gut, nor Mick Foley/Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack , nor Dougie, nor anyone else is boycotting anything!!! You'll be back, along with me, for another wonderful ride next year with our 855 win HOF'er leading a new crop of five-star talent.  Quit lying!
(03-25-2024, 08:09 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 07:22 PM)insideinfo Wrote: Barnhead has left us no option, except to BOYCOTT UK basketball. We as fans have to share our displeasure with the way things are being run, with out wallets. No more going to midnight madness, blue white games. Quit going home and away games. We quit going to SEC tournament game, then the commissioner will get

You, nor Granny Bear, nor Jetpilot , nor Strikeout King, nor Van, nor Run it up Your Damn Gut, nor Mick Foley/Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack , nor Dougie, nor anyone else is boycotting anything!!! You'll be back, along with me, for another wonderful ride next year with our 855 win HOF'er leading a new crop of five-star talent.  Quit lying!
I will not spend my money going to any games anymore as long as he is still coach--its not cheap to go to Nashville and save all year to go to that and just waste of money, I will still watch from my houses is that considered a boycott?

Big red nose, big shoes...
(03-25-2024, 08:19 PM)rrcuppett Wrote:

I will not spend my money going to any games anymore as long as he is still coach--its not cheap to go to Nashville and save all year to go to that and just waste of money, I will still watch from my houses is that considered a boycott?
No.  You'll still be engaged just like everyone else on here.
I'll watch bits and pieces here and there but I won't be following...

After finding out today Barnhardt hasn't even talked to Cal after (yet another) horrible loss I want Barnhardt gone worse than Cal.
We have a p@$$* and a used car salesman ruining our storied basketball program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • insideinfo
(03-25-2024, 08:58 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'll watch bits and pieces here and there but I won't be following...

After finding out today Barnhardt hasn't even talked to Cal after (yet another) horrible loss I want Barnhardt gone worse than Cal.
I can’t believe they haven’t talk. It’s like the convicts are running the asylum. President down needs to be gone. Somebody has to have some accountability.
[-] The following 1 user Likes insideinfo's post:
  • jetpilot
(03-25-2024, 08:09 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: You, nor Granny Bear, nor Jetpilot , nor Strikeout King, nor Van, nor Run it up Your Damn Gut, nor Mick Foley/Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack , nor Dougie, nor anyone else is boycotting anything!!! You'll be back, along with me, for another wonderful ride next year with our 855 win HOF'er leading a new crop of five-star talent.  Quit lying!

I think it's fair to say I'll be more pessimistic and will probably tune in less, but I don't think I've ever said that I'd boycott or refuse to watch.

If nothing else, nothing changes and it's a complete Demolition Derby between Calipari and the administration, media, and fans. If so, it will be hard for anyone in the state who consumes any type of media to completely tune out that train wreck.

That aside, regardless of how bad it gets, I'll at least be tuning in for some of the early games and taking a wait-and-see & know that I'll probably be hoping to at least catch parts of the big games and SEC Tournament.

Where I do see it getting easier for even the most hardcore fans to tune out is when there are some types of scheduling conflicts or other priorities come into play. This season, I've honestly only had the time to watch no more than five games from start to finish live as they happened (and that includes attending one). Next season will probably be even worse.
(03-25-2024, 09:35 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 08:09 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: You, nor Granny Bear, nor Jetpilot , nor Strikeout King, nor Van, nor Run it up Your Damn Gut, nor Mick Foley/Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack , nor Dougie, nor anyone else is boycotting anything!!! You'll be back, along with me, for another wonderful ride next year with our 855 win HOF'er leading a new crop of five-star talent.  Quit lying!

I think it's fair to say I'll be more pessimistic and will probably tune in less, but I don't think I've ever said that I'd boycott or refuse to watch.

If nothing else, nothing changes and it's a complete Demolition Derby between Calipari and the administration, media, and fans. If so, it will be hard for anyone in the state who consumes any type of media to completely tune out that train wreck.

That aside, regardless of how bad it gets, I'll at least be tuning in for some of the early games and taking a wait-and-see & know that I'll probably be hoping to at least catch parts of the big games and SEC Tournament.

Where I do see it getting easier for even the most hardcore fans to tune out is when there are some types of scheduling conflicts or other priorities come into play. This season, I've honestly only had the time to watch no more than five games from start to finish live as they happened (and that includes attending one). Next season will probably be even worse.

Hit the nail on the head.
(03-25-2024, 08:58 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'll watch bits and pieces here and there but I won't be following...

That p#$$y attends Southland Christian Church. That should make you feel some better.

Most of the crazy UK fans HAVE no priorities other than UK basketball. Well, that, and buying lottery tickets at the Dairy Mart.
Well with todays news. You can see that our AD doesn’t have the backbone for the job. We have no choice but to boycott.
Cal will be back for his 16th season. Here is a link to the Cincinnati Enquirer from the meeting between Cal and Barnhart today.

[color=rgb( var(--theme-link) )]Kentucky basketball: John Calipari reportedly back for 16th season (cincinnati.com)[/color]
Sweet 16, baby!!! We advanced to the Sweet 16. Gonna be a magical season!!!
^^^Troll or idiot??? I'm going with the safe answer, probably a combination...
(03-27-2024, 07:52 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Troll or idiot??? I'm going with the safe answer, probably a combination...
Wannabe troll, doesn’t have enough upstairs to pull it off
I won’t boycott the Cats, I’ll support our guys in blue whoever they are, but I’m DONE with calapari. Trust me, if they go undefeated and win the national championship ILL STILL BE FOR CALAPARI LEAVING! They won’t win it with Cals coaching, it’ll be the athletic overcoming Cals inability to coach.
UConn just won by 30 in the Sweet 16 and wouldn't trade Dan Hurley for 5 Caliparis and 5 huge sacks of money.
(03-27-2024, 09:21 PM)insideinfo Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 07:52 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Troll or idiot??? I'm going with the safe answer, probably a combination...

How many PhD's do you have, foolish one?  I just have one but I'm betting it's one more than you have.
(03-28-2024, 11:26 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 09:21 PM)insideinfo Wrote:

How many PhD's do you have, foolish one?  I just have one but I'm betting it's one more than you have.
LOL, the world is overrun with "edumacated" idiots
(03-28-2024, 08:21 PM)rookie57 Wrote: I won’t boycott the Cats, I’ll support our guys in blue whoever they are, but I’m DONE with calapari. Trust me, if they go undefeated and win the national championship ILL STILL BE FOR CALAPARI LEAVING! They won’t win it with Cals coaching, it’ll be the athletic overcoming Cals inability to coach.

So, if they win it won't be because of anything Cal did but if they lose it'll be because of what Cal did. Sounds fair.
Frank Martin
@coachFMartin
·
5h
So let me see:
-UConn plays thru their center
-Alabama attacks the rim with their centers
-Purdue plays thru their center
-Duke plays thru their center
-NC State plays thru their center
Hmmmmmmm

No doubt UK needs to go get a great center in the offseason.
Who thinks Reed Sheppard is still a UK Wildcat next season?
(04-01-2024, 12:25 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Who thinks Reed Sheppard is still a UK Wildcat next season?

Not me
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(03-31-2024, 11:54 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Frank Martin
@coachFMartin
·
5h
So let me see:
-UConn plays thru their center
-Alabama attacks the rim with their centers
-Purdue plays thru their center
-Duke plays thru their center
-NC State plays thru their center
Hmmmmmmm

No doubt UK needs to go get a great center in the offseason.

Not picking on you, but don't know that this is the best take from Frank Martin.

Purdue runs almost everything that they do through Edey, so that's fair. Probably also fair to say that they had to take last year's loss and adapt too though. The Boilermakers can win ugly because they hit free throws at a higher clip than most teams who are so reliant on their bigs.

For UConn, here's a breakdown on average points, rebounds, and assists:
Newton (G): 15.0, 6.7, 6.1
Spencer (G): 14.4, 4.7, 3.7
Karaban (F): 13.5, 4.9, 1.4
Clingan ©: 12.9, 7.5, 1.5
Castle (G): 10.7, 4.7, 2.9

The Huskies run a lot through Clingan and they go as he goes, but they also have five players who average double figures and defend and rebound extremely well overall.

Loved NC State beating Duke and seeing Burns shine, but his defense is worse than this season's Kentucky and he isn't a very good rebounder either. He played 27 minutes (the least of any starter) against Marquette and finished with 4 points, 4 rebounds, 7 assists, and 4 turnovers. On the year, he averages a shade under 25 minutes per game. He's a big man with soft hands, nimble feet, a likeable personality and lots of media attention, but he's hardly what I'd consider to be the type of guy you "play through". NC State's guards do a lot and they have guys like Diara and Middlebrooks who may not score a lot, but snag tons of rebounds, defend & take charges, and other little things to help you win.

Alabama's Grant Nelson is the team's third leading scorer and averages .1 more rebound per than one of their starting guards and 1.5 per more than the other. The other starting big, Pringle averages 7 & 5 and hasn't taken a three this season. They bring a couple more bigs off the bench who can knock down shots. Fair to say that their offense is predicated on spacing and stretching the defense, which you need non-traditional bigs to do.

I'm all for them, but the Crimson Tide's system hasn't equated to them defending well, even when adjusted for pace. A large part of that probably comes from their inability to rebound.

Also, you can only beat the teams placed in front of you, but they've beaten #13 College of Charleston, #12 Grand Canyon, #1 North Carolina, and #6 Clemson.

Finally, the stat that Alabama is 18-1 when scoring 89 or more is cherry-picked. Entering the tournament, they'd lost two straight to Florida despite scoring 87 & 88; their only other March win was a 92-88 overtime decision against Arkansas.

Bottom Line:
Unless Alabama really makes it rain from deep or is able to replicate the parts of Illinois' strategy that was probably the most effective we've seen from the field against the Huskies so far, we're on a collision course for a UConn-Purdue final that's going to be focused on the play of their bigs.

Teams will definitely try to emulate whatever the champion does, especially if UConn repeats. Still, investing in and developing around a big is tough because: they're usually the hardest recruits to project, they take time to reach their ceiling, you have to build everything else around them, and they're most prone to injuries or problems with healing/recovery.

7'4, 300 pounders who can average 2+ blocks and assists & are career 70%+ free throw shooters like Edey don't grow on trees. He was an ESPN 3* and had an overall grade of 76 coming out of IMG, who has some of the best coaching/development and facilities that you'll find but still needed two-plus years of college to develop.

Clingan isn't as skilled as Edey but could have more upside as a prospect. He was just outside the Top 50 in his recruiting class and ESPN rated him as a 4* with an 85 grade. The sophomore has already had injuries (foot) that have caused him to miss at least five games this season and his numbers aren't hurt by the fact that he's played on really talented teams.

Teams will probably go back to recruiting more size; and you'll still need good bigs to win even if they don't. The transfer portal will allow a Kansas to pluck a Hunter Dickinson. But there'll also be plenty of whiffs and a casualty of coaches who know they aren't able to wait two more years for a promising big to (possibly) develop.
^^^I don't disagree with much you said but there are plenty of excellent big men out there and we need one badly and should get one ASAP. We just can't get a good big man to me is another excuse (of many) that I don't buy.
Disagree with this... Frank Martin gets scarier and scarier looking with each passing year.
(04-01-2024, 07:33 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^I don't disagree with much you said but there are plenty of excellent big men out there and we need one badly and should get one ASAP. We just can't get a good big man to me is another excuse (of many) that I don't buy.

I'll preface by saying that this isn't to make excuses for Calipari.

We had some talented bigs. For whatever reason: injuries, eligibility, poor roster construction, poor evaluations/not playing up to potential, lack of development, etc., that hasn't translated.

My best guess: Calipari's roster construction hasn't been ideal. Combine this year's team into one player and they're amazing, but any line-up you could come up with has some major holes.

Lack of chemistry due to injuries (Bradshaw & Onyenso) and eligibility (Ivisic) didn't help, but there were either an extraordinary number of recruits that UK and others missed on (Bradshaw, Edwards, Wagner) and/or the talent was there but wasn't cultivated. I'd guess the latter, but Welch's skill was supposed to be player development and he'd been in the NBA for years, so I'm hoping that this was an anomaly.

Whatever the case may be, I'm not sure that a sixteen year old Quaintance and/or a grown but still-raw Somto Cyril being added to whatever we bring back is the answer.

What really worries me is that with a large number of newcomers/potential returnees, the image of UK and Calipari being so beat-up, and a weak draft that will draw names who wouldn't otherwise go, this year's transfer portal could be rough.

I'll be expecting a mass exodus of returnees in the next 2-3 weeks and hope that we're able to navigate the portal better than we've ever been able.
(04-01-2024, 08:22 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Disagree with this... Frank Martin gets scarier and scarier looking with each passing year.

You will get no pushback from anyone on that statement. Something we can all agree on.