Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Open Job: Powell County
Anyone have any insight?
Did he resign his position or was he let go? He has coached Powell to back-to-back district titles, and in the 56th that means a lot because winning a region is far and away difficult…..only 5 in the district’s history.
(03-28-2024, 10:56 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Did he resign his position or was he let go? He has coached Powell  to back-to-back district titles, and in the 56th that means a lot because winning a region is far and away difficult…..only 5 in the district’s history.

I don’t think he resigned. He’s been there 7 years. I think they wanted this group he just had to do more. And with a good group coming up maybe decided to go in another direction to get them further in region. I’ve heard a few times now they were getting someone else so I think somewhere someone was unhappy. Whether or not the expectations people have are reasonable is another story.
(03-28-2024, 11:30 AM)FanoftheBasketball Wrote:
(03-28-2024, 10:56 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Did he resign his position or was he let go? He has coached Powell  to back-to-back district titles, and in the 56th that means a lot because winning a region is far and away difficult…..only 5 in the district’s history.

I don’t think he resigned. He’s been there 7 years. I think they wanted this group he just had to do more. And with a good group coming up maybe decided to go in another direction to get them further in region. I’ve heard a few times now they were getting someone else so I think somewhere someone was unhappy. Whether or not the expectations people have are reasonable is another story.
He was let go. Have not heard any specifics on why.
On a somewhat related note, any chance Powell County moves out of the 14th Region if the statewide redistricting happens? On a Hometown 24 broadcast, Jamie Hughes said he didn't think the 14th would lose anyone, but possibly gain schools.
(03-28-2024, 11:30 AM)FanoftheBasketball Wrote:

Any chance they hire Coach Crowe? He had great success at the middle school level and this young group coming up really seemed to respond to him.
(03-28-2024, 09:40 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: On a somewhat related note, any chance Powell County moves out of the 14th Region if the statewide redistricting happens? On a Hometown 24 broadcast, Jamie Hughes said he didn't think the 14th would lose anyone, but possibly gain schools.

I think their either is or was talk of adding Montgomery County to the 14th. Seems like they are playing a lot more 14th region teams than what they use too...Montgomery County isn't the same Montgomery County as years past.
Heard today they were after Heston Beverly to come and Coach. Bring his son with him and a few more. Interesting to see what happens here.
Does he have any experience?
(03-29-2024, 12:22 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Heard today they were after Heston Beverly to come and Coach.  Bring his son with him and a few more.  Interesting to see what happens here.
You make up crap as you go.
Job has been posted. Haven’t heard too much yet. Couple assistants and a head coach in the area but that’s it so far.
Not sure if Powell County would hire someone who wasn't in the school system but if he was interested, Hondo Hearne would be a really good option.
Thanks for calling me out Gladiator Woman. Glad you think it’s fake news.
Why would they go after someone who doesn’t work in the school system and son will be a senior?
Hondo knows the game of basketball better than most, is Powell County true and true and would be committed to building a program there. With his personality too, he'd have a lot more kids interested in coming out and playing. As big of a school as Powell is numbers wise, their is no excuse why they aren't up there with Perry, Knott, Hazard each year.
(03-31-2024, 03:33 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Thanks for calling me out Gladiator Woman.  Glad you think it’s fake news.
You are fake!
Same as you. Fake Gladitor. More like Wussy Boy
Let me say this, Sheriff Beverly will be taking over at Powell soon. He will be bringing about 3/4 in with him to. Powell will own the region.
It’s the middle school coaches job. If I know Powell county politics and I think I do, it doesn’t matter if Coach K came out of retirement and wanted to coach at Powell. The job is already decided on and he will get it. He is a part of the administration, son is coming in as a freshman and they just fired a coach who won back to back district for the first time in 2 decades. Seems like the decision has already been made to me.
(04-04-2024, 09:27 AM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote: It’s the middle school coaches job. If I know Powell county politics and I think I do, it doesn’t matter if Coach K came out of retirement and wanted to coach at Powell. The job is already decided on and he will get it. He is a part of the administration, son is coming in as a freshman and they just fired a coach who won back to back district for the first time in 2 decades. Seems like the decision has already been made to me.

I keep hearing this. Back to back districts. It's laughable in the one of the weakest districts in the region. Wasted more talent than Powell has seen in 2 decades more like it.
(04-04-2024, 05:17 PM)williamsfan1930 Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 09:27 AM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote: It’s the middle school coaches job. If I know Powell county politics and I think I do, it doesn’t matter if Coach K came out of retirement and wanted to coach at Powell. The job is already decided on and he will get it. He is a part of the administration, son is coming in as a freshman and they just fired a coach who won back to back district for the first time in 2 decades. Seems like the decision has already been made to me.

I keep hearing this. Back to back districts. It's laughable in the one of the weakest districts in the region. Wasted more talent than Powell has seen in 2 decades more like it.
I think Powell County highly over rates their talent and basketball pedigree.