Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early takeaways in the 14th
Drew miller is the best defensive catcher in the 14th and it’s no where close, his ability to block and frame pitches can help get Powells pitchers out of tough situations. he displayed this very well in what i seen in the game against Rowan.
(04-09-2024, 02:52 PM)Engineerfan165 Wrote: Drew miller is the best defensive catcher in the 14th and it’s no where close, his ability to block and frame pitches can help get Powells pitchers out of tough situations. he displayed this very well in what i seen in the game against Rowan.
this is very true, havent seen someone else better
Here comes Hazard. Big win over Breathitt last night. Napier kid shut down the bats and showed himself as one of the top pitchers in the region. With the addition of Bryan Dean to the dugout and having 2 HOF coaches on the same team I think I gotta move Hazard to my 2 spot right now.

1. Powell
2. Hazard
3. Breathitt (w healthy Bellamy)
4. Knott
5. Wolfe
6. Estill
(04-09-2024, 05:52 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote: Here comes Hazard. Big win over Breathitt last night. Napier kid shut down the bats and showed himself as one of the top pitchers in the region. With the addition of Bryan Dean to the dugout and having 2 HOF coaches on the same team I think I gotta move Hazard to my 2 spot right now.

1. Powell
2. Hazard
4. Knott
5. Wolfe
6. Estill

I'd flip Estill and Wolfe. Estill already beat them once this season which was at Wolfe.

Wolfe hasn't really beaten anyone. Montgomery County twice who is wayyyy down. Perry County Central who is also down and they split with Johnson Central and Lee County who is near the bottom of the 14th.

Estill on the other hand has beat both Lee  and Owsley (Which they always should) and Bath County (13-4) (Who beat Estill in a scrimmage before the season).

Other than that, this list is pretty darn accurate.
(04-09-2024, 11:18 AM)Strikeout King Wrote: I’d flip Estill and Wolfe. Estill already beat Wolfe once this year at Wolfe. Other than that it’s pretty accurate.
It sounds like Wolfe lost their starting catcher to a knee injury during the first game of the season. If that’s true, along with the other injury to their best pitcher, then I 100% agree with you. Unless they are extremely deep, it will be hard for Wolfe to win this year. The only game I saw this year was against Boyd and it looked like they had a little leaguer at second base. Catcher didn’t look good. That’s a bad position to lose. Estill should definitely be ranked higher than them.

I think if Breathitt ace doesn’t pitch this year then it may be Powells to lose
(04-09-2024, 06:12 PM)14th Official Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 11:18 AM)Strikeout King Wrote: I’d flip Estill and Wolfe. Estill already beat Wolfe once this year at Wolfe. Other than that it’s pretty accurate.
It sounds like Wolfe lost their starting catcher to a knee injury during the first game of the season. If that’s true, along with the other injury to their best pitcher, then I 100% agree with you. Unless they are extremely deep, it will be hard for Wolfe to win this year. The only game I saw this year was against Boyd and it looked like they had a little leaguer at second base. Catcher didn’t look good. That’s a bad position to lose. Estill should definitely be ranked higher than them.

I think if Breathitt ace doesn’t pitch this year then it may be Powells to lose
Top teams this year has to be Hazard and Powell with Knott right in the mix. With Bellamy being limited it really hurts Breathitt’s chances. Same with Wolfe, they already had lost the top pitcher they had in Molands. ( probably one of the better pitchers in the region)  and losing Wilson ( probably the best catcher in the region) really hurts their chances. Estill is capable of playing good baseball but I can’t see them competing with Hazard or Powell as they’ve already lost to both.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bulldog19's post:
  • kwnickell24
Top two teams in 14th as of today are Powell and Hazard. When Coach Dean was added to Hazard’s dugout, they definitely moved up. Powell is playing the best right now so give them the nod as top team. Knott comes in at 3rd, and then Breathitt . Wolfe over Estill, even though Estill beat them but they haven’t really beat anyone else.
(04-09-2024, 10:55 AM)Bluecat Wrote: The region should  be really fun this year. Multiple teams can win. Depends on the draw and who has the most arms.

Where is region at this year?
Knott co
[-] The following 1 user Likes Baseball247's post:
  • Bluecat
(04-09-2024, 05:59 PM)Strikeout King Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 05:52 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote: Here comes Hazard. Big win over Breathitt last night. Napier kid shut down the bats and showed himself as one of the top pitchers in the region. With the addition of Bryan Dean to the dugout and having 2 HOF coaches on the same team I think I gotta move Hazard to my 2 spot right now.

1. Powell
2. Hazard
4. Knott
5. Wolfe
6. Estill

I'd flip Estill and Wolfe. Estill already beat them once this season which was at Wolfe.

Wolfe hasn't really beaten anyone. Montgomery County twice who is wayyyy down. Perry County Central who is also down and they split with Johnson Central and Lee County who is near the bottom of the 14th.

Estill on the other hand has beat both Lee  and Owsley (Which they always should) and Bath County (13-4) (Who beat Estill in a scrimmage before the season).

Wolfe never lost to Lee. If they did that would automatically disqualify them from being on any of my lists the rest of the year. For me what it comes down to for each team is looking at their top 2 pitchers. Because in region that’s all you need. Some teams may play better in the regular season because their staff is deeper. In region you’re only seeing 1’s and 2’s. But Wolfe (Whisman, Oliver) Breathitt (Bellamy, Howard) Powell (Dicken, Begley/Nickel) are the only 3 teams with 2 dominant arms. Other teams that could make a run with a good draw and only having to take down one “top” team are Hazard (Napier), Letcher (Williams), Knott (just because they’re a well rounded team no real dominant arms). Estill just doesn’t have the pitching for the tournament for me. Niece is good but he’s really all they have. Just one man’s opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radial_Armsaw's post:
  • Bluecat
(04-10-2024, 04:58 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 05:59 PM)Strikeout King Wrote:

1. Powell
2. Hazard
4. Knott
5. Wolfe
6. Estill

Wolfe never lost to Lee. If they did that would automatically disqualify them from being on any of my lists the rest of the year. For me what it comes down to for each team is looking at their top 2 pitchers. Because in region that’s all you need. Some teams may play better in the regular season because their staff is deeper. In region you’re only seeing 1’s and 2’s. But Wolfe (Whisman, Oliver) Breathitt (Bellamy, Howard) Powell (Dicken, Begley/Nickel) are the only 3 teams with 2 dominant arms. Other teams that could make a run with a good draw and only having to take down one “top” team are Hazard (Napier), Letcher (Williams), Knott (just because they’re a well rounded team no real dominant arms). Estill just doesn’t have the pitching for the tournament for me. Niece is good but he’s really all they have. Just one man’s opinion.

misunderstood. I said Wolfe had beat Lee which is near the bottom of the 14th
Looks like Wolfe has beat someone now!
[-] The following 1 user Likes 14th region fanman's post:
  • Bigbluewarehouse
(04-10-2024, 10:58 PM)14th region fanman Wrote: Looks like Wolfe has beat someone now!
Wow! Big win
Looks like wolfe county has got some things clicking for them now on an 8 game win-streak beating hazard and knott county. looking forward to what they do at all a state next week.
I feel Powell is at the top with about 4-5 teams jumbled up behind them with Wolfe, Knott, Hazard, Breathitt, and Estill.
Estill and Breathitt in a pitchers duel in Jackson. 0-0 going to 6th. Niece for Estill. Bellamy started for Breathitt. Went 4 and was replaced. Something about an previous injury and they didn’t wanna risk him hurting it anymore so they limited him
I don’t understand people putting Knott towards the bottom and hazard at two. Knott has beat them twice. I know they don’t have a shut down pitcher but they also play great defense and put the ball in play against most any pitchers. I understand that when regions come around and they face the top on the team they will maybe struggle to score runs and could lead them to losing. Until that time I believe they have shown to be one of the top teams in the region. Mine as of right now.

Powell- probably the best wins in the region to this point. They hit play, play good defense, and pitch well with going about 5 deep if need be and not lose really anything. They are the top until someone beats them.
Knott- still feel like they deserve this spot and earned it up till this point.
Wolfe- starting to play good but played some pretty easy teams so far in the 8 game winning streak outside of hazard and Knott. The next two weeks will tell a lot. Their schedule gets increasingly harder. They also play less games they have like 26 scheduled when everyone else is trying to get 35 in. So they seem to have more top pitchers available.
Hazard- playing better seems to me when they throw their top they are in games. When they don’t they lose or it’s a battle. Need to find another arm to make a run.
Breathitt- without Bellamy they might be lower. With him this might be their ceiling. Whoever they play first and gets Bellamy will struggle. But he hasn’t been dominant.
Estill- mainly cause they have beat Wolfe but no one else. Played them close so will be a hard out in the tournament.
(04-09-2024, 01:28 PM)bsblfan13 Wrote: Who do you guys have as the best player in the region?
Rylan Simpson- Leslie Co. SS
43 hits/72 ab's  (.572 Average) 43 hits Leads State
3 Home Runs 
22 RBI's
38 runs scored (Leads State)
31 Stolen Bases
.958 Slugging %
Dylan Carter has 61 ABs with 25 hits, .410 AVG. He is the lead off for Powell and the Centerfield to their dominant outfield. Comparing Leslie and Powell schedules, I think Dylan should get a higher vote here.
(04-19-2024, 05:40 PM)14th_regionfan Wrote: Dylan Carter has 61 ABs with 25 hits, .410 AVG. He is the lead off for Powell and the Centerfield to their dominant outfield. Comparing Leslie and Powell schedules, I think Dylan should get a higher vote here.
Outside of Harrison and Rowan they’ve played a similar schedule. Many of the same teams. Also, not sure that makes up for .160 in BA, or 3 home runs, etc. 

the numbers speak for themselves. Carter is a great player in his own right.
(04-19-2024, 05:40 PM)14th_regionfan Wrote: Dylan Carter has 61 ABs with 25 hits, .410 AVG. He is the lead off for Powell and the Centerfield to their dominant outfield. Comparing Leslie and Powell schedules, I think Dylan should get a higher vote here.
There are a couple region kids on the new KHSAA stat leader sheet

Thumbnail(s)

Leslie’s schedule isn’t even comparable to Powell’s. They have played ten teams who have a losing record. Powell has played two. Fleming and owsley. Powell’s rpi is 64 which is top 25 in the state. Leslie is around the 45 in rpi rating. Simpson is a great player. I agree he should get recognized for his performance but to compare the two teams to playing the same level of competition is laughable honestly. Absolutely no disrespect to them they have to play what’s in front of them. I believe cam Oliver should be in the talks as well for player of the year. He has been playing well and arguably the best kid on wolves team.
If winning the state 2A championship doesn’t prove that Powell County doesn’t have a better schedule then Leslie then I don’t know what will.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ProBaller365's post:
  • kwnickell24
Powell County beats #4 team in the state. After being around the top 15 in the state in RPI for the last couple weeks it would be insane for PBR to not rank them top 25. Seems like they have to pitch off against Breathitt. Anyway, I think Powell is definitely one in the region, I think its time to give them the credit they deserve.
i’m changing my name to powell fan after tn, best coaching staff and players in the 14th by far.
It appears at this juncture of the season that Powell County is the region’s top team and there’s a sizable gap between them and whichever teams are the next best.
Winning the 2A title and defeating a highly rated Taylor County team is enough evidence for me. Plus a 17-4 record against a very stout schedule is impressive.
(04-21-2024, 10:35 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: It appears at this juncture of the season that Powell County is the region’s top team and there’s a sizable gap between them and whichever teams are the next best.
Winning the 2A title and defeating a highly rated Taylor County team is enough evidence for me. Plus a 17-4 record against a very stout schedule is impressive.
I don’t think anyone in the 14th can knock off powell.