Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wayne County Coach Saga
What is goin on with Wayne County Basketball Coach, I've seen lots of comments surrounding this situation from media personalities and fans, I came here to get the scoop but I can't find a thing.
We had a good 2 page thread with good information but we had to move it because folks just can't help themselves from personal attacks on other members and then it just went south.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(04-02-2024, 12:05 PM)Spoozer12 Wrote: What is goin on with Wayne County Basketball Coach, I've seen lots of comments surrounding this situation from media personalities and fans, I came here to get the scoop but I can't find a thing.
The new superintendent had a personal agenda in firing Coach Woods due to Wood’s wife being on the selection comittee when the current superintendent was struck down in 2014. Fired him via mail. Awful situation and I see him back on the side lines next year somewhere. Rumor on the street is Jarrod Parmley WCHS Assistant principal is front runner for this job. Doesn’t have much HS coaching experience, and no high school head coach experience to my knowledge. Coaches AAU teams right now. If I was him I wouldn’t touch the job because of all the pressure on him, and the publicity surrounding the dismissal of woods. If I was the superintendent I would try to convince woods to reapply. Sad times in Monticello, Coach Woods is a legend!
Woods was fired by the superintendent, Don Neal, that started the job last August. Woods' wife had sat on a screening committee 10yrs ago that did not recommend Neal for the superintendent position that was open at that time. Most people in Wayne feel that Neal bought his way into the current super job and is on a bit of a revenge tour. The rumors that Woods would be let go at the end of the season have run rampant since Neal was hired. Neal sent a central office staffer to Woods' house to tell him he was relieved of his duties.

Wayne was 24-8 on the year and won district. Wayne will return 11 of 12 players (assuming none transfer) for next year. Wayne has a 60% winning percentage over the last 10 years and a 55% winning percentage over the last 5.
Thanks guys, now I know way more than I did.
Was Coach Woods a tenured teacher?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Coach Woods is a retired teacher and athletic director.
(04-02-2024, 05:12 PM)Gravy Wrote: Coach Woods is a retired teacher and athletic director.

Gotcha. Thanks
#BBFL
(04-02-2024, 03:21 PM)4AKentuckyBoy Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 12:05 PM)Spoozer12 Wrote: What is goin on with Wayne County Basketball Coach, I've seen lots of comments surrounding this situation from media personalities and fans, I came here to get the scoop but I can't find a thing.
The new superintendent had a personal agenda in firing Coach Woods due to Wood’s wife being on the selection comittee when the current superintendent was struck down in 2014. Fired him via mail. Awful situation and I see him back on the side lines next year somewhere. Rumor on the street is Jarrod Parmley WCHS Assistant principal is front runner for this job. Doesn’t have much HS coaching experience, and no high school head coach experience to my knowledge. Coaches AAU teams right now. If I was him I wouldn’t touch the job because of all the pressure on him, and the publicity surrounding the dismissal of woods. If I was the superintendent I would try to convince woods to reapply. Sad times in Monticello, Coach Woods is a legend!

So I guess one could say, in a roundabout but real sort of way, Coach Woods' wife has cost him two coaching jobs(Corbin, four decades ago  and now Wayne).    Women !!!   My
(04-02-2024, 06:03 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

So I guess one could say, in a roundabout but real sort of way, Coach Woods' wife has cost him two coaching jobs(Corbin, four decades ago  and now Wayne).    Women !!!   My
Classless
[-] The following 1 user Likes insideinfo's post:
  • BCE
This is a tragedy top to bottom
You win that many games
You deserve/ earned the right to go out on own being loyal to a place it’s unimaginable to be let go off vengeance
(04-02-2024, 07:49 PM)insideinfo Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 06:03 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Classless

Yeah, some might say a May-November passion play is classless but it happens. 
I've known the lady since she was in early grade school. She once bragged in the teacher's lounge about seducing Coach and how he was easy pickins. Again, I don't take a bad view of any man for falling prey to a young girl. Most of us have fallen under the spell of a lovely young Lolita. I have more than once.  He's had a great career and will go down as one of the best to ever do it... coach, that is.  Just shows again that politics is involved in every single facet of life. And all politics is local.
shame what happened with wood
Job closed last night. We can probably expect an announcement this week.
Interviews today. Could know something as soon as this afternoon.
(04-09-2024, 10:08 AM)Gravy Wrote: Interviews today.  Could know something as soon as this afternoon.
I’m hearing Jarrod Parmley. WCHS assistant principal. Who all applied? Any big names? 

Also heard there will be a mass exodus of Wayne County players. Gonna hurt multiple programs including baseball and football.

Jared Parmley officially hired as new high school basketball coach at Wayne county. Confirmed by the schools Facebook.
Worst kept secret in Wayne County. Heard there were 4-5 applicants but only 2 interviews.

I'm not so sure about the mass exodus. Hearing one football player wasn't playing basketball no matter who was coach. (I think he'll be talked into playing....likes the roar of the crowd too much.) Two players are possible transfers. Baseball isn't affected. Parmley's first job is to keep everyone in the fold.
Very interesting read from the Wayne county webiste:

Wayne County High School Assistant Principal Jarrad Parmley has been selected to fill the position as head coach for the boys’ high school basketball team at Wayne County High School. Candidates for the position were interviewed on Tuesday, April 9th.

Wayne County Superintendent Don Neal welcomes Parmley to the position as head coach. Neal said it was time to take the program in a new direction, with new objectives and a different operational philosophy. He is hoping in this phase of the history of the local boys’ basketball program, to raise the bar for more student players to succeed with their best interests in mind, by teaching more skills from the ground up.

Neal is hoping to restore a 12th regional win in the future, after a lapse of wins at that level over the past ten years.

“Mr. Parmley does a great job as an administrator and I know he will do the same as the boys’ head basketball coach, as well,” said Neal. “I have worked with Mr. Parmley over the years serving in the position as a school administrator. He is fair-minded and has a passion for basketball. He cares about kids,” said Superintendent Neal.

Parmley is self-motivated and says he has spent his whole life in the basketball world. He is anxious to meet with his team and let them know he wants to provide the very best environment for them and meet their needs.

“My family and I are very humbled and excited for this opportunity. I certainly am appreciative for the chance to lead and continue to build a program with such a rich tradition. I will be committed to the development of our student-athletes both on and off the court. I’m ready to work hard and bring a brand of basketball the Wayne County/Monticello community can be proud of!”

He plans to begin his long-range plans by focusing on revamping the youth league programs for preschool through fifth grade. “We have things in place, but I’d like to enhance them. Being a skills guy, I want to focus on skills at all levels,” said Parmley.

Many people are unaware of Parmley’s dual success both as an educator and as a master skills trainer for basketball. He is somewhat of an unsung hero for youth regarding the athletic portion of his dual careers because most local people know him simply as the assistant principal during the school day dealing with discipline, teacher observations, safety, and the daily duties. However, in his off time, he has become a dedicated master skills trainer. He studied and used a variety of skills training curriculum from several NBA trainers to develop his own brand of skills training.

He has even had the privilege of seeing four of his girl players become prestigious McDonald’s All-American athletes over the years. Many of the boys and girls he has mentored on the basketball court have been from out-of-town, however, one of his recent local star players is Macey Blevins, who plays college basketball.

“I just do it for the kids,” said Parmley. “I have a love for the game of basketball and I enjoy giving them the opportunity to reach their goals and dreams.”

He explained that he was just like any other Kentucky kid growing up admiring the Kentucky Wildcats, playing basketball in the yard with his brothers. The Wayne County native played varsity basketball at Monticello High School from 1995 to 1997, prior to serving as assistant coach for their high school boys’ team from 1998 to 2004. In the meantime, he completed his Bachelor’s Degree at Eastern Kentucky University, and later followed up with his Master’s Degree in Instructional Leadership at University of the Cumberlands, while employed at Wayne County Schools.

Parmley has a knack for communicating well with students having served as a teacher, as well as an assistant principal both at Wayne County Middle School and Wayne County High School. He will continue in the role of assistant principal at WCHS where he has served since 2016. He taught English at WCHS from 2004-2013 where he enjoyed being inside the classroom. He also served as assistant girls’ basketball coach for Wayne County from 2004-2009.

He brings an impressive background as the co-founder of Kentucky Premier NIKE Elite Youth Basketball League that was established back in 2009. The Kentucky Premier AAU program has helped develop players, as well as provide them opportunities for exposure for college recruitment and scholarships. Having served as the head coach of Kentucky Premier, he has coached and trained over 100 college level athletes from NAIA to Division 1 competition from an early start.

More recently, he founded and became master skills leader of Kentucky Premier and Max RPM Skills Clinics. From 2010-2024, he organized and led large scale basketball clinics at various venues across Kentucky. Then from 2018-2024, he became founder and master skills trainer for MaxRPM Basketball where he has trained many young players from Kentucky, both boys and girls. In addition, he has trained both in person and virtually.

He is excited to bring ideas and for local camps and clinics to build culture, excitement, and skills. He plans to reach out to the community and wants them to continue doing a good job supporting local athletes. He would also like to aid in bridging the gap between high school and travel ball, that will hopefully lead into scholarship opportunities. A new high school strength and conditioning program is part of his vision, plus a new skill development program for high school and middle school.

“Coaching basketball can be a challenging profession but like most things that are hard the rewards can be extremely high,” Parmley realizes.

Parmley is married to Hannah Roberts Parmley, who is a third-grade teacher at Monticello Elementary. The couple have four boys: Ryker is in fourth grade at Monticello Elementary, Paxton is in second grade at Bell Elementary, Maddox is in preschool at Walker Early Learning Center and Beckett is two-years-old in daycare.

He and his family are members of First Christian Church.
(04-10-2024, 11:27 AM)Gravy Wrote: Worst kept secret in Wayne County.  Heard there were 4-5 applicants but only 2 interviews.

I'm not so sure about the mass exodus.  Hearing one football player wasn't playing basketball no matter who was coach.  (I think he'll be talked into playing....likes the roar of the crowd too much.) Two players are possible transfers.  Baseball isn't affected.  Parmley's first job is to keep everyone in the fold.

That one football player has also been contacted by 2-3 schools up north. Wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t in red and black next year. 
The two possible transfers are big parts of the team. SCS already has been in contact. Baseball could be effected, but just a role player. We shall see.
Well, you know, the other rumor going is that Gover will move to AD at SCS and Woods will move to HC. Who knows? Woods did state in his interviews that he was taking care of his grand-kids and going to UT games and not coaching anymore.

The contacts from "up North" have been happening since middle school for the one football player. He also got mad at Woods and didn't play his sophomore year. I'm pretty certain he even moved for a while once. Last I heard, he really liked Guffey and his football staff.

The one player moved to Wayne to play for Woods so that one is entirely possible and may be likely. Practically lives in Pulaski anyway.

The other one goes to the same church (so I'm told) as the new coach and is on a course the break the all time leading scoring record at Wayne.

Baseball player also plays football and is a key part of that team. Not sure what his favorite sport is but pretty good at all three.

Are these kids playing for a coach or their school?

Either way, is sucks all around. Had one player's parent tell me their kid just wants play. Kid hates the way it went down with Woods but also hates seeing all the comments about players should quit, transfer, not show up and people should boycott the games. Just wants to get to work and play ball with his teammates. Kids are only in HS a short time.

Honestly if I'm Woods, who has preached for years that you play for the school and not yourself, I release a statement saying, "hey, I was treated like complete crap but these kids and parents had nothing to do with it. go support this team as they represent your school". Instead, the "official" X account is re-posting every comment that is pro-Woods while only following 3 certain player's accounts. That's just me though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gravy's post:
  • 4AKentuckyBoy
(04-10-2024, 03:23 PM)4AKentuckyBoy Wrote:
(04-10-2024, 11:27 AM)Gravy Wrote: Worst kept secret in Wayne County.  Heard there were 4-5 applicants but only 2 interviews.

I'm not so sure about the mass exodus.  Hearing one football player wasn't playing basketball no matter who was coach.  (I think he'll be talked into playing....likes the roar of the crowd too much.) Two players are possible transfers.  Baseball isn't affected.  Parmley's first job is to keep everyone in the fold.

That one football player has also been contacted by 2-3 schools up north. Wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t in red and black next year. 
The two possible transfers are big parts of the team. SCS already has been in contact. Baseball could be effected, but just a role player. We shall see.
Farmer going home to Clay Co.?
After covid rules and all the other changes, I'm out of the loop transfers. Since Wayne is the only high school in the county, what are the rules if one of the players were to want to transfer? Is it a free for all now or do athletes have to actually move or have a parent work in a neighboring school system? I know some students, who don't play sports, live in WC but go to school in Pulaski.
(04-17-2024, 05:16 PM)Gravy Wrote: After covid rules and all the other changes, I'm out of the loop transfers.  Since Wayne is the only high school in the county, what are the rules if one of the players were to want to transfer?  Is it a free for all now or do athletes have to actually move or have a parent work in a neighboring school system?  I know some students, who don't play sports, live in WC but go to school in Pulaski.
Farmer going to Ckay Co. ? Kin to Richie ?
(04-18-2024, 12:10 AM)BUFFALO Wrote: Farmer going to Ckay Co. ? Kin to Richie ?

No clue if Farmer is leaving or where he would go. Not sure about kin either.

Riley Woods, Rodney's son, was fired as soccer head coach yesterday. He coached Wayne to it's first ever district championship this season.
Been following this story from Floyd Co, and just a sad reminder of how the machine runs in these parts. Not only the good ol boy politics, but the super-intendent holding a decades long grudge, against his wife of all things. No denying Coach Woods was and still is a legend, not only in that area, eastern Kentucky, but the entire state as a whole. Hopefully he still has the desire to coach, and can land in a great spot somewhere else.
Rumors that Dumphord enrolled at Southwestern today.
It wasn’t that long ago that a few boys from Long Jack and 4 mile, would have made the trip over to Wayne Co. and every thing would have been settled pretty quick.
(04-23-2024, 04:03 PM)insideinfo Wrote: It wasn’t that long ago that a few boys from Long Jack and 4 mile, would have made the trip over to Wayne Co. and every thing would have been settled pretty quick.

What changed there? Woods was railroaded and nothing seems to be happening to overturn that which is a shame.
This younger generation doesn’t have the scrooples the older generaration has. A long time ago I use to play softball against these boys, they fight you, whip you, whatever it would take to win. I guarantee you they would payed the superintendent a visit by now, cause old Andy wouldn’t have allowed anyone to mess with the Woods brothers.