Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iowa 71 UConn 69 (Women's Final Four)
UConn gets screwed. You cannot call that foul at that point in the game. Well, unless you want undefeated South Carolina and Caitlin Clark's Iowa in the finals. If so, then you make that call.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • jetpilot
(04-06-2024, 12:48 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote: UConn gets screwed. You cannot call that foul at that point in the game. Well, unless you want undefeated South Carolina and Caitlin Clark's Iowa in the finals. If so, then you make that call.
UCONN absolutely didn't get screwed. The call was clearly the right one. I do not understand people that say you don't make a call, even an obvious correct call, in the final few seconds of a game. That's a foul at the 19:40 mark of the first half and it's a foul  with 3.9 seconds remaining. A clear forearm on the pick by #3.

The only thing that would have made the outcome even better was if Geno had collapsed to the floor , weeping and wailing in tears of agony.
(04-06-2024, 11:48 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: UCONN absolutely didn't get screwed. The call was clearly the right one. I do not understand people that say you don't make a call, even an obvious correct call, in the final few seconds of a game. That's a foul at the 19:40 mark of the first half and it's a foul  with 3.9 seconds remaining. A clear forearm on the pick by #3.

The only thing that would have made the outcome even better was if Geno had collapsed to the floor , weeping and wailing in tears of agony.

I don't think it was a foul. Even if it was, it didn't get her open or cause UConn to gain an advantage and I think you don't call it at that point in the game.

I get what you are saying about "a foul is a foul", but refs call tighter early on to set the tone and they'll also call really tight after a skirmish to reestablish control.

Or the 50/50 where an offensive post player looks like they go over the back and the ball is tipped out last off the defender but the ref gives the defensive team the ball instead of making a 50/50 call that tags a star with a huge foul. Same for "missing" a walk when someone has come down with a rebound and gets bumped.

Those things all happen. I don't think she fouled and even if so, you can't make that call at that point in the game.
(04-06-2024, 03:18 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(04-06-2024, 11:48 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: UCONN absolutely didn't get screwed. The call was clearly the right one. I do not understand people that say you don't make a call, even an obvious correct call, in the final few seconds of a game. That's a foul at the 19:40 mark of the first half and it's a foul  with 3.9 seconds remaining. A clear forearm on the pick by #3.

I don't think it was a foul. Even if it was, it didn't get her open or cause UConn to gain an advantage and I think you don't call it at that point in the game.

I get what you are saying about "a foul is a foul", but refs call tighter early on to set the tone and they'll also call really tight after a skirmish to reestablish control.

Or the 50/50 where an offensive post player looks like they go over the back and the ball is tipped out last off the defender but the ref gives the defensive team the ball instead of making a 50/50 call that tags a star with a huge foul. Same for "missing" a walk when someone has come down with a rebound and gets bumped.

Those things all happen. I don't think she fouled and even if so, you can't make that call at that point in the game.

I disagree and apparently the referee did , as well. Should all whistles be swallowed the last five seconds of the game?
(04-06-2024, 11:20 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I disagree and apparently the referee did , as well. Should all whistles be swallowed the last five seconds of the game?

I don't think all whistles should be swallowed, but I don't think you make that call. I saw another video of the screen today and think that it looked worse. At the same time, I think the angle, live speed, and ref's positioning can make a difference. Usually the refs who are the worst cheaters have a way of being really slick about what they miss, IMO.
If it was a foul at all it was a "ticky tack" foul that isn't called 90% of the time and certainly shouldn't have been called in that situation. Even though not a full flop, there was some acting by the defensive player that made it look worse than it was.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Cactus Jack
You extended those elbows and your back foot is still dragging they are going to call that 90% of the time.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Cactus Jack