Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Open Job: Kentucky
With it now a done deal for Cal going to Arkansas. Who will be Kentucky’s next head coach. 

I personally would reach out to Billy Donovan. Announcement after the Bulls get eliminated in the playin tournament.
Clay Travis
@ClayTravis
·
30m
Okay, you’re the AD, who do you hire at Kentucky? Names I think you have to ask who will probably say no: Danny Hurley & Jay Wright. Then in no order guys I’d go after: Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl, Nate Oats, Rick Pitino!, this is going to be fun. Who’s your guy?
If Barnhart had any b@ll$ he would get Pitino.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • cherokee, pjdoug
Clay Travis
@ClayTravis
Chris Beard had to be on list too. I have zero doubt Pearl would win a title at UK. He’s almost done it at Auburn, would have done it already at Tennessee but for the stupid BBQ scandal. Oats has agreed to extension at Bama, but how locked in is it? Pitino back at UK vs Cal would be riveting.
I hope the new coach doesn't think that they are bigger than the program.  I also hope the new coach doesn't forget that they are being paid to win national championships and not just put players in the NBA.  The program has to come before the players.
[-] The following 3 users Like Westside's post:
  • Granny Bear, jetpilot, pjdoug
Matt Jones reposted
Big Cat
@BarstoolBigCat
The minute Cal talked to Arkansas he could never go back to Kentucky. Its done

But honestly it’s a blessing for Kentucky. Instead of a couple more years of tourney failures you’re going to get a great coach and win right away. Kentucky is 1 billion times bigger than Cal
11:13 PM · Apr 7, 2024
·
Views
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • rookie57
(04-08-2024, 01:48 AM)jetpilot Wrote: If Barnhart had any b@ll$ he would get Pitino.

It's a shame Barnhart didn't go with Cal.
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot, rookie57
It should be Danny Hurley or Bust!!! He's gonna win a second straight title tonight and I've heard he would absolutely take Mitch's call the minute the national championship game is over. I fear Mitch will go Drew 3:16.

Hurley could be announced the new UK coach as early as this coming week if Mitch would make that call and forget about his Bible Brother in Waco. We all remember Waco don't we? Drew at Kenucky would end just as bad.
^^^We all know how much you hate God but please can't you just leave religion and politics out of this hire!!! We just want the best BASKETBALL COACH.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • rookie57
(04-08-2024, 01:50 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Clay Travis
@ClayTravis
Chris Beard had to be on list too. I have zero doubt Pearl would win a title at UK. He’s almost done it at Auburn, would have done it already at Tennessee but for the stupid BBQ scandal. Oats has agreed to extension at Bama, but how locked in is it? Pitino back at UK vs Cal would be riveting.

I don't see Kentucky hiring Chris Beard. I can't see Rick Pitino either.

Most common names I'm seeing in national articles: Dan Hurley, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Nate Oats, Scott Drew, and Bruce Pearl.

Don't see Hurley or Wright because they're more comfortable where they are.

Don't see Billy Donovan unless the Bulls fire him (or the writing is on the wall that they are at least ready to fire him).

Oats has a large buyout at Alabama but now that UK is out from under Cal's contract, he's on the table. I'd also think he has to realize that he may be near his ceiling at Alabama right now. Maybe he's able to win a national championship there, or maybe he's another Mark Few with good teams and lots of near misses. I think he's the best candidate and his biggest baggage seems to be the Brandon Miller deal. Calipari has been called a Saint, but no one mentions the Tyreke Evans charges.

Scott Drew would work and he's a name I've liked, but he's getting up there in years and may not have a lot left in the tank. Maybe not the worst name to come in and nurture the program while the school looks for someone who'll lead for the next decade.

I have a hard time seeing Pearl unless a few big names have publicly turned down the job first.
This is being reported by some media sources.
Kentucky intends to offer Dan Hurley a deal that “he can’t refuse” according to sources close with AD Mitch Barnhart…

The deal would reportedly make Dan Hurley the highest paid coach in college basketball history.
(04-08-2024, 07:12 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 01:48 AM)jetpilot Wrote: If Barnhart had any b@ll$ he would get Pitino.

It's a shame Barnhart didn't go with Cal.
AMEN!
(04-08-2024, 12:18 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: This is being reported by some media sources.
Kentucky intends to offer Dan Hurley a deal that “he can’t refuse” according to sources close with AD Mitch Barnhart…

The deal would reportedly make Dan Hurley the highest paid coach in college basketball history.

There's money in the state of Connecticut too. As much as I'd love to see it and as much as I worry about the type of force that he could turn UConn into, I just can't see this one happening.

He's a Northeast guy, his family's roots in the game are in the area, and unfortunately, there's just too much going against Kentucky here.

Regardless of what happens tonight, the only thing that I see getting him off his perch in Storrs anytime soon is an offer in the pros, and even then, I don't see him leaving for just any opening.
Everyone seems to start to lean towards Scott Drew at Baylor….
(04-08-2024, 01:50 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Everyone seems to start to lean towards Scott Drew at Baylor….

If so, he currently has a Top 10 recruiting class. Combo guard VJ Edgecomb is at the top of Drew's class and national rankings (#5 overall, #1 SG), and he hasn't signed a LOI. Kentucky was one of his finalists, and I'd expect him to follow Drew to Kentucky.

Others who have signed:

Rob Wright - PG, Montverde, FL, #25 overall

Jason Asemota - SF, Hillcrest Prep, AZ, #47 overall

Noah Boyed - PF, McCook Community College, NE, N/A

If the Drew train starts to take off, I'll do more on returnees who may follow him from Waco, but he had a lot of seniors and Ja'Kobe Walter is going to the NBA Draft (despite it not being announced).
Kentucky finally gets even with Arkansas for the Eddie Sutton hire lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes cherokee's post:
  • pjdoug
For everyone suggesting that UK should "make Hurley an offer he can't refuse":

If Dan Hurley wins tonight, how much is he crazy to turn down from Kentucky?

If Dan Hurley loses tonight, how much is he crazy to turn down from Kentucky?

My understanding of Hurley's contract situation has always been that his deal would be re-negotiated at season's end. I suspect that UConn will make him an offer that makes it hard to leave for another school, whether that is Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, or any other program that you could come up with.

We don't know what they'll ultimately offer him, but unless it's being able to offer a package that: is more rooted in base salary than bonuses, has more concessions for control of the program and pay for his staffers, and/or a guarantees more NIL money, then I'm unsure that the financials alone will be the difference.

This is probably oversimplified, but from what I've gathered, he's about to get more from renegotiating a contract that already pays his $32 million over 6 seasons. His current deal includes only $400K in base salary and "supplemental" salary of $4.1 million per; I'm guessing that this is how his contract needed to be structured per his State's guidelines on public employees, but again, that's just a guess. He also has a $500K per year "retention bonus" and other incentives. He's reportedly earning $1.25 million in incentives this season going into the day, and that figure would only increase should he win.

At a $5 million per base and with incentives of at least $1.25 million on a contract that's about to be renegotiated, then unless there's something I'm missing, Kentucky would probably have to pay him an NBA-level salary to walk away from his current situation.

Hurley would be crazy to turn down $12 million per year, but can Kentucky pay his buyout from UConn (which should jump) and the type of salary that is more on par with the $13.6 million that the fourth-highest paid coach in the NBA (Monty Williams) is currently getting? As much as I would love to see Hurley on the sidelines in Lexington, I think the answer is no.
I pray for Dan Hurley!!!!
We got the money and the donors need a big name. But it will be interesting to see how much money we do offer him or Jay Wright.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Jay Wright just gave a firm no to Kentucky.

I’ve heard they are gonna offer Dan Hurley a deal he can’t refuse.

Also heard same thing about Billy D.
Nate Oats just said No. he’s staying at Alabama.
So Nate Oats and Jay Wright are out. Not good for us
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I still fully expect Kentucky to make a run at Dan Hurley.
I wouldn't close the book on Nate Oats until Alabama has given him another raise-- and I know he just signed an extension. If he re-negotiates again, he's probably out of play. Until then, I'll wait and see.

It's one thing to say he's not interested in another school in his conference when he may not even be the leading candidate. It's an entirely different scenario if the money is on the table in front of him, IMO.

Obviously, this isn't a great sign, and it's looking more and more like Scott Drew is the most realistic option from the college game, but I'm not ready close the book on Oats, especially if the names ahead of him have yet to say no and Kentucky can make another run at him (and likely will if needed).
(04-08-2024, 10:41 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: I wouldn't close the book on Nate Oats until Alabama has given him another raise-- and I know he just signed an extension. If he re-negotiates again, he's probably out of play. Until then, I'll wait and see.

It's one thing to say he's not interested in another school in his conference when he may not even be the leading candidate.  It's an entirely different scenario if the money is on the table in front of him, IMO.

Obviously, this isn't a great sign, and it's looking more and more like Scott Drew is the most realistic option from the college game, but I'm not ready close the book on Oats, especially if the names ahead of him have yet to say no and Kentucky can make another run at him (and likely will if needed).

Kyle Tucker tweeted out that Nate had interest but then Alabama boosters kicked in and he decided to stay in Tuscaloosa.
Per Nate Oats himself.

Thumbnail(s)

(04-08-2024, 10:51 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Per Nate Oats himself.

I get it. But It wouldn't be the first time that a coach who was "fully committed" later reversed course. I think there's a better chance of Oats than Hurley, Beard, Pope, Pitino, and Otzelberger combined.

I'll still go Drew, Oats, and Donovan (if he's going to be fired) in order of likelihood.
(04-08-2024, 11:00 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 10:51 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Per Nate Oats himself.

I get it. But It wouldn't be the first time that a coach who was "fully committed" later reversed course. I think there's a better chance of Oats than Hurley, Beard, Pope, Pitino, and Otzelberger combined.

I'll still go Drew, Oats, and Donovan (if he's going to be fired) in order of likelihood.

Don’t won’t Drew
Kentucjy needs to go after Danny Hurley at UCONN and offer him a deal where he can’t say no
(04-08-2024, 11:02 PM)Strikeout King Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 11:00 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 10:51 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Per Nate Oats himself.

Don’t won’t Drew
Kentucjy needs to go after Danny Hurley at UCONN and offer him a deal where he can’t say no

I feel the same way but he is two years removed from winning a national title team with one of the best teams that's been assembled in a long time.
#BBFL
My wish list:

1. Dan Hurley
2. Brad Stevens
3. Billy Donavan

4. It's over for UK
#BBFL