Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harold Tackett named Head Coach at Prestonsburg
Despite posting still up until Monday.

PBURG has found their man.
Ricky took the easy way out to no one’s surprise.
[-] The following 2 users Like BCF4L's post:
  • Blacksmith, P. Fanning
Maybe the easy way works this time
dang that was fast... and not that surprising

(05-03-2024, 10:54 AM)BCF4L Wrote: Ricky took the easy way out to no one’s surprise.
Not even a little
(05-03-2024, 10:55 AM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote: Maybe the easy way works this time
Meh. This hire isn’t bringing kids to Prestonsburg to play. As a matter of fact, you likely have the opposite effect. And I like Harold. I do. He and I go way back but I just don’t understand this move at all.
Posting ends Monday at 3:30pm. Not sure why the announcement comes now. To me that's bad business.
I sure don't understand this hire.
I have no idea who and who didn't apply for the job, Harold obviously did, not sure if Mason Hall did or not, but that would've been my #1 call. He's had years of experience as an top assistant, even at the College level, and I'm sure he was ready to take on the task of coaching his own team, especially at the high school level. But oh well, just a baffling decision to make this hire and so quickly too. Could've taken some time to let other applicants get their name in, then go through the process of making a decision. This one was definitely rushed.
(05-03-2024, 11:14 AM)YouKnowNot Wrote: Posting ends Monday at 3:30pm. Not sure why the announcement comes now. To me that's bad business.
Isn't this against Floyd County Board of Education regulations to hire before the posting has ended? Am I missing something here?
(05-03-2024, 11:34 AM)-STAT- Wrote: I sure don't understand this hire. 
I have no idea who and who didn't apply for the job, Harold obviously did, not sure if Mason Hall did or not, but that would've been my #1 call. He's had years of experience as an top assistant, even at the College level, and I'm sure he was ready to take on the task of coaching his own team, especially at the high school level. But oh well, just a baffling decision to make this hire and so quickly too. Could've taken some time to let other applicants get their name in, then go through the process of making a decision. This one was definitely rushed.
Last I was told there were two names listed and neither Harold nor Mason were on it.
(05-03-2024, 12:08 PM)BCF4L Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 11:34 AM)-STAT- Wrote: I sure don't understand this hire. 
Last I was told there were two names listed and neither Harold nor Mason were on it.

harold will give them what they have needed for a long time…..Stability. If kids leave ohhhhhh welll. Didn’t need anyone who wasn’t committed anyway. He has done it at every level and had success and if people will buy in he will have success again. Too much is made about who a coach is, instead of what can we do to help him succeed. My advice to Pburg players and parents would be to try and help him succeed instead of complaining it wasn’t the coach you thought they should get.
(05-03-2024, 12:14 PM)SouthEast18 Wrote: harold will give them what they have needed for a long time…..Stability. If kids leave ohhhhhh welll. Didn’t need anyone who wasn’t committed anyway. He has done it at every level and had success and if people will buy in he will have success again. Too much is made about who a coach is, instead of what can we do to help him succeed. My advice to Pburg players and parents would be to try and help him succeed instead of complaining it wasn’t the coach you thought they should get.
Here is the problem with that statement. Prestonsburg is a small school who doesn't have an abundance of talent walking around the halls of the high school. So, when kids leave, who are they going to replace them with? You can't say "the next man up", when you don't have the players who can fill those roles. As someone mentioned earlier, this is a safe hire, but it doesn't make it the right hire. I will support Harold and everyone should do so, but they should have taken their time and weighed all of their options.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • Blacksmith
Apparently they have already lost Estridge. Will this hire keep Keathley there or is he gone also.
(05-03-2024, 12:53 PM)THOMCAT Wrote: Apparently they have already lost Estridge.  Will this hire keep Keathley there or is he gone also.
I’m in no way tied to that family so I can’t speak for certain but I’m hearing he leaves. I think ultimately Prestonsburg will be left with one kid who played significant minutes last season.
Parsley officially resigned yesterday. And they hire a coach today? How's the posting officially done Monday at 3:30? I thought the job had to be posted for 7 days at least?

**I'm saying this as someone who has no clue the rules, just asking questions.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(05-03-2024, 12:44 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 12:14 PM)SouthEast18 Wrote: harold will give them what they have needed for a long time…..Stability. If kids leave ohhhhhh welll. Didn’t need anyone who wasn’t committed anyway. He has done it at every level and had success and if people will buy in he will have success again. Too much is made about who a coach is, instead of what can we do to help him succeed. My advice to Pburg players and parents would be to try and help him succeed instead of complaining it wasn’t the coach you thought they should get.
Here is the problem with that statement. Prestonsburg is a small school who doesn't have an abundance of talent walking around the halls of the high school. So, when kids leave, who are they going to replace them with? You can't say "the next man up", when you don't have the players who can fill those roles. As someone mentioned earlier, this is a safe hire, but it doesn't make it the right hire. I will support Harold and everyone should do so, but they should have taken their time and weighed all of their options.
If you cant get athletes to stay, or even want to play then you have a problem in your program.  Decision making concerning athletics at Pburg have not always made sense. Not referencing this newest hire. Just history in general
Just my opinion, it's a safe but good hire. It's a good hire for your future because they will be taught fundamentals. Take away Keathley and the Senior class. They need fundamentals. Harold is as old school as it comes.
He was coach at Greenup Co. in the 16th region for 6 seasons from the 2012-13 season until the end of the 2017-18 season.
The hiring practices in the 13-16th region are incompetent at best and criminal at worst.
Used the posting to force Parsley’s hand, then the next day name the coach. Pretty sure once posted, you can’t name a coach officially until then posting deadline has passed.
If this was a firework it would be a dud, Harold is a great guy but this hire leaves ya wondering, no way this ends well, but on the other hand, great for us, no way any of our kids leave to play for him
Stability has to be the main goal with this program going forward. Say what you will about Jackie Crisp and Jack Pack, but these men added stability to Prestonsburg basketball and it led to some fun seasons and some district championships. That's been lost and the ones paying for it are the kids. I can’t blame some of these boys for not wanting to play or to skip playing their senior season at all. It has to be exhausting dealing with the uncertainty before, during and after the season.

Hopefully Tackett can be the person that sticks around and has a long term vision at Prestonsburg.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Ring'Em Up
A coaching job is not a teaching job and does not have the same requirements for posting. It depends on board policy for how year-to-year extra curricular jobs are posted.
Not sure how long Harold Tackett has been coaching, but here is what I could find of his high school coaching records on KHSAA:
Prestonsburg girls:
2000-2001 17-14 District Runner Up, Region Semi Finalist
2001-2002 17-13 District Runner Up
2002-2003 3-25
Betsy Layne Girls:
2007-2008 18-10- District Champion, Region Semi Finalist
Logan County Boys:
2008-2009- 4-21
2009-2010- 11-15
2010-2011- 14-11
2011-2012- 21-11 District Runner Up
Greenup County Boys:
2012-2013- 7-19
2013-2014- 13-16 District Champions, Region Semi Finalist
2014-2015- 12-18 District Runner Up
2015-2016- 19-10
2016-2017- 22-10 District Champion
2017-2018- 8-18

If I am not mistaken, Tackett retired from teaching in 2018, so who knows how long he is planning on staying. Mediocre at best ceiling for Prestonsburg with this hire.
(05-03-2024, 06:50 PM)OhHereWeGo Wrote: A coaching job is not a teaching job and does not have the same requirements for posting. It depends on board policy for how year-to-year extra curricular jobs are posted.
Floyd County Board policy states they will give preference to a teacher over someone who isn’t. That is the same issue that Rady Martin took up with the board a couple years ago
[-] The following 1 user Likes GeraldDaLoved's post:
  • OhHereWeGo
(05-03-2024, 08:40 PM)GeraldDaLoved Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 06:50 PM)OhHereWeGo Wrote: A coaching job is not a teaching job and does not have the same requirements for posting. It depends on board policy for how year-to-year extra curricular jobs are posted.
Floyd County Board policy states they will give preference to a teacher over someone who isn’t. That is the same issue that Rady Martin took up with the board a couple years ago

That has been resolved. Prefer but don’t require. Wording is key. This hire will set PBURG back even more, wait and see. This was the most important basketball hire in PBURG for the next 10-15 years. They desperately needed to get this one right. Longevity, spark, relatable to today’s times, etc and they missed on all fronts due to no backbone.
(05-03-2024, 06:34 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Stability has to be the main goal with this program going forward. Say what you will about Jackie Crisp and Jack Pack, but these men added stability to Prestonsburg basketball and it led to some fun seasons and some district championships. That's been lost and the ones paying for it are the kids. I can’t blame some of these boys for not wanting to play or to skip playing their senior season at all. It has to be exhausting dealing with the uncertainty before, during and after the season.

Hopefully Tackett can be the person that sticks around and has a long term vision at Prestonsburg.
+1
I know Harold, great guy but don’t understand how the admin actually seen that as an option, let alone their best option. Great news for us but I wanna see all Floyd Co. Schools have some success. I mean we’ve seen Allen’s Dad mention on here he may not play, would bout guarantee this doesn’t get him excited, still say we getting one from them in next month
(05-04-2024, 12:39 AM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: I know Harold, great guy but don’t understand how the admin actually seen that as an option, let alone their best option. Great news for us but I wanna see all Floyd Co. Schools have some success. I mean we’ve seen Allen’s Dad mention on here he may not play, would bout guarantee this doesn’t get him excited, still say we getting one from them in next month
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I have absolutely NOTHING against Harold. Love him dearly. He’s been a part of my life since I was in high school and continued that friendship throughout my adult life. He’s a fantastic person and I wish him the absolute most success. But this hire has nothing to do with him. My issue is with how the hiring process continues to go down with the administration at the high school. I really thought they were starting to understand things. I feel like the hiring of Bryce Tucker and Hager were home run hires. Young guys that care about the program. You could’ve accomplished the same with this basketball hire. There are younger guys than Harold that would devote the time to building this program. While I’ve said time and time again I’m not applying, a simple call to gauge interest would’ve been awesome. A simple call to Doug Hopkins or Brandon Gearheart would’ve gone a long way. But you had this decision in mind before you knew what Chase was doing. No one else was given a chance because the administration has already butchered basketball with the past hires. And that’s not saying the previous coaches were bad coaches. You knew both would jump when the right opportunity came along. Everyone knew this but Ricky paid no attention to anyone that tried to tell him. 

At the end of the day, this is going to set Prestonsburg basketball even further back. They’ll be lucky to have two returning players with not a lot of experience coming up. I’m just baffled and disappointed with this program and to be honest, I’ve lost any respect I’ve had for it and couldn’t care less if I ever supported it again.
[-] The following 3 users Like BCF4L's post:
  • Blacksmith, FloydCountySuperstar, P. Fanning
That’s what I’m saying, we all agree Tackett is a great dude but great dudes and great Coaches are two different things.i just don’t see him drawing any kids to y’all nor having the energy and drive to develop any young talent yall got. I’m hoping it turns out different for them kids there but seems like my top priority is getting Allen back out and Estridge back. Do you think your boy is excited and wants to play for him, and do you know his relationship to Estridge, is it a possibility getting him back with this hire? I thought you and Brandon would have made sense
(05-03-2024, 05:58 PM)RTruth Wrote: The hiring practices in the 13-16th region are incompetent at best and criminal at worst.
I understand if you don’t like a hire I get that I don’t like them all either but what could possibly be criminal about a hire