Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Trade Hamilton
I hate the Reds but I feel sorry for you guys as Reds fans...the team keeps screwing themselves and diehard fans like you by making stupid moves like this.
A lot of people are on here being critical of the move without looking at the entire picture. They see the Reds giving up a great talent in Hamilton for a pitcher they've never heard of, and immediately think "this trade sucks".

Anyone who thinks they should've traded a different outfielder, look at the entire situation again:
1) Dunn can not be traded. He has a no-trade clause in his contract, so it's not happening no matter how much somebody wants it to.
2) Neither Griffey nor Freel would bring any type of worthwhile return. The same reasons everyone on here wants to trade Griffey (too old, too fragile, makes too much $) are the same reasons why other teams aren't exactly beating down the door to acquire him. Same situation for Freel, except he is less talented so the Reds would get even less in return.
3) Norris Hopper is a decent player, but it's not hard to find outfielders like him (good defense, contact hitter), so again, very little in return.
4) Unfortunately, that leaves Hamilton as the only player who is able to be traded and would bring a good player in return. Which he did.

Now, do I think the Reds got equal value for him? No, but pitchers are always valued higher than hitters. Both players had flaws, Volquez has to show he can consistently get major-league hitters out, and Hamilton has to show he can stay healthy.

Finally, I firmly believe Jay Bruce is ready to step in next year and put up numbers just as good, if not better, than Hamilton would have. He is universally regarded as the top prospect in all of baseball for a reason, and has nothing left to prove in the minors. If Volquez makes the starting rotation next year and has a decent year, the trade will already be a success.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:A lot of people are on here being critical of the move withour looking at the entire picture. They see the Reds giving up a great talent in Hamilton for a pitcher they've never heard of, and immediately think "this trade sucks".

Anyone who thinks they should've traded a different outfielder, look at the entire situation again:
1) Dunn can not be traded. He has a no-trade clause in his contract, so it's not happening no matter how much somebody wants it to.
2) Neither Griffey nor Freel would bring any type of worthwhile return. The same reasons everyone on here wants to trade Griffey (too old, too fragile, makes too much $) are the same reasons why other teams aren't exactly beating down the door to acquire him. Same situation for Freel, except he is less talented so the Reds would get even less in return.
3) Norris Hopper is a decent player, but it's not hard to find outfielders like him (good defense, contact hitter), so again, very little in return.
4) Unfortunately, that leaves Hamilton as the only player who is able to be traded and would bring a good player in return. Which he did.

Now, do I think the Reds got equal value for him? No, but pitchers are always valued higher than hitters. Both players had flaws, Volquez has to show he can consistently get major-league hitters out, and Hamilton has to show he can stay healthy.

Finally, I firmly believe Jay Bruce is ready to step in next year and put up numbers just as good, if not better, than Hamilton would have. He is universally regarded as the top prospect in all of baseball for a reason, and has nothing left to prove in the minors. If Volquez makes the starting rotation next year and has a decent year, the trade will already be a success.

Our Franchise is banking on it..... So it HAS to happen. And if that is the case then the Reds has just assembled a really good looking team.
Not very good move for the Reds! They are already struggling, why go ahead and trade off one of your key players.