Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abuse Of Schedule 2 Narcotics In Eastern Kentucky
I was picturing a thread here about personal stories (no names of course) of how abuse of Loratab, Xanax, Oxycontin, etc. has personally impacted people of BGR, either friends of family members or BGR members themselves.
I had a personal friend, beautiful young girl, who got mixed up with these Schedule 2's, started out taking them by mouth, then snorting them, then shooting them. She got mixed up with guys who abused her horribly, bouncing around from guy to guy and house to house. She would always talk about "rehab" and even went a few times. She always spoke of "gettin' off these devils" but she never did. She was walking down the road a couple of years ago, hitchhiking to town, and fell over dead. Incredibly sad. The last time I talked to her (a few months before she died) she was talking about church, about getting help, getting her life together... I'm not sure she believed it.. I just think she wanted to believe it for a little while.
thecavemaster Wrote:I had a personal friend, beautiful young girl, who got mixed up with these Schedule 2's, started out taking them by mouth, then snorting them, then shooting them. She got mixed up with guys who abused her horribly, bouncing around from guy to guy and house to house. She would always talk about "rehab" and even went a few times. She always spoke of "gettin' off these devils" but she never did. She was walking down the road a couple of years ago, hitchhiking to town, and fell over dead. Incredibly sad. The last time I talked to her (a few months before she died) she was talking about church, about getting help, getting her life together... I'm not sure she believed it.. I just think she wanted to believe it for a little while.

It's sad to say, but this is happening way to often, not just around here in Eastern Ky. but across the country. So far to my knowledge I've not had any family members or friends to be hook on these drugs.
There's too many pills on the street. That's the problem, and too easy to get. Where do they come from??? A police officer recently told me probably over 50% of the perscription pills on the street and in the hands of drug dealers are from people using medical cards and getting perscriptions from pain clinic doctors and area doctors. They have no intention of ever taking these medications, only to sell them to the dealers or to the users. So, at the tax payer's expense, these people are using this method to make a few extra dollars, and flooding the counties with pills and addiction. Imo doctors are too quick to perscribe pills to people who don't need them and have no inclination of using them.
In my county families who have not been affected by Schedule 2 pills, as well as other drugs, some homemade, are very rare.
Well, I have 1st hand experience at an extreme level. And the problem with those on drugs, typically isn't the abuse of the drug itself.. its the high price they have to pay to get them. This leads to radical behaviour and criminal acts in order to afford the habit.

I started out on hydro for a few months, then before I knew it I was on roxy's, oxy's, percs, dilaudid, etc... I couldn't get enough.. in 2 ways... I couldn't afford enough, and I always wanted more.

Today though, I've been clean since May 5th 2002. :-)
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:There's too many pills on the street. That's the problem, and too easy to get. Where do they come from??? A police officer recently told me probably over 50% of the perscription pills on the street and in the hands of drug dealers are from people using medical cards and getting perscriptions from pain clinic doctors and area doctors. They have no intention of ever taking these medications, only to sell them to the dealers or to the users. So, at the tax payer's expense, these people are using this method to make a few extra dollars, and flooding the counties with pills and addiction. Imo doctors are too quick to perscribe pills to people who don't need them and have no inclination of using them.
In my county families who have not been affected by Schedule 2 pills, as well as other drugs, some homemade, are very rare.

Trust me, paying $100 for 1 oxy 80mg, isn't anywhere close to... 'tooo easy to get'. Once you've been in my shoes, you'll know.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Well, I have 1st hand experience at an extreme level. And the problem with those on drugs, typically isn't the abuse of the drug itself.. its the high price they have to pay to get them. This leads to radical behaviour and criminal acts in order to afford the habit.

I started out on hydro for a few months, then before I knew it I was on roxy's, oxy's, percs, dilaudid, etc... I couldn't get enough.. in 2 ways... I couldn't afford enough, and I always wanted more.

:Thumbs: Congrats on being clean. Much respect to you!!
Crossbones Wrote::Thumbs: Congrats on being clean. Much respect to you!!

Same here, props to you, RR!
We have folks around where I live who drive to Ohio and northern Florida (I kid you not) to go to doctors who, I guess, pull in good cash flow from drug seekers. These "clinics" ask these people, apparently, to NOT fill the prescriptions until they get back to within forty five miles of their homes. I guess the doctors are trying to avoid drawing attention to themselves in their own states? Apparently, the number of pills floating around in eastern KY is unbelievable. Every year around here, at least two or three folks pass away from drug related stuff... it's tough stuff.
I have stated before, My wife works in the pharmacy field. She has told me ( with out stating names) that I wouldn't believe how many people are on schedule 2 narcotics.
I broke my back in 2003 in a mining accident. I have been on pain management and am prescribe pain medication. I can understand how this happens to people. I try to not take my med. unless absolutely necessary. I honestly believe it is how the "system" is set up. For example: When I hurt my back, which was covered under compensation. I had to fight with the insurance company for 2 years before they would even pay for any medical for me. The doctors wanted to do surgery right when it happened and the insurance denied everything. The company terminated my health insurance and I had no way of paying for the surgery. After I finally got the insurance settled, the doctor said that the damaged had already been done. And the surgery would not help me much now. That scenario is not for all cases, but does happen for more than a few.
Crossbones Wrote:I have stated before, My wife works in the pharmacy field. She has told me ( with out stating names) that I wouldn't believe how many people are on schedule 2 narcotics.
I broke my back in 2003 in a mining accident. I have been on pain management and am prescribe pain medication. I can understand how this happens to people. I try to not take my med. unless absolutely necessary. I honestly believe it is how the "system" is set up. For example: When I hurt my back, which was covered under compensation. I had to fight with the insurance company for 2 years before they would even pay for any medical for me. The doctors wanted to do surgery right when it happened and the insurance denied everything. The company terminated my health insurance and I had no way of paying for the surgery. After I finally got the insurance settled, the doctor said that the damaged had already been done. And the surgery would not help me much now. That scenario is not for all cases, but does happen for more than a few.

How does that work? So the doctors were recommending surgery, but the insurance company said it wasn't covered? If I understood right, then, people trained in business were telling people trained in medicine what needed to happen when it came to surgery or no surgery?
thecavemaster Wrote:How does that work? So the doctors were recommending surgery, but the insurance company said it wasn't covered? If I understood right, then, people trained in business were telling people trained in medicine what needed to happen when it came to surgery or no surgery?

I have had first hand dealing with comp and it worked the same way for me too. The insurance company basically tells you what they will cover whether it goes against the doctors advice or not.
Midee1 Wrote:I have had first hand dealing with comp and it worked the same way for me too. The insurance company basically tells you what they will cover whether it goes against the doctors advice or not.

So, what is the insurance company's reasoning... I mean the "official" version? Are they trying to say that the doctor is trying to do an unnecessary surgery...and the patient is going along with it?
Midee is right. From my experience in this whole mess. The doctors will do exactly what the insurance company dictates. My doctors has been wanting to do another series of injections in my back. His remark every visit is "the insurance denied it again, I'll keep trying to get it approved". I have other insurances, but can not use them, because this is covered under workers comp. So I am at the mercy of the system. Now, if I paid for the procedure (which is $6200), I automatically exclude comp. from any other cost.
thecavemaster Wrote:So, what is the insurance company's reasoning... I mean the "official" version? Are they trying to say that the doctor is trying to do an unnecessary surgery...and the patient is going along with it?
From my understanding. Yes. Their (insurance) remark is going to always be "not medically necessary". By saying that, according to the law, they cover themselves from liability.
thecavemaster Wrote:So, what is the insurance company's reasoning... I mean the "official" version? Are they trying to say that the doctor is trying to do an unnecessary surgery...and the patient is going along with it?

You know I never really got a "reason" from them. All I was told is that I had to do exactly what they said or my coverage would be terminated. They sent me to Louisville to get a second opinion "that was worse than my home doctor" They sent me to Portsmouth to get a second opinion from another doctor. Never got anything other than the run around.
In official letters, do they (insurance) say that they have had "their" doctors review the case or anything like that? This is the very kind of crap that Sicko was showing some of... sick and injured people being "back-burnered" by pumps and suits who send out form letters and try to forget about work as soon as they leave. I'm not sure about UHC, but surely we could figure out something better than this...
thecavemaster Wrote:In official letters, do they (insurance) say that they have had "their" doctors review the case or anything like that? This is the very kind of crap that Sicko was showing some of... sick and injured people being "back-burnered" by pumps and suits who send out form letters and try to forget about work as soon as they leave. I'm not sure about UHC, but surely we could figure out something better than this...
Yes. They say that their doctors have looked at my files and find it "not medically necessary at this time". It is always the same. I have never meet this doctor or has he/she evaluated me. One thing I have learned is the doctor works for the insurance company and will NOT go against them. I had 4 different doctors say the same thing as for my diagnosis and the insurance doctor is the only one that differs. This is a buiness of making money, not helping those that need it IMHO.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Well, I have 1st hand experience at an extreme level. And the problem with those on drugs, typically isn't the abuse of the drug itself.. its the high price they have to pay to get them. This leads to radical behaviour and criminal acts in order to afford the habit.

Congratulations :Thumbs: are in order for you RR.
So, big in$urance pays a doctor enough that he can get a second home in Naples, then "discreetly" lets him know that all his/her stuff depends on signing forms that say "not medically necessary" ? Basically, the "industry" put your life on hold for a couple of years, denied you medically recommended treatment, ignored a consensus of doctors' diagnosis? And, you end up in chronic pain and none of them goes to jail?
thecavemaster Wrote:So, big in$urance pays a doctor enough that he can get a second home in Naples, then "discreetly" lets him know that all his/her stuff depends on signing forms that say "not medically necessary" ? Basically, the "industry" put your life on hold for a couple of years, denied you medically recommended treatment, ignored a consensus of doctors' diagnosis? And, you end up in chronic pain and none of them goes to jail?
That right there sums it up!!!Sad That has been my life since 2003. I have done exactly as my doctor has told me. It (workers comp.) is set up as to so, the law judge has to decide who has the better story.
I've had my problems with them...