Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott Little
BaseballMan Wrote:Scott can pitch at the next level. As for him coming back this season on the hill, if his doctor releases him, then I think Scott should take advantage of getting some live innings. Do I think he should be put into stressful situations? Do I think he should be used as the ace when he comes back? No! He should be very limited. Maybe he shouldn't even go 100% in his outings. But at least to get some good work in live games would be to his advantage. Especially to show college coaches he has healed and is on his way back. I don't think he should pitch as much for competitiveness as much as working on his mechanics and hitting his spots. Throw his limited number of pitches and then come out no matter the score of the game or the inning.

I agree with you 100% on this post. You offer sound logic.:Thumbs:
BaseballMan Wrote:Scott can pitch at the next level. As for him coming back this season on the hill, if his doctor releases him, then I think Scott should take advantage of getting some live innings. Do I think he should be put into stressful situations? Do I think he should be used as the ace when he comes back? No! He should be very limited. Maybe he shouldn't even go 100% in his outings. But at least to get some good work in live games would be to his advantage. Especially to show college coaches he has healed and is on his way back. I don't think he should pitch as much for competitiveness as much as working on his mechanics and hitting his spots. Throw his limited number of pitches and then come out no matter the score of the game or the inning.

Nice popst. When put the way you put it. I find it easier to agree. Good Luck Scott and have a speedy recovery and rehab.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Any kid that can hit 87 on the gun in the regional tournament with his arm just barely hanging on after being misused and abused for three years has to be given more credit than you are giving him. Fyffe could crank one up every now and then, but a healthy Little might have been throwing harder than Fyffe. Basicly that is all Fyffe was, just a fastball pitcher, with an average slider thrown in, here and there.

i agree he was all fastball, but so is little....and now thats gone, what now? because i dont care how good rehab goes, he will still not ever be at the velocity he wants was, thats just how it goes...he'll be more timid as well
OMG Wrote:i agree he was all fastball, but so is little....and now thats gone, what now? because i dont care how good rehab goes, he will still not ever be at the velocity he wants was, thats just how it goes...he'll be more timid as well

Well, you are wrong, that's not how it just goes. In most cases any one that goes through Tommy John surgery usually comes back stronger than they were before they were injured. It's not so much that the surgery makes them stronger, it is the extensive rehab that they go through. Little more than likely will not be back this high school season where he once was, because it is about a 22 month full recovery process. I have even heard of cases where a pitcher will have the surgery done even if he has never had a UCL injury. Little is a tough kid. There is not the first doubt in my mind that he wont fully recover and be back just as strong or stronger. Heck , if your theory was fact , then half of the pitchers in the majors would not be still pitching. I have a good friend that had Tommy John done right out of college, was drafted by the A's in the 9th round, and made the White Sox World Series roster. He has pitched for the White Sox, the Padres, the Mets, and is now in the Reds organization.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Well, you are wrong, that's not how it just goes. In most cases any one that goes through Tommy John surgery usually comes back stronger than they were before they were injured. It's not so much that the surgery makes them stronger, it is the extensive rehab that they go through. Little more than likely will not be back this high school season where he once was, because it is about a 22 month full recovery process. I have even heard of cases where a pitcher will have the surgery done even if he has never had a UCL injury. Little is a tough kid. There is not the first doubt in my mind that he wont fully recover and be back just as strong or stronger. Heck , if your theory was fact , then half of the pitchers in the majors would not be still pitching. I have a good friend that had Tommy John done right out of college, was drafted by the A's in the 9th round, and made the White Sox World Series roster. He has pitched for the White Sox, the Padres, the Mets, and is now in the Reds organization.

I WISH THE KID ALL THE BEST I TRULY DO, IM JUST NOT SURE HOW GOOD THE REHAB WILL BE AND IF HE EVEN DOES IT RIGHT, THAT WILL BE VERY IMPORTANT IN HIM COMING BACK...I HOPE HE DOES COME BACK STRONG HE WILL MAKE SOME SMALL COLLEGE A VERY GOOD PITCHER ONE DAY...

WHAT WAS YOUR FRIENDS NAME?
[quote=OMG]I WISH THE KID ALL THE BEST I TRULY DO, IM JUST NOT SURE HOW GOOD THE REHAB WILL BE AND IF HE EVEN DOES IT RIGHT, THAT WILL BE VERY IMPORTANT IN HIM COMING BACK...I HOPE HE DOES COME BACK STRONG HE WILL MAKE SOME SMALL COLLEGE A VERY GOOD PITCHER ONE DAY...

WHAT WAS YOUR FRIENDS NAME?[/quote]

Haha, that's what I been racking my brain over, also. Hermanson was the first to come to mind, knowing he is from Ohio and threw at Kent St. I believe, but I couldn't get the teams and draft position to correspond correctly. Help us out, Kimball. And hurry, before I spend all night working on this.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:[quote=OMG]I WISH THE KID ALL THE BEST I TRULY DO, IM JUST NOT SURE HOW GOOD THE REHAB WILL BE AND IF HE EVEN DOES IT RIGHT, THAT WILL BE VERY IMPORTANT IN HIM COMING BACK...I HOPE HE DOES COME BACK STRONG HE WILL MAKE SOME SMALL COLLEGE A VERY GOOD PITCHER ONE DAY...

WHAT WAS YOUR FRIENDS NAME?[/quote]

Haha, that's what I been racking my brain over, also. Hermanson was the first to come to mind, knowing he is from Ohio and threw at Kent St. I believe, but I couldn't get the teams and draft position right. Help us out, Kimball. And hurry, before I spend all night working on this.....

THATS DEFINETELY ONE HECK OF A JEAPORDY QUESTION IM HAVING TROUBLE WITH MYSELF...
Jon Adkins.

Went to Wayne High School. Played college ball at Oklahoma State. Was drafted by the A's, then was traded to the White Sox while in Triple A. Made the big league roster when the roster was expanded to 40 teams, and then made the 25 man roster the following year and was on the World Series championship team. Was traded to the Padres the following year, and then traded to the Mets this past year spending time both in Triple A and with the big club, and signed a free agent Triple A contract with the Reds about a month ago.

Is that enough information to you all? I can find out what he had for breakfast if you like. lol
OMG Wrote:I WISH THE KID ALL THE BEST I TRULY DO, IM JUST NOT SURE HOW GOOD THE REHAB WILL BE AND IF HE EVEN DOES IT RIGHT, THAT WILL BE VERY IMPORTANT IN HIM COMING BACK...I HOPE HE DOES COME BACK STRONG HE WILL MAKE SOME SMALL COLLEGE A VERY GOOD PITCHER ONE DAY...

WHAT WAS YOUR FRIENDS NAME?
Rehab is generally as good as how hard you want to work at it. There is no reason to speculate anything at all.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Jon Adkins.

Went to Wayne High School. Played college ball at Oklahoma State. Was drafted by the A's, then was traded to the White Sox while in Triple A. Made the big league roster when the roster was expanded to 40 teams, and then made the 25 man roster the following year and was on the World Series championship team. Was traded to the Padres the following year, and then traded to the Mets this past year spending time both in Triple A and with the big club, and signed a free agent Triple A contract with the Reds about a month ago.

Is that enough information to you all? I can find out what he had for breakfast if you like. lol

DONT GET YOUR FEELINGS HURT I WAS JUST KIDDING AROUND WITH YOU...I WAS REALLY JUST WONDERING WHO IT WAS, DONT GET MAD
Man, I meant nothing of the sort about being smart or however ya took it, I was just curious as to who it was.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I have seen Scott work out. If a good healthy high school pitcher would do 1/2 of the program for a couple of years he would be a great high school pitcher.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Any kid that can hit 87 on the gun in the regional tournament with his arm just barely hanging on after being misused and abused for three years has to be given more credit than you are giving him. Fyffe could crank one up every now and then, but a healthy Little might have been throwing harder than Fyffe. Basicly that is all Fyffe was, just a fastball pitcher, with an average slider thrown in, here and there.

little has 2 pitches....fastball and circle change.....fyffe had an outstanding curveball and a good slider.....scotty will not go even go D-1....u sound like a jealous parent....not to take anything away from scott he is a good player and tremendous person.....but fyffe was a better and smarter pitcher.....i do hope little gets healthy so he can play
White Lotus Wrote:little has 2 pitches....fastball and circle change.....fyffe had an outstanding curveball and a good slider.....scotty will not go even go D-1....u sound like a jealous parent....not to take anything away from scott he is a good player and tremendous person.....but fyffe was a better and smarter pitcher.....i do hope little gets healthy so he can play

:confused:

What the heck are you ever rambling on about.
White Lotus Wrote:little has 2 pitches....fastball and circle change.....fyffe had an outstanding curveball and a good slider.....scotty will not go even go D-1....u sound like a jealous parent....not to take anything away from scott he is a good player and tremendous person.....but fyffe was a better and smarter pitcher.....i do hope little gets healthy so he can play

i agree fyffe was better, but he did not have an "outstanding" curveball, i think everyone will agree with that, but pitching with that velocity in the 15th region he is going to be very dominant...i do recall him throwing a slider and when he threw it for strikes it seemed very affective, but his curveball was no where near that...

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

First mistake, Scott Little had a good curveball and could spot it inside and out. It's one factor that made him effective along with a good fastball and great changeup. He threw 3 pitches effectively.

Second mistake, Matt Fyffe rarely even threw a curveball, but more of a slider. He threw a hard slider that was very effective.

Fyffe was a very smart pitcher and a tremendous player, but Little is as well. Remember, this kid is just going to be a senior this year. He has much time to improve coming off the injury.
BaseballMan Wrote:I don't think you know what you're talking about.

First mistake, Scott Little had a good curveball and could spot it inside and out. It's one factor that made him effective along with a good fastball and great changeup. He threw 3 pitches effectively.

Second mistake, Matt Fyffe rarely even threw a curveball, but more of a slider. He threw a hard slider that was very effective.

Fyffe was a very smart pitcher and a tremendous player, but Little is as well. Remember, this kid is just going to be a senior this year. He has much time to improve coming off the injury.

little does have a curve but his changeup is not all there yet, but like you said he has time to improve it before the end of the year...i just dont think he had 3 consistent pitches that he threw last year, it always ended back to his fastball...sometime he would have trouble locating and have to go to his curveball for strikes but i dont recall the changeup...
instead of comparing scott to another pitcher it would simply be best to say that he is a great kid and a good baseball player as for his potiential , it is yet to be realized as a factor in the 15th region from the mound.....

I wish scott the best of luck in his recovery process and hope to see him on the field this spring in some capacity.
Scott is a great player, and an even better kid. He LOVES the game of baseball, and has a tremendous work ethic. Whether the doctor releases him or not, he will continue to work and work at getting his arm back into shape, because we all know he can pitch at the next level. He's got velocity on his fastball, we all know that. He's got a much improved slider, and an excellent change-up. Like you all said, I feel he should pitch this season (should he be cleared) to work on mechanics more than anything. Let him throw his pitches and then rest. Scott has a good head on his shoulders, and he's got good parents. I believe he is in good hands when it comes to his future AND his health. Good luck with everything, Scottie! I'll be pulling for ya!
OMG Wrote:little does have a curve but his changeup is not all there yet, but like you said he has time to improve it before the end of the year...i just dont think he had 3 consistent pitches that he threw last year, it always ended back to his fastball...sometime he would have trouble locating and have to go to his curveball for strikes but i dont recall the changeup...

There were some days that his changeup wasn't all there. But he has thrown a very effective changeup regularly. Of course, it isn't a major league changeup yet, but I do believe he has at least a 10 mph differential from his fastball to his changeup and he has a good drop off and pretty good control. It looked to me like he threw a circle change where it breaks down and in some to RH hitters.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Scott is a great player, and an even better kid. He LOVES the game of baseball, and has a tremendous work ethic. Whether the doctor releases him or not, he will continue to work and work at getting his arm back into shape, because we all know he can pitch at the next level. He's got velocity on his fastball, we all know that. He's got a much improved slider, and an excellent change-up. Like you all said, I feel he should pitch this season (should he be cleared) to work on mechanics more than anything. Let him throw his pitches and then rest. Scott has a good head on his shoulders, and he's got good parents. I believe he is in good hands when it comes to his future AND his health. Good luck with everything, Scottie! I'll be pulling for ya!

Couldn't agree more! :thumpsup:
BaseballMan Wrote:There were some days that his changeup wasn't all there. But he has thrown a very effective changeup regularly. Of course, it isn't a major league changeup yet, but I do believe he has at least a 10 mph differential from his fastball to his changeup and he has a good drop off and pretty good control. It looked to me like he threw a circle change where it breaks down and in some to RH hitters.
You're correct. He has a very nice circel change, and before his surgery, I believe he had been working on a slider, which was looking preety good too.
BaseballMan Wrote:There were some days that his changeup wasn't all there. But he has thrown a very effective changeup regularly. Of course, it isn't a major league changeup yet, but I do believe he has at least a 10 mph differential from his fastball to his changeup and he has a good drop off and pretty good control. It looked to me like he threw a circle change where it breaks down and in some to RH hitters.

oh i see...i guess the games i seen him last season he didnt have it working....i hope he does because the biggest difference in high school and college is the changeup and learning to adjust to it....