• 1(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School?
I want someone who is going to lead the team in the right direction while making it fun at the same time, and I would like to have someone who doesn't take crap from parents and fans alike. Get us a good one Coach G!! HAIL PIKEVILLE!
Panther Thunder Wrote:I want someone who is going to lead the team in the right direction while making it fun at the same time, and I would like to have someone who doesn't take crap from parents and fans alike. Get us a good one Coach G!! HAIL PIKEVILLE!
Actually its Coach Mayo who has the final say in who gets hired. I think it should be Copely IMO.
I know that they are going to open this job up but I hope that Copley gets it. I have talked to several of the football players and all have told me that they wanted Copley to be their head coach. He is a great motivator and a great football mind to have on the sidelines. I definitely would not want to bring in another coach with another staff and change the offense for the 4th straight year. If Copley stays then I know they will run power and veer football like last year. I know that the entire staff is behind him and wanting him to get the job as well. I hate that Jackson left because he is a good man but obviously he had some personal reasons for leaving and I wish him the best. Go Panthers! Hire Copley!

Copley is who I want my kid playing for, end of story.

Oh yeah, all the kids that gave the reason of not playing because they did not like Jackson have no reason not to play now. That is unless their parents won't let them which is ridiculous. If your kid wants to play then quit being a nazi and let him/her play.
Capt. DH Wrote:I know that they are going to open this job up but I hope that Copley gets it. I have talked to several of the football players and all have told me that they wanted Copley to be their head coach. He is a great motivator and a great football mind to have on the sidelines. I definitely would not want to bring in another coach with another staff and change the offense for the 4th straight year. If Copley stays then I know they will run power and veer football like last year. I know that the entire staff is behind him and wanting him to get the job as well. I hate that Jackson left because he is a good man but obviously he had some personal reasons for leaving and I wish him the best. Go Panthers! Hire Copley!

Copley is who I want my kid playing for, end of story.

Oh yeah, all the kids that gave the reason of not playing because they did not like Jackson have no reason not to play now. That is unless their parents won't let them which is ridiculous. If your kid wants to play then quit being a nazi and let him/her play.

Time for Pikeville to go in a different direction.
This is just like the SV situation 2 years ago. All the players and parents wanted Hampton to take over the head coaching position after he was interim coach and took them to the playoffs. This however, was not the outcome and resulted in many players quitting.
I think they might try to look somewhat out of the system like they did with Jackson. Some other people that might be considered close to the program are Chase Gibson, Mike Copely, and Matt Branham. These guys are all young and have a large knowledge of football.
I have to disagree with you all saying that Copley should be the next head coach. There are a lot of players that do not like playing for him.

I have spoken with several players who played under Coach J and Copley and while he may have a football mind, he is not who they want to be led by. Not someone they can all get together and rally around. This was from a group of 5 or so starters on the team so they cannot speak for the whole team, I understand, but if they all strongly felt that way, I have to think that others do so as well.

I think the next head coach will be someone that's had ties to the Pikeville football program before, but not Copley.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1911 Wrote:I think they might try to look somewhat out of the system like they did with Jackson. Some other people that might be considered close to the program are Chase Gibson, Mike Copely, and Matt Branham. These guys are all young and have a large knowledge of football.

I agree that they have a large knowledge of football, but like you said, they are young.

I think the Pikeville program is dying to get back into State Championship contention (making it at least to Championship game) and I don't think they will put the program into the hands of someone without a lot of experience.

But that's if they have a choice. If they don't get any bites from those they are immediately interested in, you'll see a lot of people open up for consideration.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:I have to disagree with you all saying that Copley should be the next head coach. There are a lot of players that do not like playing for him.

I have spoken with several players who played under Coach J and Copley and while he may have a football mind, he is not who they want to be led by. Not someone they can all get together and rally around.

I think the next head coach will be someone that's had ties to the Pikeville football program before, but not Copley.

I agree with you 100% CE, especially the last sentence.
What about Jason Howell?
Panther Thunder Wrote:What about Jason Howell?

That was going to be one of my guesses, but I don't know if he would want to come back to Pikeville.

I think he may be one who is considered.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
How about a package deal w/ J. Howell & B. Howard?
jetpilot Wrote:How about a package deal w/ J. Howell & B. Howard?
It would be a tough package deal IMO.....you have to get a solid head coach and you can't take these 2 together. But as for the other 2 mentioned, they are a little too young to take over the head coaching position as of now.

But Howell knows the program and what is expected. If he qualifies, then he should be strongly considered...if interested that is
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:I agree that they have a large knowledge of football, but like you said, they are young.

I think the Pikeville program is dying to get back into State Championship contention (making it at least to Championship game) and I don't think they will put the program into the hands of someone without a lot of experience.

But that's if they have a choice. If they don't get any bites from those they are immediately interested in, you'll see a lot of people open up for consideration.

Pikeville doesn't have the players to contend for state title's. They haven't for quite sometime. They need a coach that will get them back to basic hardnosed football like they had in the past. I think Ben Howard would also be a good choice. It would be nice to follow your fathers footsteps and coach on his field.
1911 Wrote:Pikeville doesn't have the players to contend for state title's. They haven't for quite sometime. They need a coach that will get them back to basic hardnosed football like they had in the past. I think Ben Howard would also be a good choice. It would be nice to follow your fathers footsteps and coach on his field.

Hardnosed football will not win state championships against these teams coming out of the rest of KY, not anymore. As we see almost every year, the teams from Northern and Central KY are much more fast, much more quick. It doesn't matter how hardnosed you are if you're getting run all over the field.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1911 Wrote:Pikeville doesn't have the players to contend for state title's.

Yes they do.
Beef Wrote:It would be a tough package deal IMO.....you have to get a solid head coach and you can't take these 2 together.

Since they are both assistants where they are at now, you could get both of them at Pikeville, one as HC and one as assistant. Probably won't happen though.
ComfortEagle Wrote:I have to disagree with you all saying that Copley should be the next head coach. There are a lot of players that do not like playing for him.

I have spoken with several players who played under Coach J and Copley and while he may have a football mind, he is not who they want to be led by. Not someone they can all get together and rally around. This was from a group of 5 or so starters on the team so they cannot speak for the whole team, I understand, but if they all strongly felt that way, I have to think that others do so as well.

You cant go on what 17-18 year old kids say. I know when I was that age somedays I loved Coach Howard and other days I wanted to be at least 2 counties away from the guy LOL!!!. But, I always respected him. Trust me Im about as close to this program right now as a non-coach can be and believe me when I tell you these kids do respect Coach Copely. Ive talked to more than several current players and they all respect this guy.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Hardnosed football will not win state championships against these teams coming out of the rest of KY, not anymore. As we see almost every year, the teams from Northern and Central KY are much more fast, much more quick. It doesn't matter how hardnosed you are if you're getting run all over the field.

much more fast,much more quick.....?????

Is that the same thing as faster and quicker????Big Grin

Just kidding CE!!!Cool
Panther Thunder Wrote:I want someone who is going to lead the team in the right direction while making it fun at the same time,
Winning is what makes it fun
1911 Wrote:I think they might try to look somewhat out of the system like they did with Jackson. Some other people that might be considered close to the program are Chase Gibson, Mike Copely, and Matt Branham. These guys are all young and have a large knowledge of football.

Chase Gibson is a fine football mind with 3-4 years of assistant coaching at the varsity level.
Matt Branham is also a fine football mind with three years of junior high football experience. It wouldn't be good if he took off in the middle of a game to go hunting either.
Mike Copley has 10-11 years of coaching experience at 4 different schools.
Chase and Matt would be excellent assistant coaches right now but as far as someone being varsity ready you have to look at Copley. His football knowledge probably dwarves Chase and Matt's. No disrespect to either of them because I believe that both should be coaching at Pikeville in some capacity.
Panther Thunder Wrote:What about Jason Howell?

This is comical. Howell is good guy with lots of knowledge, but with that knowledge comes a lot of baggage. No way he is ready for this head coaching job.
1911 Wrote:Pikeville doesn't have the players to contend for state title's. They haven't for quite sometime. They need a coach that will get them back to basic hardnosed football like they had in the past. I think Ben Howard would also be a good choice. It would be nice to follow your fathers footsteps and coach on his field.

You want hardnosed football and Ben Howard. He runs a finesse spread offense. Nothing very hardnosed about that. His defense may be hardnosed but half hardnosed is not what you seem to be saying.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:You cant go on what 17-18 year old kids say. I know when I was that age somedays I loved Coach Howard and other days I wanted to be at least 2 counties away from the guy LOL!!!. But, I always respected him. Trust me Im about as close to this program right now as a non-coach can be and believe me when I tell you these kids do respect Coach Copely. Ive talked to more than several current players and they all respect this guy.

HAIL PIKEVILLE and I have talked to these kids and all we have talked to have said that they want Copley to be their coach. This was yesterday that they told me. They were starters and backups. Their were about 20-25 that told me the same thing.
Rumor has it that two of BGR's finest will be named co head coaches within the next millenium. Chuck Taylor and jetpilot congratulations on this honor. LOL
Just kidding guys!
Has Hillard Howard's son been mentioned?
Capt. DH Wrote:Rumor has it that two of BGR's finest will be named co head coaches within the next millenium. Chuck Taylor and jetpilot congratulations on this honor. LOL
Just kidding guys!

jetpilot has already applied for the position of head Monday morning quarterback, lol.
blackcat_student Wrote:Has Hillard Howard's son been mentioned?

He has been mentioned on here.
PC_You_Know Wrote:This is just like the SV situation 2 years ago. All the players and parents wanted Hampton to take over the head coaching position after he was interim coach and took them to the playoffs. This however, was not the outcome and resulted in many players quitting.
Tanks for the input, but Pikeville doesn,t need to model their program after SV.
However, I do believe SV made the right decision.
I believe that personal matters (or rumors to that effect) need not be discussed in the forums!
  • 1(current)
  • Next