Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Coach in 14th
who does everyone think is the best coach in the 14th.

I think Hammonds and Dixon.
The are some good coaches in the 14th.

-Hammonds (KCC) prolly knows the most about baseball.
-Coach Dean from LCC is prolly the best and hardest worker IMO.
- Varney from Powell prolly the best upcoming coach hes pretty young.
MVP2 Wrote:The are some good coaches in the 14th.

I would have to agree with all of that.
MVP2 Wrote:The are some good coaches in the 14th.

i agree
Hammonds of KCC.
coach bryan dean and also heard good things on varney from powell
Coach Varney is a very smart coach.
Coach Varney is working wonders in Powell County as a coach. I see a big and bright future in Stanton in the upcoming years.
Russel Melton of Leslie. Been to the region championship 2 years in a row.
TakeItToTheHouse/The2nd Wrote:Russel Melton of Leslie. Been to the region championship 2 years in a row.

Agreed, his Eagles have only been a couple of runs away from a regional championship on several occasions-
2003- Hazard, 7-4 (finals)
2005- Powell Co., 5-4 (semi-finals)
2006- Powell Co., 5-4 (finals)
2007- Letcher Cent., 9-7 (finals)

Two others that have not been mentioned yet:
John Meehan, Hazard - 3 regional titles, 2 regional runner-up finishes
Danny Wood, Estill Co. - 2000-2002 teams reached semi-finals of 10th region, would have been a hand full in the 14th
Dixon - Perry Central
Dean - Letcher Central
Hammonds - Knott Central
Meehan - Hazard
King - JBS
Varney - Powell
Melton - Leslie

** These are tops in the region in my opinion. I'm sure there may be one I'm leaving off, but these guys will bring out competitive teams every year. And look for JBS to be very competitive in the near future under Randy King.
TakeItToTheHouse/The2nd Wrote:Russel Melton of Leslie. Been to the region championship 2 years in a row.

I agree with you, I wasnt even thinkin bout Coach Melton when I posted his name should deff be on there!
Dont overlook Randy King from JBS...Was a standout player at KCC back in the day before a stellar career at ALC...He knows baseball...
He has alot of work ahead of him. It's hard to be a coach.
danny wood...of estill county
BaseballMan Wrote:Dixon - Perry Central
Dean - Letcher Central
Hammonds - Knott Central
Meehan - Hazard
King - JBS
Varney - Powell
Melton - Leslie

** These are tops in the region in my opinion. I'm sure there may be one I'm leaving off, but these guys will bring out competitive teams every year. And look for JBS to be very competitive in the near future under Randy King.
Pretty good list here. I really don't know much about King from JBS though. He hasn't really been talked about much on here in the past that I can remember.
BaseballMan Wrote:Dixon - Perry Central
Dean - Letcher Central
Hammonds - Knott Central
Meehan - Hazard
King - JBS
Varney - Powell
Melton - Leslie

this is a good list but i do think dean, hammonds, and meehan are in a league all their own compared to the rest of the coaches..
http://www.khsbca.com/coaches_active.php

According to this website, the winningest active coaches from the 14th are...

Hammonds (543) 8th overall among active coaches
Dixon (285)
Wood (214)
Melton (205)
Meehan (202)
rawlingsfan Wrote:http://www.khsbca.com/coaches_active.php

According to this website, the winningest active coaches from the 14th are...

Hammonds (543) 8th overall among active coaches
Dixon (285)
Wood (214)
Melton (205)
Meehan (202)

i think they are referring to the current coaching situations...these are all great coaches but with all the new young coaches you can't really count the number of wins anymore...you can't take anything away from these guys though...longevity is the product of success...
Godspeed Wrote:Coach Varney is working wonders in Powell County as a coach. I see a big and bright future in Stanton in the upcoming years.

Oh most definitely. He will help out Powell a lot! Varney will be a bring some winning to Powell County!!!
bluegrassballa Wrote:Oh most definitely. He will help out Powell a lot! Varney will be a bring some winning to Powell County!!!

Hasn't Powell been winning for years?
the reputation i know of powell county is there has been a pretty solid foundation set up for the past 7 or 8 years, im not sure of their history before that, but they have been contenders the past 7 or 8 years
Norm Wrote:Hasn't Powell been winning for years?

Well, I mean more winning...lol
Coach Dean..HANDS DOWN!
IMO the best coaches are the ones who stay pretty consistent throughout there career no matter what the talent they have based on that criteria, bryan dean is probably the best coach in the 14th his teams have always contended no matter what talent he has had, especially last year. Lets face it Letcher did not have the best team, they were well prepared. Melton also has teams that are always tough to beat. I dont think Meehan is to be mentioned the only good teams he had were when Patrick was behind the plate and they were a loaded team, the last few years he has had decent talent and nothing to show for it.
RollEm97 Wrote:IMO the best coaches are the ones who stay pretty consistent throughout there career no matter what the talent they have based on that criteria, bryan dean is probably the best coach in the 14th his teams have always contended no matter what talent he has had, especially last year. Lets face it Letcher did not have the best team, they were well prepared. Melton also has teams that are always tough to beat. I dont think Meehan is to be mentioned the only good teams he had were when Patrick was behind the plate and they were a loaded team, the last few years he has had decent talent and nothing to show for it.

wow i completely agree with you, however, i do think you have to give meehan a little credit, he's had some longevity at hazard and has done really well there since he's been there, for the most part year in year out..
Let's face it, this day and age one coach cannot do it by himself (very few players WORK when someone is not standing right over top of them). The head coach cannot position the infield, position the outfield, call a defense for that particular situation, and call a pitch during a game, or games would last forever. There would be no flow or rhythm. It takes a STAFF to make the head coach look good.

All the coaches mentioned in this thread are blessed with good assistant coaches that have the freedom to do their thing. Not to take anything away from Hazard's current coaching staff (they have not had the pitching staff to work with over the past 3 seasons - Lamar, Randy, Clay, and Steve Sizemore were studs for this region), but Brian Campbell, Chris Varney, and Patrick Wooton all did a great job with the talent that Hazard had from 2000-2004 at Hazard and Meehan was smart enough to let them do their thing and manage.
Cavanaugh Trent has to be the best coach in the region although he is an assistant to Dean. Dean couldnt wear Trents jockstrap. Hail Big Root!
warmachine Wrote:Cavanaugh Trent has to be the best coach in the region although he is an assistant to Dean. Dean couldnt wear Trents jockstrap. Hail Big Root!

come on man...
i beg to differ hoot owl, most of the assistant high school coaches i have saw are merely there to help out in practice and pretty much moral support most are not even on the same page as the head coach...i have been a part of one of the mentioned coaches and he pretty much ran the show all by himself, calling pitches and running the offense. I have also observed other head coaches that are mentioned running both offense and calling pitches and making shifts in the defense. 14th region coaches run the show on there teams.