Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville (PHS) Field of Dreams Softball Complex and 2008 season
oneijoe Wrote:Let me inform you, point by point...

1. During Jim Roe's time as Super, the BOE did indeed buy the property. Of course, it then remained an undeveloped bog, suitable only as a football practice field for many years. It was like buying a lot, yet not building a house to put on it.

2. School system "bent over backwards for the softball team" ?? Do you mean things like: 1) giving the softball team the hand-me-down baseball uniforms and calling them "new", 2) hiring a coach for the team that had never coached softball at ANY level previously, 3) allowing the football team to CONTINUE using the softball field for practice after it was developed (blocking sleds do NASTY things to infields, not to mention chewing up the ground with cleats when the ground was muddy), 3) not moving to finish the facility for softball until the very end of the KHSAA deadline (5 years)... ??

3. "...all this for a sport that wouldn't break even financially..." That's an often used argument against women's athletics. Fortunately, the federal court system enforces Title IX which, among other things, says school sports don't exist for the purpose of creating profit. Rather, they exist for the benefit of students, male AND female. Think about that before you continue your "we have our priorities out of line" argument. It IS about education.

4. The "break the bank" argument holds no water, either. Over the ~16 yrs. Paintsville has had organized softball, the school system has rarely given the team more than a fraction of what ANY major men's sports team received. It's time to make up some of that disparity.

The -funny- part is...if the BOE would have put a much lesser amount of $$ into the field at Thealka 10 yrs. ago, and brought the facility up to tournament standard (lights, legal fencing, etc.), I doubt any of this would have ever been an issue. The softball parents so many years ago just wanted a legal field for their daughters to use.

Of course, it's FAR too late for that now. There were too many times the money was there and diverted for some "emergency" use (weight equipment, gymnasium reconditioning, etc).

On the bright side, work HAS commenced at the softball field. Since the work can be done within 2-3 weeks (information I've been given), things are looking better than they did a week ago.

Nicely said oneijoe!!!! It isn't about money, it is only about fairness. These girls just want and equal opportunity to play ball!!!
tigerturds70 Wrote:I really do not understand all the fuss about the PHS (field of dreams) is all about. It appears to me that the school system has bent over backwards for the softball team. First Jim Roe bought the property for the field.... the boys dont own the field they play on. 2nd Mr Samons has developed said property into a fine looking field and athletic complex. And 3rd all this for a school sport that wouldnt even break even financially if they went undefeated and won the state title. But yet the school system is supposed to "break the bank" and build this in years that the state is supposed to cut funding andlay off teachers. Perhaps our priorities are out of line I thought we sent our kids to school to get an education.

Yes, We do send our children to school to get an education. But it is also good for them to enjoy their youth while they can.

Is the sport all about the almighty dollar? If so we are hurting. Our kids can not learn everything they need to know from books. Teaching them about teamwork, good sportsmanship and dedication will help them just as much.

You must not have ever had a girl play softball. Or you would think differently.
The parents of these players pay their tax-dollars for the school system. And believe me it is plenty. That money should go to all activities our children are involved in.

If they were to receive their just, then maybe you would see the State Title in our area.
Coach Napier was hired to be the softball coach? I think not. Jason Kinner had no coaching experience before he was made an assistant under Coach Runyons 1 year coaching football. He however was a former player.

Matt Ratliff was hired to be the aire appearant to Coach Runyon in boys basketball? I think not. Matt Ratliff had no coaching experience until he was made an assistant under Coach Runyon. He however was a Former player.

Mark Baldwin... former player
Tucker Howard.... former player
See the trend?

Why should softball be any different? I will admit the truth that many others will not. If you notice at the BOE mettings the sotball parents are always there. This field has been a distraction to all who have a love of Paintsville City Schools.

Heres an idea maybe if the BOE lays off all the Certified Staff we could build the kind of field that is "DREAMED" of, and hire the softball coach away from the university of Oklahoma. Then maybe just maybe we could have "SATISFIED" softball parents. Thats my dream any way.
tigerturds70 Wrote:I really do not understand all the fuss about the PHS (field of dreams) is all about. It appears to me that the school system has bent over backwards for the softball team. First Jim Roe bought the property for the field.... the boys dont own the field they play on. 2nd Mr Samons has developed said property into a fine looking field and athletic complex. And 3rd all this for a school sport that wouldnt even break even financially if they went undefeated and won the state title. But yet the school system is supposed to "break the bank" and build this in years that the state is supposed to cut funding andlay off teachers. Perhaps our priorities are out of line I thought we sent our kids to school to get an education.

The field that the girls were using at Thealka, could have benn made into a first class facility with less than 100K spent. How much have we spent so far on a field that I have no idea were any fan could watch a game from. The softball field was just an excuse to buy that property. We all know that.
The Thealka field was never a long term option....
1: outside the city and too far away from the area most Tiger fans live
2: money invested there would not for sure be used by our girls long term... vandalism, or theft
3: security would be a issue if police were needed, county police would put less emphasis on a game off school grounds

Hey I liked Thealka field I hope the lady Eagles do well there this year.... but it was a band aid not a cure.:dontthink
transplanttiger Wrote:Coach Napier was hired to be the softball coach? I think not. Jason Kinner had no coaching experience before he was made an assistant under Coach Runyons 1 year coaching football. He however was a former player.

Matt Ratliff was hired to be the aire appearant to Coach Runyon in boys basketball? I think not. Matt Ratliff had no coaching experience until he was made an assistant under Coach Runyon. He however was a Former player.

Mark Baldwin... former player
Tucker Howard.... former player
See the trend?

Why should softball be any different? I will admit the truth that many others will not. If you notice at the BOE mettings the sotball parents are always there. This field has been a distraction to all who have a love of Paintsville City Schools.

Heres an idea maybe if the BOE lays off all the Certified Staff we could build the kind of field that is "DREAMED" of, and hire the softball coach away from the university of Oklahoma. Then maybe just maybe we could have "SATISFIED" softball parents. Thats my dream any way.

Well written, but for the life of me, I don't understand what point you're trying to make... :confused:

It sounds like you're diriding the level of activism shown by the softball parents. And perhaps some of this has, indeed, been a "distraction" to the passive crowd that love the City Schools. If so...well...sorry. The level of activism won't change until the problem is fixed (and in addition in this case, brought into federal compliance).

Think you got a little carried away in your last paragraph ?? Smile
transplanttiger Wrote:The Thealka field was never a long term option....
1: outside the city and too far away from the area most Tiger fans live
2: money invested there would not for sure be used by our girls long term... vandalism, or theft
3: security would be a issue if police were needed, county police would put less emphasis on a game off school grounds

Hey I liked Thealka field I hope the lady Eagles do well there this year.... but it was a band aid not a cure.:dontthink

No doubt, you're right about Thealka not being suitable as a permanent solution for Paintsville softball...from an administrative perspective.

Earlier, I was referring to the perspective of the player's parents. Like I said, they would have been satisfied with that location if it were brought up to standard.

If the parents would have been satisfied, there would likely have never been the impetus to persue an alternative facility. In other words, there would have been no "squeeky wheel" in the first place. If a move were to happen then, it would simply have been an administrative choice (not necessarily one pushed upon it by its constituency).

:Thumbs:
oneijoe Wrote:Let me inform you, point by point...

1. During Jim Roe's time as Super, the BOE did indeed buy the property. Of course, it then remained an undeveloped bog, suitable only as a football practice field for many years. It was like buying a lot, yet not building a house to put on it.

2. School system "bent over backwards for the softball team" ?? Do you mean things like: 1) giving the softball team the hand-me-down baseball uniforms and calling them "new", 2) hiring a coach for the team that had never coached softball at ANY level previously, 3) allowing the football team to CONTINUE using the softball field for practice after it was developed (blocking sleds do NASTY things to infields, not to mention chewing up the ground with cleats when the ground was muddy), 3) not moving to finish the facility for softball until the very end of the KHSAA deadline (5 years)... ??

3. "...all this for a sport that wouldn't break even financially..." That's an often used argument against women's athletics. Fortunately, the federal court system enforces Title IX which, among other things, says school sports don't exist for the purpose of creating profit. Rather, they exist for the benefit of students, male AND female. Think about that before you continue your "we have our priorities out of line" argument. It IS about education.

4. The "break the bank" argument holds no water, either. Over the ~16 yrs. Paintsville has had organized softball, the school system has rarely given the team more than a fraction of what ANY major men's sports team received. It's time to make up some of that disparity.

The -funny- part is...if the BOE would have put a much lesser amount of $$ into the field at Thealka 10 yrs. ago, and brought the facility up to tournament standard (lights, legal fencing, etc.), I doubt any of this would have ever been an issue. The softball parents so many years ago just wanted a legal field for their daughters to use.

Of course, it's FAR too late for that now. There were too many times the money was there and diverted for some "emergency" use (weight equipment, gymnasium reconditioning, etc).

On the bright side, work HAS commenced at the softball field. Since the work can be done within 2-3 weeks (information I've been given), things are looking better than they did a week ago.

The point I was referring to was your earlier comment (see above) about Paintsville not hiring an experienced coach for softball. If you think about typical Paintsville coaches in all sports they are generally "in house", young, and almost always former players/students. For example---BMR, Burr, Kinner, Ratliff, Baldwin, shall I go on? Paintsville is a SMALL independent school and you can make believe all you want that they pay their football and boy's bball coaches big money---but it ain't true. Compare what Paintsville pays to what a school like JCHS pays.

Secondly the softball coach at Paintsville makes a much more comparable salary to the Paintsville football/boy's bball/baseball coach than in any other school I know of. If you don't believe me check it out----it is public record. I have! (What is really a shame is that BMR has made a relatively low salary and has basically carried the Paintsville sports program on his back the past few years. Compare what he makes to what someone like Matney makes, or what Haywood made, or what probably Phillip Wireman makes.)

Thirdly, Paintsville sports facilities in general are less affluent than in surrounding county schools. The gym is a crackerbox---well maintained and loved, but old. The football field is the minimum of what the school can use. The baseball field is barely regulation----and city property to boot! The rec. center track is not KHSAA approved---and if you'll look they have produced a tremendous amount of regional/state champions in track and cross country. What about our illustrious tennis courts? What makes Paintsville a great school system is not the great quality of their facilities----but what they do with those facilities!

I have children who play other sports besides softball. Let's remember school unity means a lot more than fancy facilities. The impression I get from some softball parents at the BOE meetings is that everything in the district (academics, other athletics, maintenance, etc) should all take a backseat to a small sector of parents and their Title 9 complaints.

I have seen other independent school systems try to "keep up with the Joneses" and put in these big sports facilities Paintsville is not a Goliath in the school system world. We are a single A school with one of the smallest enrollments in eastern KY. Let's keep this in perspective.

By the way, just a question. Does P-burg have a softball field of their own? Or do they play at Archer Park??????? What about Sheldon Clark????? What about Magoffin???? Just a question---I don't know, but I'm willing to bet we are not the only school who didn't own a softball field.....

Confusederved:
transplanttiger Wrote:The point I was referring to was your earlier comment (see above) about Paintsville not hiring an experienced coach for softball. If you think about typical Paintsville coaches in all sports they are generally "in house", young, and almost always former players/students. For example---BMR, Burr, Kinner, Ratliff, Baldwin, shall I go on? Paintsville is a SMALL independent school and you can make believe all you want that they pay their football and boy's bball coaches big money---but it ain't true. Compare what Paintsville pays to what a school like JCHS pays.

Secondly the softball coach at Paintsville makes a much more comparable salary to the Paintsville football/boy's bball/baseball coach than in any other school I know of. If you don't believe me check it out----it is public record. I have! (What is really a shame is that BMR has made a relatively low salary and has basically carried the Paintsville sports program on his back the past few years. Compare what he makes to what someone like Matney makes, or what Haywood made, or what probably Phillip Wireman makes.)

Thirdly, Paintsville sports facilities in general are less affluent than in surrounding county schools. The gym is a crackerbox---well maintained and loved, but old. The football field is the minimum of what the school can use. The baseball field is barely regulation----and city property to boot! The rec. center track is not KHSAA approved---and if you'll look they have produced a tremendous amount of regional/state champions in track and cross country. What about our illustrious tennis courts? What makes Paintsville a great school system is not the great quality of their facilities----but what they do with those facilities!

I have children who play other sports besides softball. Let's remember school unity means a lot more than fancy facilities. The impression I get from some softball parents at the BOE meetings is that everything in the district (academics, other athletics, maintenance, etc) should all take a backseat to a small sector of parents and their Title 9 complaints.

I have seen other independent school systems try to "keep up with the Joneses" and put in these big sports facilities Paintsville is not a Goliath in the school system world. We are a single A school with one of the smallest enrollments in eastern KY. Let's keep this in perspective.

By the way, just a question. Does P-burg have a softball field of their own? Or do they play at Archer Park??????? What about Sheldon Clark????? What about Magoffin???? Just a question---I don't know, but I'm willing to bet we are not the only school who didn't own a softball field.....

Confusederved:

:Sad04: Sorry, I just jerked a tear. :Sad04:

This has to be the BEST post I have ever read on this site! :thanks:
transplanttiger Wrote:The point I was referring to was your earlier comment (see above) about Paintsville not hiring an experienced coach for softball. If you think about typical Paintsville coaches in all sports they are generally "in house", young, and almost always former players/students. For example---BMR, Burr, Kinner, Ratliff, Baldwin, shall I go on? Paintsville is a SMALL independent school and you can make believe all you want that they pay their football and boy's bball coaches big money---but it ain't true. Compare what Paintsville pays to what a school like JCHS pays.

Confusederved:
Just curious as to what Independent you might be referring to? I can't think of one right off the top of my head.
Harrodsburg for one.....They went out last year and consolidated into Mercer...overspending/budget issues are what I heard put them out.

The number of independent school districts in KY goes down each yr. I'm not saying Paintsville is in any danger of closing---but they have to closely watch the budget/finance issues. They don't have the same amount of money to play with that a county system would.
There's so much I'd like to say, but can't..... for one reason or another.... What is left to do on the softball field won't break anyone.... Maybe softball needs to immulate the fundraising tactics of other programs within the school and take care of a few things for itself. This might however cause someone to take a close look @ the amount of time spent on Softball instead of another sport. There has always been plenty of resources @ their disposal... but everything had to wait until they returned from the Girls State /tournament....
transplanttiger Wrote:Harrodsburg for one.....They went out last year and consolidated into Mercer...overspending/budget issues are what I heard put them out.

The number of independent school districts in KY goes down each yr. I'm not saying Paintsville is in any danger of closing---but they have to closely watch the budget/finance issues. They don't have the same amount of money to play with that a county system would.
I cant say that I know all of the particulars of that merger,but wouldn't it be more correctly be described as the county system taking in the city independent system and accomodating the county's facilities to handle the influx of the city school's students, rather than an independent system expanding and doing the upgrading? Remember there was already a Mercer Co. school system before Harrodsburg shut their doors.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I cant say that I know all of the particulars of that merger,but wouldn't it be more correctly be described as the county system taking in the city independent system and accomodating the county's facilities to handle the influx of the city school's students, rather than an independent system expanding and doing the upgrading? Remember there was already a Mercer Co. school system before Harrodsburg shut their doors.
Harrodsburg closed due to overspending in previous years.... keeping up with the Joneses. Harrodsburg closed, then Mercer county did accomodate the incoming students and Harrodsburg lost its independent identity.
I am opposed to that ever happening to us. Paintsville has a reputation of its own. I never hope to see it a part of the JC school system no matter what. I may be a TRANSPLANT/ BROUGHT ON but my blood is BLUE.
:thumpsup:
transplanttiger Wrote:Harrodsburg closed due to overspending in previous years.... keeping up with the Joneses. Harrodsburg closed, then Mercer county did accomodate the incoming students and Harrodsburg lost its independent identity.
I am opposed to that ever happening to us. Paintsville has a reputation of its own. I never hope to see it a part of the JC school system no matter what. I may be a TRANSPLANT/ BROUGHT ON but my blood is BLUE.
:thumpsup:
Thanks for the information. Like I said, I did not know the particulars.
Magoffin and Sheldon Clark both play on Little League fields. However, LL filds are basically the same size
When Paintsville plays on the LL field... it puts everyone playing @ a disadvantage. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but softball isn't played on a grass infield.... so we can practice til the cows come home on dirt, but it's like daylight and dark when you have to play on grass. Other teams are @ a disadvantage when they come here... and we're at a disadvantage when we go there...+ we can not host Tournament games ....

@ Magoffin and SC, the LL fields they have, are dirt infields.... I pray that every team around here, gets the very best of facilities. Everyone's children deserve it and it's the right thing to do... regardless of their gender.
Wow, lots of stuff here and I appreciate the time it took for you to clarify. :Thumbs:

However, many of the points you make (true as they might be) aren't applicable to what's happening.

Stay with me...I'll take this apart one at a time...

Yes, the coaches you mention are/were all young and did not have previous head coaching jobs when hired, true. They all also have deep Tiger roots, that's also true. None of this is a problem. To the contrary, IMO, it makes them ideal hires because of their obvious loyalty to PHS.

However, each and every one of those coaches did -at a very minimum- play the sport and/or serve as an assistant coach/mentored in the respective sport he coaches. Coach Napier, OTOH, never coached or assisted in organized softball at ANY level. She'll tell you herself she's actually had to learn the nuances/strategies of softball on the job.

transplanttiger Wrote:Secondly the softball coach at Paintsville makes a much more comparable salary to the Paintsville football/boy's bball/baseball coach than in any other school I know of. If you don't believe me check it out----it is public record. I have! (What is really a shame is that BMR has made a relatively low salary and has basically carried the Paintsville sports program on his back the past few years. Compare what he makes to what someone like Matney makes, or what Haywood made, or what probably Phillip Wireman makes.)

Quite a soapbox, but nothing I've previously said has ANYTHING to do with coaching salaries. I quite agree that Coach Runyon could have earned much more $$ working at a different school. He's a very special coach and Paintsville will miss him greatly when he retires. I felt the same regarding Coach Adkins.

transplanttiger Wrote:Thirdly, Paintsville sports facilities in general are less affluent than in surrounding county schools. The gym is a crackerbox---well maintained and loved, but old. The football field is the minimum of what the school can use. The baseball field is barely regulation----and city property to boot! The rec. center track is not KHSAA approved---and if you'll look they have produced a tremendous amount of regional/state champions in track and cross country. What about our illustrious tennis courts? What makes Paintsville a great school system is not the great quality of their facilities----but what they do with those facilities!

I agree 100% !!!

transplanttiger Wrote:I have children who play other sports besides softball. Let's remember school unity means a lot more than fancy facilities. The impression I get from some softball parents at the BOE meetings is that everything in the district (academics, other athletics, maintenance, etc) should all take a backseat to a small sector of parents and their Title 9 complaints.

I ALSO have children who play sports besides softball. One plays tennis, and the other plays volleyball and archery in addition to softball.

Where have you EVER seen or heard a softball parent express a desire for "fancy facilities" ?!?

Let me tell you something about your expressed "impression". I'll find it highly OFFENSIVE if you aim it MY way. My wife and I have totaled no less than 6 years in serving as officers in Academic and Sports Boosters. I tell you this to let you know FIRSTHAND displacing other needs (as opposed to "wants") at PHS is NOT necessary in completing the field, nor has the issue ever been forced in times of true financial strain in the school system. This should be self-evident in that this issue has never been taken before a federal court when it could have for many years.

Don't mistake parents that are "involved" with parents that are "troublemakers". Involved parents attend occasional Board meetings and express themselves when invited. Troublemaker parents don't attend Board meetings but eagerly criticise "rumored" Board decisions, nonetheless.

transplanttiger Wrote:I have seen other independent school systems try to "keep up with the Joneses" and put in these big sports facilities Paintsville is not a Goliath in the school system world. We are a single A school with one of the smallest enrollments in eastern KY. Let's keep this in perspective.

Nothing to disagree with here.

transplanttiger Wrote:By the way, just a question. Does P-burg have a softball field of their own? Or do they play at Archer Park??????? What about Sheldon Clark????? What about Magoffin???? Just a question---I don't know, but I'm willing to bet we are not the only school who didn't own a softball field....

You miss the point entirely, as no team parent has ever insisted the team had to have its "own" field. That has never mattered in the slightest. One of the Little League fields, sans the infield grass, would have been perfectly acceptable as a home venue. That's what the other schools you mention have, and use. I have NO IDEA whether the idea of tearing out the grass infield on either the major or minor league field (to create a regulation softball venue) was ever considered by the Board, Little League, or City.

Paintsville Little League graciously allowed the use of their facilities in the teams last couple of seasons in an agreement with the BOE. They are to be commended for that.
oneijoe Wrote:Wow, lots of stuff here and I appreciate the time it took for you to clarify. :Thumbs:

However, many of the points you make (true as they might be) aren't applicable to what's happening.

Stay with me...I'll take this apart one at a time...

Yes, the coaches you mention are/were all young and did not have previous head coaching jobs when hired, true. They all also have deep Tiger roots, that's also true. None of this is a problem. To the contrary, IMO, it makes them ideal hires because of their obvious loyalty to PHS.

However, each and every one of those coaches did -at a very minimum- play the sport and/or serve as an assistant coach/mentored in the respective sport he coaches. Coach Napier, OTOH, never coached or assisted in organized softball at ANY level. She'll tell you herself she's actually had to learn the nuances/strategies of softball on the job.

Quite a soapbox, but nothing I've previously said has ANYTHING to do with coaching salaries. I quite agree that Coach Runyon could have earned much more $$ working at a different school. He's a very special coach and Paintsville will miss him greatly when he retires. I felt the same regarding Coach Adkins.

I agree 100% !!!

I ALSO have children who play sports besides softball. One plays tennis, and the other plays volleyball and archery in addition to softball.

Where have you EVER seen or heard a softball parent express a desire for "fancy facilities" ?!?

Let me tell you something about your expressed "impression". I'll find it highly OFFENSIVE if you aim it MY way. My wife and I have totaled no less than 6 years in serving as officers in Academic and Sports Boosters. I tell you this to let you know FIRSTHAND displacing other needs (as opposed to "wants") at PHS is NOT necessary in completing the field, nor has the issue ever been forced in times of true financial strain in the school system. This should be self-evident in that this issue has never been taken before a federal court when it could have for many years.

Don't mistake parents that are "involved" with parents that are "troublemakers". Involved parents attend occasional Board meetings and express themselves when invited. Troublemaker parents don't attend Board meetings but eagerly criticise "rumored" Board decisions, nonetheless.

Nothing to disagree with here.

You miss the point entirely, as no team parent has ever insisted the team had to have its "own" field. That has never mattered in the slightest. One of the Little League fields, sans the infield grass, would have been perfectly acceptable as a home venue. That's what the other schools you mention have, and use. I have NO IDEA whether the idea of tearing out the grass infield on either the major or minor league field (to create a regulation softball venue) was ever considered by the Board, Little League, or City.

Paintsville Little League graciously allowed the use of their facilities in the teams last couple of seasons in an agreement with the BOE. They are to be commended for that.

Sorry I haven't returned your post until now. To be quite honest I didn't think you would have posted....because I figured you were at the bball regional games--like me.

I am also a little confused as to why you say my posts are well written and true but then say you are going to take them "apart" one at a time....hum!

On your first point about the Paintsville softball coach having no experience, unless I am mistaken she did PLAY softball right? As you said yourself in the part I highlighted the coach needed to have at least played. I also know that when she was hired on at the district she did say she had softball experience----because it was one of the things she was hired to do!

My point with the salaries was the issue that "funding is not equal". Coach's salaries at Paintsville are paid on number or years in the district, level of degree, and "grade" of the sport. For example Football, and Girl's and Boy's bball are Grade A pay. Baseball and Softball are grade B....etc. Coaches for girl's sports are not paid less than in the Paintsville Boy's Sports. (By the way that is NOT TRUE in other districts---including our neighbors across the creek).

Thirdly I am NOT intentionally trying to insult anyone. You have the right to your opinion on this issue---I have the right to mine. Isn't the first amendment a wonderful thing????

To be quite honest you lost me on the whole dirt vs. grass infield thing. But that wasn't even related to the earlier points I was trying to make. I assume you are familiar with the story of Pandora's box. My issue with the whole thing is that we are a small district and it concerns me that when we get the softball field up to the "specks" of the concerned group then baseball will need the same. (You do known Title IX investigations work both ways!) Then what about track? What about tennis? What about soccer? I hope you get my drift. You're right----the softball field won't break the bank....but a combination of things sure can.

Bottom line I LOVE sports. I also LOVE Paintsville. But the number one reason my kids go to Paintsville is not the sports-----it is for the stuff going on in the classrooms. I want to see all of the Paintsville kids play on/in awesome facilities.
transplanttiger Wrote:Sorry I haven't returned your post until now. To be quite honest I didn't think you would have posted....because I figured you were at the bball regional games--like me.

I am also a little confused as to why you say my posts are well written and true but then say you are going to take them "apart" one at a time....hum!

On your first point about the Paintsville softball coach having no experience, unless I am mistaken she did PLAY softball right? As you said yourself in the part I highlighted the coach needed to have at least played. I also know that when she was hired on at the district she did say she had softball experience----because it was one of the things she was hired to do!

My point with the salaries was the issue that "funding is not equal". Coach's salaries at Paintsville are paid on number or years in the district, level of degree, and "grade" of the sport. For example Football, and Girl's and Boy's bball are Grade A pay. Baseball and Softball are grade B....etc. Coaches for girl's sports are not paid less than in the Paintsville Boy's Sports. (By the way that is NOT TRUE in other districts---including our neighbors across the creek).

Thirdly I am NOT intentionally trying to insult anyone. You have the right to your opinion on this issue---I have the right to mine. Isn't the first amendment a wonderful thing????

To be quite honest you lost me on the whole dirt vs. grass infield thing. But that wasn't even related to the earlier points I was trying to make. I assume you are familiar with the story of Pandora's box. My issue with the whole thing is that we are a small district and it concerns me that when we get the softball field up to the "specks" of the concerned group then baseball will need the same. (You do known Title IX investigations work both ways!) Then what about track? What about tennis? What about soccer? I hope you get my drift. You're right----the softball field won't break the bank....but a combination of things sure can.

Bottom line I LOVE sports. I also LOVE Paintsville. But the number one reason my kids go to Paintsville is not the sports-----it is for the stuff going on in the classrooms. I want to see all of the Paintsville kids play on/in awesome facilities.

When talking about someone saying they had softball exp. Dors that mean that since I broke my ankle once and had minor surgery that I could get hired in the medical proffession?
About the grass dirt thing. Most fields are dirt, tourney games are on dirt. We play on grass, there is a diff. I mean, what if BMR held his practices and games down at the rec, then went to the expo to play, do you not think it would make a diff?
As far as the field goes from a coaches point it is the same for both teams. We try to practice for the field if possible. For example before we play Paintsville we turn our infield facing the outfield and hit balls through the grass so they can adjust. The old JC field was very hard and super fast and the ball had a lot more bounce. Then you go to Buffalo Putnam across from the Toyota plant and they have a astro turf infield. Slap hitters love turf because they bounce one from infield to outfield. I have traveled all over the U.S. with ASA travel teams and played at multi-million dollar facilities but the fields are regulation with 60' base paths just like ours. I think in general there could be a lot more planning and joint ventures between school boards, city councils and fiscal courts that could develop muti use facilities that could be profit centers if managed right.
The next time you are in Huntington swing by 23rd and 3rd and check out the new Marshall softball field. 3.3 million 1st class
dawgbyte02 Wrote:As far as the field goes from a coaches point it is the same for both teams. We try to practice for the field if possible. For example before we play Paintsville we turn our infield facing the outfield and hit balls through the grass so they can adjust. The old JC field was very hard and super fast and the ball had a lot more bounce. Then you go to Buffalo Putnam across from the Toyota plant and they have a astro turf infield. Slap hitters love turf because they bounce one from infield to outfield. I have traveled all over the U.S. with ASA travel teams and played at multi-million dollar facilities but the fields are regulation with 60' base paths just like ours. I think in general there could be a lot more planning and joint ventures between school boards, city councils and fiscal courts that could develop muti use facilities that could be profit centers if managed right.
I agree, and there is an entire hollow in the city limits that could have been developed into this very thing. I had spoken to people about it but it got shot down. Nobody wants to put the effort out and that is the real problem.
I think that what people are misunderstanding here is the main point. The "team" (Whether it be boys or girls), just want a field that they can play on, that is regulation. It has nothing to do with how much was spent on the field or the location of the field. Something to call their own!!! If I am understanding correctly, they can't have any district or regional tournaments because of the grass infield. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
transplanttiger Wrote:...
To be quite honest you lost me on the whole dirt vs. grass infield thing. ...

If you don't understand that part of it, there's no wonder you see this issue the way you do. Wink

Title IX says the facilities should be roughly equivalent to that provided the equivalent boy's sport. In this case, it means the girl's facility should have lights, bleachers, press box & powered scorboard, and concessions (as does the baseball field).

It's not about wanting some sort kind of "special" treatment...