Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lee County 60 Estill County 59
Congratulations Bobcats!

Charles finished with 27 including the "0.6 second remaining" trey to win the game. Christopher and Cackling both played well for Estill. Lee's Campbell and Pelfrey rebounded great and they got great play from their guards as well.

Charles was knocked to the floor with 2.7 seconds remaining and there was no call. Lee had to inbound the ball 3/4 length of the floor, Charles caught it, jumped, turned in the air and released the prayer. He must'a been a good boy, 'cause it went 'swish'.

Lee fans ecstatic, Estill fans the opposite. An object came flying from Estill's bench (clipboard?) that struck an Estill cheerleader above the eye after the horn went off. I hope that she is ok.
Congratulations ref's please tell the whole story ARC so we will know if we watched the same game.
ARC Wrote:Congratulations Bobcats!

Charles finished with 27 including the "0.6 second remaining" trey to win the game. Christopher and Cackling both played well for Estill. Lee's Campbell and Pelfrey rebounded great and they got great play from their guards as well.

Charles was knocked to the floor with 2.7 seconds remaining and there was no call. Lee had to inbound the ball 3/4 length of the floor, Charles caught it, jumped, turned in the air and released the prayer. He must'a been a good boy, 'cause it went 'swish'.

Lee fans ecstatic, Estill fans the opposite. An object came flying from Estill's bench (clipboard?) that struck an Estill cheerleader above the eye after the horn went off. I hope that she is ok.

It was a great shot. It wasn't the kids fault - as usual it is an adult issue. It was 1.2 seconds from catch to shot and 1.7 seconds from catch to horn. Verified by film. The play began with 0.6 seconds on the clock.
Congratulations Bobcats.
Films do not lie. Yes the kids on both teams showed so much class. I just hope they paly again this year at Powell Co. These two teams match up so good and it would be another great game, but film did prove the shot should have not counted so good job ref's hope you sleep good tonight.
basketballwizz Wrote:One question and be honest if Hazard had beaten Lee last week by one on that same play what would have happen were are you lee co fans i need some imput.

I'm sorry, this question isn't very clear. Maybe it's rhetorical and I didn't get it, but what exactly are you asking here? Hazard beat Lee, yeah. And Lee beat Estill tonight on a wild shot. A game winner. And I don't think that was the same play from the Hazard game. It was a much better one, because for some reason Pelfrey had the ball at the top of the key and it was stripped from him, and they ended up losing. Coach Wright obviously learned from that mistake.
I'm sure they would have been mad because a loss is a loss, but the buzzer sounded when the Charles kid let it fly. It was in the air when time ran out. Or at least that's what I saw. I mean Estill got beat by one shot and it could've gone either way with the way it was thrown up there.
YouNeverKnow Wrote:I'm sure they would have been mad because a loss is a loss, but the buzzer sounded when the Charles kid let it fly. It was in the air when time ran out. Or at least that's what I saw. I mean Estill got beat by one shot and it could've gone either way with the way it was thrown up there.
No one questioned when the buzzer sounded - the question is with the starting of the clock. The shot took 1.2 seconds from touch to release. There was 0.6 seconds on the clock.
This was a typical Lee/Estill game close to the end. But if Estill is so much better than Lee why was the game at Estill so close. I believe it was 3 or 4 points. The clock person is a high school student who has done many JV games and had to fill in for the regular clock person because of personal reasons. So please refrain from attacking another student. The issue is with whether you agree with the refs decision that the shot was before time ran out or not. I heard numerous names being hurled at the players from Lee and the Coach after the game. I do not understand this. Every time these teams get together it goes down to the wire. If by chance they meet in the districts it should be a good game. If Estill wins I wish them the best, they are my second favorite team, they have great kids, that play hard and I really like Coach Tiller he coaches like his kids play with all thier heart. If the shot had not went in I would still be wishing the neers well in the future and you can look at my past posts and see I have pulled and always congratuated the neers throughout the years. Any one play could have changed the game. Best of luck to the neers and I hope we can get over a game that neither of us had any influence on the ending. I do not believe any refs got paid off as earlier stated.
JOBAKKA Wrote:This was a typical Lee/Estill game close to the end. But if Estill is so much better than Lee why was the game at Estill so close. I believe it was 3 or 4 points. The clock person is a high school student who has done many JV games and had to fill in for the regular clock person because of personal reasons. So please refrain from attacking another student. The issue is with whether you agree with the refs decision that the shot was before time ran out or not. I heard numerous names being hurled at the players from Lee and the Coach after the game. I do not understand this. Every time these teams get together it goes down to the wire. If by chance they meet in the districts it should be a good game. If Estill wins I wish them the best, they are my second favorite team, they have great kids, that play hard and I really like Coach Tiller he coaches like his kids play with all thier heart. If the shot had not went in I would still be wishing the neers well in the future and you can look at my past posts and see I have pulled and always congratuated the neers throughout the years. Any one play could have changed the game. Best of luck to the neers and I hope we can get over a game that neither of us had any influence on the ending. I do not believe any refs got paid off as earlier stated.

Nobody is bashing anyone - the facts are there were two bad calls as far as too much time being put back on the clock by the referees. The next mistake is that the referees did not step in and wave off the basket and at least replay the 0.6 seconds, when the clock obviously did not start when Charles first touched the ball. You are right - there were many missed free throws, no box outs, missed layups etc. that could have won the game. EVERY POSSESSION COUNTS! It was a hard fought game on both sides. Charles is unbelievable, and Pelphrey is a load inside. The other players do a great job of supporting and stepping in and getting big baskets when the Bobcats need them. No question - these kids fought just as hard as the Engineers. The problem is that the Engineers had a big shot of their own by Christopher at the end of the game and it SHOULD have been the game winner had everything been by the book. Nothing is being taken away from Charles and the Bobcats - they played great and he hit a tremendous shot - problem is time was out more than once - when the shot went in.
Congrats Lee Co..
Nice win Lee!
LEE CO. 60, ESTILL CO. 59

ESTILL CO. (12-10) — Christopher 14, Cackling 20,
Hoover 8, Roberts 5, Wiseman 2, Napier 3, Coffey 7.

LEE CO. (11-10) — Drake 2, Taulbee 4, Charles 27,
Campbell 9, Pelfrey 10, Wise 8.

Estill Co. . . . . . . . . .14 17 14 14—59
Lee Co. . . . . . . . . . . .13 18 18 11—60
Thanks ARC for the stats.
Great thread, It should make for a well packed, great district tourney!!
JOBAKKA Wrote:This was a typical Lee/Estill game close to the end. But if Estill is so much better than Lee why was the game at Estill so close. I believe it was 3 or 4 points. The clock person is a high school student who has done many JV games and had to fill in for the regular clock person because of personal reasons. So please refrain from attacking another student. The issue is with whether you agree with the refs decision that the shot was before time ran out or not. I heard numerous names being hurled at the players from Lee and the Coach after the game. I do not understand this. Every time these teams get together it goes down to the wire. If by chance they meet in the districts it should be a good game. If Estill wins I wish them the best, they are my second favorite team, they have great kids, that play hard and I really like Coach Tiller he coaches like his kids play with all thier heart. If the shot had not went in I would still be wishing the neers well in the future and you can look at my past posts and see I have pulled and always congratuated the neers throughout the years. Any one play could have changed the game. Best of luck to the neers and I hope we can get over a game that neither of us had any influence on the ending. I do not believe any refs got paid off as earlier stated.

I can not believe that in a game like this that Lee would put a student in charge of the clock.....
cheerforblue Wrote:I can not believe that in a game like this that Lee would put a student in charge of the clock.....

A parent would be better? How about a long time fan? Maybe we should get a rival to run the clock, like they do over in Estill Co? (note the sarcasm please)
As long as they keep you away from the clock ARC because you have proved that you know nothing about basketball. Note that is sarcasm.
cheerforblue Wrote:I can not believe that in a game like this that Lee would put a student in charge of the clock.....
I guess you still missed the point. He has run the JV clock for two years and has filled in before for varsity and does a good job. I guess no one in Estill land ever has a problem where they must miss a game. I wish it was so nice no one ever had a problem in thier life. But lets be honest how many Ft were missed how many turnovers how many mssied shots. all these factors could have turned the game in your favor. It is just easy to point the finger at someone else. Estill played a good game and Lee played a good game but it never comes down to one play. It is a cummulation of plays that determines an outcome. When Lee lost to Hazard there was a questionable play it was mentioned and congartulations were given to Hazard. Go look at the thread. So we have been there also. It wasn't the refs, scorekeeper, clock manager, man in the moons fault. We just lost to Hazard. Before long we will be talking about a mystery man and a grassy Knoll. I can't believe certain actions I saw last night either but I am over noe.
No you dont get the point if the right call had been made at the end of the game and the ref's had called the shot no good because he did not get the shot of in time and the clock had run out like it had then who would have been at blame go figure.
A last second shot is a very difficult call for a ref to make because they are watching the players and not the clock. There is no re-play to go by and the crowd noise can sometimes blocks out the horn. I don't know if the shot should have counted or not, but it sounds like it was a great game. Congrats Bobcats & Charles on a big game winner over fellow 56th district rival.
Juck yard dog how hard is it to count to 0.6 seconds be real here he cought the ball with his back to the basket turned around faced the basket and shot the ball it can not be done in 0.6 seconds that's all i'm saying in a game like this you have to know what's going on but the ref's were not in the game plus the bad thing is the time had run two times before the last shot.
By the way he is a great player can shoot lights out probley the best player in the 14th so i'm not trying to take anything away from him
basketballwizz Wrote:Juck yard dog how hard is it to count to 0.6 seconds be real here he cought the ball with his back to the basket turned around faced the basket and shot the ball it can not be done in 0.6 seconds that's all i'm saying in a game like this you have to know what's going on but the ref's were not in the game plus the bad thing is the time had run two times before the last shot.

I didn't see the play so I don't know what happened. Sounds like it was a very close call. I was just saying it is extremely hard for the refs to watch the clock in H.S. basketball. It's not like college where they have re-play. IMO I think most ref's listen for the horn, which is really all they can do because they are watching the players. If that's the case then the clock keeper plays a huge role in what happens. If he/she is 1/2 second late with their thumb on the buttom that can be a huge difference in a game. Because then they go from .06 sec's to 1.1 sec's.

Again I didn't see this particular play, but I have seen a thousand of them over the years and I'm just trying to explain what could have happend --- not what happpened. Just my opinion! good luck to both teams in the future.
Congrats Lee
basketballwizz Wrote:No you dont get the point if the right call had been made at the end of the game and the ref's had called the shot no good because he did not get the shot of in time and the clock had run out like it had then who would have been at blame go figure.
Again the point that was in question was the clockkeeper. That is what I was responding to. I wasn't talking about the shot(because of the controversary it will be called the shot forever now) The shot at the end was only 1 play and we can all point to many areas that could have been better and would have made a difference. The call at the end whether right or wrong is a matter of opinion. And we all have one. But the only one that really counts was the man in the striped shirt.
ARC Wrote:A parent would be better? How about a long time fan? Maybe we should get a rival to run the clock, like they do over in Estill Co? (note the sarcasm please)

I have been attending games at Estill for years and I can't recall anything like this happening with the clock, but I think I read on here that something very simliar happen in the Powell Lee game ( at Lee).TongueirateSho
cheerforblue Wrote:I have been attending games at Estill for years and I can't recall anything like this happening with the clock, but I think I read on here that something very simliar happen in the Powell Lee game ( at Lee).TongueirateSho
You are partly correct. Charles hit another game winning three. But the Powell crowd and coach had no problem with it. No one from Estill complained when the clock ran out and the official Brian Cook had to put .6 back on the clock because he blew the whistle when the ball went out of bounds before the clock ran out.The referee in charge put the .6 back on the clock not the clock person. I keep waiting for the hidden gunman on the grassy knoll to get into this thread. Conspiracy abounds. I have been attending games for many many years and I am not sure I have ever seen such a spectacle either.
what you saw was 3 ref's that cant even count to 0.6 there is no way that the shot cound be made in 0.6. Tell me what would have happen if the right call would have been made the they did not count the 3 and Lee would have lost like it should been? If you were there to know the basket should not have counted and the game would have been over with a Estill co win.Have you even been to a game when the clock ran out 2 time with out a winner?
There was time on the clock in the Powell co game and it sould have counted there was no time on the clock in the Estill Co game.
basketballwizz Wrote:what you saw was 3 ref's that cant even count to 0.6 there is no way that the shot cound be made in 0.6. Tell me what would have happen if the right call would have been made the they did not count the 3 and Lee would have lost like it should been? If you were there to know the basket should not have counted and the game would have been over with a Estill co win.Have you even been to a game when the clock ran out 2 time with out a winner?
I was there and I thought the shot should have counted but I also recognize that I may not be as objective in the matter since I am a Lee fan. I could have lived with whatever any call was. I thought our big man got hammered on the last shot we had before Blake hit his shot. charles got hit both times at the end on the play where the ball went out and on the shot. If they had not counted the shot I wouldn't feel any different today than I do now. To meet again we have a real challenge ahead to beat Powell at Powell. If we can get lucky and advance we will strap em again and I don't expect a big difference in the outcome a few points either way. These teams play each other well for some reason. I still say its Estill to lose, they are the favorites in my mind.