Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6th Graders playing in middle school
I would love to see a list of the surrounding schools that allow 6th graders to play in middle school sports.
Johnson Co doesn't.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Johnson Co doesn't.

Johnson county does allow 6th graders to try out for baseball, if they are thirteen years old. Reason being, thirteen year old kids can not play Cal Ripken. They must play Babe Ruth, since most of the kids in that age group are in the middle school, Babe Ruth does not start until middle school season is over. If a thirteen year old was not allowed to try out he would have no where to play. Will Meek, and J.J. Jude (2006) B.J. Hamilton, and Jimmy Preston (2007) made the team as 6th graders.
Yeah, ya got me there. Baseball is the exception, with the whole age deal and such.
You would think I would know these things...:Hammer3:
Imagine that, YOU finding a loop hole.....
I always got sumthin to learn from ya.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Eagle Pride 90` Wrote:Johnson county does allow 6th graders to try out for baseball, if they are thirteen years old. Reason being, thirteen year old kids can not play Cal Ripken. They must play Babe Ruth, since most of the kids in that age group are in the middle school, Babe Ruth does not start until middle school season is over. If a thirteen year old was not allowed to try out he would have no where to play. Will Meek, and J.J. Jude (2006) B.J. Hamilton, and Jimmy Preston (2007) made the team as 6th graders.

Thanks for the info. Do you think it's helping in the development of those younger kids?
Have there been any drawbacks that you have noticed, besides the occasional mad 7th or 8th grader parent?
If it is helping in the devlopment of the younger kids, why not do it in basketball or other sports?
Martin Co. does, because the sixth grade, for some unknown reason, is in the middle school.
Floyd County Does.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Yeah, ya got me there. Baseball is the exception, with the whole age deal and such.
You would think I would know these things...:Hammer3:
Imagine that, YOU finding a loop hole.....
I always got sumthin to learn from ya.

Sit next to him during a basketball game and you will learn how to get a techincal before you can blink your eyes.

:thatsfunn :thatsfunn :thatsfunn
THOMCAT Wrote:Sit next to him during a basketball game and you will learn how to get a techincal before you can blink your eyes.

I'm just glad umpires have thicker skin than basketball ref's.
Ain't that right ring em up.
Eagle Pride 90` Wrote:I'm just glad umpires have thicker skin than basketball ref's.
Ain't that right ring em up.

When it comes to thick skin, ring em up is the man.

:theman:
As long as ya don't call me "Rabbit Ears"............................
:thatsfunn
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:As long as ya don't call me "Rabbit Ears"............................
If you only knew:Clap: .
Ring'Em Up Wrote:As long as ya don't call me "Rabbit Ears"............................

My boy used to call ya "Coffee Can". LOL Cause he said that was how big yer zone was! LOL :lmao:
.......................Aren't we off topic now? I think we need to get back to the original thread.... Smile

:ChairHit:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:.......................Aren't we off topic now? I think we need to get back to the original thread.... Smile

:ChairHit:

I was just following suit and hackin' on ya alitlle. Sorry. LOL I agree though, back to the thread. Paintsville also plays sixth graders on there Middle School team if they are a certain age. They will not let them throw from the mound though.
Shew, at least the heat is off me now.
You guys got much of a schedule together yet for Middle school? I haven't really heard much about the teams around here this year yet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
THOMCAT Wrote:When it comes to thick skin, ring em up is the man.

:theman:
Wait'll he gets a load of me.Big Grin :howdy:
THOMCAT Wrote:Sit next to him during a basketball game and you will learn how to get a techincal before you can blink your eyes.

Long history there of even getting refs ticked off from the stands.:moon:
Bottom line here is that schools like Johnson Central and Paintsville are allowing 6th graders to play Middle school if they are 13, and it seems to happen quite a bit.

That tells me that kids are being held back quite a bit. That is the ONLY possible way for a kid to be a 13 yr old 6th Grader.

Some schools do have 6th grade as part of the Middle School, but only Martin and Boyd County are the only ones I know for sure. Boyd does not allow any 6th graders on the 7th grade team, in any sport except Football, and that is because the JFL is by grade and only goes to 5th Grade.
I don't see a problem with a sixth grader playing as long as he/she is good enough and his/her parents condone it. If the kid is not getting any better playing competition that may be considered lower then I say let them play up if they can't already.
I havn't seen any 6th grade boys "play up" on the Junior High teams at Pikeville. After talking with several people in the administration, some say you can't play in Junior High as a 6th grader and some say you can. I havn't seen anything in writing. I think it was a verbal rule of the former AD, that boys couldn't play up in the Junior High because of the age discrepency between a
6th grader and an 8th grader. I would like to see it left up to the varsity head coach, who usually runs the Junior High program anyway.
TRAIN85 Wrote:I don't see a problem with a sixth grader playing as long as he/she is good enough and his/her parents condone it. If the kid is not getting any better playing competition that may be considered lower then I say let them play up if they can't already.

Napier at Perry Central started varsity as a 6th grader, and has been considered one of the best players in the 14th region for some time now.

Harrison Co. is one of the most elite programs in the state and just a few years ago they had a kid that also started varsity as a 6th grader. I think he was even on one of the state championship teams and if I am correct he may have set the all time record for career hits.

Baseball is a little different than basketball or football. It is the one sport where you can play up and contribute even with a roster of upper classmen.
Butkus Wrote:Bottom line here is that schools like Johnson Central and Paintsville are allowing 6th graders to play Middle school if they are 13, and it seems to happen quite a bit.

That tells me that kids are being held back quite a bit. That is the ONLY possible way for a kid to be a 13 yr old 6th Grader.

Some schools do have 6th grade as part of the Middle School, but only Martin and Boyd County are the only ones I know for sure. Boyd does not allow any 6th graders on the 7th grade team, in any sport except Football, and that is because the JFL is by grade and only goes to 5th Grade.

You tell me where I said that Paintsville's 6th Graders were 13. I said "if they are a certain age". And that age is 12. That is why we do not let them throw from the mound. Also one of the reason why is because we are a very small school. Last year counting 6th thru 8th graders on the Middle School team Paintsville only had 23 kids.
So please read everything and know what it means before you start saying what certain schools do. Thank You.
Butkus Wrote:Bottom line here is that schools like Johnson Central and Paintsville are allowing 6th graders to play Middle school if they are 13, and it seems to happen quite a bit.

Belfry's 6th grade is at the Middle School also.

You whine about hold backs a lot.
OffTheHook Wrote:You tell me where I said that Paintsville's 6th Graders were 13. I said "if they are a certain age". And that age is 12. That is why we do not let them throw from the mound. Also one of the reason why is because we are a very small school. Last year counting 6th thru 8th graders on the Middle School team Paintsville only had 23 kids.
So please read everything and know what it means before you start saying what certain schools do. Thank You.

First of all I did not quote you, so I was not referring to you. I was referring to Eagle Pride's post, when he stated that in JC a Sixth Grader can play up if he is 13 yrs old.

Read all the posts.:Thumbs:
NEXT Wrote:Belfry's 6th grade is at the Middle School also.

You whine about hold backs a lot.

It happens a lot, but I have come to notice that it is no big deal in Eastern Ky, because everyone seems to feel there is nothing wrong with it. It is just a matter of opinion I guess.
Butkus Wrote:First of all I did not quote you, so I was not referring to you. I was referring to Eagle Pride's post, when he stated that in JC a Sixth Grader can play up if he is 13 yrs old.

Read all the posts.:Thumbs:

First: You did not quote anyone. You just started making statements. Second: I DID quote you and you said "Bottom line here is that schools like Johnson Central and Paintsville are allowing 6th graders to play Middle school if they are 13, and it seems to happen quite a bit." Third: I DID read the whole post. :Thumbs: .
Montgomery County lets 6th graders play on the Middle School team. They keep four to five 6th graders each year.
First of all, there is no governing body for middle school baseball. It is up to the individual school to set their age limits. Thats why middle schools can play 60 or more games So if Pikeville doesn't allow 6th graders to play than that is the decision of the school. Second, Johnson County Middle and Paintsville Middle are allowing 6th graders to play and something must be working because they have good high school programs.
a player should always be rewarded for his/her ability reguardless of age or grade. Wesley Christian had a 4th grader playing in the county championship.