Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County Championship - Pikeville 55, Dorton 25
Final.
Nice win Panthers!! Any stats?
First off, I want to say, "Nice win Panthers". They played a great game and deserved the championship. Our boys played hard, but couldn't make enough shots in the first half to keep the game close.

For Dorton:

Logan Lucas had 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 steals.
David Belcher had 6 points and 3 rebounds.
Cody Belter had 5 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 blocks.
Cody Bentley had 3 points and 2 rebounds.
Zack Collins had 1 point.
Chanon Anderson had 6 rebounds (this kid plays his heart out every second).
Johnny Mullins, Justin Dye, and Dawson Kelly had 1 rebound apiece.

The Wildcats shot 10-37 (27%) from the field.
They shot 1-10 (10%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 4-14 (28%) from the free throw line.
They had 23 rebounds, 3 assists, 6 steals, and 14 turnovers.

For Pikeville:

Tackett (#32) had 12 points.
Branham had 11 points.
Maynard had 11 points.
Tackett (#11) had 8 points.
Cantrell had 7 points.
Miller had 2 points.
Taylor had 2 points.
Shull had 2 points.

The Panthers shot 22-57 (38%) from the field.
They shot 4-13 (30%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 7-15 (46%) from the free throw line.
They had 40 rebounds, 9 assists, 11 steals, and 7 turnovers (unofficially)
congrats panthers...what happened cats? anyways...congrats for making it into the championship and good luck at KBA...
Ever since the Virgie dynasty, Pikeville has won the championship. What happened Dorton - Let me guess, the P-Ville Press?
Congrats to Pikeville, I am just wondering but are all of them legit 8th graders or are some of them hold backs? B/c Maynard looks a little old lol. IMO they will win the KBA
warriors_45 Wrote:Ever since the Virgie dynasty, Pikeville has won the championship. What happened Dorton - Let me guess, the P-Ville Press?

Actually Pikeville didn't press. They played man half court. The rebounding and our inability to make shots made for the big margin of defeat. Pikeville is a good basketball team.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Congrats to Pikeville, I am just wondering but are all of them legit 8th graders or are some of them hold backs? B/c Maynard looks a little old lol. IMO they will win the KBA

Actually, Pikeville lost in the first round of the KBA tournament. They won their play-in game last night.

To compete at KBA, you have to have a couple of great individual players (examples: Daniel Harmon, Ashley Hatfield, Taylor Newsome when Virgie won it, Jacob Bryant, Logan Bryant, Elisha when we did well down there). Also, if your team is not dominated by 15 year olds you will have very little chance to do well there unless your players are just exceptional.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Congrats to Pikeville, I am just wondering but are all of them legit 8th graders or are some of them hold backs? B/c Maynard looks a little old lol. IMO they will win the KBA

No middle school team in Pike County boys basketball can compete at a state level anymore because of the limitations on hold backs.

Even if they are hold backs, they are "legit" 8th graders.

Some of the BOE members, and parents of players in Pike Co. can continue to bury their heads in the sand and say hold backs are bad, and we have good basketball in the county, but in REALITY the level of basketball in this county at the middle school level is not good right now and will continue to get worse.
NEXT Wrote:No middle school team in Pike County boys basketball can compete at a state level anymore because of the limitations on hold backs.

Some of the BOE members, and parents of players in Pike Co. can continue to bury their heads in the sand and say hold backs are bad, and we have good basketball in the county, but in REALITY the level of basketball in this county at the middle school level is not good right now and will continue to get worse.

I agree 100% with you Next!
NEXT Wrote:No middle school team in Pike County boys basketball can compete at a state level anymore because of the limitations on hold backs.

I definitely agree...