Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Coach/coaching Staff In Eastern Kentucky
There Have Been A Couple Of Threads Involving Who Is The Best Coach In A Certain Region...someone Asked Me To Start One About Who Would Be The Best Coach/coaching Staff In Eastern Kentucky? There Are Many And This Can Span From The 13th, 14th, 15th And 16th Regions...i Think That Covers Most Of Eastern Kentucky....

I Will Get Things Started By Mentioning Three Schools I Think Have The Best Coaching Staffs And They Just Happen To Be In The Same Distrtict.....paintsville, Johnson Central, Lawrence County...

All Three Programs Have Great Head Coaches Who Are Former College Players And I Think A Couple Have Even Went On To Play A Little In The Minor Leagues...whats Most Impressive About These Three Is Their Assistant Coaches(im Not 100% Sure About Johnson Central)have All Played College Baseball As Well And Bring Great Knowledge And Experience To The Program...i Think This Is A Good Reason Of Why These Three Schools Are Always The Front Runners In Winning Their Region Each Year....

A Couple More Would Be....boyd, Greenup, Letcher County Central, PIKEVILLE, HAZARD, PCC, POWELL, ETC.
I think Paintsville has an awesome coaching staff!!
Letcher Central has a good 1.
MVP2 Wrote:Letcher Central has a good 1.

agree i think they have a very experienced and one of the most passionate coaches ive ever seen...i dont kow a lot about the assistant coaches, thats kinda what i was hopin we could find out from this thread, and be able to learn about the different assistant coaches in the mountains..so if you have any info on theirs that would be great
top 5
1.LCC
2.Paintsville
3.Boyd
4.Lawrence
5.Powell/Leslie
imo
Kyboy13 Wrote:top 5
1.LCC
2.Paintsville
3.Boyd
4.Lawrence
5.Powell/Leslie
imo

nice list but mine would probably look like this..

1. Paintsville
2. Lawrence
3. Boyd
4. LCC
5. Greenup
OMG Wrote:nice list but mine would probably look like this..

1. Paintsville
2. Lawrence
3. Boyd
4. LCC
5. Greenup

Yeah it could go either way..........I'm a little biast though lol
OMG Wrote:agree i think they have a very experienced and one of the most passionate coaches ive ever seen...i dont kow a lot about the assistant coaches, thats kinda what i was hopin we could find out from this thread, and be able to learn about the different assistant coaches in the mountains..so if you have any info on theirs that would be great

Well C.Trent played baseball for ALC and i think he holds a few records there, he's mainly the batting coach. C.Little is mainly the outfield/conditioning coach he also coaches thier JV team (which has only lost one game in KY in two years) he didn't play college ball but had a few scholarships offered. Also they're adding a few more coaches this year which I don't know much about. I think one was the head man at neon for awhile but i'm not sure on that one.
Great youth feeder programs seem to be what makes a high school staff look good or look bad.

Mike Hall is hands down the very best at producing something from nothing. Give Mike Hall the youth programs of a Paintsville, Johnson Central, Pikeville, Lawrence Co. , etc, from which to build upon, and he will win the region 3 out of 5 years.
OMG Wrote:nice list but mine would probably look like this..

1. Paintsville
2. Lawrence
3. Boyd
4. LCC
5. Greenup

Interesting that you would not include the staff of a school that has been to Appleebees 2 out of the last 4 years.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Interesting that you would not include the staff of a school that has been to Appleebees 2 out of the last 4 years.

i agree with you johnson central has a great staff, however, i know shawn hall very well and he does a great job, but i think as an entire staff these five have a better top to bottom group...just my opinion though.
OMG Wrote:i agree with you johnson central has a great staff, however, i know shawn hall very well and he does a great job, but i think as an entire staff these five have a better top to bottom group...just my opinion though.

Then what would you credit 2 trips to Applebees and one final four as from having come from in the last 4 years. Boyd County is the only other school that can make that claim. Last five years has produced 2 regional championships, one regional runner-up, two Section 8 championships, and one final 4 appearance. Are you saying that they were just lucky, had better players, dominate pitching, etc. Curious as to what your thoughts are?

There has to be some reason why they have been the most successful program in eastern Kentucky in the last 5 years.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Then what would you credit 2 trips to Applebees and one final four as from having come from in the last 4 years. Boyd County is the only other school that can make that claim. Last five years has produced 2 regional championships, one regional runner-up, two Section 8 championships, and one final 4 appearance. Are you saying that they were just lucky, had better players, dominate pitching, etc. Curious as to what your thoughts are?

There has to be some reason why they have been the most successful program in eastern Kentucky in the last 5 years.

you know you have great points, but im really just waiting to see what they do this season with a lot less talent...i still think last season without those two pitchers they wouldn't have made it out of the district, but you are right they have had great success in the past five years and they should definetely be in there somewhere....i will admit my list was off the top of my head and thats what i come up with...here new list....

1.paintsville
2.Lawrence
3.Boyd
4.Johnson Central
5.LCC
OMG Wrote:you know you have great points, but im really just waiting to see what they do this season with a lot less talent...i still think last season without those two pitchers they wouldn't have made it out of the district, but you are right they have had great success in the past five years and they should definetely be in there somewhere....i will admit my list was off the top of my head and thats what i come up with...here new list....

1.paintsville
2.Lawrence
3.Boyd
4.Johnson Central
5.LCC
They have had 4 really good pitchers the last 4 years. So , am I assuming correctly that you are giving the pitching staff most of the credit?
OMG Wrote:you know you have great points, but im really just waiting to see what they do this season with a lot less talent...i still think last season without those two pitchers they wouldn't have made it out of the district, but you are right they have had great success in the past five years and they should definetely be in there somewhere....i will admit my list was off the top of my head and thats what i come up with...here new list....

1.paintsville
2.Lawrence
3.Boyd
4.Johnson Central
5.LCC
I'll tell you right up front that you all are giving what's coming up this year, a lot less credit than you should. They will not be a star studded team, but as an overall team they will be better than last year. You may think I am crazy but overall from top to bottom, they could have the best overall pitching staff in the region. Not saying they will have the best pitcher, or even maybe in the top 3,( I kind of think they will though) but they will be solid from top to bottom. They will have 5 pitchers throwing 80 plus with one that could end up being the hardest thrower in the region as a freshman.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:They have had 4 really good pitchers the last 4 years. So , am I assuming correctly that you are giving the pitching staff most of the credit?

yea i guess i am...look im not being derrogatory towards johnson central at all, i know thats what you are trying to bait me into doing...i think it will be a real test for the coachin staff his season at johnson central this year and im anxious to see what they will do with what they have coming back..thats all...
I know Mr. Hall is a very good coach but it would be hard to lose the region with pitchers like Blanton and Fyfe.........Play decent defense and score 1 or 2 runs with either of these to pitchers on the mound and it's almost a guaranteed Win.......I'm sure he had alot to do with there development but I'm like OMG I want to see what he does this season without those two pitchers
........I took your baitBig Grin lol

JMO
OMG Wrote:yea i guess i am...look im not being derrogatory towards johnson central at all, i know thats what you are trying to bait me into doing...i think it will be a real test for the coachin staff his season at johnson central this year and im anxious to see what they will do with what they have coming back..thats all...
Honestly not throwing out any bait at all. I have a lot of my own thoughts and was just wondering what someone else's might be is all. I appreciate your reply's.
same to you^^^^ nice little discusion we got going here!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Honestly not throwing out any bait at all. I have a lot of my own thoughts and was just wondering what someone else's might be is all. I appreciate your reply's.

i just think it will be a true test this season of the coaching staff to see how far they will go, and they have taken a good first step with their schedule..it will certainly help them later on...i think lawrence and JC by far have the toughest schedules in the region, LC may edge them out just a little with theirs but JC's is definetely tough, i just wish Paintsville would follow suite with theirs...i think they would really benefit from a tougher schedule than the one they have now....
For me, I'll take Mike Hall as well, over any single coach in the 13th-16th. Am in no means saying the staff is my favorite, just for the "Head Coach" part of your question, it's wayyy easy for me. Man, it's harder to compare full staffs than what I thought. Seems like most of the schools mentioned have maybe a couple true, good baseball people on them, but not really any schools that have a strong lead over any others from top to bottom. I don't think jus by saying "so and so played here or there,' really can justify that they get the job done on the coaching level. Quick note, if I remember correctly, I believe Tucker Howard was voted 15th Coach of year, and Joey Estep from JC was asst of the year last season. This was based on their peers, I believe. Help me out, Kimball, Guru, somebody.
Good discussion, tho. Nice topic, OMG.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:For me, I'll take Mike Hall as well, over any single coach in the 13th-16th. Am in no means saying the staff is my favorite, just for the "Head Coach" part of your question, it's wayyy easy for me. Man, it's harder to compare full staffs than what I thought. Seems like most of the schools mentioned have maybe a couple true, good baseball people on them, but not really any schools that have a strong lead over any others from top to bottom. I don't think jus by saying "so and so played here or there,' really can justify that they get the job done on the coaching level. Quick note, if I remember correctly, I believe Tucker Howard was voted 15th Coach of year, and Joey Estep from JC was asst of the year last season. This was based on their peers, I believe. Help me out, Kimball, Guru, somebody.

Yeah, you are correct.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:For me, I'll take Mike Hall as well, over any single coach in the 13th-16th. Am in no means saying the staff is my favorite, just for the "Head Coach" part of your question, it's wayyy easy for me. Man, it's harder to compare full staffs than what I thought. Seems like most of the schools mentioned have maybe a couple true, good baseball people on them, but not really any schools that have a strong lead over any others from top to bottom. I don't think jus by saying "so and so played here or there,' really can justify that they get the job done on the coaching level. Quick note, if I remember correctly, I believe Tucker Howard was voted 15th Coach of year, and Joey Estep from JC was asst of the year last season. This was based on their peers, I believe. Help me out, Kimball, Guru, somebody.

YEH THAT WAS CORRECT AND IT WAS VOTED ON BY THE REGION COACHES, i think your head coach nominates you and then the rest vote on it...help me out if im wrong
[quote=Mr.Kimball]Great youth feeder programs seem to be what makes a high school staff look good or look bad.

Mike Hall is hands down the very best at producing something from nothing. Give Mike Hall the youth programs of a Paintsville, Johnson Central, Pikeville, Lawrence Co. , etc, from which to build upon, and he will win the region 3 out of 5 years.[/quote

i agree 100% cpach does a great job teaching his clubs the fundemetals and little things it takes to win
Head Coach---Mike Hall, Sheldon Clark High School. Great teacher of the game, great stratigiest, Smart base coach. Seems to get the kids to believe in him.

Asst. Coach---Bob Lyons, Paintsville High School. The best organizer there is. Dedicated, loves the game, tireless worker. Knows the game!

Asst. Coach---Travis Feltner, Lawrence Co. High School. Energetic, knowledgable, hard working, bursting with head coaching potential IMO.

Give me 21 kids that want to play the game the right way and these guys to show them, and I would show you a great team.
Best overall staff IMO goes to Boyd Co.
Proven track record year in and year out.
The Guru Wrote:Best overall staff IMO goes to Boyd Co.
Proven track record year in and year out.

would you agree too that the assistants at boyd county are what makes boyd county what they are?
OMG Wrote:would you agree too that the assistants at boyd county are what makes boyd county what they are?
They have great assts.
Yeah....I kinda agree more than a little.
The Guru Wrote:They have great assts.
Yeah....I kinda agree more than a little.

i dont mean to take anything away from ben maynard but when jody left, the transition would have been alot more difficult if those assistants would have left, especially their pitching coach....i think they are to give credit for not having a drop off, and this year will be a real test for the coaching staff, due to what they've lost and the rest of the talent in the 16th region...
OMG Wrote:i dont mean to take anything away from ben maynard but when jody left, the transition would have been alot more difficult if those assistants would have left, especially their pitching coach....i think they are to give credit for not having a drop off, and this year will be a real test for the coaching staff, due to what they've lost and the rest of the talent in the 16th region...
Actually when Jody left, they all did in fact leave too. Spade coached them for the next two years. It was after those two years that the former and now current staff began their tenure.