Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will Owsley be this year in Softball....will they be any good with new coach?
I really am lookin for Owsley to not be that good this year....they havent been good since coach MacIntosh quit. They have had three different coaches over the year a three year period. You had the first coach who ran everyone off and the second coach that was alright with the team and now this year. I dont think they will be any count but we will see...They have no one to pitch and I mean no body. Really the only good person that has got so goods would be Mika turner. So lets find out!Smile
Personally, I have to disagree.... They have some good talent out there, and I believe that after they get use to the new coaching staff, then they will begin to progress and be good.... This may not be the best season, but this will deff start us on the ladder...
Softballgirl#25 Wrote:I really am lookin for Owsley to not be that good this year....they havent been good since coach MacIntosh quit. They have had three different coaches over the year a three year period. You had the first coach who ran everyone off and the second coach that was alright with the team and now this year. I dont think they will be any count but we will see...They have no one to pitch and I mean no body. Really the only good person that has got so goods would be Mika turner. So lets find out!Smile

sounds to me like you're one of the jealous girls that prolly got ran off.
Some kids just can't handle the truth.
As far as the pitching goes...
the pitcher they have started pitching...last year.
due to the fact of all different coaches, they haven't been there to start someone off at a ripe age.. you have to start young to be good, you can't made a pitcher in one season.
They're not going to be to good, but all you can do is practice and hope for next year.
They didn't build rome in a day now did they?:mad:
I was not one of the kids that got ran off....but i can tell you one thing I know first hand that there pitcher isnt good.....I really dont care what people think....but all owsley county is worried about is the basketball and there are no support for softball or anyother sport besides basketball. To tell you the truth that both basketball teams are the worst teams in the region. Owsley dont have a chance!!
Softballgirl#25 Wrote:I was not one of the kids that got ran off....but i can tell you one thing I know first hand that there pitcher isnt good.....I really dont care what people think....but all owsley county is worried about is the basketball and there are no support for softball or anyother sport besides basketball. To tell you the truth that both basketball teams are the worst teams in the region. Owsley dont have a chance!!

If you knew anything first hand you would know, its not the freaking pitchers fault that she sucks, its the fact no-one would stay around (or could stay around) long enough to get her ready to be a pitcher.
Its not just the pitchers fault they suck either might i add. Maybe its the fact that most important players on a softball field are the pitcher, shortstop, and catcher... as you said in a previous statement the only good player is mika... therefore do the math.
don't just blam it on the pitcher.
and who the heck said ANYTHING about basketball might i also add, the softball team has got new uniforms last year, and are getting new ones again this year.
Owsley just got a new field and are getting lights, no no, owsley doesn't give a crap about softball, dad dang it , and they dont care about no other sport heck didnt i see the volleyball team with matching shoes, heck how many schools in the 14th have that.
thanks. you don't have to read what i wrote, but others will.
I'm done with ur immature games!!!
b-ballislife Wrote:If you knew anything first hand you would know, its not the freaking pitchers fault that she sucks, its the fact no-one would stay around (or could stay around) long enough to get her ready to be a pitcher.
Its not just the pitchers fault they suck either might i add. Maybe its the fact that most important players on a softball field are the pitcher, shortstop, and catcher... as you said in a previous statement the only good player is mika... therefore do the math.
don't just blam it on the pitcher.
and who the heck said ANYTHING about basketball might i also add, the softball team has got new uniforms last year, and are getting new ones again this year.
Owsley just got a new field and are getting lights, no no, owsley doesn't give a crap about softball, dad dang it , and they dont care about no other sport heck didnt i see the volleyball team with matching shoes, heck how many schools in the 14th have that.
thanks. you don't have to read what i wrote, but others will.
I'm done with ur immature games!!!

I totally agree, and since Owsley doesnt care about any other sports other than Basketball, then how come the volleyball team gets new everything, and all kinds of support considering they have made it to Regionals 2 yrs in a row. I also think that a good pitcher is some1 who can get it across the plate and it falls on the catcher to move and get the ball if its foul or a ball... You make plays just as easy by doing that. The catcher needs to move a lot as well... Its not all the pitchers problem, they have to be able to work together.
softballgirl do you play for owsley?? Just wondered.... If you do with your attitude I would dismiss you from the team. Owsley has had it tough.. First thing Owsley need to do is start with the middle school.. Need someone who knows fastpitch.. not someone who knows baseball or slowpitch softball but fastpitch softball... both coachs for middle school and high school need to be on the same page...They need people to learn the game... Pitching takes alot of work and time with the right mechanics... find pitching instructor or go to a pitching instructor that knows pitching.... and the same goes for other positions... also hitting very important in fastpitch... the right mechanics you have to have... can't swing like a baseball player... and the number 1 thing that will help.... learn the game... and moms and dads I know youmean well but let the girls become tough... stop treating these ladies like babies.. so what if the coach gets on there buts... keeps them after practice... but it takes work.. it takes getting dirty.... it takes sweat...most of all learn the right mechanics.... if you all need help just let me know
I think Owsley will be just fine this season. Softballgirl i think you are just jealous of all the players on the softball team. The team has improved alot over the past couple of years. They have some good young players that will continue to develop and they will be alright. they have the 2 very underrated players in the Combs girl and Turner.
Since when did this forum start talking trash about Owsleys Basketball team. If your gonna do it atleast take it to the right forum.Ok OK.. You dont need to get on this web site and talk about how much you think they suck or how bad you think they'll be, thats not gonna to do anything that just makes you look like a jerk it doesnt do much for peoples confidence either. A new coaching staff every year is not helpful, by the time a team gets use to a coach its usually by the end or close to the end of the season. The Pitcher will and most likely is getting better everyday, seening they just started working with her last year. Having a stable catcher would probably help her even better. one that acually goes after that the ball would be a plus to the team also.So before you get on here and starting talking crap and putting them down. could you please be considerate to the rest of us here on the forum, if you have a problem with that then you probably just need to leave.
Over The Fence Wrote:softballgirl do you play for owsley?? Just wondered.... If you do with your attitude I would dismiss you from the team. Owsley has had it tough.. First thing Owsley need to do is start with the middle school.. Need someone who knows fastpitch.. not someone who knows baseball or slowpitch softball but fastpitch softball... both coachs for middle school and high school need to be on the same page...They need people to learn the game... Pitching takes alot of work and time with the right mechanics... find pitching instructor or go to a pitching instructor that knows pitching.... and the same goes for other positions... also hitting very important in fastpitch... the right mechanics you have to have... can't swing like a baseball player... and the number 1 thing that will help.... learn the game... and moms and dads I know youmean well but let the girls become tough... stop treating these ladies like babies.. so what if the coach gets on there buts... keeps them after practice... but it takes work.. it takes getting dirty.... it takes sweat...most of all learn the right mechanics.... if you all need help just let me know

well said.
I think that Softballgirl needs to lay off the team. I agree that is sounds like you are one of the players that got "run off" as you say but as I recall, as I did play for Owsley, no player was "run off". Everyone who was dedicated and could handle critism from a coach who knew the game stayed all season, its not our fault or the coach's fault you couldn't handle. And one more thing, the pithcing will be just fine, she is working hard every weekend and is jsut fine. All they need is a catcher who knows how to play the position she is given, not blame everyone else for mistakes. The coaching situation is the systems fault for not allowing a coach who cared not only knew the game well and cared so much for his girls, to coach and stay around. I'm confident that the team will bust their butts everyday in practice and will ignore any negative statements from someone who obviously is oblivious to what goes on arounf her. And the last thing I will say is this, if Owsley softball has sucked since McIntosh quit us, why did everyone say that two years ago we had the best defensive team they had seen in awhile?? Answer me that softballgirl.
Softballgirl wasnt run off by anyone. She played several years. I think the pitcher will be ok this year but is very young and needs a lot of practice. I think that the team needs to start developing other pitchers now. The catcher is also young and will also improve this season. I dont recall the JV catcher from last season but they need to work with her as well and get her ready. I'm not sure where the other sports mentioned came into the picture but Owsley has had some coaching problems and are rebuilding right now. All of the teams need to work hard and they will all improve. I agree that sports need to be started in grade school. If Owsley is going to do well they will have to.
I think the Lady Owls Softball Team will be alright with their new coaches this year. The Mason Team along with assistant Mayes have been involved with sports for several years, so it is not like the girls don't know them or their style. They have already began to work on the field and the new lights are ordered. There are plans for hiring a pitching coach to work with the pitchers and also plans to look at beginning an elementary program for both softball and baseball. The new Superintendent is always looking for ways to improve the school system, not only in academics but also in the extracurricular activities including softball. Congrats to Coach Mason and Mason and assistant coach Mayes. Good luck to the Lady Owls Softball Team as you begin your practice and the 2008 Season.
KYGal Wrote:I think the Lady Owls Softball Team will be alright with their new coaches this year. The Mason Team along with assistant Mayes have been involved with sports for several years, so it is not like the girls don't know them or their style. They have already began to work on the field and the new lights are ordered. There are plans for hiring a pitching coach to work with the pitchers and also plans to look at beginning an elementary program for both softball and baseball. The new Superintendent is always looking for ways to improve the school system, not only in academics but also in the extracurricular activities including softball. Congrats to Coach Mason and Mason and assistant coach Mayes. Good luck to the Lady Owls Softball Team as you begin your practice and the 2008 Season.

Help some of us out who are not from Owsley and do not know who the new coaches are. Whoever you are--- good luck to you and congratulations on your new field and your new lights. Its always great to see girls in the 14th region upgraded. Its also great to see people step up and take over a girls program rather than just allowing the system to hire a warm body like some school districts that are close by.
Sad to see some arguing over something like this. These softball girls play their hearts out no matter what school they attend.

McIntosh and Cornett done a good job with this team over the past few years. The Masons have taken over and they should pull this team together, but will take a little time. Mika Turner is the team leader and she showed what she can do last year at the All Star game in Hazard. Good luck to Owsley.
go cubbies Wrote:Sad to see some arguing over something like this. These softball girls play their hearts out no matter what school they attend.

McIntosh and Cornett done a good job with this team over the past few years. The Masons have taken over and they should pull this team together, but will take a little time. Mika Turner is the team leader and she showed what she can do last year at the All Star game in Hazard. Good luck to Owsley.

Amen.
IMO this is what I see going on with the girls team:
1. The coaches don't really instruct the girls, they just let them play in the games and at practice. I have several times at practice girls bat, then go on to the field and sit down for the rest of practice, come on make them get up and practice, if they don't want to be there send their butts home. Whats practice for but to learn to improve.
2. The girls run the team, they tell the coaches what, who, and where to put people. They don't look to see who is better in a position, and place them there to play.
3. I would have started from scratch, everyone would have had to earn a position on the field, they would have to show me how they could play that position. As for pitching I agree combs is young but has improved each game. She has impressed me on how she has improved, she still has a few wild pitches but who does'nt. I would have each girl who wants to learn to pitch try out, not just stick a body into the position for JV, they need to be worked with also. I know of 2 other girls that practice at home ( and they are good) that wants to try to pitch but are not given the chance. One is in the 7th grade and the other I think in the 9th. I saw the 7th at the county park with her parents. she averaged throwing 7 out of 10 strickes. she does'nt have that much speed but it will come with age. I would work with her now for the future. She stated that she has asked to practice pitch but was not allowed by the coaches. i know she had a 55mph throw in the 5th grade( clocked by radar) when she played LL. she learning to throw underhanded now. The speed will come back. Her father takes her to a park in LEX. for coaching.
4.Coaches needs to work with all of the team, all 15 girls not just a select few. teach the mechanic of the game. Some of the younger girls(6th grade) has never played before.
5. Don't just fill the team with bodies, (special girls) put your aces in their places.
6. Coaches get up and coach the girls during the game, talk to them, tell them whats going wrong. They play really well until the third or fourth inning then they sort of lose it due to errors, or they get tired and quit playing, shuffle the team around, rest those who need it, put your younger players in to learn.
Again this is just my opinion, I know in my heart that the girls will improve, but a few things need to be made aware. the coaches may not know whats going on in the team, but looking in from the outside you can see alittle more.
I think the Masons and Mayes will do fine, the whole team is young and been thru alot.:o :o Big Grin Big Grin :o :o Give them a chance to prove it!
lil#33 Wrote:IMO this is what I see going on with the girls team:
1. The coaches don't really instruct the girls, they just let them play in the games and at practice. I have several times at practice girls bat, then go on to the field and sit down for the rest of practice, come on make them get up and practice, if they don't want to be there send their butts home. Whats practice for but to learn to improve.
2. The girls run the team, they tell the coaches what, who, and where to put people. They don't look to see who is better in a position, and place them there to play.
3. I would have started from scratch, everyone would have had to earn a position on the field, they would have to show me how they could play that position. As for pitching I agree combs is young but has improved each game. She has impressed me on how she has improved, she still has a few wild pitches but who does'nt. I would have each girl who wants to learn to pitch try out, not just stick a body into the position for JV, they need to be worked with also. I know of 2 other girls that practice at home ( and they are good) that wants to try to pitch but are not given the chance. One is in the 7th grade and the other I think in the 9th. I saw the 7th at the county park with her parents. she averaged throwing 7 out of 10 strickes. she does'nt have that much speed but it will come with age. I would work with her now for the future. She stated that she has asked to practice pitch but was not allowed by the coaches. i know she had a 55mph throw in the 5th grade( clocked by radar) when she played LL. she learning to throw underhanded now. The speed will come back. Her father takes her to a park in LEX. for coaching.
4.Coaches needs to work with all of the team, all 15 girls not just a select few. teach the mechanic of the game. Some of the younger girls(6th grade) has never played before.
5. Don't just fill the team with bodies, (special girls) put your aces in their places.
6. Coaches get up and coach the girls during the game, talk to them, tell them whats going wrong. They play really well until the third or fourth inning then they sort of lose it due to errors, or they get tired and quit playing, shuffle the team around, rest those who need it, put your younger players in to learn.
Again this is just my opinion, I know in my heart that the girls will improve, but a few things need to be made aware. the coaches may not know whats going on in the team, but looking in from the outside you can see alittle more.
I think the Masons and Mayes will do fine, the whole team is young and been thru alot.:o :o Big Grin Big Grin :o :o Give them a chance to prove it!

I watched Owsley County play Hazard last year in the All A tournament, they were a decent defensive team but had a few offensive problems.( but who didnt agianst Brittany Slone.) I don t know much about the softball program at Owsley, however I am pretty sure that if they had a 7th grader who can throw 55 mph(in the 5th grade) and 70% strikes that they would be one of the top teams in the region and probably the state. I have my doubts on the statistics of this pitcher.
Lucky7 Wrote:I watched Owsley County play Hazard last year in the All A tournament, they were a decent defensive team but had a few offensive problems.( but who didnt agianst Brittany Slone.) I don t know much about the softball program at Owsley, however I am pretty sure that if they had a 7th grader who can throw 55 mph(in the 5th grade) and 70% strikes that they would be one of the top teams in the region and probably the state. I have my doubts on the statistics of this pitcher.

trust me, your by far not the only one who has there doubts...
If you read I stated that when she played Little leugue she pitched at 55 mph. She attends pitching practice at a park in Lexington everyother weekend with her parents to learn to pitch fast pitch. Shes back up to 43 mph. The coaches will not work with her at Owsley so her parents took it upon themselves to have her properly trained because she wants to pitch. Give her a few years and watch out. She's only in the 7th grade and improving all the time.

I have to say great job lady owls on your hard work over the past couple of weeks, lets keep it up.
I joined up with a few people to come and watch the lady owls last night in Estill Co., they didn't pitch their normal pitcher last night, but did pitch there backup. She did fairly well until getting injured, she is fine now, and then they put in this girl that looked like a 7th grader. If that was 43 mph, then I must have been watching a different game, she still has a lot of work before getting more pitching action in a varsity game. Im not putting anyone down, because everyone appeared to play hard, but people needs to check there facts before they brag about players, and put coaches down.
As STATED BEFORE, HER SPEED was when she played youth baseball, overhanded. I feel as if she done very good last night considering she was placed in the game without warm up, no notice because the coaches will not let her pitch at practice, and she was nervous not wanting to make anyone mad. I think only two walks in the game was not to bad being her first time in a game pitching in three years. She has not pitched a ball in over a week.

I personally and some people from Estill thought she done a great job.

I did not put the coaches down I only commented on a few facts that they may have over looked. You see more from the outside looking in than statnding in the middle. I only commented on a few suggestions that may help them improve the team which I and most everyone wants for the team.

I never heard anyone from her team rally behind her, but heard several from Estill get behind her because they knew she was young, encouraging her on.

She will come around and pitch great as she get older with the help of her family and personal coaching in lexington.
She's learning mechanics first before speed. She wants the position down first before she works on increasing the speed of the pitch. In the coaching practice she throws 43 mph, after warm ups.
I made the journey this week to Booneville, to watch Hazard play Owsley County. Owsley County played well, they had a few problems with baserunning and a couple poor decisions by some players but all in all, I felt that they were a competitive team. The girl that pitched for Owsley was Combs and I think she was a junior or senior, she was a decent pitcher, she had good control except when she tried to put to much speed behind it. I was very impressed with the shortstop for Owsley County, she had a home run and a couple more strong hits. I feel like my lady Bulldogs were lucky to come out of Booneville with a win.

As for being on the outside looking in comment, and the stats on this young pitcher mentioned earlier, I am assuming that Lil 33 is the parent of this child. First of all I am glad that you care about your child and their athletic ability and want to see them succeed. however you should lay off of the coaching staff. I am sure if they thought that she was a pitcher she would get to play as a pitcher. Coaches get paid to make these decisions they are the professionals therefore parents should let them do their jobs.

Good Luck to the Lady Owls the rest of this season.

Congrats to Coach Fannin and the Lady Bulldogs, Keep improving girls the future looks bright.