Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most underated players in the 16th
??
Logan Helms
OMG Wrote:Logan Helms

I agree.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I agree.

He just seemed to take a back seat to some people who really didn't contribute as much last year. I think he will have a huge year this season and is by far Greenup's best hitter this year. Is he a senior?
OMG Wrote:He just seemed to take a back seat to some people who really didn't contribute as much last year. I think he will have a huge year this season and is by far Greenup's best hitter this year. Is he a senior?

Your thinking of Billy Logan, he is Greenup's catcher. Helms plays at Boyd County.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Your thinking of Billy Logan, he is Greenup's catcher. Helms plays at Boyd County.

Good call Kimball that's exactly who I was talking about. Helms' is already an unbelievable player and in the top 50 All-State prospects.
OMG Wrote:He just seemed to take a back seat to some people who really didn't contribute as much last year. I think he will have a huge year this season and is by far Greenup's best hitter this year. Is he a senior?

Billy Logan is just a junior, and he will have a big year at the plate for Greenup. But I believe he is the best catcher in the 16th region this year. Look for big things out of him in the next couple of years. Also I believe that Carver from Raceland is an excellent hitter and is one of the most overlooked players in the 16th.
rgdad Wrote:Billy Logan is just a junior, and he will have a big year at the plate for Greenup. But I believe he is the best catcher in the 16th region this year. Look for big things out of him in the next couple of years. Also I believe that Carver from Raceland is an excellent hitter and is one of the most overlooked players in the 16th.

Where does Carver play(position)? What did he hit last season?
Justin Underwood from Fleming County.....he is a great defensive player
Carver- Raceland
OMG Wrote:Where does Carver play(position)? What did he hit last season?

Sorry I have been on vacation, so I could not reply. Carver I believe played second base. He hit 5th or 3rd, if I remember right. He is a very good hitter and just a good all around player.
Just read the paper, Carver played 3rd base last night and went 2 for 3 against Boyd co.
Zach Reed at Greenup, Bolander at Lewis, Helms at Boyd, I know more but can not think of the names.
Shaw (sr.) from Lewis is the most underrated player in the region. He is an excellent pitcher. He throws more than 10 different pitches with great control and he has increased his velocity tremendously from last year. He is also great with the stick. He hit .428 in varsity as a freshman with over 80 at bats. He has hit over .300 every year. He is great with the glove as well. He plays every position on the infield and can also play outfield. Downing (jr.) from Lewis is also underrated as catcher. IMO he is the best defensive catcher in the region.
lewisfan21 Wrote:Shaw (sr.) from Lewis is the most underrated player in the region. He is an excellent pitcher. He throws more than 10 different pitches with great control and he has increased his velocity tremendously from last year. He is also great with the stick. He hit .428 in varsity as a freshman with over 80 at bats. He has hit over .300 every year. He is great with the glove as well. He plays every position on the infield and can also play outfield. Downing (jr.) from Lewis is also underrated as catcher. IMO he is the best defensive catcher in the region.

I didn't known there were 10 different pitches to throw. Wow!!!
lewisfan21 Wrote:Shaw (sr.) from Lewis is the most underrated player in the region. He is an excellent pitcher. He throws more than 10 different pitches with great control and he has increased his velocity tremendously from last year. He is also great with the stick. He hit .428 in varsity as a freshman with over 80 at bats. He has hit over .300 every year. He is great with the glove as well. He plays every position on the infield and can also play outfield. Downing (jr.) from Lewis is also underrated as catcher. IMO he is the best defensive catcher in the region.

10 pitches?
I can not even think of 10 and there is no way all 10 are a solid pitch that he can control, I am not bashing the kid because I have never seen him play, but 10 pitches?
fastball
curveball
change
2 seam
slider
sinker
knuckleball
gyro(if you are a believer)
Bosox Fan Wrote:10 pitches?
I can not even think of 10 and there is no way all 10 are a solid pitch that he can control, I am not bashing the kid because I have never seen him play, but 10 pitches?
fastball
curveball
change
2 seam
slider
sinker
knuckleball

How about a knucklecurve. I once knew someone who threw it.
Bosox Fan Wrote:10 pitches?
fastball
curveball
change
2 seam
slider
sinker
knuckleball

There are different variations of a pitch, but no way is there 10 "different" pitches. For example, sidearm, underneath, over the top, etc. This may be what he is talking about, but I am not sure. If he throws that many pitches consistently he should be in the show.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:There are different variations of a pitch, but no way is there 10 "different" pitches. For example, sidearm, underneath, over the top, etc. This may be what he is talking about, but I am not sure. If he throws that many pitches consistently he should be in the show.

Here are the pitches he thows. Fastball, change, knuckleball, knucklecurve, splitter, slider, sinker, screwball, gyro, fork, cutter, slurve, and palmball. He also has many different variations of the fastball and change. He can also drop down to sidearm at times.
lewisfan21 Wrote:Here are the pitches he thows. Fastball, change, knuckleball, knucklecurve, splitter, slider, sinker, screwball, gyro, fork, cutter, slurve, and palmball. He also has many different variations of the fastball and change. He can also drop down to sidearm at times.

ok well the gyro has been tested and it is impossible according to scientists, the fork ball and splitter are the same thing, a palm ball is a change-up, and this kid is able to throw all these but not a curve ball?

I do not mean to bash on you, I do not know the kid he may be a stud, but theres no way that all "10" of these pitches are effective or he would be a first round draft pick.
lewisfan21 Wrote:Here are the pitches he thows. Fastball, change, knuckleball, knucklecurve, splitter, slider, sinker, screwball, gyro, fork, cutter, slurve, and palmball. He also has many different variations of the fastball and change. He can also drop down to sidearm at times.

"BoSox Fan a knucklecurve is a curve ball. However, that is one of the only pitches I believe he can throw. Splitter, Fork are the same. Slurve is a term used for somebody who thinks they throw a slider, but their coach thinks it's a curve. It is the same as a slider, or a curve. It is impossible for a high school age kid to throw a successful splitter or a screwball because their hands are simply not developed enough or their mobility to have this pitch be effective. Slider is possible yet unlikely. Even a changeup, which a palm ball is the exact same thing. It is hard to develop a good changeup unless you have been to countless workouts and been taught by someon who has thrown all these pitches, and the only place you will find that is the major leagues. Nobody throw the Gyro, you just heard that up top in a post and decided to say it. Cutter, let's leave this one to Rivera, we all know there is not a high school kid throwing this pitch. So basically after you sift through all the stuff that is physical not going to happen, and other stuff that he would have to be in the major leagues to learn how to throw effectively, you basically come down with a fastball, slider/curveball, possibly a changeup. So 10 went to 3 real quick. If you still insist on this I would love to know where he learned how to throw all these pitches, and why doesn't he have 100 scouts at every game. There is nobody in the pros that can throw this many pitches, do you even realize this? This is the type of statement that gets made when you have two kids in the backyard and one is down catching for the other one, and the decide they know how to throw all these pitches, so by the end of the day the rumor start that theres this kid that can throw 10 different pitches and he is going to play for the high school next year, Were gonna be awesome! Well let's just step back and have a little bit of a reality check here, and decide that this is simply not true, and there is nothing that will be able to convince me of that.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:"BoSox Fan a knucklecurve is a curve ball. However, that is one of the only pitches I believe he can throw. Splitter, Fork are the same. Slurve is a term used for somebody who thinks they throw a slider, but their coach thinks it's a curve. It is the same as a slider, or a curve. It is impossible for a high school age kid to throw a successful splitter or a screwball because their hands are simply not developed enough or their mobility to have this pitch be effective. Slider is possible yet unlikely. Even a changeup, which a palm ball is the exact same thing. It is hard to develop a good changeup unless you have been to countless workouts and been taught by someon who has thrown all these pitches, and the only place you will find that is the major leagues. Nobody throw the Gyro, you just heard that up top in a post and decided to say it. Cutter, let's leave this one to Rivera, we all know there is not a high school kid throwing this pitch. So basically after you sift through all the stuff that is physical not going to happen, and other stuff that he would have to be in the major leagues to learn how to throw effectively, you basically come down with a fastball, slider/curveball, possibly a changeup. So 10 went to 3 real quick. If you still insist on this I would love to know where he learned how to throw all these pitches, and why doesn't he have 100 scouts at every game. There is nobody in the pros that can throw this many pitches, do you even realize this? This is the type of statement that gets made when you have two kids in the backyard and one is down catching for the other one, and the decide they know how to throw all these pitches, so by the end of the day the rumor start that theres this kid that can throw 10 different pitches and he is going to play for the high school next year, Were gonna be awesome! Well let's just step back and have a little bit of a reality check here, and decide that this is simply not true, and there is nothing that will be able to convince me of that.

A fork and a splitter are 2 different pitches. So are a change and a palmball. I've seen Shaw pitch and I know he throws a knuckle, slider, knucklecurve, screwball, fastball, change, splitter, and fork. A slurve is a mix between a slider and a curve. A cutter is thrown by putting more pressure on of the fingers used to throw the fastball. I've heard he can throw the gyro but i haven't seen it. He uses all of these pitches in a game.
lewisfan21 Wrote:A fork and a splitter are 2 different pitches. So are a change and a palmball. I've seen Shaw pitch and I know he throws a knuckle, slider, knucklecurve, screwball, fastball, change, splitter, and fork. A slurve is a mix between a slider and a curve. A cutter is thrown by putting more pressure on of the fingers used to throw the fastball. I've heard he can throw the gyro but i haven't seen it. He uses all of these pitches in a game.

I will agree a fork and a splitter are the same things. Not a palm ball and a changeup, same thing there. Regardless he can't throw them effectively, theres no way. Get in touch with reality, this is not even close to being true. I can't wait to see this kid pitch so I can see what a crazy accusation this is.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I will agree a fork and a splitter are the same things. Not a palm ball and a changeup, same thing there. Regardless he can't throw them effectively, theres no way. Get in touch with reality, this is not even close to being true. I can't wait to see this kid pitch so I can see what a crazy accusation this is.

haha
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I will agree a fork and a splitter are the same things. Not a palm ball and a changeup, same thing there. Regardless he can't throw them effectively, theres no way. Get in touch with reality, this is not even close to being true. I can't wait to see this kid pitch so I can see what a crazy accusation this is.

I don't know why you think high schoolers can't throw a splitter or a screwball. I've known other high school pitchers who could throw both. Shaw can definitely pitch more than three pitches. He probably has been working on some of these pitches since little league. I know that he started throwing the knuckle and knucklecurve in little league. As for the control, I have rarely seen him walk anybody in the games I've seen him play. Of course he isn't going to be able to throw these pitches as well as major leaguers but he can still use them well enough to get high school batters out.
sumj45 Wrote:haha

You can laugh now but don't you remember when Shaw shut out Fleming last year.
lewisfan21 Wrote:I don't know why you think high schoolers can't throw a splitter or a screwball. I've known other high school pitchers who could throw both. Shaw can definitely pitch more than three pitches. He probably has been working on some of these pitches since little league. I know that he started throwing the knuckle and knucklecurve in little league. As for the control, I have rarely seen him walk anybody in the games I've seen him play. Of course he isn't going to be able to throw these pitches as well as major leaguers but he can still use them well enough to get high school batters out.

No he can't! I would love to spend a day in this fantasy world that you live in. Do you even know what a screwball does? The main reason I don't believe this is because I honestly don't believe that the pitching coach at Lewis county knows how to throw these pitches. I know him well, and as a matter of fact I know he doesn't know how to throw some of these pitches. I don't guess I would call him a pitching coach, he's a coach, but he works a lot with the pitchers. How did he develop these pitches then? Your trying to tell me that this kid started throwing these pitches in little league? That's not true. Nobody does that. I remember little league and I don't remember anybody striking me out on a screwball. You barely even know how to throw a curveball at that age. After little league you develop a curve, and then move onto a changeup. It takes the majority of high school pitchers 2 to 3 years to even get a changeup to do what they want, and you are trying to tell me that this kid has 10 pitches like that. I will never believe that. For that matter, let's say for hypothetical reasons that he could throw that many pitches, don't you think that just maybe somebody besides you would have heard of him? I would think somebody with ten pitches would be known state, and nationwide.

I just really think your mistaken on this, and he really just throws a couple of pitches from different angles, and that's it. I bet he only has a fastball and a curveball and he throws both of them from different release points. Possibly ten different release points.hahaCool
lewisfan21 Wrote:You can laugh now but don't you remember when Shaw shut out Fleming last year.

Yea and don't you remember when fleming beat Lewis in 2008? You also beat East Carter one game last year and they beat you this year. So what's your point? Of course you also got mercied by EC late in the year last year.
lewisfan21 Wrote:You can laugh now but don't you remember when Shaw shut out Fleming last year.

don't live in the past..Fleming won in 2008. Fleming plays Lewis again this year, not sure when, but they will win that one too. If Shaw brings his so called screwball and his other 37 pitches he throws they will knock him off the mound
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:No he can't! I would love to spend a day in this fantasy world that you live in. Do you even know what a screwball does? The main reason I don't believe this is because I honestly don't believe that the pitching coach at Lewis county knows how to throw these pitches. I know him well, and as a matter of fact I know he doesn't know how to throw some of these pitches. I don't guess I would call him a pitching coach, he's a coach, but he works a lot with the pitchers. How did he develop these pitches then? Your trying to tell me that this kid started throwing these pitches in little league? That's not true. Nobody does that. I remember little league and I don't remember anybody striking me out on a screwball. You barely even know how to throw a curveball at that age. After little league you develop a curve, and then move onto a changeup. It takes the majority of high school pitchers 2 to 3 years to even get a changeup to do what they want, and you are trying to tell me that this kid has 10 pitches like that. I will never believe that. For that matter, let's say for hypothetical reasons that he could throw that many pitches, don't you think that just maybe somebody besides you would have heard of him? I would think somebody with ten pitches would be known state, and nationwide.

I just really think your mistaken on this, and he really just throws a couple of pitches from different angles, and that's it. I bet he only has a fastball and a curveball and he throws both of them from different release points. Possibly ten different release points.hahaCool

So you have never seen a high school pitcher throw a knuckleball, a slider, or even a screwball. A screwball is thrown the same as the curve except you snap your wrist the opposite way. I don't know why you think the fork and split are the same. A fork is thrown different than a split. And tell Matsuzaka that the gyro isn't really a pitch.