•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville 79 Shelby Valley 70 -- 2 OT
OffTheHook Wrote:Awesome game to watch. I kept telling the guys beside me, when we had that big lead, that it wasn't safe. I knew that SV wouldn't give up. The venue was awesome and the kids played their hearts out. You could tell in the second OT that both teams were tired. They were all loosing their footing and stumbling all over the court. They were flat worn out. Hats off to every player tonight for giving us ONE H*LL OF A SHOW! :notworthy
Got that right, 'Hook. I dont think Ive ever witnessed a game that had as many towell breaks to clean up sweat off the floor, as tonite's. Like I said in another post, just a big "Thanks" to both teams. Sumthin that may be at the top of the new list in the "15th region's greatest game" thread. Congrats especially to the Tigers for dealing with the comeback, and managing a way to get it done in the end.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You know... I was really touched to see Magoffin's Head Basketball Coach, Neil West, there to hug and congratulate the Tigers as they came off the floor tonight! That's the type of support you can really appreciate and it always comes back!
fusion Wrote:So your saying this game wasn't close?
:confused:
[COLOR="Blue"]
9 points is 9 points any way you look at it. IMO 9-10 points is a blowout. I agree the game was close but Paintsville slowly pulled away.[/COLOR]
Lisa Douglas Wrote:You know... I was really touched to see Magoffin's Head Basketball Coach, Neil West, there to hugh and congratulate the Tigers as they came off the floor tonight! That's the type of support you can really appreciate and it always comes back!
Yes I saw him there too.. We really appreciate the suppport.
PHS Watergirl Wrote:Well I just have to say this about that. First of all...WAY TO GO TIGERS. I never doubted you once. Everyone of those boys make me so very poud!!! Lots of Bad calls but yes they were not one sided. Now keep your heads on straight and lets get to the big city of Lexvegas!!!!!

On another note... I really can't believe the way Central's coaches were cheering for Valley.....OH well let's be honest... I can believe it!!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!:Wave:
Would you have actually cheered for them????
Lisa Douglas Wrote:Careful... some of us know you too well...Wink

:thatsfunn Thanks for that great memorey!! LMAOSmile
congrats Paintsville! lol
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Got that right, 'Hook. I dont think Ive ever witnessed a game that had as many towell breaks to clean up sweat off the floor, as tonite's. Like I said in another post, just a big "Thanks" to both teams. Sumthin that may be at the top of the new list in the "15th region's greatest game" thread. Congrats especially to the Tigers for dealing with the comeback, and managing a way to get it done in the end.

Well said!:thumpsup:
Could this thread be setting a record for blowing up the most posts in, like a 3 hr timespan? Like 153 and counting, already. The game they give us tonite, it deserves it, tho.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This has to be a record. Post isn't even 3 hrs old and already has over 150 post!!!
Hey Ringem, we were thinking the same thing! lol
villefan Wrote:
9 points is 9 points any way you look at it. IMO 9-10 points is a blowout. I agree the game was close but Paintsville slowly pulled away.

Sorry, IMO, this game cant be seen as a blowout.

Im not saying Paintsville wasn't the better team tonight, as you meant with your original post. I know they were. I just wouldn't call this a blowout.

But I respect your opinion.
I dont see how anyone can watch tonights game and honestly say that either team is better than the other. 10 game series may end up 5-5.
5timechamp Wrote:I dont see how anyone can watch tonights game and honestly say that either team is better than the other. 10 game series may end up 5-5.

Agree 105%
OMG, I'm not trying to destroy BMR, but that is waht he said, because I was sitting close to the guy he yelled at, but to me its's no big deal.
fusion Wrote:Sorry, IMO, this game cant be seen as a blowout.

Im not saying Paintsville wasn't the better team tonight, as you meant with your original post. I know they were. I just wouldn't call this a blowout.

But I respect your opinion.

I'm sorry, I wasn't referring that to this game at all. This game was much closer than the score indicated. Both teams sure went after it tonight.
How does Coach Booher ask his team to fight, claw and play as hard as they could and then just when it seems they have the upper hand say STOP. Lets dribble a while and lose all of our momentum and lets definitely not exploit their foul trouble and short bench. Horrible coaching. It is a coaches job to put his players in position to succeed and I dont think he did that tonight. Lets be honest he fell into a program Rowe had already built and a ton of talent coming in. He obviously does some things well but when it comes to X's and O's during a game he obviously struggles. Please I am not talking about him as a person so dont get excited. Point blank he struggled tonight.
5timechamp Wrote:How does Coach Booher ask his team to fight, claw and play as hard as they could and then just when it seems they have the upper hand say STOP. Lets dribble a while and lose all of our momentum and lets definitely not exploit their foul trouble and short bench. Horrible coaching. It is a coaches job to put his players in position to succeed and I dont think he did that tonight. Lets be honest he fell into a program Rowe had already built and a ton of talent coming in. He obviously does some things well but when it comes to X's and O's during a game he obviously struggles. Please I am not talking about him as a person so dont get excited. Point blank he struggled tonight.

Excellent post. You play to win the game, but in this case Booher was playing not to lose (i.e. giving Paintsville a chance at the last shot) and it caused them to get beat in the long run.
Sounds like a great game. Congrats Paintsville and congrats SV on a very good season.
Lisa Douglas Wrote:You know... I was really touched to see Magoffin's Head Basketball Coach, Neil West, there to hug and congratulate the Tigers as they came off the floor tonight! That's the type of support you can really appreciate and it always comes back!

I agree I wish that's how every team was when a mountain team succeeds. Unfortanately we live in a world where that can't happen. We live in a world where parents relive glory days through their kids and little rivalries get turned into hatred between their own community. JC and Paintsville should be very proud of each other for representing their community the way the have this year. Johnson County takes it's sports very seriously and this year it all payed off and both teams can consider themselves successful regardless of the outcome of the finals. I hope everyone could get behind whichever team wins and support them in Lexington. If the mountain people don't take care of the mountain people, then nobody will.
5timechamp Wrote:How does Coach Booher ask his team to fight, claw and play as hard as they could and then just when it seems they have the upper hand say STOP. Lets dribble a while and lose all of our momentum and lets definitely not exploit their foul trouble and short bench. Horrible coaching. It is a coaches job to put his players in position to succeed and I dont think he did that tonight. Lets be honest he fell into a program Rowe had already built and a ton of talent coming in. He obviously does some things well but when it comes to X's and O's during a game he obviously struggles. Please I am not talking about him as a person so dont get excited. Point blank he struggled tonight.

This is a ridiculous statement! He has been to the regional finals every year as a coach winning 2 of them except for this year. Ask any other coach how hard it is to follow a good coach and keep winning. If Valley made their free throws they never would have been in that situation to begin with. Also, who would they attack with. IMO, there three best offensive players are Elisha, Ashley, and Jacob. Two of them were gone, and everytime Elisha drove to the basket they cut him off and he had to dish it off. The kids didn't hit the shots down the stretch. Plain and simple!
Definitely one of the best high school games I have ever watched. This match up certainly lived up to all of the hype and was, without question, the "game of the year" barring an upset in tonight’s match up of the cross town rivalries in the 57th.

I must commend both teams on their performances! Needless to say each individual who played last night left it all on the floor! Shelby Valley has nothing to be ashamed of and should keep their heads high! They fought back from a 20 point deficit and played not one but two overtimes before taking the fall! Paintsville should be thankful for Shane Grimm, who played a whale of a game and carried the team the entire night. Others contributed to the "W," but Grimm had the most impact and had not only an excellent offensive game, but a super all around showing! Although Slone and Vanhoose are thought of as the biggest contributors on this team, I must say that Grimm is the link that makes or breaks this ball club! If he's not contributing, the Tigers are an entirely different team! So props to Shane Grimm!

In my opinion, the turning point of this contest came in the second overtime when Bundy got away with a walk that anyone could have seen from a mile away! This obvious "miss" by the officials resulted in a bucket and the lead for Paintsville. That was the fuel Paintsville needed to gain the momentum to sail in front of Valley with no looking back! The Tigers then connected on 5 of 6 from the charity stripe along with another big basket for Grimm to earn a birth in the regional finals.

Should be another great game tonight as JC looks to knock off the Tigers! Can't wait to watch!
Alrighty......I have slept on it, and now have some thoughts.
Both teams came out wound up tighter than a "banjer" strang! P aintsville just loosened up quicker and got a big lead. They didn't blow a 20 point lead, Valley just played as hard as they could to get back into the game, and that is what everyone knew would happen.
Bad calls all night both ways.
Grimmie was the MAN! Everyone else played great for both teams.
I have no idea why Booher went into a stall, and every SV fan will blame him for eternity, and he will take it, and SV will still be a 15th contender always.
But, Paintsville fans were critisizing BMR for letting Valley just dribble time away when the Tigers were down and tied! I agreed with his decision on this and was asked you agree? I said yes, and with the foul situations BMR knew he had only a defensive stop or 2 left befor he would have another key player foul out, so shorten the game! I actually thought it was a great coaching decision.
The teams were as classy as they come! Fans...(self included) not so classy, but understandibly so.

These 2 teams deserve nothing but praise on here from everyone! No excuses needed. Let's just leave it at that, and then everyone can just enjoy the fact that they wittnessed a great event and all should be proud!
I just hope that the Tigers still have some left for tonight.
brainbuster Wrote:Definitely one of the best high school games I have ever watched. This match up certainly lived up to all of the hype and was, without question, the "game of the year" barring an upset in tonight’s match up of the cross town rivalries in the 57th.

I must commend both teams on their performances! Needless to say each individual who played last night left it all on the floor! Shelby Valley has nothing to be ashamed of and should keep their heads high! They fought back from a 20 point deficit and played not one but two overtimes before taking the fall! Paintsville should be thankful for Shane Grimm, who played a whale of a game and carried the team the entire night. Others contributed to the "W," but Grimm had the most impact and had not only an excellent offensive game, but a super all around showing! Although Slone and Vanhoose are thought of as the biggest contributors on this team, I must say that Grimm is the link that makes or breaks this ball club! If he's not contributing, the Tigers are an entirely different team! So props to Shane Grimm!

In my opinion, the turning point of this contest came in the second overtime when Bundy got away with a walk that anyone could have seen from a mile away! This obvious "miss" by the officials resulted in a bucket and the lead for Paintsville. That was the fuel Paintsville needed to gain the momentum to sail in front of Valley with no looking back! The Tigers then connected on 5 of 6 from the charity stripe along with another big basket for Grimm to earn a birth in the regional finals.

Should be another great game tonight as JC looks to knock off the Tigers! Can't wait to watch!
I agree, he did absolutely walk! But I made the comment last night as I clearly saw on the jumpstop, that he was hammered across the arm as he was going back p which caused the travel, so if you don't call the foul, you shouldn't call the walk(actually, you shouldn't even be a ref). But Bundy might have had the 2 biggest rebounds in the game during the final moments of the game! They were huge!
OMG Wrote:I agree I wish that's how every team was when a mountain team succeeds. Unfortanately we live in a world where that can't happen. We live in a world where parents relive glory days through their kids and little rivalries get turned into hatred between their own community. JC and Paintsville should be very proud of each other for representing their community the way the have this year. Johnson County takes it's sports very seriously and this year it all payed off and both teams can consider themselves successful regardless of the outcome of the finals. I hope everyone could get behind whichever team wins and support them in Lexington. If the mountain people don't take care of the mountain people, then nobody will.

:Thumbs:

OKAY you hit the head on that one!! Good post!! i totally agree...parents should just let the kids play and stay out of the coaching and fan sections!!!! The kids can't enjoy anything anymore because of the parents getting involved!!! Paintsville and JC both schools have TOO Much pride to support each other...But in 96 when Paintsville was at State there was an awful lot of JC people that came and stood to cheer the Tigers on!!! Personally I think the rivalry is childish and stupid!!! I am a TRUE BLUE FAN 100% ...but if my team has been beat out ..than I am cheering for JC..don't know about wearing the colors..but I will definately support them!! The only time I start on JC is when the fans/parents start taking it out on the players on the court...that just boils my blood pressure!!

But I think tonight there's no game to it....Paintsville all the way !!!
SecretAgent Wrote::Thumbs:

OKAY you hit the head on that one!! Good post!! i totally agree...parents should just let the kids play and stay out of the coaching and fan sections!!!! The kids can't enjoy anything anymore because of the parents getting involved!!! Paintsville and JC both schools have TOO Much pride to support each other...But in 96 when Paintsville was at State there was an awful lot of JC people that came and stood to cheer the Tigers on!!! Personally I think the rivalry is childish and stupid!!! I am a TRUE BLUE FAN 100% ...but if my team has been beat out ..than I am cheering for JC..don't know about wearing the colors..but I will definately support them!! The only time I start on JC is when the fans/parents start taking it out on the players on the court...that just boils my blood pressure!!

But I think tonight there's no game to it....Paintsville all the way !!!

I hope your right! And regardless of what people say I really think they can beat J-town as well. Unfortunatley, I was living in tennessee during the 96 season and I only got to come in for the championship game against Ashland I think? I remember my dad saying how JC really came to bat for the Tigers during that whole tournament though. I hope they will do the same this year.
Best game I've been to all year.
PHS Watergirl Wrote:Well I just have to say this about that. First of all...WAY TO GO TIGERS. I never doubted you once. Everyone of those boys make me so very poud!!! Lots of Bad calls but yes they were not one sided. Now keep your heads on straight and lets get to the big city of Lexvegas!!!!!

On another note... I really can't believe the way Central's coaches were cheering for Valley.....OH well let's be honest... I can believe it!!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!:Wave:

Let me ask you if you were rooting for Johnson Central in their game or for East Ridge?
EagleMom Wrote:Let me ask you if you were rooting for Johnson Central in their game or for East Ridge?

why wouldn't JC coaches cheer for SV...I mean Paintsville has demolished them this year...I wouldn't wanna play them either!!! Lets be serious to...JC just doesn't wanna lose the Regional Tournament to its rival Paintsville...they would rather lose by 100 to SV!!!!
But ya know...they has coaches made that decision so I guess it just shows how cowardly they are...instead of eagles...they now need to be called Chickens....except in football of course!!:lmao:
SecretAgent Wrote:why wouldn't JC coaches cheer for SV...I mean Paintsville has demolished them this year...I wouldn't wanna play them either!!! Lets be serious to...JC just doesn't wanna lose the Regional Tournament to its rival Paintsville...they would rather lose by 100 to SV!!!!
But ya know...they has coaches made that decision so I guess it just shows how cowardly they are...instead of eagles...they now need to be called Chickens....except in football of course!!:lmao:

Oh wow, now that was a real mature response. Thanks alot.
HazzBeen Wrote:This is a ridiculous statement! He has been to the regional finals every year as a coach winning 2 of them except for this year. Ask any other coach how hard it is to follow a good coach and keep winning. If Valley made their free throws they never would have been in that situation to begin with. Also, who would they attack with. IMO, there three best offensive players are Elisha, Ashley, and Jacob. Two of them were gone, and everytime Elisha drove to the basket they cut him off and he had to dish it off. The kids didn't hit the shots down the stretch. Plain and simple!

I expected a response like this so lets go. First off Elisha could get that mid range jumper anytime he wanted it. There were at least 3 or 4 times in the overtimes one time in particular Logan could have challenged Slone for his 5th foul that Valley had the ball in the paint and passed it out because the game plan was to hold the ball. Because of holding the ball he put Jonah, Tyler, and Kirby in situations that they just were not ready for and it is not the fault of the kids their coach set them up for failure. And by the way HAZZBEEN if you go back and read my first post I said the deciding factor was Valley's free throw shooting. Goodness knows if they would have made a few they could have bailed their coach out of another one. Again Booher seems to be a good guy. He obviously can coach in practice and run a program but he flat out struggled last night. Valley is a high gear team they are not built for that their best offense is their defense. At the very least if you do want to dribble the clock out then tell Justice to stand and dribble and do not give it up until HE shoots the last shot. When you have a team that literally can only play 6 guys 4 of them have four fouls and you dont attack? How can you defend that decision?
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next