•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville 79 Shelby Valley 70 -- 2 OT
EagleMom Wrote:Let me ask you if you were rooting for Johnson Central in their game or for East Ridge?
I did not see any Tiger fans cheering for ER last night, but I know for a fact that several were inside.
It is no biggie, just adds to the rivalry!
oh ..please they have called us kitty cats, Tigger, and other crazy stuff for YEARS if not decades!!
Its just part of it!!! have a sense of humor!!! Thats where double standards come into play....
I hear this from every JC person I talk to...
Paintsville kids at games are so rude and make awful remarks...Okay and JC students and fans don't ....??????
paintsville parents think that they are always the best...and JC doesn't

For years its been well Paintsville has everything...well hello complete re-construction of sports facilities...we don't even have a softball field????

I mean everybody has their own opinions and should be able to voice it with a light hearted manner....but sometimes you all take this stuff WAY TO SERIOUS

:****happe
5timechamp Wrote:I expected a response like this so lets go. First off Elisha could get that mid range jumper anytime he wanted it. There were at least 3 or 4 times in the overtimes one time in particular Logan could have challenged Slone for his 5th foul that Valley had the ball in the paint and passed it out because the game plan was to hold the ball. Because of holding the ball he put Jonah, Tyler, and Kirby in situations that they just were not ready for and it is not the fault of the kids their coach set them up for failure. And by the way HAZZBEEN if you go back and read my first post I said the deciding factor was Valley's free throw shooting. Goodness knows if they would have made a few they could have bailed their coach out of another one. Again Booher seems to be a good guy. He obviously can coach in practice and run a program but he flat out struggled last night. Valley is a high gear team they are not built for that their best offense is their defense. At the very least if you do want to dribble the clock out then tell Justice to stand and dribble and do not give it up until HE shoots the last shot. When you have a team that literally can only play 6 guys 4 of them have four fouls and you dont attack? How can you defend that decision?
Great point, I have no answer and am glad I don't!
SecretAgent Wrote:oh ..please they have called us kitty cats, Tigger, and other crazy stuff for YEARS if not decades!!
Its just part of it!!! have a sense of humor!!! Thats where double standards come into play....
I hear this from every JC person I talk to...
Paintsville kids at games are so rude and make awful remarks...Okay and JC students and fans don't ....??????
paintsville parents think that they are always the best...and JC doesn't

For years its been well Paintsville has everything...well hello complete re-construction of sports facilities...we don't even have a softball field????

I mean everybody has their own opinions and should be able to voice it with a light hearted manner....but sometimes you all take this stuff WAY TO SERIOUS

:****happe

my question was to PHSwatergirl and she was stating that she couldn't believe that the coaches for JC were cheering for SV instead of Pville. And then she turns around and makes a statement "I can believe it." So, you talk about double standards? All I wanted to know was who was she cheering for in the JC/East Ridge game. I have seen both sides of the coin when it comes to the JC/Paintsville rivalry. I have seen some extremely rude fans and students from both schools. I have seen parents from both schools make absolute fools of themselves during games where the teams face off. I have seen the cheating that takes place on the court when these two teams face off. It is pathetic, immature, and disgusting. No rivalry is worth making yourself out to be a fool....regardless of how much you choose to feed it in the minds of the kids.

I knew a girl who grew up in the Paintsville school system. She lived and breathed PHS basketball. She hated JC with a passion that was disturbing. I asked her about it one time and she told me that from the time she was in kindergarten she was taught that Paintsville students are better than JC students....better socially, academically, financially, mentally.....better. What is worse she believed it with all her heart. She believed it so deeply that it disturbed her to learn that I had put my kids in Johnson Central. How messed up is that??????

Not once have I stated that Paintsville "has everything". I contemplated at one point sending my children to Paintsville for high school. But after visiting both schools and talking to the administration of both schools I decided that Johnson Central was the school that I wanted to trust with the their education. I have never regretted that decision. Johnson Central is a wonderful institution academically and I'm proud to be associated with it.

Good luck to both teams tonight....but I still hope that the EAGLES come to play and I hope that at the end of the night they will be cutting down the nets and heading back to Rupp. But if they don't....then so be it....I'm proud of them for getting this far and proving a lot of people wrong. No one expected them to make it out of district but here they are playing again for a chance to go to Rupp and represent their region. Seems to me that they deserve a few kudos for that at least....but I don't expect them to get it here.
The Guru Wrote:I agree, he did absolutely walk! But I made the comment last night as I clearly saw on the jumpstop, that he was hammered across the arm as he was going back p which caused the travel, so if you don't call the foul, you shouldn't call the walk(actually, you shouldn't even be a ref). But Bundy might have had the 2 biggest rebounds in the game during the final moments of the game! They were huge!

I have to agree with you on that one.. He was absolutely hammered, but everyone knew that call would never be made! Seems like at the end of big time games, the refs sometimes tend to swallow their whistles and neglect calls that should most definitely be made. I think that refs today are more lenient than those of 10-15 years ago. Some things that I have seen in this tournament in terms of officiating have just blown my mind, the worst being the inconsistency of calls from quarter to quarter. I most certainly think that a ref should never decide a game, but I also believe that the games, no matter who is playing, should be called fairly and consistent! And yes, Bundy did have what might have been the two biggest rebounds of the game in the final moments. Like I said, both teams played hard and left all they had on the floor.

The officiating was certainly not the deciding factor, it was just a turning point. The deciding point was the fact that Valley didn't convert on their free throws. Championsip teams have to hit their free throws! No matter what, this game was definitely one for the record books!
EagleMom Wrote:my question was to PHSwatergirl and she was stating that she couldn't believe that the coaches for JC were cheering for SV instead of Pville. And then she turns around and makes a statement "I can believe it." So, you talk about double standards? All I wanted to know was who was she cheering for in the JC/East Ridge game. I have seen both sides of the coin when it comes to the JC/Paintsville rivalry. I have seen some extremely rude fans and students from both schools. I have seen parents from both schools make absolute fools of themselves during games where the teams face off. I have seen the cheating that takes place on the court when these two teams face off. It is pathetic, immature, and disgusting. No rivalry is worth making yourself out to be a fool....regardless of how much you choose to feed it in the minds of the kids.

I knew a girl who grew up in the Paintsville school system. She lived and breathed PHS basketball. She hated JC with a passion that was disturbing. I asked her about it one time and she told me that from the time she was in kindergarten she was taught that Paintsville students are better than JC students....better socially, academically, financially, mentally.....better. What is worse she believed it with all her heart. She believed it so deeply that it disturbed her to learn that I had put my kids in Johnson Central. How messed up is that??????

Not once have I stated that Paintsville "has everything". I contemplated at one point sending my children to Paintsville for high school. But after visiting both schools and talking to the administration of both schools I decided that Johnson Central was the school that I wanted to trust with the their education. I have never regretted that decision. Johnson Central is a wonderful institution academically and I'm proud to be associated with it.

Good luck to both teams tonight....but I still hope that the EAGLES come to play and I hope that at the end of the night they will be cutting down the nets and heading back to Rupp. But if they don't....then so be it....I'm proud of them for getting this far and proving a lot of people wrong. No one expected them to make it out of district but here they are playing again for a chance to go to Rupp and represent their region. Seems to me that they deserve a few kudos for that at least....but I don't expect them to get it here.

Okay now ...you seriously need to check yourself!!! do you really think that Paintsville City sits there and tells there kids that they are better socially,economically and etc......LOL .....Please I grew up in that school system and JC was NEVER mentioned at all....and I know now its not!! Thats a pre-conceived notion!!! If I am not mistaken I believe its JC that states that they are better and all that garb.....Paintsville schools in general has prospered this long..because they teach their students how to be successful in the classroom, outside the classroom and in their activities!!!! Its called being an ACTIVE participant and being PROUD...and there's nothing wrong with that!!!
If something traumatic were to happen and PHS not win ..well ya know I am going to hope the best for JCHS...but the difference is there would be more PHS be for JCHS..than vice versa....I know there are ome that don't play that game...But lets be honest there's not a Board member of employee that would be caught dead supporting anything Paintsville.....
EagleMom Wrote:my question was to PHSwatergirl and she was stating that she couldn't believe that the coaches for JC were cheering for SV instead of Pville. And then she turns around and makes a statement "I can believe it." So, you talk about double standards? All I wanted to know was who was she cheering for in the JC/East Ridge game. I have seen both sides of the coin when it comes to the JC/Paintsville rivalry. I have seen some extremely rude fans and students from both schools. I have seen parents from both schools make absolute fools of themselves during games where the teams face off. I have seen the cheating that takes place on the court when these two teams face off. It is pathetic, immature, and disgusting. No rivalry is worth making yourself out to be a fool....regardless of how much you choose to feed it in the minds of the kids.

I respect this post greatly!
It doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me where parents send their kids to school. I don't ever want to see JC lose unless they are playing the Tigers.
I have watched the kids from both schools grow up and care deeply for all of them.
I guess when you get involved in the youths early, you find a little love for all of them and just want the best for them. Parents on the other hand.........
I'm only telling you what was told to me from a girl who was raised up a Tiger. But you would be wrong stating that there would be fewer JC fans supporting Paintsville than Paintsville fans supporting JC. I have heard several fans say that they would support Paintsville at state if they are the ones to represent the 15th region. I would venture to say that the number of rival supporters for either team would be about even.

And another thing, I have not heard one teacher or administrator state that JC is better than Paintsville as you claim....not one and my kids have been part of that school system for 7 years now. JC has a classy principal and he does his best to keep his student section in check whenever these teams meet.
The Guru Wrote:I respect this post greatly!
It doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me where parents send their kids to school. I don't ever want to see JC lose unless they are playing the Tigers.
I have watched the kids from both schools grow up and care deeply for all of them.
I guess when you get involved in the youths early, you find a little love for all of them and just want the best for them. Parents on the other hand.........

Thank you, Guru. That means a lot.
SecretAgent Wrote:Okay now ...you seriously need to check yourself!!! do you really think that Paintsville City sits there and tells there kids that they are better socially,economically and etc......LOL .....Please I grew up in that school system and JC was NEVER mentioned at all....and I know now its not!! Thats a pre-conceived notion!!! If I am not mistaken I believe its JC that states that they are better and all that garb.....Paintsville schools in general has prospered this long..because they teach their students how to be successful in the classroom, outside the classroom and in their activities!!!! Its called being an ACTIVE participant and being PROUD...and there's nothing wrong with that!!!
If something traumatic were to happen and PHS not win ..well ya know I am going to hope the best for JCHS...but the difference is there would be more PHS be for JCHS..than vice versa....I know there are ome that don't play that game...But lets be honest there's not a Board member of employee that would be caught dead supporting anything Paintsville.....
I agree with some but not all of this post.
PHS does not teach or try to influence kids into thinking they are better than anyone, only to do their best. The better than you, comes from parents.
Also....I know for a fact that there are people within JC that cheer on the Tigers. The Wireman family do, they show up and support the Tigers while cheering on Emily's boyfriend that plays baseball for Paintsville. They don't have too, but they do, and I promise you that from the baseball parents, they are the absolute berries!! When the Lady Tigers are playing JC in basketball. Sure, we cheer for Paintsville. But we only hope the very best for Coach Wireman, his family, his team!
EagleMom Wrote:I'm only telling you what was told to me from a girl who was raised up a Tiger. But you would be wrong stating that there would be fewer JC fans supporting Paintsville than Paintsville fans supporting JC. I have heard several fans say that they would support Paintsville at state if they are the ones to represent the 15th region. I would venture to say that the number of rival supporters for either team would be about even.

And another thing, I have not heard one teacher or administrator state that JC is better than Paintsville as you claim....not one and my kids have been part of that school system for 7 years now. JC has a classy principal and he does his best to keep his student section in check whenever these teams meet.
Sadly, I have heard it. But there are a lot more good people at JC than bad. Just that the bad seem to get involved in more than they should.
mama cat Wrote:Oh what class you have!!!! You know these boys get on here and read this stuff all the time and Tyler is one of them. Every Valley player made some mistakes tonight so what right have you to just name one and pick out his mistakes? I guess you want to overlook the good things he did???? Learn to show a little consideration and not be such a jerk!!!!! These boys are already hurt enough and feel like it is their fault, shame on you for trying to make them feel worse!!!!!

valley fan calling out pc you know (change that name i hate it) i went to PC when that got started:flame:
What is the title of this thread again?
PC_You_Know Wrote:Paintsville is not 9 points better than Valley. It took 3 of Valley's players out for Paintsville to even win the game. Good game Paintsville but them refs sure don't mind to help Landon one bit.
You're right. Paintsville is about 20 points better than Valley, they just let them back in the game. Smile
HazzBeen Wrote:What is the title of this thread again?
I can't remember???LOL
Well then maybe you need to look at your Superintendent and Asst....They are not Paintsville supporters..But I have never heard them BASH Paintsville....But I know for a FACT from more than one Faculty member of the JC school system...if a teacher has a child that participates in anything to do with the name Paintsville.....the rulers of the school go CRAZY over there...no teacher can send their kid to Paintsville and work there without getting totally bashed upon!!! I just think it goes both ways...and on my side of the fence its more JC making the harmful accusations!!! I know TONS of Good people at JC and LOVE them dearly and their children and we talk about this as well.......But your accusation that We teach our children that we are better ...was just OUTLANDISH and Crazy to be quite honest!!!

But I am done with this....I wish the best for both teams in everything!!!:Clap:
You know when I walked in to the Expo last night and sat in my chair and watched the introductions a memory popped in my head. I am sure all of you will remember this, the 01-02 Regional tournament game at Pike Central between South Floyd and Paintsville. Now that game last night reminded me so much of it just how packed it was and how much tension and emotion was running on that game. Paintville won by one point 79-78 and turned around in the finals and got beat by Shelby Valley.
Not to change the subject but back on the topic, I'd like to say that Elisha Justice wanted SV back in this game, he and Logan changed the game with their defense. Elisha showed how important heart is in this game, not to mention his talent.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:You know when I walked in to the Expo last night and sat in my chair and watched the introductions a memory popped in my head. I am sure all of you will remember this, the 01-02 Regional tournament game at Pike Central between South Floyd and Paintsville. Now that game last night reminded me so much of it just how packed it was and how much tension and emotion was running on that game. Paintville won by one point 79-78 and turned around in the finals and got beat by Shelby Valley.
I thought about that very same thing!!! I just hope for a different finish! in '02 the semi game was what let valley win the region that year! Or at least was a major factor in it.
I just wasn't wanting to bring it up LOL!
First of all, I would like to thank both teams on such a compelling 2-OT thriller. Reminds me of another 2-OT game I've played in against Paintsville. Now onto my thoughts on the game.

I'm sick of reading all these posts about the officiating. Seriously, what game has anyone ever watched that no one ever complained about it? None, so let's just quit complaining about it.

True, I can see why Booher wanted to hold the ball. Yet, if he could have went after Vanhoose or Slone to get that 5th foul on them, then I think the outcome would have changed dramatically. Then again, if Valley had made half of their freethrows there probably would have been no overtime in the first place. However, I must compliment them for making a game of it after falling behind double digits in the first half and clawing back to retake the lead on several occassions.

Now onto Painstville. It's good to see you guys finally make it to the finals. I know you all have run into some tough times in the previous three years, but that's in the past. Make it count this year. I am surprised that you guys were able to overcome some serious foul trouble and play that long without fouling out. I really wish you guys had a solid bench (and by this, I mean more than 1 person) in order to not have to play a majority of your starters with 2 fouls each in the first half. Anyway, good luck to you and Johnson Central in the finals.

Now for all of the bashing I've read on here, this is ridiculous. I think it was mamacat who said that the boys get on here and read this even though I'm sure the coach would prefer them not to. No one is perfect, which means everyone makes mistakes. But to come out and mention names and put the blame on them, that is not ethical at all. I only ask you to think about what you say first before posting it. Pretend that you are one of the boys and if what you type would more than likely irk you, then don't post it.

All of this is coming from a former Shelby Valley Wildcat who has the utmost respect for Bill Mike Runyon and his Tigers. Bill Mike has had such a storied athletic and coaching career, and I wish him the best of luck to whatever lies in the future for him.
alleycat53 Wrote:Not to change the subject but back on the topic, I'd like to say that Elisha Justice wanted SV back in this game, he and Logan changed the game with their defense. Elisha showed how important heart is in this game, not to mention his talent.
Which of the fifteen subject were you not wanting to change?Big Grin
I agree about the heart and talent!
formerwildcat22 Wrote:First of all, I would like to thank both teams on such a compelling 2-OT thriller. Reminds me of another 2-OT game I've played in against Paintsville. Now onto my thoughts on the game.

I'm sick of reading all these posts about the officiating. Seriously, what game has anyone ever watched that no one ever complained about it? None, so let's just quit complaining about it.

True, I can see why Booher wanted to hold the ball. Yet, if he could have went after Vanhoose or Slone to get that 5th foul on them, then I think the outcome would have changed dramatically. Then again, if Valley had made half of their freethrows there probably would have been no overtime in the first place. However, I must compliment them for making a game of it after falling behind double digits in the first half and clawing back to retake the lead on several occassions.

Now onto Painstville. It's good to see you guys finally make it to the finals. I know you all have run into some tough times in the previous three years, but that's in the past. Make it count this year. I am surprised that you guys were able to overcome some serious foul trouble and play that long without fouling out. I really wish you guys had a solid bench (and by this, I mean more than 1 person) in order to not have to play a majority of your starters with 2 fouls each in the first half. Anyway, good luck to you and Johnson Central in the finals.

Now for all of the bashing I've read on here, this is ridiculous. I think it was mamacat who said that the boys get on here and read this even though I'm sure the coach would prefer them not to. No one is perfect, which means everyone makes mistakes. But to come out and mention names and put the blame on them, that is not ethical at all. I only ask you to think about what you say first before posting it. Pretend that you are one of the boys and if what you type would more than likely irk you, then don't post it.

All of this is coming from a former Shelby Valley Wildcat who has the utmost respect for Bill Mike Runyon and his Tigers. Bill Mike has had such a storied athletic and coaching career, and I wish him the best of luck to whatever lies in the future for him.
WOW!!!:Clap:
All I can say!
The Guru Wrote:I thought about that very same thing!!! I just hope for a different finish! in '02 the semi game was what let valley win the region that year! Or at least was a major factor in it.
I just wasn't wanting to bring it up LOL!
LOL I was 14 and can remember everything about that game, remember talking to BMR after the game the first time I had ever talked to the man. I shook his hand and told him great game coach. He looked at me and I will never forget it, tears were filling his eyes and he said thanks son rubbed my head and like a phantom in the night walked around the hall way and into the locker room.
I know what you're saying 15thRegionSlamaBamma, he carries that certain aura around him wherever he goes. The 15th Region is losing another great coach. In my years of playing, I watched Danny Adams, Rodney Rowe, and the coach at Johson Central (Les something, help me out) end their tenure as coaches at Magoffin, Valley, and Valley. It's like a whole new generation is taking over.
formerwildcat22 Wrote:I know what you're saying 15thRegionSlamaBamma, he carries that certain aura around him wherever he goes. The 15th Region is losing another great coach. In my years of playing, I watched Danny Adams, Rodney Rowe, and the coach at Johson Central (Les something, help me out) end their tenure as coaches at Magoffin, Valley, and Valley. It's like a whole new generation is taking over.

that would be Les Trimble
formerwildcat22 Wrote:I know what you're saying 15thRegionSlamaBamma, he carries that certain aura around him wherever he goes. The 15th Region is losing another great coach. In my years of playing, I watched Danny Adams, Rodney Rowe, and the coach at Johson Central (Les something, help me out) end their tenure as coaches at Magoffin, Valley, and Valley. It's like a whole new generation is taking over.

Another great game the year following the Paintsville, Valley final was the first round match-up between Shelby Valley and Pike Central I think you may have played in that one.
I did play in that game, and it was probably the second-most thrilling game I've played in behind our opening game with Paintsville in 2005. Looking back, that was a very hard run since we played Pike Central on their home floor, Johnson Central on their home floor, and Paintsville at JCHS (which pretty much is almost their home floor). Phillip Akers, Paul Terry Fleming, and Ryan Tackett were the seniors that year, and they were the greatest guys to play ball with.
EagleMom Wrote:Let me ask you if you were rooting for Johnson Central in their game or for East Ridge?
Neither.... I didn't get to see much of it... I forgot stuff in the car.
Stick to discussing the game and not who was rooting for which team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
formerwildcat22 Wrote:I did play in that game, and it was probably the second-most thrilling game I've played in behind our opening game with Paintsville in 2005. Looking back, that was a very hard run since we played Pike Central on their home floor, Johnson Central on their home floor, and Paintsville at JCHS (which pretty much is almost their home floor). Phillip Akers, Paul Terry Fleming, and Ryan Tackett were the seniors that year, and they were the greatest guys to play ball with.

Thats what I thought if im not mistaking you either started that year or was the sixth man of the bench correct me if I am wrong i just think I know who you are. That was my freshman year and it was a great atmosphere, the foul that McCurrey committed was so stupid, and I thought for sure the last second runner that Barry Sanders shot was going in, seemed like it took an eternity for it to rim out, probably felt longer for you lol. I love just reminiscing on all I have seen over my years. Sorry to get so off topic everyone.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next