Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Bill Mike Runyon's Last year
i was just wondering about everyone thinks about Bill Mike's decision to retire???:confused:

I hate it..because he is the CENTER of Paintsville's world......He has made PHS what it is today!!!:theman:
Yes he has! IMO I really think he is ready for a new and bigger challenge. Whether that be on the college level or not, I can't see him giving up all together.
Must feel like an idiot to play for Paintsville and not be a Senior knowing that during the middle of the year your coach won't be back next year.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Must feel like an idiot to play for Paintsville and not be a Senior knowing that during the middle of the year your coach won't be back next year.

Not really..its actually an HONOR for those boys!!!! They know they got to play for a legend and they APPRECIATE that...but what would PC know about legends or traditions!!! You all have NONE

in elementary boys at paintsville think that the basketball players are wonderful...and they hold BMR to God status!!!! Just take a look at the end of their bench and look at those young Tigers I am talking about the ones sitting on the floor...that just want to give the boys water and towels!!! Its an HONOR to be with them as a team!!! and that what BMR has taught..the importance of traditions and discipline!
SecretAgent Wrote:Not really..its actually an HONOR for those boys!!!! They know they got to play for a legend and they APPRECIATE that...but what would PC know about legends or traditions!!! You all have NONE

in elementary boys at paintsville think that the basketball players are wonderful...and they hold BMR to God status!!!! Just take a look at the end of their bench and look at those young Tigers I am talking about the ones sitting on the floor...that just want to give the boys water and towels!!! Its an HONOR to be with them as a team!!! and that what BMR has taught..the importance of traditions and discipline!

Couldn't agree more. I am a Paintsville graduate and the only thing I could think of from the time I went and watched a basketball game with my dad was putting on the blue and white with the words "Paintsville" across the chest. I remember growing up and immitating the players from the past in the backyard on my dirt bball court hoping to be a part of the tradition some day.

When you put that jersey on it's a PRIVLEDGE and an HONOR to garn the same threads as J.R. VanHoose, Todd Tackett, John Pelphrey, Keith Adkins, Bob Porter and the list could go on and on. BMR is a legend and I had the privledge to play for him and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. The only thing I could hope for is whenever I have kids that they would get the oppertunity to play for him. He's a great teacher of the game, a great educator in the class and an even better person. He will truly be missed.
SecretAgent Wrote:i was just wondering about everyone thinks about Bill Mike's decision to retire???:confused:

I hate it..because he is the CENTER of Paintsville's world......He has made PHS what it is today!!!:theman:
Ok Runyon is a good high school basketball coach in the state of Ky. But this is easily top 5 dumbest statement ever. He isn't the center of Paintsville's world or even close to being.
The Joker Wrote:Ok Runyon is a good high school basketball coach in the state of Ky. But this is easily top 5 dumbest statement ever. He isn't the center of Paintsville's world or even close to being.

Well than either your Not from Paintsville..or Have No clue.......since early 80's BMR has devoted to life to that school and has had a strong force within that school...Go talk to the students as see what they tell ya!!! When kids get in trouble the one person they don't want involved is Coach Runyon......those kids walk straight lines when it comes to him....He has helped build almost every program at Paintsville....and will leave a tradition and expectation of excellence behind.....Coach Runyon leaves big shoes to fill...but since Matt was one of his players I am sure he will do what it takes!!!

As a past . ...past...past student of PHS ..I still have the most respect and devotion to the man and his family!!:rockon:
SecretAgent Wrote:Well than either your Not from Paintsville..or Have No clue.......since early 80's BMR has devoted to life to that school and has had a strong force within that school...Go talk to the students as see what they tell ya!!! When kids get in trouble the one person they don't want involved is Coach Runyon......those kids walk straight lines when it comes to him....He has helped build almost every program at Paintsville....and will leave a tradition and expectation of excellence behind.....Coach Runyon leaves big shoes to fill...but since Matt was one of his players I am sure he will do what it takes!!!

As a past . ...past...past student of PHS ..I still have the most respect and devotion to the man and his family!!:rockon:
I am sorry.....I really like the guy and have great respect for his coaching. And yes....he does make the students walk a tight line(he gave me the hardest paddling ever and that was out of at least a hundred I had)but, IMO, he can't even reach the pedestal you are putting him on! His ego couldn't even get him that high. This is from a Tiger fan but gosh!!! He ain't dead yet, let's leave him a little something to live for!
SecretAgent Wrote:Well than either your Not from Paintsville..or Have No clue.......since early 80's BMR has devoted to life to that school and has had a strong force within that school...Go talk to the students as see what they tell ya!!! When kids get in trouble the one person they don't want involved is Coach Runyon......those kids walk straight lines when it comes to him....He has helped build almost every program at Paintsville....and will leave a tradition and expectation of excellence behind.....Coach Runyon leaves big shoes to fill...but since Matt was one of his players I am sure he will do what it takes!!!

I said he was a good bball coach. But just the center of PHS I don't see. Just for the record he hasn't built any other program at PHS except for basketball. Charlie Adkins and Walter Brugh built their respective sports over a long career.
I respect his decision, but I know he's going to definitely miss it. It'll be hard to picture watching Paintsville and not seeing BMR pacing up and down the sidelines. Good luck to the new coach.
:worthy:
i meant he helped....under Coach Adkins...he assisted..under Brugh he assisted and eventually even took the football team over for year...and had a winning season!!!
BMR is one of the greats of PHS and NO MATTER he will never be FORGOTTEN
SecretAgent Wrote::worthy:
i meant he helped....under Coach Adkins...he assisted..under Brugh he assisted and eventually even took the football team over for year...and had a winning season!!!
Now this I can get with!!! But you have to admit that you got a little carried away! LOL j/k with ya!
SecretAgent Wrote::worthy:

Great post, even though Brugh was listed as the head coach Runyon ran the show, and yes I did play for him while he was coaching, and I think you can put him on that proverbial pedestal, He imo is one **** of a person and coach.
Man of impeccable morals. He will be sorrily missedConfusedalute:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Man of impeccable morals. He will be sorrily missedConfusedalute:
I SENSE SARCASM.................................

My Grandpa once told me, "Son, if your gonna discuss a man's morals you should be man enough to look him in the eye." I hope that's a genuine post Mr. Kimball, if not you may want to follow my Grandpa's advice.

BMR will be missed in the region and around the state. He loved his kids,school and the Paintsville community. Good luck Coach!!!
Bill Mike is an excellant coach and I believe that he is looking for a new challenge. I honestly think that he will join John Pelphry's staff at Arkansas, he would be a very good recruiter having been a high school basketball coach, but its just my opinion.

Best of luck to him on whatever he does!
blackcat_student Wrote:Bill Mike is an excellant coach and I believe that he is looking for a new challenge. I honestly think that he will join John Pelphry's staff at Arkansas, he would be a very good recruiter having been a high school basketball coach, but its just my opinion.

Best of luck to him on whatever he does!
I think it's a job he could handle. Would love to see it.
To Guru...I did get carried away a little...but that happens to the best of us on here!!LOL
:AngelPray
I didn't play basketball for him. Fat guys and "hills" dont mix. But he was without question the most influential person in my 10 years I spent in the city school system. Whether it's jus talking to him in passing, or listening to an interview, I still listen to every word he has to say, thinking he may say something that I could learn from. I hate the thought of me wanting to see JC win this game tonite. I think it's only appropriate for him to reach the big stage one more time, especially with this group of kids he's lived and died with the last 5-6 years. Win or lose, the first thing I will look for and keep my eyes on when the buzzer sounds, is Coach and just how he reacts. For him personally, I hope its in joy and celebration of making it thru one more time, cause I know no matter how glad I would be if JC pulled off the upset, I would be more sad seeing his reaction and realizing it was his last game. Just wish him good luck, tonite and for years to come.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:I didn't play basketball for him. Fat guys and "hills" dont mix. But he was without question the most influential person in my 10 years I spent in the city school system. Whether it's jus talking to him in passing, or listening to an interview, I still listen to every word he has to say, thinking he may say something that I could learn from. I hate the thought of me wanting to see JC win this game tonite. I think it's only appropriate for him to reach the big stage one more time, especially with this group of kids he's lived and died with the last 5-6 years. Win or lose, the first thing I will look for and keep my eyes on when the buzzer sounds, is Coach and just how he reacts. For him personally, I hope its in joy and celebration of making it thru one more time, cause I know no matter how glad I would be if JC pulled off the upset, I would be more sad seeing his reaction and realizing it was his last game. Just wish him good luck, tonite and for years to come.

:lmao:
okay the fat guy and hills comment was HILARIOUS....I think No matter what at the end of the game tonight ...everyone needs to give Coach just one more moment in time....How sweet to go out this way!!! He is a wonderful man...and agree or disagree I can't think of another coach in 15th region that has stayed with a program as long as he has and had as much success...Plus lets not forget the amazing ball players that came from Paintsville during his era..that went on to college and did wonderful things!!!

Just something to ponder on....Have you ever took a look at the audience and followers of PHS basketball??? Well I would say ALOT of BMR's previous ball players come to support him....last night alone you had...B.phelps, J.Holbrook, Matt Williams,. Walt Crace, Brian Hale, Keith Adkins was there...and more WOW !!! How many other coaches can say that their previous players are that supportive!!!
SecretAgent Wrote:i was just wondering about everyone thinks about Bill Mike's decision to retire???:confused:

Just wanna say..that I agree Coach Runyon has meant alot to PHS and especially my family!! I just wish my little boy could have gotten the chance to play for him!! Coaches in the 15th have come and gone..but known with a legacy like his!! I hope the roof blows off that place tonight when Coach Runyon and Tigers win.I know I will be on my feet cheering for the Tigers but yet having tears of sadness knowing he won't be there next year!! .. Coach Runyon needs a special applause , standing or something tonight so he can go out with a BANG..he deserves it..and has earned it!!! I wonder if they can hook up the pyro so when Paintsville wins..everything goes wild!!

TongueirateSho
The thing that is often misunderstood is Coach Runyons sense of compassion. I have on many occasions seen him freely give to the poorer kids in school weather it was clothes or shoes, or even a little spending money for a field trip. If he saw the need he gave without asking questions and without expecting anything in return. These students were not players and were never going to be. Bill Mike Runyon and his wife Jamie 2 of the finest PEOPLE ever involved with my children or Paintsville Ind. Schools and I wish you both all of Gods blessings in the future.
transplanttiger Wrote:The thing that is often misunderstood is Coach Runyons sense of compassion. I have on many occasions seen him freely give to the poorer kids in school weather it was clothes or shoes, or even a little spending money for a field trip. If he saw the need he gave without asking questions and without expecting anything in return. These students were not players and were never going to be. Bill Mike Runyon and his wife Jamie 2 of the finest PEOPLE ever involved with my children or Paintsville Ind. Schools and I wish you both all of Gods blessings in the future.

Good quote...
I agree 100%...Coach Runyon seems tough but he really has a tender heart!! what will Billy Fraley do without him????
But not enough is sad about Jamie...she was my teacher in school...and is a REAL CLASS ACT!!!! I don't know if I could be as calm as she is sometimes!!! I don't think she has ever missed a game!!!
My mom always says behind every good man...is a GREAT woman !!!
Either way they are both class acts and have been so important to the people at Paintsville Independent!!! :Sad04:
Bein a former player under coach Runyon in all 3 sports (football, basketball, baseball), I am deeply saddened to see him hang it up. I remember when my uncle was a trainor at PHS when I was a lil kid and he use to take me to practice with him. The first time I ever saw John Holbrook and that bunch play, I couldn't wait to put on a Paintsville basketball uniform and play for coach Runyon. I'm proud to say I had the priviledge of playin for him.
KRC Wrote:Good quote...
I agree 100%...Coach Runyon seems tough but he really has a tender heart!! what will Billy Fraley do without him????
But not enough is sad about Jamie...she was my teacher in school...and is a REAL CLASS ACT!!!! I don't know if I could be as calm as she is sometimes!!! I don't think she has ever missed a game!!!
My mom always says behind every good man...is a GREAT woman !!!
Either way they are both class acts and have been so important to the people at Paintsville Independent!!! :Sad04:

Great post. They both are excellent people and are always for the children. I never thought a minute about sending my kids with them. I knew and still know that they would treat my children as their own!! Whether it was a sporting event or an academic meet!!! I love them both!!!HATS OFF TO OUR COACH BILL MIKE RUNYON, ALSO TO HIS WIFE JAYME!! I applaud you both. Heck I'll give you all a standing ovation!!!:Clap:
me too!!!! Its bitter sweet...
To all the haters of the BMR era and the traditions of paintsville this is all I have to say:

:kneel:
I would like to see him go on and join John Pelphry at Arkansas as an assistant but i dought it ever coming to pass
PC_You_Know Wrote:Must feel like an idiot to play for Paintsville and not be a Senior knowing that during the middle of the year your coach won't be back next year.
Why would you say something like that? The kids can't help it that their coach has decided to retire.........Why would they feel like Idiots? They will be a part of BMR's Last Team to go to Rupp.............They will NEVER forget it!
The Guru Wrote:I am sorry.....I really like the guy and have great respect for his coaching. And yes....he does make the students walk a tight line(he gave me the hardest paddling ever and that was out of at least a hundred I had)but, IMO, he can't even reach the pedestal you are putting him on! His ego couldn't even get him that high. This is from a Tiger fan but gosh!!! He ain't dead yet, let's leave him a little something to live for!
I also had the honor of feeling Bill Mike's paddle, a couple of years after you did.........He is a great man, but by No means a God!
BlueTiger85-14 Wrote:I also had the honor of feeling Bill Mike's paddle, a couple of years after you did.........He is a great man, but by No means a God!

You can add me to that list, lol. ISS with coach VanHoose or 3 licks of the paddle from coach Runyon, hmmm, lol.