Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could RUPP hurt Paintsville Baseball?
I was speaking to some other Tiger fans at the championship tonight. Paintsville came out tonight and took care of business, but we were wondering just how much Paintsville's baseball season will suffer due to players such as Grimm and Vanhoose who have still not even taken the first ground ball? Does everyone think this will have an impact on the Tiger's season? Or do we bounce back with no drop off and these seniors have another good run in a post season with baseball?
I personally think they will be fine...it will take them awhile to get in the swing of things again...especially Grim and him being the starting pitcher!!!

But they have a good coaching staff...and things should work themselves out!!!!

Go Blue
They will be fine. It will prolly take them a few days to knock the rust off. But, they will be fine when it counts.
Yes Paintsville should be fine, they have a scrimmage Saturday with out these boys, so we will see how they do with out. But when the real deal starts these boys should be just DANDY!
Hey Stripes, is that the one scheduled for Allen Central? If not, where you guys playing Saturday? And time, also. Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Hey Stripes, is that the one scheduled for Allen Central? If not, where you guys playing Saturday? And time, also. Thanks

I heard the AC scrimmage was scheduled for the 19th.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Hey Stripes, is that the one scheduled for Allen Central? If not, where you guys playing Saturday? And time, also. Thanks

I believe they play Lincoln Co. @ 1pm. To be played @ Paintsville. Followed by a huge spaggetti dinner for the teams and coaches!
I hope the weather allows this game.

Vanhoose, Grimm, Vialpando, Rice, Brown, Spencer, Jackson, Adkins and possibly Reynolds still in basketball. The first 5 will be starting or at least in the significant rotation.
The Guru Wrote:I believe they play Lincoln Co. @ 1pm. To be played @ Paintsville. Followed by a huge spaggetti dinner for the teams and coaches!
I hope the weather allows this game.

Vanhoose, Grimm, Vialpando, Rice, Brown, Spencer, Jackson, Adkins and possibly Reynolds still in basketball. The first 5 will be starting or at least in the significant rotation.

See! That's exactly what worries me. Our starting pitcher's have lost so much time on the mound. While most of the regions pitching staffs have been throwing all winter(maybe two other programs), these guys haven't thrown the first ball. Arm conditioning is a big part of pitching, and starting it as late as they will be I think it will take them awhile to get their arms in shape to even throw. Paintsville runs a good program, and don't get me wrong, some of the kids in the 15th will quit basketball one day and start a game the next day. If anybody knows anything about baseball they know that will completely ruin your arm, and thats why some of these kids arms are completely dead by the end of the season. I think once they take the time to get their arms conditioned they will be very dominant, and to be honest the only time it really matters is the post season. You know they'll be ready by then.
who is the pitching staff at PHS this year?? will Harmon /Crace return??? or is Bob Lyons coaaching that??? I think Lyon's son...( forgot the name) is a heck of a pitcher though!!!:thumpsup:
SecretAgent Wrote:who is the pitching staff at PHS this year?? will Harmon /Crace return??? or is Bob Lyons coaaching that??? I think Lyon's son...( forgot the name) is a heck of a pitcher though!!!:thumpsup:
Grimm, Ison, Humphrey, Vialpando, Cyrus, Rice, and Lyons will all see a lot of innings this year. vanhoose might not pitch this year and just play SS, I think that might be left up to him. Lemaster....I am not sure if he is going to play. I heard he wanted to just pitch and then run track, which is alright, but I don't know if he has even picked up a ball yet.
Crace and Lyons have been working the pitchers, and I have not heard anything from Harmon.
should have a good year...How many seniors did they lose last year??? But IMO Grim and Lyons are Paintsville's only BIG time pitchers..that is if JD decides to stay on SS?? The others I haven't heard about....except Rice but I heard he doesn't have the accuracy or heat to finish a game?? But has the size and desire to be a good pitcher!! Does he do alot of strength training???
between Tucker,Walt and Coach Lyons and whoever decides to help with coaching...they should be able to get things were they need to be!!:Thumbs:
SecretAgent Wrote:should have a good year...How many seniors did they lose last year??? But IMO Grim and Lyons are Paintsville's only BIG time pitchers..that is if JD decides to stay on SS?? The others I haven't heard about....except Rice but I heard he doesn't have the accuracy or heat to finish a game?? But has the size and desire to be a good pitcher!! Does he do alot of strength training???
between Tucker,Walt and Coach Lyons and whoever decides to help with coaching...they should be able to get things were they need to be!!:Thumbs:

OK, here is just my take.
Grimm is Grimm, he can either completely shut you down or at least pitch a pretty good game. He is the only legit complete game pitcher on the staff.
Lyons, Gonna be a great talent on the hill, I hope this is his breakout year. Last year he had 3-4 really good outings including a perfect game and a no-no, only to get pulled after 3-4 innings. this IMO could make him even better and more determined this year! Good luck "A"!
After these two, I think you will see platoon pitching. All are capable of giving 2-3 good innings, maybe more. Hump just keeps impressing me more and more with his versatility! Ison needs to know that he can pitch more than a couple of innings cause I know he can!! Might even think of making Ison a designated closer. Rice saw some Varsity innings last year and shows a lot of promise.
Vialpando saw mostly JV action on the mound last year and is impressive, nasty little curve and has decent velosity and hits his spots. Cyrus has been pitching strictly JV for the last 2 years, but has grown and increased his strength signifiantly, is a lefty that keeps the ball down has nice off speed and an improving fastball.
Lemaster showed promise as a frosh but didn't play last year until summer and was very rusty. Vanhoose could throw if needed, but IMO that is up to him.
That is pretty much my take on the varsity staff.
These guys are natural athletes. Sure it will be a change going from the court to the diamond. But they are used to it. It won't take them long to get in the groove of things.
Godspeed Wrote:These guys are natural athletes. Sure it will be a change going from the court to the diamond. But they are used to it. It won't take them long to get in the groove of things.
:thumpsup:
I believe that grimm has been throwing a couple of times a week....for a while now.....Don't know about the others.....Hope to see vanhoose on the mound this year.....IMO 1 more week will not make a significant difference in their performance....the first district games are still a few weeks away...
INSIGHT Wrote:I believe that grimm has been throwing a couple of times a week....for a while now.....Don't know about the others.....Hope to see vanhoose on the mound this year.....IMO 1 more week will not make a significant difference in their performance....the first district games are still a few weeks away...
Hush your mouth!!!
Coach Runyon....don't believe a word from this guy!!! Grimmie would do no such thing til after basketball!
Mods....please remove these 2 posts quick!
The Guru Wrote:Hush your mouth!!!
Coach Runyon....don't believe a word from this guy!!! Grimmie would do no such thing til after basketball!

FUNNY ! I did say that I believe....don't know for sure, but don't see how it would hurt the kid to throw.........apparently it hasn't ...if he has been throwing because he snagged the regional mvp.

However, I don't know this to be a fact !!!!!
INSIGHT Wrote:FUNNY ! I did say that I believe....don't know for sure, but don't see how it would hurt the kid to throw.........apparently it hasn't ...if he has been throwing because he snagged the regional mvp.

However, I don't know this to be a fact !!!!!
OK...we will just call it rumor!
I don't know anything!
The Guru Wrote:OK...we will just call it rumor!
I don't know anything!

Works for me:thumpsup:
The Guru Wrote:OK...we will just call it rumor!
I don't know anything!

Well regardless of what people think basketball still rules the roost in Paintsville and I would say that Grimm has been concentrating on basketball and only basketball since October 15th.
The Guru Wrote:Hush your mouth!!!
If he is smart he would've been throwing all during basketball. If he hasn't I don't know how much he will have improved from last season.
The Joker Wrote:If he is smart he would've been throwing all during basketball. If he hasn't I don't know how much he will have improved from last season.

That's actually a good point. I hope he has been.
The Joker Wrote:If he is smart he would've been throwing all during basketball. If he hasn't I don't know how much he will have improved from last season.
It is forbidden at PHS. Just like during baseball, you are not allowed to even dribble a basketball.

It is all about trying to keep accidents down. They(the coaches) would even get mad if yu rode a bicycle!
The Guru Wrote:It is forbidden at PHS. Just like during baseball, you are not allowed to even dribble a basketball.

It is all about trying to keep accidents down. They(the coaches) would even get mad if yu rode a bicycle!

I had no idea that was an actual rule? I guess I can understand it though.
OMG Wrote:I had no idea that was an actual rule? I guess I can understand it though.
It isn't in any handbook or anything, but they are definately told!
The Guru Wrote:It isn't in any handbook or anything, but they are definately told!

Yea I wouldn't have imagined it being able to become an actual "handbook law." They have really come down hard recently on coaches influencing players to only play one sport and so on. So I would say this rule is just like some unspoken rules in the baseball world that we live by.
It's like this, if you have a "ace" pitcher and he gets out goofin' around on a skateboard or foolin' around on the tennis court, or over @ the track playin' around trying to run hurdles... and gets himself injured... then everyone loses. They just want to keep down the "accidents"... not influence sporting interests.
Lisa Douglas Wrote:It's like this, if you have a "ace" pitcher and he gets out goofin' around on a skateboard or foolin' around on the tennis court, or over @ the track playin' around trying to run hurdles... and gets himself injured... then everyone loses. They just want to keep down the "accidents"... not influence sporting interests.

So I see why they took the keys to the weight room away from all of the other coaches while basketball season was going on. It was just to cut down on "accidents". Glad to know that it was not to try to influence more kids to play basketball and not to discourage them to specialty train in the other sports.That's pretty innovative.Smile
The Guru Wrote:OK, here is just my take.
Grimm is Grimm, he can either completely shut you down or at least pitch a pretty good game. He is the only legit complete game pitcher on the staff.
Lyons, Gonna be a great talent on the hill, I hope this is his breakout year. Last year he had 3-4 really good outings including a perfect game and a no-no, only to get pulled after 3-4 innings. this IMO could make him even better and more determined this year! Good luck "A"!
After these two, I think you will see platoon pitching. All are capable of giving 2-3 good innings, maybe more. Hump just keeps impressing me more and more with his versatility! Ison needs to know that he can pitch more than a couple of innings cause I know he can!! Might even think of making Ison a designated closer. Rice saw some Varsity innings last year and shows a lot of promise.
Vialpando saw mostly JV action on the mound last year and is impressive, nasty little curve and has decent velosity and hits his spots. Cyrus has been pitching strictly JV for the last 2 years, but has grown and increased his strength signifiantly, is a lefty that keeps the ball down has nice off speed and an improving fastball.
Lemaster showed promise as a frosh but didn't play last year until summer and was very rusty. Vanhoose could throw if needed, but IMO that is up to him.
That is pretty much my take on the varsity staff.
That's about the 3rd time a comment such as that has been made in this thread. What ever happened to kids doing what they were told by the coaching staffs in order to do what was best for the team. Interesting to now know that kids are able to just decide that they are now abe to do just whatever they feel like doing, whenever they want to do it. It is obvious that VanHoose is not interested in pitching, or he would have worked on it his whole high school career. I really dont think he is the option that some of you may think.

For one thing I am very amused that so many of you on here take the pitching profession so lightly. Got news for every one of you. You just dont pick a ball up when basketball season is over and then when the season is over forget about it up again till next year when basketball season is over.

Not meaning to be a smart alleck by any means, but in my opinion Lyons and Grimm are really the only two on staff that I would have much confidence in at all. All of the others being mentioned have really not worked too much on pitching their whole baseball careers, so I have trouble imagining that just out of nowhere they will be guys that will ultimately have to be depended on to shut someone down in a third game of post season play.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:So I see why they took the keys to the weight room away from all of the other coaches while basketball season was going on. It was just to cut down on "accidents". Glad to know that it was not to try to influence more kids to play basketball and not to discourage them to specialty train in the other sports.That's pretty innovative.Smile

you know something, I was being sincere & you were being ugly. I don't like it. I don't do you that way whenever you post. Sooo stop it.