Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Catcher's in the 15th Region....
RedSeal Wrote:Hayes is the best....hands down....no comparison.....
After that, Corey Adams and Taylor Smith are close seconds. Both have great bats. Taylor is full-time catcher for JC and Adams plays some outfield
Pretty sure Adams has only caught in varsity. Not positive but you would definately consider him as a fulltime catcher.
The Guru Wrote:Pretty sure Adams has only caught in varsity. Not positive but you would definately consider him as a fulltime catcher.

Catching is such a vital postition, I hope they keep him there all year.
vundy33 Wrote:What about ER's Caleb Epling?

Caleb is very quick and also smart behind the plate...also has a decent arm, and a good bat. I think hes one of the top in the 15th....he should help the warriors alot in the 2008 season.
baseballfan606 Wrote:Caleb is very quick and also smart behind the plate...also has a decent arm, and a good bat. I think hes one of the top in the 15th....he should help the warriors alot in the 2008 season.

He may be, but I spoke to one of the LC coaches today and they told me yesterday at the scrimmage he clocked ER's catcher at a 2.6 from home to second. Base that compared to the others and he's not one of the top in the region. We will just wait and see what the season holds though.
OMG Wrote:He may be, but I spoke to one of the LC coaches today and they told me yesterday at the scrimmage he clocked ER's catcher at a 2.6 from home to second. Base that compared to the others and he's not one of the top in the region. We will just wait and see what the season holds though.

i said he had a decent arm...not a rocket
baseballfan606 Wrote:i said he had a decent arm...not a rocket

i think average is around a 2.3 or so, but it varies I guess. Exceptional would be under 2.0. It was just a scrimmage no big deal. He may get better as the season goes on.
Does anyone know the kid from SC he has to be in there somewhere's...
pl123 Wrote:Does anyone know the kid from SC he has to be in there somewhere's...

I don't know what his name is, but I know who your talking about. You think he is among the best in the region? When I think of the best, i'm thinking of the top 5. I really think there are 3 catchers that are just on another league than everybody else. After them you could really just throw in anybody. The top 3 being.

Hayes-LC
Adams-Paintsville
Smith-JCHS
OMG Wrote:He may be, but I spoke to one of the LC coaches today and they told me yesterday at the scrimmage he clocked ER's catcher at a 2.6 from home to second. Base that compared to the others and he's not one of the top in the region. We will just wait and see what the season holds though.

A 2.6 is not very good. A lot has to do with footwork and ball exchange rather than an absolue rocket. A lot of factors come into play when it comes to having good times to second. Hayes from LC has been clocked in the low 1.8's and I would imagine Adams from PVille has been clocked close to a 2.0-2.1 range.
Triple Crown Wrote:A 2.6 is not very good. A lot has to do with footwork and ball exchange rather than an absolue rocket. A lot of factors come into play when it comes to having good times to second. Hayes from LC has been clocked in the low 1.8's and I would imagine Adams from PVille has been clocked close to a 2.0-2.1 range.

Your exactly right!
I think Caleb might of just had a bad throwing day at LC. Last year at a baseball camp he was clocked around 2.1. He also stole second on Hayes during that scrimmage at LC, I think everyone might just be a little rusty right now.
vundy33 Wrote:I think Caleb might of just had a bad throwing day at LC. Last year at a baseball camp he was clocked around 2.1. He also stole second on Hayes during that scrimmage at LC, I think everyone might just be a little rusty right now.

Well you can't put him in the same league with the likes of Hayes, Adams, and Smith. I'm sorry but their talent level is beyond any other catcher in the region. A 2.6 compared to a 1.8 is a big difference. Not too mention Hayes is one of the best defensive catchers in the state as is Adams and Smith. There are not a lot of good catchers around the state this year and I think these three will get a lot of recognition because of it.
I like PC's Bobby McKinney. He's got a good bat, quick to his feet, and a rocket arm. Were talking high 1's, low 2's POP time. I had heard that he signed a letter of intent with Allyce Loyd College, is this true?
OMG Wrote:Sorry I forgot to add the other part to my post. Adams hit .423 I believe. So as far as their bat goes theres not much difference. Hayes maybe an advantage because of his experience, but Adams has the potential to surpass him after this year. Look, Hayes is the best in this particular region. That's all I was getting at. I think Adams is next in line and could end up being better than him if he puts in the work, and I hope he does. I think Adams is a great assest to Paintsville's team, and they will be relying on him a lot this year for big hits and run production. I wish Adams had a little more size on him, but if you work hard enough that shouldn't come into play anyway. They are both great catchers. I wish Hayes luck at Louisville, and I really hope Adams has a good year and leads Paintsville to the regional championship. He will certainly be a huge factor in their success.

Did you mention that Paintville had one of the weakest schedules in the 15th? I think anybody could record a .423 average with a schedule like that! Give Hayes credit Lawrence plays a tough schedule!!
Money Maker Wrote:Did you mention that Paintville had one of the weakest schedules in the 15th? I think anybody could record a .423 average with a schedule like that! Give Hayes credit Lawrence plays a tough schedule!!

You are exactly right Money Maker!
Triple Crown Wrote:You are exactly right Money Maker!

I also they think they are really even. Adams is very quick, and that alone puts over an edge, because Hayes is not that fast behind there. Hayes has the strong arm, but Adams has a quick release and by this time next year I think Adams will be better than Hayes. He is an all-around hitter and can go both ways, and has great bat control. I look for him to have a big year, as I also do Hayes. They are both really great to watch, but Hayes does have experience on his side.
PCCHS35 Wrote:I like PC's Bobby McKinney. He's got a good bat, quick to his feet, and a rocket arm. Were talking high 1's, low 2's POP time. I had heard that he signed a letter of intent with Allyce Loyd College, is this true?
I was waiting to see this topic come up, there is no way he is one of the top 5 in the region. He is an average catcher his frame work and foot work need A LOT of help also blocking the plate and not allowing balls to get past him. I would say he is on the level of 6 or 7 in the region. MAYBE AND THAT IS A BIG ONE. He does have a good bat, however he needs to get quicker on base running he is really slow.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I was waiting to see this topic come up, there is no way he is one of the top 5 in the region. He is an average catcher his frame work and foot work need A LOT of help also blocking the plate and not allowing balls to get past him. I would say he is on the level of 6 or 7 in the region. MAYBE AND THAT IS A BIG ONE. He does have a good bat, however he needs to get quicker on base running he is really slow.
Now i have to say he has got a WHOLE lot better from this year compared to last year...the best thing he has this year is blocking the ball...it is definitly one of his strengths..as far as arm strength...gotten a lot better but still needs a little tuning...
SpOrTsFaNaTiC711 Wrote:Now i have to say he has got a WHOLE lot better from this year compared to last year...the best thing he has this year is blocking the ball...it is definitly one of his strengths..as far as arm strength...gotten a lot better but still needs a little tuning...
Watched him play tonight he has gotten 10 times better at blocking the plate and the frame work was hard to tell b/c a lot of the pitches were outside and in dirt. His arm did not look much stronger and his bat was not as good as last season. Still don't think he can be considered one of the top catchers.