Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympic Boycott??
I for one am very much against any Olympic boycott PERIOD!!

Politics have no place in sports!! All a host country is in the Olympics is a venue for the world to play in. You can't plug politics into the Olympics because any country can find fault in any other country in the world if they want to look for it. All boycotts do is deny athletes who have trained very hard to reach greatness a chance to compete. That is the true tragic consequence of boycotts. What did the US and Russian boycotts accomplish back in the 80s? Nothing but harm the athletes.

I say, let the athletes compete and the politicians deal with the conflicts in other ways. I mean, China hardly has a sterling human rights record anyway, even without the Tibet issue, so why did the IOC even allow them to host it if countries aren't going to participate? Stupid IMO, but most things political do end up with stupid results.
i agree. And what's the point of putting the torch out? They'll just light it up again.
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:i agree. And what's the point of putting the torch out? They'll just light it up again.
Big Grin I like that one! Good point! Does anyone ever wonder where the protesters come from? I mean don't they have something better to do during the day like go to work or school? lol
I have wondered since I've heard of the boycott and that is why.Why are they boycotting the Olympics if anyone knows please tell me so I'm not so lost.
Dousing the Olympic flame gives voice to the Millions of Tibetans that have no voice. I don't support a boycott but I don't think Bush should attend.
DevilsWin Wrote:Dousing the Olympic flame gives voice to the Millions of Tibetans that have no voice. I don't support a boycott but I don't think Bush should attend.

I don't think dousing the Olympic flame gives a voice to anyone IMO. The Olympics are the Olympics and the Olympics shouldn't be subject to the political views of the particular host country at any given time. But I definitely agree with you that Bush should not attend. I think that is a way to make a statement. But let the games go on.........If we let politics into the Olympics then I guess we'll end up having the Olympics in Switzerland every 4 years! lol
Of course... The only thing that boycotting the Olympics is doing is robbing athletes and the USA of showing what hard work and determination can get you. These competitors have been working their whole life for this event and for the government to take a life long goal from them is wide of the mark. Boycotting the Russian Olympics did nothing but that. There are better ways of dealing with such issues, and, geeze, war isn't one of them.
I agree with you. Sports boycotts are not effective at all and war as anything but a last resort is not the best way either.