Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Top Ten Week Two
I went back and looked at everyones preseasons top ten. How about updates. Here's my. And give some reasons for you picks.
1.Paintsville-lots of talent
2.Lawence Co-Well coached enough talent
3.Johnson Central-region winner-but no field could mean trouble early on.
4.Belphy-Little league winners a few years ago-new field a plus.
5.Pike Central-I picked them as my sleeper team eariler, looks like they are for real.
6.Prestonsburg-really looks like they have a real coach.
7.Pikeville-History alone puts them this high.
8.Allen Central-Injuries will keep them down early.
9.Sheldon Clark-Coaching will have them higher by mid season.
10.Phelps- I like their young pitcher-stilner.
bad hop Wrote:I went back and looked at everyones preseasons top ten. How about updates. Here's my. And give some reasons for you picks.
1.Paintsville-lots of talent
2.Lawence Co-Well coached enough talent
3.Johnson Central-region winner-but no field could mean trouble early on.
4.Belphy-Little league winners a few years ago-new field a plus.
5.Pike Central-I picked them as my sleeper team eariler, looks like they are for real.
6.Prestonsburg-really looks like they have a real coach.
7.Pikeville-History alone puts them this high.
8.Allen Central-Injuries will keep them down early.
9.Sheldon Clark-Coaching will have them higher by mid season.
10.Phelps- I like their young pitcher-stilner.

This doesn't look bad. However, there are just minor changes to it that I would make. I agree with you abour Belfry, I think they are playing good right now, not yet up there with the top 2, but they are a #4 team. As for the #1 & #2 spots, I think they are interchangeable at this point. I think Paintsville really has the better team, and I think LC's schedule will help them out in the end, so who really knows with those two. Going on this week you have to have Pike Central there where they are. Surprising to say the least, but they have shown they can play this year. However, JC I think will come around by the end of the year and shock alot of non-believers. They are well-coached, and have enough talent to be in the top couple of spots by the end of the year, and I don't really think the loss the other night will hurt them at all. From there on out I think it could be anybody, but I am shocked that ER is not in there somewhere, I really think they will be top ten, maybe top 7 by the time its all said and done. Good List though.:Thumbs:
Well here is how i see it.

1. Lawrence County- Ton of talent and very well coached ( ranked 23rd in state )
2. Paintsville- Very good when Grimm is on the hill ( weak schedule )
3. Belfry- talented
4. Johnson Central- lost 2 best pitchers last season but Coach Hall will recover
5. Pike Central- dont know alot but seen where they beat Pikeville 11-2
6. East Ridge- hits the ball decent at times and play ok D
7. Magoffin- more experienced team
8. Pikeville- always seem to do fair
9. Allen Central- does well when they have Little
10. Sheldon Clark- always compete under Coach Hall
Money Maker Wrote:Well here is how i see it.

1. Lawrence County- Ton of talent and very well coached ( ranked 23rd in state )
3. Belfry- talented
4. Johnson Central- lost 2 best pitchers last season but Coach Hall will recover

Looks good but I would put sheldon clark in behind East ridge at this point...
Money Maker Wrote:Well here is how i see it.

3. Belfry- talented

good list!!
1. Paintsville
2. Lawrence Co
3. Johnson Central
4. Prestonsburg
5. Sheldon Clark
6. Pike Central
7. Pikeville
8. Belfry
9. East Ridge
10. Allen Central
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:1. Paintsville
2. Lawrence Co
3. Johnson Central
4. Prestonsburg
5. Sheldon Clark
6. Pike Central
7. Pikeville
8. Belfry
9. East Ridge
10. Allen Central

Really good list! I agree with you on pretty much all of them. I think Belfry may be able to move up a couple as they have been playing good to start the season.
Yeah, I agree on Belfry maybe gaining some later on, I am jus not sold on what they have returning, yet. The game tonite, if played, is one I will really be interested in. I'm pretty confident in my top 5, but the rest I am a little iffy on. All talk I have heard about ER has been good, maybe not alot of offense this year tho. Pikeville, I think once things get straightened out, they have talent that is gonna show thru. Pike Central, who knows what they've done. Surprised and glad to see they have started out well. AC, I know its been said a million times on here, but still think Little's unfortunate loss on the mound takes away what they were gonna be known for this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Yeah, I agree on Belfry maybe gaining some later on, I am jus not sold on what they have returning, yet. The game tonite, if played, is one I will really be interested in. I'm pretty confident in my top 5, but the rest I am a little iffy on. All talk I have heard about ER has been good, maybe not alot of offense this year tho. Pikeville, I think once things get straightened out, they have talent that is gonna show thru. Pike Central, who knows what they've done. Surprised and glad to see they have started out well. AC, I know its been said a million times on here, but still think Little's unfortunate loss on the mound takes away what they were gonna be known for this year.

I understand Belfry didn't finish last season very strong so they probably have a few more games before they will be able to jump up the rankings. I agree though, your top 5 looks pretty good.
2. Lawrence Co
3. Johnson Central
4. Prestonsburg
5. Sheldon Clark
6. Pike Central
7. Pikeville
8. Belfry
9. East Ridge
10. Allen Central

Prestonsburg shouldn't be above Pike Central or Sheldon Clark on this list.
Torch Wrote:Prestonsburg shouldn't be above Pike Central or Sheldon Clark on this list.

Well Prestonsburg beat Sheldon Clark 10-5 on Wednesday so IMO that gives them every right to be above them in the rankings. However, they haven't played PCC so just going on the way PCC opened up the season I would have them above P-burg.

P-burg above SC, but not PCC.
1. Lawrence County
2. Paintsville
3. Belfry
4. Johnson Central
5. Pike Central
6. Prestonsburg
7. Sheldon Clark
8. East Ridge
9. Pikeville
10. Allen Central
1)Lawrence County
2)Paintsville
3)Pike Central
4)Belfry
5)Prestonsburg
6)Johnson Central
7)Phelps
8)Pikeville
9)Sheldon Clark
10)Allen Central
blackcat_student Wrote:1)Lawrence County
2)Paintsville
3)Pike Central
4)Belfry
5)Prestonsburg
6)Johnson Central
7)Phelps
8)Pikeville
9)Sheldon Clark
10)Allen Central

Well that's the lowest i've seen JC ranked in a long time. I hope they can bounce back from a slow start, and still be atop the 57th.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Really good list! I agree with you on pretty much all of them. I think Belfry may be able to move up a couple as they have been playing good to start the season.
Johnson County/Floyd County Boys . Very Evident!!!!!!!
2. Lawrence Co
3. Johnson Central
4. Prestonsburg
5. Sheldon Clark
6. Pike Central
7. Pikeville
8. Belfry
9. East Ridge
10. Allen Central
"Johnson Co/ Floyd Co boys" Give Pike county some love, you guys are way off!!!!!
Kyle5_88 Wrote:"Johnson Co/ Floyd Co boys" Give Pike county some love, you guys are way off!!!!!
Come on, if ya gonna go around, quote 2 diff posts, and use the same argument for both, at least have stones to post your own Top 10, so we can see what kind of a factual argument ya have. And until some of those lower teams on my list continue to prove they can beat good competition on a regular basis, they will stay where they are. I will, tho, (so get ready...wouldnt want you to miss this...) admit Belfry is one of those teams I think has improved, after the wins earlier in the week and the win yesterday vs Sheldon Clark.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
blackcat_student Wrote:1)Lawrence County
2)Paintsville
3)Pike Central
4)Belfry
5)Prestonsburg
6)Johnson Central
7)Phelps
8)Pikeville
9)Sheldon Clark
10)Allen Central

You can obviously tell who keeps up with baseball and who doesn't.Smile
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You can obviously tell who keeps up with baseball and who doesn't.Smile

Whats so wrong with that list? Are you mad because I have Prestonsburg infront of Johnson Central?Confusedhh:
blackcat_student Wrote:Whats so wrong with that list? Are you mad because I have Prestonsburg infront of Johnson Central?Confusedhh:

No, I aint mad at nothing. It is totaly ridiculous though.

Aren't you also the one who not long ago said that Prestonsburg had two D1 players on their team. That in it's self speaks volumes about baseball knowledge.Big Grin
1) LC (the best without question)
2) Paintsville (right now lets see how the season goes)
3) Belfry ( at this point JC may not have shown there best)
4) JC (we will see)
5) Pikeville( looked pretty good)
6) Pike Central (based on wins)
7) Sheldon Clark ( fair question pitching if Horn is thier best)
8) Prestonsburg (Going on what I see on here)
The rest you guys can figure out !!!
I also wanna say it is 2008 not 2007 so as far as I am concerned last year means nothing so quit using it. All teams lost some. some lost alot. I am speaking on what I have seen. How about you guys o is it what you have seen or what you hear.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:No, I aint mad at nothing. It is totaly ridiculous though.

Aren't you also the one who not lond ago said that Prestonsburg had two D1 players on their team. That in it's self speaks volumes about baseball knowledge.Big Grin

But seriously what so wrong with my list? Johnson Central has only played two games, and lost one of them. Pikeville has gotten off to a slow start also. Lawrence, Paintsville, and Pike Central have come started of the season red hot. Belfry is quite surprising along with Prestonsburg. ****, Phelps hasn't even give up a run yet, there 2-0 with two very nice victories. So what don't I know?

And yes, I think that Bobby Hughes & Josh Rodebaugh are capable of going D1.
blackcat_student Wrote:But seriously what so wrong with my list? Johnson Central has only played two games, and lost one of them. Pikeville has gotten off to a slow start also. Lawrence, Paintsville, and Pike Central have come started of the season red hot. Belfry is quite surprising along with Prestonsburg. ****, Phelps hasn't even give up a run yet, there 2-0 with two very nice victories. So what don't I know?

And yes, I think that Bobby Hughes & Josh Rodebaugh are capable of going D1.
OK and you can base this on what???

You just go ahead and tell all of the attributes that each possess that make them D1 cabable. Please go in depth on what D1 colleges look for when evaluating players. Go ahead and give me some 60 times on each. What kind of 60 times do college coaches look for while your at it? Give me their arm strength readings when they go across the diamond or from the outfield in. What are accetables readings on that as well? What are their bat speeds, and while your at it give me some acceptable bat speed readings that are relevant to D1 baseball. What is the velocity that each would have off the mound? What is the MPH difference in their changeups compared to their fast ball. At what velocity does their breaking ball come in? How does that compare with their fastball as well. Do either or both possess a live arm?

Since you are well versed in player evaluation , I suspect it will only take a few short seconds to come up with answers to these questions.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:OK and you can base this on what???

You just go ahead and tell all of the attributes that each possess that make them D1 cabable. Please go in depth on what D1 colleges look for when evaluating players. Go ahead and give me some 60 times on each. What kind of 60 times do college coaches look for while your at it?Give me their arm strength readings when they go across the diamond or from the outfield in. What are their bat speeds, and while your at it give me some acceptable bat speed readings that are relevant to D1 baseball. What is the velocity that each would have off the mound? What is the MPH difference in their changeups compared to their fast ball. At what velocity does their breaking ball come in? How does that compare with their fastball as well. Do either or both possess a live arm?

Since you are well versed in player evaluation , I suspect it will only take a few short seconds to come up with answers to these questions.

Now you know that I cannot answer that, but I know what colleges have contacted them. So that must mean something.
blackcat_student Wrote:Now you know that I cannot answer that, but I know what colleges have contacted them. So that must mean something.

It means absolutely nothing at all. 99% of all the letters that colleges send out are form letters and a lot of kids are basicly put on a mailing list in an effort to entice those kids to come to the showcases and camps that each school may sponsor. It's called fund raising. Until you are actually involved or have been involved in the college recruitment process, you really dont know what to take serious, and what to not take serious.

I guess basicly what you are saying is that you spoke on things that you may not fully understand because you really dont know the criteria that is involved in playing D1 baseball, but you will root for your school and your classmates whether you really know what your talking about or not. Would that be a correct statement? I can guarantee you one thing, every question that I asked you is carefully considered and put into the equation of someone's ability to play at the college level.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:It means absolutely nothing at all. 99% of all the letters that colleges send out are form letters and a lot of kids are basicly put on a mailing list in an effort to entice those kids to come to the showcases and camps that each school may sponsor. It's called fund raising. Until you are actually involved or have been involved in the college recruitment process, you really dont know what to take serious, and what to not take serious.

I guess basicly what you are saying is that you spoke on things that you may not fully understand because you really dont know the criteria that is involved in playing D1 baseball, but you will root for your school and your classmates whether you really know what your talking about or not. Would that be a correct statement? I can guarantee you one thing, every question that I asked you is carefully considered and put into the equation of someone's ability to play at the college level.

:Thumbs:
I'm pretty sure almost no one on here knows what you are talking about Mr. Kimball. This is totally off subject. But what Blakcat_student is talking about the standings. He is correct. JC hasn't showed they can compete yet. Pikeville is struggling so they are farther down. You obvisouly don't follow baseball cause you havn't been seeing what Belfy and Pike Central are doing.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:OK and you can base this on what???

You just go ahead and tell all of the attributes that each possess that make them D1 cabable. Please go in depth on what D1 colleges look for when evaluating players. Go ahead and give me some 60 times on each. What kind of 60 times do college coaches look for while your at it? Give me their arm strength readings when they go across the diamond or from the outfield in. What are accetables readings on that as well? What are their bat speeds, and while your at it give me some acceptable bat speed readings that are relevant to D1 baseball. What is the velocity that each would have off the mound? What is the MPH difference in their changeups compared to their fast ball. At what velocity does their breaking ball come in? How does that compare with their fastball as well. Do either or both possess a live arm?

If you would be so kind to give answers to your questions. I think a lot of us would like to know.
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:I'm pretty sure almost no one on here knows what you are talking about Mr. Kimball. This is totally off subject. But what Blakcat_student is talking about the standings. He is correct. JC hasn't showed they can compete yet. Pikeville is struggling so they are farther down. You obvisouly don't follow baseball cause you havn't been seeing what Belfy and Pike Central are doing.

I can assure you he does follow baseball, and knows every answer to those questions. And you are right that most people on this site doesn't know the answers to these questions, but some of us do. If you, or if you have kids, who have ever been in the recruiting process you should know the answers to these questions. I wouldn't go as far to challenge what he knows about baseball if you admit yourself that you know nothing of what he is talking about. Anybody can find these answers out, if they have a search engine on their computer.

Belfry and Pike Central have came out red hot, and you have to give them credit for what they have done this far in the season, which is only a couple of games. That's what people need to realize, it's only a couple of games in the season. I'm not a fan of JC, but they have started off slowly due to the lack of practice they have had on their field. Which by the way is non-existent. How good do you think Belfry or PCC would be right now if they didn't have a field to practice on, and was having to use the gym for everyday drills. It's impossible. They will still finish in the top 3 in the 57th district.
blackcat_student Wrote::Thumbs:

I understand that you have to be loyal to P-burg, but to say these kids are D1 material is not accurate. They have been the best players on their team for a couple of years now, and that says a lot about their talent. They are very talented players, but they are simply to up to a D1 level. They would be a great fit for Alice Loyd, Berea, etc., but to say they could even play for Morehead is a stretch, and they are not even a good D1 school. I hope they have a great year, and I wish then luck on this season.