Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th in '09
While I agree Belfry might not be a top five team (right now), I think it'll be interesting to see how they develop this season. They have a lot of young talent and I think a few surprises. Yes, this year might not be the best year BHS has ever had, but it'll be a good showing of what's to come (especially Caitlin, Beth, Paige, Alex, Amy, etc). I just wouldn't count them out completely, especially since the move of Pruitt should ease the tension that was on that team last year.
Pikeville only lost 2 games at Transy team camp and beat Prestonsburg and Paintsville at Paintsville yesterday. They were without one starter too! She got a concussion at camp. People are overlooking them since they lost 5 seniors. They will be fun to watch!
Should be an interesting season in the 15th.
justme Wrote:While I agree Belfry might not be a top five team (right now), I think it'll be interesting to see how they develop this season. They have a lot of young talent and I think a few surprises. Yes, this year might not be the best year BHS has ever had, but it'll be a good showing of what's to come (especially Caitlin, Beth, Paige, Alex, Amy, etc). I just wouldn't count them out completely, especially since the move of Pruitt should ease the tension that was on that team last year.

How come everytime something is mentioned about Belfry there has to be a negative comment about Pruitt or Whitt, I mean Belfry DID win and BEAT teams when Pruitt was there and when they both played on the JV team I've heard it by many Belfry fans over and over again that they were never beat. So something has to be good about these girls.
And Paige? didn't she quit last year, why would she play this year?
These girls won't get far this year maybe come senior year IF they have a good coach they might go somewhere in the region.
uksports99 Wrote:How come everytime something is mentioned about Belfry there has to be a negative comment about Pruitt or Whitt, I mean Belfry DID win and BEAT teams when Pruitt was there and when they both played on the JV team I've heard it by many Belfry fans over and over again that they were never beat. So something has to be good about these girls.
These girls won't get far this year maybe come senior year IF they have a good coach they might go somewhere in the region.

Belfrys team is young this year and they might not get far but it has already been a 100% better then what it was last year.......
Should be a great season to watch.
uksports99 Wrote:How come everytime something is mentioned about Belfry there has to be a negative comment about Pruitt or Whitt, I mean Belfry DID win and BEAT teams when Pruitt was there and when they both played on the JV team I've heard it by many Belfry fans over and over again that they were never beat. So something has to be good about these girls.
Maybe they are a reason why everybody mentions her ina negative way. Maybe it might be a reason Thacker is back. Also from what I heard they added an assistant coach which will help tremendously in discipline. Belfry had cancers on the team last year and if you didn't see it and could tell who it was you didn't watch them. Hopefully the two that transfered will straighten up their act at Phelps, IMO they will have to in order to see the court.
Although the Belfry squad isnt loaded with talent, they have the opportunity to make some noise, as they gain experience. But better learn quick, the district will be brutal.
Belfry Wins Wrote:Maybe they are a reason why everybody mentions her ina negative way. Maybe it might be a reason Thacker is back. Also from what I heard they added an assistant coach which will help tremendously in discipline. Belfry had cancers on the team last year and if you didn't see it and could tell who it was you didn't watch them. Hopefully the two that transfered will straighten up their act at Phelps, IMO they will have to in order to see the court.
Although the Belfry squad isnt loaded with talent, they have the opportunity to make some noise, as they gain experience. But better learn quick, the district will be brutal.

Why did they young ladies transfer from Belfry? Are they eligible to play at Phelps next year?
OutsideLogic Wrote:Why did they young ladies transfer from Belfry? Are they eligible to play at Phelps next year?
They blamed it on the coach. And I guess they are eligible. Its a crazy mess. They originally planned on going to Burch W.Va when they left Belfry, but I guess they found Phelps a better place to be, which I can understand completely. The girls are originally from Matewan, both live in Matewan I think, but I am not sure, I know one does.
The girls have a world of talent (and I mean a world of talent) but attitude. I sat with a girl from away from here at a game once, she never watched Belfry in her life, but has a great knowledge of basketball. First thing she said was that girl (one of the girl transfering) would never step on the court if I was the coach.
The other girl who transfered will have no problem whatsoever with being eligible, she didn't play ball last season. She started off the year before, got injured very early for a bit, and didn't get to play much off the start due to lack of practices fromt he injry and quit.
Coach miller and Lady hornets have been looking good at summer league play.

Incoming freshman Nichole F looks really great this summer and will be hard to keep out of starting five.
MC #1 Wrote:Coach miller and Lady hornets have been looking good at summer league play.

Incoming freshman Nichole F looks really great this summer and will be hard to keep out of starting five.
Magoffin Co. is always good.
pike central will be #1 ad slone is an awsome ball player and it will be her year leading the hawks
Is Conley going to be able to play for JC this year after her injury in softball? If Conley doesn't play, it changes the whole picture for Johnson Central.
OutsideLogic Wrote:Is Conley going to be able to play for JC this year after her injury in softball? If Conley doesn't play, it changes the whole picture for Johnson Central.

I agree if she doesnt play it changes JC a lot. But last I heard she would be ready by season.
rallo316 Wrote:Magoffin Co. is always good.

They have been very good in the past but they struggled last season and they struggled this summer.
How did Magoffin do in the Raceland League? How did Boyd and Ashland look?
NIKE2010 Wrote:I agree if she doesnt play it changes JC a lot. But last I heard she would be ready by season.

Getting her back for basketball season would really be rushing her along. A tear like it is rumored for her to have takes a long time to heal.
NIKE2010 Wrote:They have been very good in the past but they struggled last season and they struggled this summer.
they went 17-7 this summer not to bad
OutsideLogic Wrote:Getting her back for basketball season would really be rushing her along. A tear like it is rumored for her to have takes a long time to heal.

I have been told that she is progressing very well and should be back in time for basketball season.
Sheldon Clark Underdog
Be A Surprise
Coach Rice Is An Excellent Coach
Jc Is Good Also
justme Wrote:While I agree Belfry might not be a top five team (right now), I think it'll be interesting to see how they develop this season. They have a lot of young talent and I think a few surprises. Yes, this year might not be the best year BHS has ever had, but it'll be a good showing of what's to come (especially Caitlin, Beth, Paige, Alex, Amy, etc). I just wouldn't count them out completely, especially since the move of Pruitt should ease the tension that was on that team last year.

is Thacker and Staten going to player? I have heard rumors of no and yes? If so that would help them, but they still wouldnt be in the top two teams in their district.
You can only be as good as your coach will let you be. This coach is only an offensive coach. She doesn't play any defense whatsoever! I watched her last year at the District tournament at Phelps, and the girl from Pike Central was shooting threes right and left and not one time did she put a girl in her face to stop her shooting. But again, she is a Pike Central graduate, so how hard is she going to work to stop them from winning? She made a statement at one of the tournaments, that she didn't have to play any defense when she played. The ball was always given to her to score. Pretty one sided if you ask me. In my opinion, she has brought the Belfry Girls basketball program down. I don't think they attended any camps this summer either. If you lost your top scorer to graduation and knew you had all new girls in the starting lineup, don't you think you should attend a camp or two to get the feel of how they will all play together? '

She's had several good assistants on her program, Keith May, David Copley, for example. Who is her assistant now?

I admire JR Vanhoose for helping one of his girls get a scholarship to play basketball. In her two years of coaching, she didn't help any of her girls get a scholarship. I guess she didn't think they were good enough.

Good luck to the Belfry girls, work hard together!
Does anyone really know yet since the season hasn't begun.
With ad slone and the those girls that transferred from pikeville they will be alot stronger then people think. Plus they have regan williams who will be seeing alot of action this year to give a ad and those other girls a break. But we will just have to wait and see how the season will start good luck pike central hope you have a great season.
I think the lady hawks will be just fine, It will be different this year without Kayla Lowe, But I think they have alot of talent left on the team, And when you add in Little Reagan , and Mia coleman they will help out the team alot,, them 2 girls have so much talent, they are ready for the presure, good luck to all the girls, I wish all of them the best and I hope they have a great year,
Hey are't your forgetting to mention some girls like jamie mullins, beth howell as well as regan williams kayla robinson murphy taylor etc. But i wish all the girls the best of luck this year.
3-pointer Wrote:Hey are't your forgetting to mention some girls like jamie mullins, beth howell as well as regan williams kayla robinson murphy taylor etc. But i wish all the girls the best of luck this year.

How am I leaving people out,I said the team still has lots of talent, I never said anybody on the team didn't, I think all the varsity has talent they all have something to offer the team, and I was only talking on Coleman and Clark because I think they will be good additions to the team, As for I guess you meant Taylor Murphy, I think she is cheering this yr again, But it would be great if she did play, She is really good at post and as a guard,But once again I will say Good Luck to all the Lady Hawks, Hope you have a great season.
[COLOR="Blue"]Well I think people just need to wait and see whats going to go on in the 15th you never no you may be suprised[/COLOR]
Who does Shelby Valley high on there team this year? what kind of production should we except from there post play?:letsparty