Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's better Bill Logan or Timmy Hayes
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I think you would have to throw Josh McKenzie in there as well. He had a great 6' 6" frame, great arm, and a good bat.
That is a good pick as well.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:That is a good pick as well.

There was also a kid that graduated in 2005 from Hazard that was really good. He went and played D1, but his name I am having trouble remembering right now.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:There was also a kid that graduated in 2005 from Hazard that was really good. He went and played D1, but his name I am having trouble remembering right now.
Your thinking of Chase Patrick. He is playing JUCO ball in Tennessee. From what I understand, many signs point to him being a member of the University of the Cumberlands squad next season. He was and is a very good catcher.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Your thinking of Chase Patrick. He is playing JUCO ball in Tennessee. From what I understand, many signs point to him being a member of the University of the Cumberlands squad next season. He was and is a very good catcher.

He is a tremendous player. I am not sure what happened, but the D1 didn't work out for him, and he went to JUCO. I am not sure if grades played a part or what, but all I know is Cumberland will get a heck of a catcher if he does decide to go there.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:He is a tremendous player. I am not sure what happened, but the D1 didn't work out for him, and he went to JUCO. I am not sure if grades played a part or what, but all I know is Cumberland will get a heck of a catcher if he does decide to go there.
You are one of the few that are able to realize that in baseball D1 doesn't always mean better.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You are one of the few that are able to realize that in baseball D1 doesn't always mean better.

A lot of times you get more recgonition there. Scouts know where to go to get the best prospects, and I am sure that most of them will say that the JUCO is just as infested with prospects as the D1 programs. Don't get me wrong there are some JUCO programs in which should never compete, but for the most part they are a really competitive league.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:That is a good pick as well.

6'6 is a little tall for a catcher i think
Bosox Fan Wrote:6'6 is a little tall for a catcher i think
What would that have anything to do with anything? Actually he might have been closer to 6'7".
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:What do you mean? Best ever in history? Well you have a lot of major leaguers to pick from. Let's see Yogi Bera, Johnny Bench, Pudge. Jorge Posada, etc. You can't tell me you think Timmy Hayes is better than these I mentioned.

Well someone is trying to be a regular smart butt arent they. Thats the reason threads get closed is because of comments that have nothing to do with the thread. If you want to talk about them start a thread in the pro forum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Mr.Kimball Wrote:One of the best that I have seen in this area the last few years was Charlie Collett, both arm and bat. Josh Adams did not have the greatest bat, but he and Collett completed changed an opposing teams philosophy about what to do when they're players reached base. Hayes is very good, but I have not seen anyone have to alter their game plans going against him, like coaches did when going up against the other two.

Well I know these are all from Lawrence Co but they have always had a way of producing great catchers.

Dave Wheeler - Played in the minors with the Reds
Jason Michaels - Went on to play college football but was a better baseball player.
Eric Parker - Starting at Morehead
Timmy Hayes - going to U of L
Those are just a few off the top of my head

And here are a few to look out for in the future:
Jordan Miller
Ramsey Compton.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Batpuff Wrote:Well someone is trying to be a regular smart butt arent they. Thats the reason threads get closed is because of comments that have nothing to do with the thread. If you want to talk about them start a thread in the pro forum.

What are you talking about? You plainly said "best ever." So I took that to mean, just what it said, "best ever." So that's what I said. If you meant just in the area you should have said so. Regardless it was still on topic so I don't know what you mean.

I don't know I have seen some catcher's that are too small, but I have never seen one that is too big. A big catcher that can move as good as McKenzie is ideal. He is so big of a target that strike that a normal catcher would have to reach for and frame, may be in perfect range for a big catcher to frame. I would take a tall stocky catcher over a small one any day. That is just me though everybody has their preferences.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:What would that have anything to do with anything? Actually he might have been closer to 6'7".

We had a 6 6 guy on my college team and they said that he was to slow getting all the way up....
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:What are you talking about? You plainly said "best ever." So I took that to mean, just what it said, "best ever." So that's what I said. If you meant just in the area you should have said so. Regardless it was still on topic so I don't know what you mean.

Is this the pro forum I dont think so.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Batpuff Wrote:Is this the pro forum I dont think so.

Hey Batpuff , give this one a rest. Rabbit was well in line to ask what he asked in his post. It was a dumb question to start with in how it was phrased. You're always telling everybody to not be a smart butt. You might want to consider how you are coming across yourself.
Batpuff Wrote:Is this the pro forum I dont think so.

No, I don't think there are any professionals on this site that I know of.
back to the topic Timmy hayes is better Hands down!
Batpuff Wrote:Well I know these are all from Lawrence Co but they have always had a way of producing great catchers.

Dave Wheeler - Played in the minors with the Reds
Jason Michaels - Went on to play college football but was a better baseball player.
Eric Parker - Starting at Morehead
Timmy Hayes - going to U of L
Those are just a few off the top of my head

And here are a few to look out for in the future:
Jordan Miller
Ramsey Compton.
Is Ramsey related to the other Compton boy that played there a while back?
Godspeed Wrote:Is Ramsey related to the other Compton boy that played there a while back?

To be honest I couldnt tell you if he is or not. And your talking about Michael?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hayes no question the best
Could someone provide some stats on the two catcher for this season. Bill Logan was batting last week around .467 Hayes?
CleanupMan Wrote:Could someone provide some stats on the two catcher for this season. Bill Logan was batting last week around .467 Hayes?

Bill is right around .450 and has 7 home runs
Bosox Fan Wrote:Bill is right around .450 and has 7 home runs

Wow! Those are some good numbers. Were all of his homeruns legitamate? I know some ball fields may have small fields, were most of his at home though?
Batpuff Wrote:To be honest I couldnt tell you if he is or not. And your talking about Michael?
Yes, I'm pretty sure he's still at Cincy playing for the Bearcats.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Wow! Those are some good numbers. Were all of his homeruns legitamate? I know some ball fields may have small fields, were most of his at home though?

I can not really be sure on all of them, i have seen three of his 7, all 3 at greenup, and one of those would have been out of any park even majors, it was at least 390 to the left center gap.... I also know he hit one out in florida where the smallest fence is 330, so most of them are legit.
Godspeed Wrote:Yes, I'm pretty sure he's still at Cincy playing for the Bearcats.

If you are talking about Michael Compton, he never did play for Cincinnati. Stevie Blevins is the one who went to UC, but he transferred to Marshall this season.

Michael went to Georgetown and played for two seasons and then transferred to UK this year. He tried to walk on at UK , but was cut in the tryouts. He was one of the last to be cut , however.

Michael has no brothers.

Having spent some time with several college coaches at several different levels...from KIAC to D1 and watching them teach catching and evaluate catchers, I've never heard any of them say anyone was too large to catch. One of the guys I respect most as far as catcher instruction is Coach Tom Griffin of Carson-Newman and I noticed that his catching staff varies in height considerably. I know he talks about POP time, blocking & framing. He does talk about building your body to be able to withstand the physical demands of this position but have never heard him discuss height. I'd say POP times, blocking and footwork outweight size!