Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gary Hammonds to resign?
I heard that Coach Hammonds announced to his present players that this would be his last season. Does anyone know if this is true?
I heard the same thing from a player today. So, Hammonds is retiring after this season. It won't be the same.
How long has he been coaching?
I dont blame him if he does though.
There's more to this than meets the eye. Something big is happening. Just wait for it.
Jeter_theman Wrote:There's more to this than meets the eye. Something big is happening. Just wait for it.

??? Is Arod gonna come coach during his stint on the DL?
Hammonds doesnt want te retire by any stretch the ad has been wanting him out for years . how do they evaluate the teams progress when either the ad or principal have been to any of the baseball games this is a bunch of bull!!!
baseballisthekey Wrote:Hammonds doesnt want te retire by any stretch the ad has been wanting him out for years . how do they evaluate the teams progress when either the ad or principal have been to any of the baseball games this is a bunch of bull!!!

Spin it how you want, but Knott County Baseball has been terrible for the past 7 years or so. 2-22 this year? That would make me want to resign as well.
One thing's for sure...Things won't be the same without the ole red-headed stranger in the 3rd base box.
I would love to know what was said from the boys to Mrs. King. Is Hammonds not coaching baseball or are the boys just not performing? Are there just not any baseball players @ KCC anymore? What is the real problem? Could someone that has a true insight on the whole perspective comment?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:??? Is Arod gonna come coach during his stint on the DL?

Why yes, yes he is. And you're a respectable part of your community. Now on to what's real and not fiction.

Yes, they are wanting Hammonds out. The AD doesn't like him and the AD runs the school. What the AD hasn't seen is that Hammonds has been working with a great bunch of boys that are young and haven't played baseball since Little League. They are beginning to look better and better. They played Leslie tough, beat Cordia, and before the game was called last night were playing with Buckhorn. The score before the game was called was 4-3. I believe that Knott has 1 senior, 2 juniors and the rest are sophomores and freshman.

And the reason the baseball program has been down is because they can only get 12-15 players to tryout. While basketball gets 20+ and football gets there fair share of kids to tryout. Why? Because the "respected" basketball and football coaches tell their kids that if they go out to play baseball they will not play for them. The AD let's this go on. He is the one that needs to resign. My opinion is, is that he wants the baseball program gone. He doesn't want money going into it. He wants it all to go to basketball. And I am not the only one that suspects that this is true. There are some "higher ups" that feel the same way. The AD is a complete and udder jerk and only cares about his son's gain, not the school's. I'm off of my :mad: .
Jeter_theman Wrote:Why yes, yes he is. And you're a respectable part of your community. Now on to what's real and not fiction.

Yes, they are wanting Hammonds out. The AD doesn't like him and the AD runs the school. What the AD hasn't seen is that Hammonds has been working with a great bunch of boys that are young and haven't played baseball since Little League. They are beginning to look better and better. They played Leslie tough, beat Cordia, and before the game was called last night were playing with Buckhorn. The score before the game was called was 4-3. I believe that Knott has 1 senior, 2 juniors and the rest are sophomores and freshman.

And the reason the baseball program has been down is because they can only get 12-15 players to tryout. While basketball gets 20+ and football gets there fair share of kids to tryout. Why? Because the "respected" basketball and football coaches tell their kids that if they go out to play baseball they will not play for them. The AD let's this go on. He is the one that needs to resign. My opinion is, is that he wants the baseball program gone. He doesn't want money going into it. He wants it all to go to basketball. And I am not the only one that suspects that this is true. There are some "higher ups" that feel the same way. The AD is a complete and udder jerk and only cares about his son's gain, not the school's. I'm off of my :mad: .

Buddy learn to take a joke. It does sound like the AD is making a mistake. If Hammonds doesn't want no part of it and decides to resign that's one thing, but they shouldn't try and run him off. He has been there and coached for a long time and is a very respected person among the sports people in Kentucky. It would be a shame to get rid of somebody like that, but if the AD is like what you say he is then he might not have a choice.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Buddy learn to take a joke. It does sound like the AD is making a mistake. If Hammonds doesn't want no part of it and decides to resign that's one thing, but they shouldn't try and run him off. He has been there and coached for a long time and is a very respected person among the sports people in Kentucky. It would be a shame to get rid of somebody like that, but if the AD is like what you say he is then he might not have a choice.

I took it. Just dishing out a little. No biggey.

The AD is at every basketball game and at every football game. In the past 3-4 years he has maybe been to 2-3 ballgames. Those being district games at Knott and when Hammonds was getting congratulated for his 500th win. Other than that, he's a no show. He's bad for Knott County HS sports. A good replacement for him would be Jamie Couch. Couch is at every basketball game, every football game, and at most baseball games when the softball team has a day off.
Jeter_theman Wrote:I took it. Just dishing out a little. No biggey.

The AD is at every basketball game and at every football game. In the past 3-4 years he has maybe been to 2-3 ballgames. Those being district games at Knott and when Hammonds was getting congratulated for his 500th win. Other than that, he's a no show. He's bad for Knott County HS sports. A good replacement for him would be Jamie Couch. Couch is at every basketball game, every football game, and at most baseball games when the softball team has a day off.

That's fine, but have a little more class when you dish it out next time. It sounds like they need to get him out of there regardless whether or not Hammonds leaves. To be honest I think he is on the verge of retiring anyway, and I wouldn't blame him with the shambles that school and sports system is up there.
Jeter_theman Wrote:Why yes, yes he is. And you're a respectable part of your community. Now on to what's real and not fiction.

You could not be more off base. What AD would want to shut down the baseball program? Hammonds should be able to call it a careere when he wants to, hes earned that though. Looking at the records KCC has fell on some hard times in baseball maybe they should make a little easier schedule and rebuild.
Since Hammonds RESIGNED, who would be a good replacement?? Cavenaugh Trent? Jamie Couch? Chris Amburgey? Anyone have ideas?
Dawggie Wrote:Since Hammonds RESIGNED, who would be a good replacement?? Cavenaugh Trent? Jamie Couch? Chris Amburgey? Anyone have ideas?

When did he resign?
I have heard rfom someone who might know a thing or 2 about the position, that Jamie Couch would be the frontrunner. So is Hammonds finishing out the year @ KCC?
Here's the thing guys, Hammonds isn't resigning on his own. He was forced to resign. He'll finish out the season. The school administration has sent Couch to watch ballgames to see where the program is. That's kind of a conflict of interest, if you ask me. A possible replacement for head coach is sent to check on the program? Something smells fishy to me. What bothers me is that the AD has been to a total of 3-4 ballgames in the past few years. He doesn't know squat about the program and prbably couldn't tell you who's on the team. Yet you see his ugly mug on the sidelines, in the way I might add, at all the basketball games. And he and the principal are at all the football games. never seen at the baseball games. It's pure stupidity on the school board's part to allow this to go on. New superintendent same ol' s***.

And the thing about the AD wanting to get rid of the baseball program, is, IMHO, truth. He thinks it takes away from the basketball program. The school wouldn't have to put anymore money into it and thus, be able to funnel more money into the basketball program, which gets more than it's fair share.
Im not sure if anything fishy is up. Couch just likes baseball and wants to see the boys play. I dont think anyone has sent him up to watch. I think he is interested in coaching in the future and maybe he thinks his shot will be next season, since Hammonds did resign, and just wants to see what he may have to work with. I dont think he wants to see Hammonds ran off. He played for him and respects him, I know that for a fact. Some of you people who think you know whats going on, need to get some facts, instead of guessing and acting like you know it all.
Golden Nugget Wrote:Im not sure if anything fishy is up. Couch just likes baseball and wants to see the boys play. I dont think anyone has sent him up to watch. I think he is interested in coaching in the future and maybe he thinks his shot will be next season, since Hammonds did resign, and just wants to see what he may have to work with. I dont think he wants to see Hammonds ran off. He played for him and respects him, I know that for a fact. Some of you people who think you know whats going on, need to get some facts, instead of guessing and acting like you know it all.

Now this sounds a little more reasonable than what I have been hearing.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Now this sounds a little more reasonable than what I have been hearing.

I agree with you.
I know exactly what's going on. And it is what it is.
You know nothing about what is going on. Just wait and see.
Cavenagh Trent - Just wait and see.
Dawggie Wrote:Cavenagh Trent - Just wait and see.

The same guy that is an assistant at LCC?
Trent is the assistant at LCC. He is also interested in the boys basketball position. He's related to the present superintendent. POLITICS.......................
It would be a shame to hire Trent over Couch. Couch has waited for this opportunity for years. Both will be good coaches, though. Is there any other possibilites for the job?
BlackKnight8 Wrote:Spin it how you want, but Knott County Baseball has been terrible for the past 7 years or so. 2-22 this year? That would make me want to resign as well.

This may be true. Yeah our record is bad but it is not just the baseball teams record that is bad look at the football record it was alot worse. The record that KCC has may make some coaches want to resign but the thing is Coach Hammonds doesnt want to resign. He is being forced into it. There is alot more behind this story that some people may not know. All I know is that the boys he has playing right now are extremely upset because he is leaving.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I would love to know what was said from the boys to Mrs. King. Is Hammonds not coaching baseball or are the boys just not performing? Are there just not any baseball players @ KCC anymore? What is the real problem? Could someone that has a true insight on the whole perspective comment?

The boys pretty much said they didnt want to see Hammonds gone and some of them said they would not participate in the program if he was gone. They also said that he should have the choice to stay or go because he is being forced out. The thing with our team is that we are very young we start 5 freshmans and the rest are sophmores and juniors. We have come along way this year and have improved tremendously and everyone is extremely upset about this. It's bull.
From KHSAA.org since 2002 (as far back as full schedules go)

KCC

2002 7-19 Lost in first round of district
2003 3-14 District Runner-up, Lost in first round of region
2004 10-27 District Runner-up, Lost in first round of region
2005 17-22 District Champ, Lost in second round of region
2006 12-21 District Runner-up, Lost in first round of region
2007 8-19 Lost in First Round of District
2008 2-23 ?

Total 59-145 29% winning percentage One district title