Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How About Them Red Devils?
I believe that Martino has ran off quite a few kids that would have tremendously helped the program instead of developing the program it has went down hill this is obviously not a baseball school but i mean wow how can we be that bad at baseball?
RedDevil_TE Wrote:I believe that Martino has ran off quite a few kids that would have tremendously helped the program instead of developing the program it has went down hill this is obviously not a baseball school but i mean wow how can we be that bad at baseball?

You must have some insight, seeing your screen name. Ok, other than expecting a high moral behavior on and off the field and requiring players to be passing their classes, what has he done to run off the players? Can you give us some examples.

I know there are quite a few players who are no longer playing that could tremendously help the team, but I would like to see some things the coach has done to run the players off. From what I've seen, the players left due to a lack of discipline, not being able to accept having to earn playing time or not wanting to accept tough moral guidance.

I don't see where the ball club has gone down hill since Martino came aboard. Let's see,

Pre Martino Years
2002 = 9-9
(they played 18 stinking games!)
2003 = 15-15
2004 = 13-20
2005 = 12-13

Martino Years
2006 = 25-13
2007 = 15-15
2008 = currently 11-14

And, how can they be that bad at baseball? See my previous points. It is up to the players to develop themselves by dedicating themselves to improving their BASEBALL skills, since the high school coach is being told to not provide the opportunities for the players. Most do not, so this is what you get, being bad at baseball.
Sponge Bob Wrote:You must have some insight, seeing your screen name. Ok, other than expecting a high moral behavior on and off the field and requiring players to be passing their classes, what has he done to run off the players? Can you give us some examples.

I know there are quite a few players who are no longer playing that could tremendously help the team, but I would like to see some things the coach has done to run the players off. From what I've seen, the players left due to a lack of discipline, not being able to accept having to earn playing time or not wanting to accept tough moral guidance.

I don't see where the ball club has gone down hill since Martino came aboard. Let's see,

Pre Martino Years
2002 = 9-9
(they played 18 stinking games!)
2003 = 15-15
2004 = 13-20
2005 = 12-13

Martino Years
2006 = 25-13
2007 = 15-15
2008 = currently 11-14

And, how can they be that bad at baseball? See my previous points. It is up to the players to develop themselves by dedicating themselves to improving their BASEBALL skills, since the high school coach is being told to not provide the opportunities for the players. Most do not, so this is what you get, being bad at baseball.

He has taken the fun out of baseball, its not the discipline that made the players decide to quit the game of baseball. its pointless to play baseball when its not fun to you anymore if you dont love something anymore then you will not succeed and continue to better yourself becuase you do not want too. And martino has done exactly that for many baseball players at Russell high school. Many players only play because their parents make them.
Okay I will keep it short.
We do not have the facilities to accomodate baseball teams at Russell in the little league. We can not get practice time due to no fields being available. We need a NEW facility if we want to see the improvement. We have three fields in little league. AA field- t-ball to minor softball to AA pitching machine baseball. MINOR LEAGUE FIELD- all girls major softball and minor league baseball. MAJOR LEAGUE FIELD- minor league baseball and all major baseball teams. The Russell YMCA field also has games and practices there too, but it is limited by size for major league and by accomodations- no running water or toilets.
Where is the practice space----NONE !!!

The CITY needs to invest in a new facility.!!!!!
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
RedDevil_TE Wrote:He has taken the fun out of baseball, its not the discipline that made the players decide to quit the game of baseball. its pointless to play baseball when its not fun to you anymore if you dont love something anymore then you will not succeed and continue to better yourself becuase you do not want too. And martino has done exactly that for many baseball players at Russell high school. Many players only play because their parents make them.

Alright, there is a good answer. I respect your opinion there. This may be true. I'm not sure. I'm curious though what Martino has done to take the fun away. I saw Morris coach at Russell for years and I guarantee he was not a fun person to play for. Anyone remember a certain catcher they had who was ALWAYS being yelled at? I also bet Randy Keeton, Ben Maynard, Jodie Hamilton, etc. are "fun" to play for.

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate it 100%, but I think too many times, players lose the desire to play on their own, and then blame the coach. I think to be successful in high school sports, players need to be 100% committed internally. Then, seeing their own improvement and success, they have "fun". If the player doesn't really want to play anymore, and then the coach gets on them or makes them earn playing time, etc, then it's easy to say "the coach took the fun out of it". No, the coach didn't, the player did by not being motivated!

I've worked enough jobs in my life to see this play out after sports. If I HATE my job, then almost anytime my boss tells me to do something/does something I don't like, then I hate him and he's the reason I quit. In all actuality, he's just there and I already want to quit. If I LOVE my job and the boss is a jerk, then I still love my job, do it to my fullest, like doing it, and I just tolerate the jerk. It works this way in sports too.

Also, I'm not trying to pester you about your point, but in a nice way, can you give me some examples of things you believe he has done to take the fun away? He may have, so I'm just curious.
Sponge Bob Wrote:Alright, there is a good answer. I respect your opinion there. This may be true. I'm not sure. I'm curious though what Martino has done to take the fun away. I saw Morris coach at Russell for years and I guarantee he was not a fun person to play for. Anyone remember a certain catcher they had who was ALWAYS being yelled at? I also bet Randy Keeton, Ben Maynard, Jodie Hamilton, etc. are "fun" to play for.

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate it 100%, but I think too many times, players lose the desire to play on their own, and then blame the coach. I think to be successful in high school sports, players need to be 100% committed internally. Then, seeing their own improvement and success, they have "fun". If the player doesn't really want to play anymore, and then the coach gets on them or makes them earn playing time, etc, then it's easy to say "the coach took the fun out of it". No, the coach didn't, the player did by not being motivated!

I've worked enough jobs in my life to see this play out after sports. If I HATE my job, then almost anytime my boss tells me to do something/does something I don't like, then I hate him and he's the reason I quit. In all actuality, he's just there and I already want to quit. If I LOVE my job and the boss is a jerk, then I still love my job, do it to my fullest, like doing it, and I just tolerate the jerk. It works this way in sports too.
Also, I'm not trying to pester you about your point, but in a nice way, can you give me some examples of things you believe he has done to take the fun away? He may have, so I'm just curious.

This is the best analogy I have heard in this thread.
There is too much to read in this thread, it takes a freakin hour to get through one post. I am done with this argument. If anybody wants to keep it short I would love to continue it, but it's aggrevating seeing how long everyone's posts are.
Sorry, I can be a blowhard. I'll keep my post brief from now on.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:There is too much to read in this thread, it takes a freakin hour to get through one post. I am done with this argument. If anybody wants to keep it short I would love to continue it, but it's aggrevating seeing how long everyone's posts are.

I am sorry to disagree but I feel that spongebob has given his opinion in a clear, concise and articulate manner. Sure they are long posts but if that is what it takes to get his point across then more power to him. He has many valid points and to my knowledge there is no word per post limit.

Sponge Bob Wrote:Sorry, I can be a blowhard. I'll keep my post brief from now on.

Feel free to continue to post in the manner you have. As long as it stays within the rules then there is no problem with the length of posts.
Sponge Bob Wrote:Alright, there is a good answer. I respect your opinion there. This may be true. I'm not sure. I'm curious though what Martino has done to take the fun away. I saw Morris coach at Russell for years and I guarantee he was not a fun person to play for. Anyone remember a certain catcher they had who was ALWAYS being yelled at? I also bet Randy Keeton, Ben Maynard, Jodie Hamilton, etc. are "fun" to play for.

That was quite a nice post you had there, when you were talking about jobs and relating them to baseball I understand that to a point but mabye im just being a teenager your job is the income baseball is for high school. Also Coach Morris i believe would have been a great coach, might not have been fun but i would love it he is intense and is a great guy, and would do anything for one of his players. Martino doesnt have the intesity there at all. But he is a great guy off the field.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Okay I will keep it short.
We do not have the facilities to accomodate baseball teams at Russell in the little league. We can not get practice time due to no fields being available. We need a NEW facility if we want to see the improvement. We have three fields in little league. AA field- t-ball to minor softball to AA pitching machine baseball. MINOR LEAGUE FIELD- all girls major softball and minor league baseball. MAJOR LEAGUE FIELD- minor league baseball and all major baseball teams. The Russell YMCA field also has games and practices there too, but it is limited by size for major league and by accomodations- no running water or toilets.
Where is the practice space----NONE !!!

The CITY needs to invest in a new facility.!!!!!
I agree with most of what you have said so far in this thread. The little league is in pretty good shape right now execpt for the lack of a fields for practice. Also agree about some kids being there that just don't care. Too many are just there because their parents make them play or just to socialize. Some really care about competing but sadly alot do not and that waters down league play IMO.

Our major team is a good example. Some good athletes but no consistancy due to lack of repetition through practice.

Spongebob is right. The offense at Russell has not been the problem. Part of the problem to me is that kids don't really learn to pitch until they are 13. With little league rules a pitcher never has to learn to pitch from a stretch and hold runners on. It is a whole new game when most of these kids move up to Babe Ruth or one of the high school teams.
Thanks FBALL. we hardly agree on anything. so either I must have been honest or you are getting as old as me... NAW you are never as old as me and you would not let me forget it. HAHAHAHA
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I know that the high school owns that large piece of empty land there next to the high school and are keeping it for a future high school. Do you think there is any way they'd let the little league use it for a practice field? To my knowledge, they are letting the JFL use it. All it would take would be a little fencing.
Sponge Bob Wrote:I know that the high school owns that large piece of empty land there next to the high school and are keeping it for a future high school. Do you think there is any way they'd let the little league use it for a practice field? To my knowledge, they are letting the JFL use it. All it would take would be a little fencing.
Some teams do use it. Usually the young kids, TBall and some AA. The lack of fences makes it awkward for baseball. The only real baseball field available for practice is the old YMCA field.
Midee1 Wrote:I am sorry to disagree but I feel that spongebob has given his opinion in a clear, concise and articulate manner. Sure they are long posts but if that is what it takes to get his point across then more power to him. He has many valid points and to my knowledge there is no word per post limit.

I never once said that he didn't give a good opinion. I think he has made several good points. All I was saying is that it is my own personal choice not to want to read it because it was so long. He has the right to write however much he wants and I also have the right not to read it if I don't choose. All I was doing was stating that I wasn't going to go through reading all of it anymore, or continuing the discussion because I am usually stretched for time when I get on here as it is. And I don't think I broke any rules by saying that either, so I don't know why you decided to use that as an opportunity to get a smart alec comment in.

i agree with you 100% i love the game and thats why i always have played every game with 110% thats why i still play and i agree with you on the coaches part. if we had hamilton or others coaching here we wouldnt have a baseball team any more..and i say this because some kids on this team wont let themselves be coached.......and that puts a whole other aspect into this. im just saying if that some kids quit playing for themselves and stats and started playing FOR THE TEAM then we wouldnt be here arguing about martino this and martino that..
russelldevils54 Wrote:i agree with you 100% i love the game and thats why i always have played every game with 110% thats why i still play and i agree with you on the coaches part. if we had hamilton or others coaching here we wouldnt have a baseball team any more..and i say this because some kids on this team wont let themselves be coached.......and that puts a whole other aspect into this. im just saying if that some kids quit playing for themselves and stats and started playing FOR THE TEAM then we wouldnt be here arguing about martino this and martino that..

Okay, mabye you all are right, mabye kids have lost the love of the game that so many kids endure through childhood. When you get into high school alot of kids focus all their time and talent down to one sport. And it is looking at the future if your going to try and go to the next level you need to work. And on the other hand its the kid not wanting to do it and deal with it any more for one reason or another. So what it all boils down too is the kids and whether they really still have "The Love For The Game." But it is some the coach also i believe that if it were a different coach then it would be a better Russell Baseball Club.

If we still had Hamilton then we would be a decent if not good baseball school. Look what he did for Boyd County. many people said he was a butt about his baseball players, he alwayse made them have a curfue and other restrictions. But i agree with that, I think that he is just looking out for his players and trying to get the most he can out of them....But hey im done with this argument because all it is turning into is one mans word against the others and its just kind of point less.. so no matter how much you think you are right you may not be its just opinions. many people are very opintionated, as to what has happend with their past occurenses with a coach. Lets just let this thread go.