Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 7 Paintsville 4 (57TH District Tourney)
I watched the first inning and had to leave and it was 1 to 0 tigers. Then JC plays small ball.

Tigers fought back but come up just shot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Two years in a row beating their ace! Thank God for basketball and Bill Mike!
I really thought the Tigers would come out a winner in this game. After last year I really thought Paintsville would be more hungry to avenge the loss. I think they were, but I think they whole season took a toll on them, but they handled it real well. Congrats Eagles. Keep your head high Tigers!
Gator Wrote:Two years in a row beating their ace! Thank God for basketball and Bill Mike!
What does BMR/basketball have to do with JC beating Paintsville in baseball??
So this was the first round and Paintsville is done? Big Congrats to J.C.!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:So this was the first round and Paintsville is done? Big Congrats to J.C.!

Yep, one and done for the second year in a row.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I really thought the Tigers would come out a winner in this game. After last year I really thought Paintsville would be more hungry to avenge the loss. I think they were, but I think they whole season took a toll on them, but they handled it real well. Congrats Eagles. Keep your head high Tigers!

Not really sure the adversities the Tigers faced this season, but I don't think it could top what the JC team has had to face this year. No field to practice or play on. Every game on the road with many nights not getting home till 1 or 2 am on school nights.
I personally never had a doubt that the Eagles could beat the Tigers tonight and just want to congratulate them for never giving up!!

Congrats to the Tigers on a good season and best of luck to Shane with his college career!
Congrats to the Eagles. They shelled Grimm all night long. Grimm didn't pitch very well at all, he seemed to get himself in trouble by not having any command and didn't seem to throw very hard tonight. Why didn't they throw Austin Lyons?
20/20 Wrote:Not really sure the adversities the Tigers faced this season, but I don't think it could top what the JC team has had to face this year. No field to practice or play on. Every game on the road with many nights not getting home till 1 or 2 am on school nights.
I personally never had a doubt that the Eagles could beat the Tigers tonight and just want to congratulate them for never giving up!!

Congrats to the Tigers on a good season and best of luck to Shane with his college career!

There is no doubt that played a role in JC's overall record..They should be congratulated as well for overcoming everything they had thrown against them as well.
Congrats to JC! I know that both teams have had their adversities, but that has nothing to do with this game. Anyone that thinks they knew for sure who would win is just bragging after the fact. Truth is that either team could've won this game. Grimm just didn't pitch well and JC won it. Believe it or not it is just that simple. The Tiger bats have not impressed me the past few games. Tonight it was both pitching and bats. So the Tigers are done! That's the way it goes. Good luck to the Eagles in the Region and I hope they do well!!
Conley comes through with a tremendous game pitching as well as a crucial three run double, well see more of this kid as he is only a junior!!!!
bball fan Wrote:What does BMR/basketball have to do with JC beating Paintsville in baseball??
I may be wrong, but I think the statement is in reference to Bill Mike shutting down the baseball teams's off season conditioning all for the sake of the basketball team.
Congrats to JC on the victory tonight. IMO the Tigers were out coached...when Coach Hall bunted them to death in the 4th inning (may have been 3rd) was the determining factor. I felt he did a great job in taking advantage of the Tigers' speed, or lack there of, on the corners and used it to get several men on base/scoring position which also helped lead Grimm into a high pitch count. To say that JC shelled Grimm all night is not the case, he threw 3 solid innings but when they got 3 or 4 bunt hits he started leaving his ball (due to fatigue) up a little bit and that's when JC started pounding the ball....Best of luck to JC throughout the tournament and also best of luck to the Paintsville seniors in all future endevors.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I may be wrong, but I think the statement is in reference to Bill Mike shutting down the baseball teams's off season conditioning all for the sake of the basketball team.

that's exactly the reference and I for one am tired of fighting an uphill battle every year just so my kid can attempt to lead a team whom is not leadable to post season play..... the politics suck.....I hope for college baseball and a quick graduation.....and I wish the kids whoom want to play baseball for the tigers were not always faced with this situation.......but as it is hopefully we will move on I hope my son will be a better player for it.....
I think the Tigers were out-coached again ........for the third year in a row.

Coach Howard blew the regional championship game 2 years ago, the district last year and this year. It should be obvious when something isn't working, you can't keep using it.

Notice how easily the Eagles were able to steal on Grimm.....not Grimm's fault, just good coaching by the Eagles.
Bunting at just the right time and place.....that's good coaching by the Eagles.

I really feel sorry for the kids that have played for the Tigers over the past 3 years, they have had great talent (most of the time, the best talent in the region), but have failed to reach the next level. You must look at that and put most of the blame, not on the players, but on the head coach.

Good luck to the senior tigers who will graduate this year, hope their college careers include some baseball, and I hope they do well.

I also hope the returning Tigers can get something going next year. Obviously they will not be nearly as talented as a whole, as they have been in previous years, but hopefully Lyons, Butcher, Zach V., and the others can keep the Tiger name respectful.
state 1 Wrote:I think the Tigers were out-coached again ........for the third year in a row.

Coach Howard blew the regional championship game 2 years ago, the district last year and this year. It should be obvious when something isn't working, you can't keep using it.

Notice how easily the Eagles were able to steal on Grimm.....not Grimm's fault, just good coaching by the Eagles.
Bunting at just the right time and place.....that's good coaching by the Eagles.

I really feel sorry for the kids that have played for the Tigers over the past 3 years, they have had great talent (most of the time, the best talent in the region), but have failed to reach the next level. You must look at that and put most of the blame, not on the players, but on the head coach.

Good luck to the senior tigers who will graduate this year, hope their college careers include some baseball, and I hope they do well.

I also hope the returning Tigers can get something going next year. Obviously they will not be nearly as talented as a whole, as they have been in previous years, but hopefully Lyons, Butcher, Zach V., and the others can keep the Tiger name respectful.
Whoa here now. How is it Tucker's fault that JC was able to steal bases?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Whoa here now. How is it Tucker's fault that JC was able to steal bases?

I didn't actually say it was Howard's fault that they were able to steal, but that it was good coaching by the Eagles to observe things that might allow for easy stealing and putting runners in scoring position. Don't you agree they stole pretty easily?

But if you want to look at it that way, Howard should have realized and eliminated the same indicators that the Eagles coaching staff picked up on. So part of the blame could be put on him.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Whoa here now. How is it Tucker's fault that JC was able to steal bases?

Yea I am not sure, but I do know that Grimm doesn't like to throw over to first base and he very rarely does. Whenever you have a coach who can capiltalize on other teams mistakes like Hall(shawn) can you can win. He was going on first movement for most of the game, and some of JC's slower runners were able to steal off of one of the better catchers in the region. It was just good coaching on JC's part, and a bad adjustment on Paintsville's.
state 1 Wrote:I didn't actually say it was Howard's fault that they were able to steal, but that it was good coaching by the Eagles to observe things that might allow for easy stealing and putting runners in scoring position. Don't you agree they stole pretty easily?
Yeah, I do agree it was way to easy, but you said it was not Grimms fault. There is nobody who can be blamed for something like that other than the players. Perhaps there are other issues that can be blamed on the coaching staff,IDK, but not that one.

As for Tucker not picking up on the same issues, it's probably due to the fact that Conley held the runners closer to the bag than what Grimm did, which negated stealing opportunities.

It's a widely know fact in the region that Grimm does not focus on runners at first as well as what he should. JC just exploited the obvious.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Yea I am not sure, but I do know that Grimm doesn't like to throw over to first base and he very rarely does. Whenever you have a coach who can capiltalize on other teams mistakes like Hall(shawn) can you can win. He was going on first movement for most of the game, and some of JC's slower runners were able to steal off of one of the better catchers in the region. It was just good coaching on JC's part, and a bad adjustment on Paintsville's.

You're right, and it's because he don't trust his first baseman. Coach Hall did the same thing Coach Runyon use to do to JC when I was a Freshman. We use to go on Heath Castle's first movement and stole all night long, even when he went to first for a pick-off, we still ended up safe at 2nd. Dave Trimble played first base and was too big and slow and didn't have a good enough arm to catch the pick off attempt, turn, get his feet set and make the throw to 2nd in time to get any of our guys out. I think that's what Hall had in his mind.
As baseball goes, every game is unpredictable. People have good days and people have bad days. Paintsville had a bad one and JC had a good one. I don't think anyone is to blame, but JC is to be congratulated. Tigers, congratulations on a good year with a great showing in Applebees Park.
As far as talent for the next years to come, I don't think Paintsville will have any problems with that. Have you watched the middle school play?
Good luck to all seniors JC and Paintsville on your future plans.
Congrats Johnson Central
Redneck Wrote:You're right, and it's because he don't trust his first baseman. Coach Hall did the same thing Coach Runyon use to do to JC when I was a Freshman. We use to go on Heath Castle's first movement and stole all night long, even when he went to first for a pick-off, we still ended up safe at 2nd. Dave Trimble played first base and was too big and slow and didn't have a good enough arm to catch the pick off attempt, turn, get his feet set and make the throw to 2nd in time to get any of our guys out. I think that's what Hall had in his mind.
I cant say yea or nay about that because I dont know anything about that issue, BUT, I can say that over the years I have heard both Coach Lyons and Coach Crace complain several times that they could not get Grimm to focus on the runner at hand. And that was way before the current first baseman came into the scenerio. Perhaps he just doesn't trust first basemen in general.Smile
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Yea I am not sure, but I do know that Grimm doesn't like to throw over to first base and he very rarely does. Whenever you have a coach who can capiltalize on other teams mistakes like Hall(shawn) can you can win. He was going on first movement for most of the game, and some of JC's slower runners were able to steal off of one of the better catchers in the region. It was just good coaching on JC's part, and a bad adjustment on Paintsville's.

They weren't stealing off the catcher a couple of times the baserunner was halfway to second before the pitch got to the catcher....also did you see any pitch outs called so those aren't on the catcher....Paintsville was out coached in many respects but at the same time some of these players everyone thinks that have so much talent have to occasionally step up to the plate and show it.
and I'm not talking about grimm or adams
you figure that you should have a chance to win scoring 4 runs with your ace on the mound but in these district matchups paintsville vs jchs the outcome is usually unpredictable...... poor management of baserunners and misplayed bunts from the usual suspects whom should not have been on the field has led to what feels like a very unsuccessful season for the tigers and had long before this game torn the team apart internally....there have been big problems on that team since the first of the year...
INSIGHT Wrote:They weren't stealing off the catcher a couple of times the baserunner was halfway to second before the pitch got to the catcher....also did you see any pitch outs called so those aren't on the catcher....Paintsville was out coached in many respects but at the same time some of these players everyone thinks that have so much talent have to occasionally step up to the plate and show it.
and I'm not talking about grimm or adams
you figure that you should have a chance to win scoring 4 runs with your ace on the mound but in these district matchups paintsville vs jchs the outcome is usually unpredictable...... poor management of baserunners and misplayed bunts from the usual suspects whom should not have been on the field has led to what feels like a very unsuccessful season for the tigers and had long before this game torn the team apart internally....there have been big problems on that team since the first of the year...

Absoultely!! I in no way wanted it to look like I thought Adams is to blame, he never had a chance to throw them out. Adams is, in my opinion, one of the top 2 catchers (and maybe a top 5 all around player) in the 15th Region, and he is only a Junior.
Congrats to the JCHS.
I know it looks like I am bashing Coach Howard, and really I don't mean to. I know he has made some several decisions in the past that have cost his team some ballgames..... as all beginning/young coached do.

I think there are some underlying factors that limit his decisionmaking abilities in certain situations.

I honestly believe after 2 more years pass, if he can last that long, he will be able to focus on the team as a whole, and be as good as any coach in the Region.
Redneck Wrote:You're right, and it's because he don't trust his first baseman. Coach Hall did the same thing Coach Runyon use to do to JC when I was a Freshman. We use to go on Heath Castle's first movement and stole all night long, even when he went to first for a pick-off, we still ended up safe at 2nd. Dave Trimble played first base and was too big and slow and didn't have a good enough arm to catch the pick off attempt, turn, get his feet set and make the throw to 2nd in time to get any of our guys out. I think that's what Hall had in his mind.
Seth Alex caught every ball that was thrown to him. The ball that Grimm threw away when he tried to pick over was on Grimm not Rice. So I wouldn't try to blame Rice for them stealing bases. Grimm needed to throw over and go at different paces toward the plate so the Eagles couldn't time what he was doing everytime.
state 1 Wrote:I know it looks like I am bashing Coach Howard, and really I don't mean to. I know he has made some several decisions in the past that have cost his team some ballgames..... as all beginning/young coached do.

I think there are some underlying factors that limit his decisionmaking abilities in certain situations.

I honestly believe after 2 more years pass, if he can last that long, he will be able to focus on the team as a whole, and be as good as any coach in the Region.

This team cannot take another year under this coach.
He needs to go, they have beat 1 good team in his 3 years. (Lex Christian) The football and baseball schedules at Paintsville are a joke.