Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2008 Kentucky Football
How is UK gonna do this year and What do you think about this years team?
With this years team, you won't be able to tell until the first few games of the season, but I say they will win 8 or 9 games. Should have a pretty good defense, but the offense will have to show us what they got on the field. So far, next season is unpredictable.
Next season relies on who is quarterback. Pulley or Hartline could be the starter next season, they have some really good receivers to throw the ball too in Lyons, Ford, Boyd, and Lanxter. None of those four are as good as Johnson or Burton were but they can get the job done. The offensive line should be in the best shape that it ever has been in, there a lot of young guys on the line that have a lot of experience, the running game should be very good with four guys that can carry the ball for positive yardage, we have our two backs with speed (Locke & Smith) and two with power (Dixon & Allen). The defense should be good but don't overate them, there still not going to be that great of a defense, but they will be able to make plays that will win us a few games.

I look for the Wildcats to atleast win 6 maybe 7 games next season.
blackcat_student Wrote:Next season relies on who is quarterback. Pulley or Hartline could be the starter next season, they have some really good receivers to throw the ball too in Lyons, Ford, Boyd, and Lanxter. None of those four are as good as Johnson or Burton were but they can get the job done. The offensive line should be in the best shape that it ever has been in, there a lot of young guys on the line that have a lot of experience, the running game should be very good with four guys that can carry the ball for positive yardage, we have our two backs with speed (Locke & Smith) and two with power (Dixon & Allen). The defense should be good but don't overate them, there still not going to be that great of a defense, but they will be able to make plays that will win us a few games.

I look for the Wildcats to atleast win 6 maybe 7 games next season.
With Hartline's skill, I would move Pulley to WR (gotta have his talent on the field!) and use Hartline at QB. Like you said, the D should be solid with almost everyone returning.

Will be a tossup until after a couple of games and it all depends on the Offense getting things going. I see 7 wins as achievable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pulley will be the quarterback, and he will be a really good one. Kentucky will have the best defense that we have seen in the Rich Brooks era and probably the best we've seen in a long time before that.
Beef Wrote:With Hartline's skill, I would move Pulley to WR (gotta have his talent on the field!) and use Hartline at QB. Like you said, the D should be solid with almost everyone returning.

Will be a tossup until after a couple of games and it all depends on the Offense getting things going. I see 7 wins as achievable.

He was a good playing reciever his sophmore year I think. So that would be a good idea to put him at reciever.
Pulley didnt play that well to me at QB in the past so I would have him at WR.
Go Cats
I see 6-7 wins and a lower-tier SEC bowl game. Which would be a success in my eyes (three straight bowls for the Cats).
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I see 6 or 7 wins this season. It all depends on how the qb plays. If he plays good it will be a good season and another bowl win. If he plays bad it will be a long season for the blue and white. Also the wr's are going to have to step up and fill in the big shoes that was left by 3 nfl players.
GO CATS!!!!
I see a completely different team than the last couple of years. The throw happy offense we saw in '06 and '07 with Woodson will be gone and a more run oriented offense takes its place with clock eating drives behind arguably one the best and most decorated o-lines in school history. This is the year Ive been waiting on with the defense. Watch Myron Pryor this year. IMO if he can shake the injury bud hes had he could have a break out year. Jeremy Jarmon showed what he could do last year. Corey Peters and Ricky Lumpkin could have big years as well up front. I gurantee that we may have the most physical LB corps weve ever had even though we will miss Woodyards leadership. Micah Johnson is ready to take his place as one of the best linebackers in the SEC. Braxton Kelley proved last year in the LSU game that he can step up and make a big play when his team needs him. Johnny Williams has the nasty streak that any LB needs to be successful. David Jones wowed alot of people in the spring (Coach Brooks couldnt say enough about him). I expect him to supplant Warford at one CB with a true playmaker in Trevard Lindley on the other side. Marcus Mcclinton IMO will return to form from his injury and take Woodyards place as the emotional leader of not just the defense but the entire team. I expect a healthy competition between Ashton Cobb and Matt Lentz at SS. Tim Masthay improved last year at P and Lones Seiber better pick it up or one of the 3 freshmen kickers might take his job.
Predicting records for an SEC school can be tough but looking at our schedule the only two schools on paper we have no shot at beating is Florida and Georgia(Of course I said we couldnt beat LSU at the beginning of last year). I say we go 9-3 next year with losses(but not blowouts) to Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. IMO this is the year we get over the hump with Tennesee after 2 straight close games with them the past 2 years. Cats get an Outback bowl bid to end the year.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I see a completely different team than the last couple of years. The throw happy offense we saw in '06 and '07 with Woodson will be gone and a more run oriented offense takes its place with clock eating drives behind arguably one the best and most decorated o-lines in school history. This is the year Ive been waiting on with the defense. Watch Myron Pryor this year. IMO if he can shake the injury bud hes had he could have a break out year. Jeremy Jarmon showed what he could do last year. Corey Peters and Ricky Lumpkin could have big years as well up front. I gurantee that we may have the most physical LB corps weve ever had even though we will miss Woodyards leadership. Micah Johnson is ready to take his place as one of the best linebackers in the SEC. Braxton Kelley proved last year in the LSU game that he can step up and make a big play when his team needs him. Johnny Williams has the nasty streak that any LB needs to be successful. David Jones wowed alot of people in the spring (Coach Brooks couldnt say enough about him). I expect him to supplant Warford at one CB with a true playmaker in Trevard Lindley on the other side. Marcus Mcclinton IMO will return to form from his injury and take Woodyards place as the emotional leader of not just the defense but the entire team. I expect a healthy competition between Ashton Cobb and Matt Lentz at SS. Tim Masthay improved last year at P and Lones Seiber better pick it up or one of the 3 freshmen kickers might take his job.
Predicting records for an SEC school can be tough but looking at our schedule the only two schools on paper we have no shot at beating is Florida and Georgia(Of course I said we couldnt beat LSU at the beginning of last year). I say we go 9-3 next year with losses(but not blowouts) to Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. IMO this is the year we get over the hump with Tennesee after 2 straight close games with them the past 2 years. Cats get an Outback bowl bid to end the year.

:Thumbs: GREAT POST!
I attended the UK Football Clinic for Ladies on Saturday and really enjoyed the event! Best UK thing I've attended in a long time! I'm looking forward to the season now! Coaches Ortmayer, Phillips, Brown, and Thurmond were great! Wonderful event... record breaking "sell out" of 300 ladies of all ages and a great day!
Joker Phillips seemed very optimistic about the offense in an interview today on WYMT. He said that Randall Cobb would definitely be a big help and could be "one of the best athletes to ever walk through those doors since I've been here, since 1981." Those are some pretty exciting claims being made by the offense coordinator.
I saw on KSR today that Cobb was taking a lot of reps at QB, and that they may let him focus on that position.

Do you think he can/will challenge Hartline for the starting position?
Circle one date on your calendars:

October 18, Commonwealth Stadium, Kentucky vs. Arkansas

Man, would I ever love to see UK lay a good ole butt-whoopin' on Bobby Petrino! Smile
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don't see UK doing much this season, I think Pulley be the starting QB. Pulley has a decent arm and can run the ball when he wants, the defense is outstanding prolly having one of the top 3 defenses in the SEC this year, but
your prolly asking where does uk not doing much this year come in, schedule.

Louisville- W
Norfolk St.-W
Middle Tennessee-W
Western Kentucky-L = Kentucky won't stop KJ. Black, Tyrell Hyden and Chris Bullard will eat them up on defense.
Bama-L
South Carolina-L
Arkansas-W
Florida-L
Miss. St- W
Georgia-L
Vandy-W
Tennessee-W

6-6 not to bad.
Spartan4Life Wrote:I don't see UK doing much this season, I think Pulley be the starting QB. Pulley has a decent arm and can run the ball when he wants, the defense is outstanding prolly having one of the top 3 defenses in the SEC this year, but
your prolly asking where does uk not doing much this year come in, schedule.

Louisville- W
Norfolk St.-W
Middle Tennessee-W
Western Kentucky-L = Kentucky won't stop KJ. Black, Tyrell Hyden and Chris Bullard will eat them up on defense.
Bama-L
South Carolina-L
Arkansas-W
Florida-L
Miss. St- W
Georgia-L
Vandy-W
Tennessee-W

6-6 not to bad.

I love this assesment due to the fact apparently you dont keep up with UK football and maybe college football at that. If you knew anything then you would not have based your first paragraph on Pulley. Pulley has been dismissed from the team due to violations ranging back to his grade problems. I really do not see how you give an L against WKU. I as you do think it will be one of those everyone is expecting a blow out but will be a close game that many need to watch. Also you are giving them a 6-6 record when actually by looking at your W and L you have them at 7-5. IMO UK ends up 8 and 4 with the losses to Bamma, SC, FL and GA. This season will all depend on the arm of Hartline and how the recivers end up doing. Defense will keep us many ball games but my question is the poise of the offense all around.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:I saw on KSR today that Cobb was taking a lot of reps at QB, and that they may let him focus on that position.

Do you think he can/will challenge Hartline for the starting position?

I think he will. Joker also said that even if he doesn't start at QB they have to find some way to get him on the field.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I think he will. Joker also said that even if he doesn't start at QB they have to find some way to get him on the field.

I think in that case they should use him in Spread, Option plays, and use Hartline as more of a pocket passer/3 step drop and sling it in there. JMO