Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Tournament
South Laurel vs. Middlesboro 10 am
Clay County vs. Barbourville 1 pm
Knox Central vs. Corbin 4 pm
Bell County vs. Jackson County 7 pm

Games will be played at North Laurel HS.
That really sucks for North Laurel! So I am guessing that Clay County and South are in the same side of the bracket? That really puts Corbin, I think, at having a good chance to make the championship with a possible good pitcher left, but with it being pretty even, I don't know if any team will be able to hold a their ace. Who is the front runner in this tournament. I am assuming right now it has to be Clay County with them having that pitching that throws some serious heat, right? I am very interested in how this turns out.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:That really sucks for North Laurel! So I am guessing that Clay County and South are in the same side of the bracket? That really puts Corbin, I think, at having a good chance to make the championship with a possible good pitcher left, but with it being pretty even, I don't know if any team will be able to hold a their ace. Who is the front runner in this tournament. I am assuming right now it has to be Clay County with them having that pitching that throws some serious heat, right? I am very interested in how this turns out.
Clay and Bell are definately the front runners after the draw. Clay will be able to save Hobbs for the semis while South-Middlesboro will have to throw Martin and Pittan respectively to get by. Knox-Corbin are in the same situation. I think the semis will be South-Clay and Bell-Knox.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:That really sucks for North Laurel! So I am guessing that Clay County and South are in the same side of the bracket? That really puts Corbin, I think, at having a good chance to make the championship with a possible good pitcher left, but with it being pretty even, I don't know if any team will be able to hold a their ace. Who is the front runner in this tournament. I am assuming right now it has to be Clay County with them having that pitching that throws some serious heat, right? I am very interested in how this turns out.

Bell is 3 deep pitching wise, and I think they would have their ace available if they make the championship. Right now, there ace could be either one of 2 kids, and both have beaten good competition all year long. With the draw, they may have the best road. Clay definitely has a good chance as well, but they don't have the pitching that Bell has. They will have to throw Hobbs to get by South Laurel, and Bell will have either Nelson or Greer available, depending on who they throw in the semi's (provided they win their first round game). IMO, the Greer kid from Bell may be the top pitcher in the region with Nelson not far behind. Both are just as good as Hobbs. I'd like to see a Hobbs vs. Greer pitching matchup for the championship, but that's doubtful because Hobbs will most likely have to be used against SL. I do however, pick a Bell vs. Clay finale.
BaseballMan Wrote:Bell is 3 deep pitching wise, and I think they would have their ace available if they make the championship. Right now, there ace could be either one of 2 kids, and both have beaten good competition all year long. With the draw, they may have the best road. Clay definitely has a good chance as well, but they don't have the pitching that Bell has. They will have to throw Hobbs to get by South Laurel, and Bell will have either Nelson or Greer available, depending on who they throw in the semi's (provided they win their first round game). IMO, the Greer kid from Bell may be the top pitcher in the region with Nelson not far behind. Both are just as good as Hobbs. I'd like to see a Hobbs vs. Greer pitching matchup for the championship, but that's doubtful because Hobbs will most likely have to be used against SL. I do however, pick a Bell vs. Clay finale.
Clay County has Nick Gray also. The game at Bell he came on in relief in the 1st inning and went 5 2/3. He threw 98 fastballs and 2 curveballs. This was his first game back from an elbox injury so he wasn't 100%. He just gave up 3 runs as it was. Bell will probably throw Greer to get by Corbin or Knox.
BaseballMan Wrote:Bell is 3 deep pitching wise, and I think they would have their ace available if they make the championship. Right now, there ace could be either one of 2 kids, and both have beaten good competition all year long. With the draw, they may have the best road. Clay definitely has a good chance as well, but they don't have the pitching that Bell has. They will have to throw Hobbs to get by South Laurel, and Bell will have either Nelson or Greer available, depending on who they throw in the semi's (provided they win their first round game). IMO, the Greer kid from Bell may be the top pitcher in the region with Nelson not far behind. Both are just as good as Hobbs. I'd like to see a Hobbs vs. Greer pitching matchup for the championship, but that's doubtful because Hobbs will most likely have to be used against SL. I do however, pick a Bell vs. Clay finale.

I see. How hard does Bell's ace throw? What about the kid from Clay? How hard does he throw?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I see. How hard does Bell's ace throw? What about the kid from Clay? How hard does he throw?
Greer throws consistent mid 80's, but like Hobbs he struggles getting his curve across and is sometimes shaky with control. Nelson and Gray throw it about the same. Right around 80, good control, and pretty good breaking balls.
Hit and Run Wrote:Greer throws consistent mid 80's, but like Hobbs he struggles getting his curve across and is sometimes shaky with control. Nelson and Gray throw it about the same. Right around 80, good control, and pretty good breaking balls.

So basically the only overpowering pitchers in the 13th region have control issues?
I've heard that Greer hasn't had many control problems this season, and has been outstanding beating SL 1-0 and losing to Boyle County 5-1. From rumors around the region, Greer has become a consistent threat on the hill this season. One coach said he was consistently clocking him 86-88 and topping at 89 in the Boyle County game in the 6th and 7th inning. Have also been hearing that the coaching staff has been working with this kid, and he has a slider and a slow curve with a terrific changeup. And he's only a junior! Last year, I believe he did have control problems and was used mainly as a closer or in relief appearances. Not the story I have been hearing this season.

Hobbs is a terrific pitcher as well, but Nelson from Bell has been equally effective this season. While Nelson will only consistenly throw 80-82 he has a good curve and good change and great command of all pitches. He has beaten some good teams, and only lost to a good Woodford County team 3-2. I think the 13th has some good pitching.

SL also has a good starter in Matthew Martin who throws low to mid eighties with good stuff. They also have Rakestraw who has good command. KC has the best LHP - possibly in SE KY in Jacob Scalf. He has signed with G'town, throws in the low 80s with great offspeed stuff. Bell also has another kid, Chase Ely, who has possibly the best curveball in the 13th and low 80s FB. Middlesboro, who lost in the first round to SL, also has a great junior pitcher in Brett Pittman who throws low to mid 80s with a decent slider. There is some very good pitching in the 13th.
BaseballMan Wrote:I've heard that Greer hasn't had many control problems this season, and has been outstanding beating SL 1-0 and losing to Boyle County 5-1. From rumors around the region, Greer has become a consistent threat on the hill this season. One coach said he was consistently clocking him 86-88 and topping at 89 in the Boyle County game in the 6th and 7th inning. Have also been hearing that the coaching staff has been working with this kid, and he has a slider and a slow curve with a terrific changeup. And he's only a junior! Last year, I believe he did have control problems and was used mainly as a closer or in relief appearances. Not the story I have been hearing this season.

Hobbs is a terrific pitcher as well, but Nelson from Bell has been equally effective this season. While Nelson will only consistenly throw 80-82 he has a good curve and good change and great command of all pitches. He has beaten some good teams, and only lost to a good Woodford County team 3-2. I think the 13th has some good pitching.

SL also has a good starter in Matthew Martin who throws low to mid eighties with good stuff. They also have Rakestraw who has good command. KC has the best LHP - possibly in SE KY in Jacob Scalf. He has signed with G'town, throws in the low 80s with great offspeed stuff. Bell also has another kid, Chase Ely, who has possibly the best curveball in the 13th and low 80s FB. Middlesboro, who lost in the first round to SL, also has a great junior pitcher in Brett Pittman who throws low to mid 80s with a decent slider. There is some very good pitching in the 13th.
Nelson has definately lost more than 1 game. He lost a 2-0 game at Clay County early in the year. Tigers freshman Brandon Griffin no-hit the Bobcats that game. I know in the Clay game at Bell Greer struggled with his control quite a bit, and heard a report that he had a hard time finding the plate at North. In my opinion Ely is better than Nelson. His curve ball is pretty wicked. Nelson throws it harder, but doesn't have much to compliment it.
Hit and Run Wrote:Nelson has definately lost more than 1 game. He lost a 2-0 game at Clay County early in the year. Tigers freshman Brandon Griffin no-hit the Bobcats that game. I know in the Clay game at Bell Greer struggled with his control quite a bit, and heard a report that he had a hard time finding the plate at North. In my opinion Ely is better than Nelson. His curve ball is pretty wicked. Nelson throws it harder, but doesn't have much to compliment it.

I never said he had lost only 1 game. I'm sure he has. I do remember that game in the beginning of the year. I believe I posted something about it on here saying I heard it was a no-hitter. Greer has struggled a little at times, but is no where near what he was. He has had some big games for Bell on the mound. I am not sure about anything at North. According to KHSAA, they don't even have Bell listed as playing at North this year. But I'm sure he has struggled at times, but for the most part this season, I understand that he has had great control with a variety of pitches.

Ely is a good pitcher as well. He may have better stuff than Nelson, but it seems that Nelson is the smarter player on the hill. He just knows how to get it done. Bell has good pitching from 3 kids and not to bad relief. However, Clay, Corbin, and South all are solid as well. The winner won't be bad no matter which team it is from the semifinals.
BaseballMan Wrote:I never said he had lost only 1 game. I'm sure he has. I do remember that game in the beginning of the year. I believe I posted something about it on here saying I heard it was a no-hitter. Greer has struggled a little at times, but is no where near what he was. He has had some big games for Bell on the mound. I am not sure about anything at North. According to KHSAA, they don't even have Bell listed as playing at North this year. But I'm sure he has struggled at times, but for the most part this season, I understand that he has had great control with a variety of pitches.

Ely is a good pitcher as well. He may have better stuff than Nelson, but it seems that Nelson is the smarter player on the hill. He just knows how to get it done. Bell has good pitching from 3 kids and not to bad relief. However, Clay, Corbin, and South all are solid as well. The winner won't be bad no matter which team it is from the semifinals.
I just hope the rain holds off so we can get the semi's in. Who did Bell pitch aganist Jackson??
Hit and Run Wrote:I just hope the rain holds off so we can get the semi's in. Who did Bell pitch aganist Jackson??

From what I understand, Chase Ely threw 4 innings and they brought in the 1st baseman for relief in the 5th. Bell won 14-2. Slusher hit a grand-slam to end the game in mercy in the bottom of the 5th.
BaseballMan Wrote:From what I understand, Chase Ely threw 4 innings and they brought in the 1st baseman for relief in the 5th. Bell won 14-2. Slusher hit a grand-slam to end the game in mercy in the bottom of the 5th.
The great draws Bell and Clay got are now nothing. South can come back with Martin and Corbin could come back with Hamlin if they want to. Should be 2 great semifinal games tomorrow at North Laurel.