Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polygamy in Texas
With the new developing stories in Texas on polygamy, what are some of the things the bible instructs on this subject. We all know Solomon had more than 1000 wives, concubines, princesses, and other women to himself, so is the Bible actually supporting polygamy or was Solomon sinful and wrong in taking so many wives unto himself?

Let's start with 1 Kings 11:1-3
"But King Solomon loved many foreign women, as well as the daughter of Pharaoh: women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians, and Hittites; from the nations of whom the LORD had said to the children of Israel,

[INDENT]“You shall not intermarry with them, nor they with you. Surely they will turn away your hearts after their gods.”[/INDENT]

Solomon clung to these in love. And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart."

So, why did Solomon do this knowing it was not the will of God? If you study history, then you can see that Solomon was very adamant about foreign policy, and he also loved wealth and power. So, he would make treaties with foreign kings and take their daughters as wives to seal the deals.

But where does the Bible actually say that this is wrong for the king to do? Turn to the book of Deuteronomy in chapter 17 and verse 17 and you will read this in the NIV: "Moses’ law said, the king “shall not multiply horses to himself… Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold”".

We see that Solomon actually sinned against God in many ways. So, even though the Bible speaks of Solomon and all his wives, it does not condone his actions, but declares them to be sinful. In the end, he is known as the wisest man to possibly ever live. He has lived and learned that even though he had it all according to the world, he had nothing without the Lord. According to Ecclesiastes, Solomon finds that all is meaningless without the Lord.

Polygamy is not a biblically supported idea. The Lord meant for marriage to be one man and one woman and he created us that way. The apostle Paul also supported one wife when writing about the leaders of the church to be the husband of one wife to the Corinthians.
I think we addressed this a couple months ago.
DevilsWin Wrote:I think we addressed this a couple months ago.

Since then, it has appeared on the news again. I'd imagine there has been many things that have been discussed, passed on, and then re-emerged in a different format. That's just the way things happen.
Anyone with more than one wife has been punished enough.......
lawrencefan Wrote:Anyone with more than one wife has been punished enough.......

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

But seriously, although a wife can be a pain in the butt, she is also a treasure that is so valuable that we men would be lost without them. I'm sure we have our days of being a pain as well.