Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marc Shepherd Leaves Prestonsburg
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Uhh, only game that counts is the one in the second season. Any game before that is only practice. Perhaps AC was just practicing their boys in the regualar season games. You know, settin PBurg up for the kill when it really means something.

Well, if that is your analogy, then name me more than the 4 that you mentioned that are true baseball players at PBurg. Name me baseball players, not athletes.

When Prestonsburg won their state title (1948), they still used feed sacks as bases . lol Name me at least one more regional title since then, and then tell me why that nobody wants the coaching job at PBurg.

Yeah, why even play the regular season then? Let's just go out and practice everyday then start the district tournament.

I think you misunderstood me when I said "true baseball players", I just meant their talent level is above the rest of the teams. And when you say athlete, it doesn't mean that they can't be very good baseball players. Hughes for example, his best sport might be football or even basketball, but he's probably better than any player AC has.

Sarcasm is the word I would use to define that statement I made, I know Prestonsburg is not a baseball school.

It's just tough for me to believe that Allen Central had more talent then Prestonsburg when Prestonsburg killed them in almost every statistical category and beat them two games out of three.
I agree, why talk about something that happened all those years ago !
BlackcatAlum Wrote:For one, Shepherd did nothing with the talent he had here at Prestonsburg. He did present more disipline but wasn't much better than the previous coach. He couldn't motivate any of his players at all. Two, Allen Central does not have near as much talent as Prestonsburg. Shepherd was the reason why they lost to Allen Central in the 58th district tournament, having batters bunt in the 6th inning down by 3 or 4 runs, also leaving Rodebaugh into pitch when the Rebels were hitting everything. He has much more to learn as a coach.

Down the road Shepherd will be a very good coach but your comments only make me laugh.

first of all AC has won district for four consecutive years...and seven of the past 8...and AC coach is not nearly as good as shepherd...for example u speak of Shepherd having them bunt when down by so much this is questionable but may i remind you....when AC plaed prestonsburg the first time this season, AC coach had Hammonds trying to steal home when Ac is down by one run in the bottom of the sixth or fifth and of course he is out.....josh manuel, was one of AC's most consistant hitters this year was at the plate, the pitch in which hammonds stole on was a ball, so manuel would have been hitting with a full count and sitting on a fastball....not to mention he is a fastball hitter....even if he wouldn't have had a hit he most likely would have put the ball in play to put pressure on pburgs defense considering he only struck out around 9 time this season...and as for pitching rodebaugh who else where they gonna pitch....as far as i know bobby wasn't able ....and well they hammered schoolcraft worse than rodebaugh last year....o yea and did i mention that AC may have only had around 9-11 practices this year including preason....we would have loved to have had shepherd over hear....maybe he could have kept the some of AC's players under control and who knows....maybe he would have made them practice and AC could have actually had a right fielder.....o yea i almost for this one too....district championship i believe the game may have been tied at this point when AC's coach had logan crowder try and steal home...he was out as well...man Austin Shelton was good at running his team out of an inning
blackcat Wrote:Yeah, why even play the regular season then? Let's just go out and practice everyday then start the district tournament.

I think you misunderstood me when I said "true baseball players", I just meant their talent level is above the rest of the teams. And when you say athlete, it doesn't mean that they can't be very good baseball players. Hughes for example, his best sport might be football or even basketball, but he's probably better than any player AC has.

Sarcasm is the word I would use to define that statement I made, I know Prestonsburg is not a baseball school.

It's just tough for me to believe that Allen Central had more talent then Prestonsburg when Prestonsburg killed them in almost every statistical category and beat them two games out of three.

both AC and Pburg had the same teams as they did last season... and well since last year pburg is 4-2 vs. pburg and has outscored them 50-36....so yea pburg has superior talent? well since pburg has won 7 of the past 8 district championships....o wait it seems that I have them confused with AC lol... Pburg hasn't one a district baseball championship i don't know how long......KHSAA.com only has the district championship winners that date back to the 98' season and well that means they haven't one it in over ten years at least...and i'd say it was more than that because betsy layne and AC where typically the best district teams in the 90's if my memory is correct.....how can you say that Pburg had superior talent when they beat AC twice in two years as opposed to AC's four wins....superior coach Pburg had not talent
blackcat Wrote:You have to be kidding me. Prestonsburg was 2-0 against AC in the regular season, and IMO played without a doubt the worst baseball of the season the last 6 or so games. AC does normally have superb talent, but lacked it this year. The only true baseball players they had were Little, Hammonds, and the Crowder twins (and I think they're better at basketball).

And I also believe that Prestonsburg has a state championship in baseball, Paintsville being the only other school in the 15th region with one. Maybe Prestonsburg is a "Baseball School".Big Grin

how can u not mention manuel as another baseball player considering he was...second on the team in average at .430 and second in steals to hammonds and i think he was third or fourth on the team in rbi's.... o yea he and rodebaugh where the only two plyers from the 58th district to be named to the all-conference team, the all-district tournament team, and the all-regional tournament team....you people need to have statistics to back up what you say instead of just shooting off your mouth.....how many "true" baseball players does pburg have? hughes and rodebaugh that is it....tyler hall is ok....and well that is just about it...so i would say that pburg does have better athletes...but not baseball players....show me some stats that may change my mind if you want to argue this
White Lotus Wrote:first of all AC has won district for four consecutive years...and seven of the past 8...and AC coach is not nearly as good as shepherd...for example u speak of Shepherd having them bunt when down by so much this is questionable but may i remind you....when AC plaed prestonsburg the first time this season, AC coach had Hammonds trying to steal home when Ac is down by one run in the bottom of the sixth or fifth and of course he is out.....josh manuel, was one of AC's most consistant hitters this year was at the plate, the pitch in which hammonds stole on was a ball, so manuel would have been hitting with a full count and sitting on a fastball....not to mention he is a fastball hitter....even if he wouldn't have had a hit he most likely would have put the ball in play to put pressure on pburgs defense considering he only struck out around 9 time this season...and as for pitching rodebaugh who else where they gonna pitch....as far as i know bobby wasn't able ....and well they hammered schoolcraft worse than rodebaugh last year....o yea and did i mention that AC may have only had around 9-11 practices this year including preason....we would have loved to have had shepherd over hear....maybe he could have kept the some of AC's players under control and who knows....maybe he would have made them practice and AC could have actually had a right fielder.....o yea i almost for this one too....district championship i believe the game may have been tied at this point when AC's coach had logan crowder try and steal home...he was out as well...man Austin Shelton was good at running his team out of an inning

Marc may have been the better coach but he just wasn't very good to his players. As blackcatmvp_6 stated on the first page, instead of trying to help them after mistakes all he did was yell at them. As for talent level this season, I still think that Prestonsburg had the better baseball team this past season, the years before Allen Central did. As for Rodebaugh's pitching performance in the district finals, yeah, Bobby was wanting to come in and pitch during that game, and yes he was able.
Marc Shepherd is a good person. "I know this for a fact"
Floyd County Schools cares about baseball. "NOT" Fans do!
I think this sums up the entire thread except for those that thought Prestonburg should have won the region.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Marc may have been the better coach but he just wasn't very good to his players. As blackcatmvp_6 stated on the first page, instead of trying to help them after mistakes all he did was yell at them. As for talent level this season, I still think that Prestonsburg had the better baseball team this past season, the years before Allen Central did. As for Rodebaugh's pitching performance in the district finals, yeah, Bobby was wanting to come in and pitch during that game, and yes he was able.

After I got out of t-ball, I never had a coach that said here honey, this is what you're messing up on. I've seen and known Coach Derossett for a very long time, I don't think he has that soft mentality and he seems to have success @ P-burg.
The Blue Blur Wrote:After I got out of t-ball, I never had a coach that said here honey, this is what you're messing up on. I've seen and known Coach Derossett for a very long time, I don't think he has that soft mentality and he seems to have success @ P-burg.

The only difference is thats football, you can take your anger out on the opposing team, in baseball you cannot do that.
White Lotus Wrote:both AC and Pburg had the same teams as they did last season... and well since last year pburg is 4-2 vs. pburg and has outscored them 50-36....so yea pburg has superior talent? well since pburg has won 7 of the past 8 district championships....o wait it seems that I have them confused with AC lol... Pburg hasn't one a district baseball championship i don't know how long......KHSAA.com only has the district championship winners that date back to the 98' season and well that means they haven't one it in over ten years at least...and i'd say it was more than that because betsy layne and AC where typically the best district teams in the 90's if my memory is correct.....how can you say that Pburg had superior talent when they beat AC twice in two years as opposed to AC's four wins....superior coach Pburg had not talent

I'm not sure, but I can't recall that I said Prestonsburg had "superior talent", merely they were the better team. And to say that Prestonsburg's team was the same as last years, well, I really don't know what to say about that, obviously you're lost.

As for the Manuel kid, I've never heard of him, I just mentioned some of the kids that I had a chance to play with. If you want stats you can go to KHSAA.com and look at them, they led AC in every one so I really have no need to argue. Maybe some of the posters on here just need to remove their biased glasses? By the way Hall hit close .500 this year maybe over, so I would say that's better than okay.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The only difference is thats football, you can take your anger out on the opposing team, in baseball you cannot do that.
Say What???:confused:

Not sure that I understand any of that.
blackcat Wrote:I'm not sure, but I can't recall that I said Prestonsburg had "superior talent", merely they were the better team. And to say that Prestonsburg's team was the same as last years, well, I really don't know what to say about that, obviously you're lost.

As for the Manuel kid, I've never heard of him, I just mentioned some of the kids that I had a chance to play with. If you want stats you can go to KHSAA.com and look at them, they led AC in every one so I really have no need to argue. Maybe some of the posters on here just need to remove their biased glasses? By the way Hall hit close .500 this year maybe over, so I would say that's better than okay.

I got news for both of you guys, any stat put up in the 58th district is basicly meaningless.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I got news for both of you guys, any stat put up in the 58th district is basicly meaningless.

I actually agree with you on something... wow!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I got news for both of you guys, any stat put up in the 58th district is basicly meaningless.

Actually, Prestonsburg's stats were up there with every team in the region with the exception of LC.
blackcat Wrote:Actually, Prestonsburg's stats were up there with every team in the region with the exception of LC.

I'm pretty sure Kimball meant that every 58th team pad's there stats.
I really hate to hear this about coach shepard he was a young and seem to really love the game....I don't know what the reason for his departure but i hope to see him catch on with another team in the 15th...but if anyone know anything about him leaving fill us in becasue from what i got out of him he was pretty happy with his situation...:confused:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'm pretty sure Kimball meant that every 58th team pad's there stats.

this is true i've witnessed this personally....but as for that kid's stats they where true i watched quite a few of their games and most likely i'd say that they are dead on.....but for the most part the 58th does pad their stats.....i seem to recall my freahman year in high school and i seen a bunch of south floyd players in the top Batting average category in the bug sandy news it seemed like they had like four or so players (around real number it's been a while back) and well i think they only won one or two games that year lol
blackcat Wrote:I'm not sure, but I can't recall that I said Prestonsburg had "superior talent", merely they were the better team. And to say that Prestonsburg's team was the same as last years, well, I really don't know what to say about that, obviously you're lost.

who did prestonsburg lose before the season started? nobody that was any good? and as for khsaa they do not have any stats up on the teams other than their records and runs given and runs allowed...prestonsburg scored 102 of their runs against south floyd and betsy layne so that stat is a little bloated and as for records pburg beat up on an easier schedule....if u look at AC's schedule (I'm sure you won't) it is much tougher......they played Lawrence County twice, perry central twice, hazard twice, johnson central, a good george rogers clark team....pburg played belfry good, however AC played them good as well, AC was down 5-4 going into the 5th, when AC coach puts in a seventh grader to pitch against htem for no reason what so ever, pburgs win against east ridge looks alright until you realize that they got quite a few of their wins by beating up on bad teams from in virginia (as they typically do) other than that pburg played none of the top teams from this area.....although i wish they would have then you would have seen that pburg isn't what their record suggests, and what are these stats that you speak of on khsaa if they are any different form these.....and if their are different ones that i am not seeing then please show me
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The only difference is thats football, you can take your anger out on the opposing team, in baseball you cannot do that.

Okay say you can't beat the crap out of another individual physically and baseball is more of a mental game. So, you're telling me that just because a coach lights a fire, so to speak the response has to be a physical beating? I played football and when I got mine chewed it wasn't just a physical release on the other team. I had a challenge in my heart and fire in my belly, I guess you can't change the goals around when you get chewed. Football, basketball, baseball, chess, checkers, just because it's not a physical contact sport, doesn't mean the coach has to be a softy. I can tell you first hand, all the coaches Marc played for in his adolescent years, in any sport never took him by the hand and said honey you're doing this wrong let me show you. Just because that's his way of getting his point across and the only way he knows, doesn't make him a bad coach or a person. Everyone seemed to like Marc until he stepped down, and then the bashing began. I assure you, for whatever reason he moved on it; it was a good one.
Any word on who has put in for the job?
The Blue Blur Wrote:Okay say you can't beat the crap out of another individual physically and baseball is more of a mental game. So, you're telling me that just because a coach lights a fire, so to speak the response has to be a physical beating? I played football and when I got mine chewed it wasn't just a physical release on the other team. I had a challenge in my heart and fire in my belly, I guess you can't change the goals around when you get chewed. Football, basketball, baseball, chess, checkers, just because it's not a physical contact sport, doesn't mean the coach has to be a softy. I can tell you first hand, all the coaches Marc played for in his adolescent years, in any sport never took him by the hand and said honey you're doing this wrong let me show you. Just because that's his way of getting his point across and the only way he knows, doesn't make him a bad coach or a person. Everyone seemed to like Marc until he stepped down, and then the bashing began. I assure you, for whatever reason he moved on it; it was a good one.

There is a difference between chewing a player out and being a complete smartelec constantly, even one of his players said it on the 1st page of this thread. That doesn't help a player mentally at all.

But yeah, not all players may be like that but some will use it as fire.
OffTheHook Wrote:Any word on who has put in for the job?

From what I've heard...

Rick Hughes
Jason Hughes
Justin Arms
Russell Shepherd's son, forgot the name???

But I'm sure that there's more.
I do know that Arms is very interested in taking the position as head skipper for P-burg....I'm still unsure if he has actually applied, I know that several attempts to reach the principal have been unsuccessful and there has been no return of information.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:There is a difference between chewing a player out and being a complete smartelec constantly, even one of his players said it on the 1st page of this thread. That doesn't help a player mentally at all.

But yeah, not all players may be like that but some will use it as fire.
You just described Charlie Adkins and Mike Collins. I think they were both very effective coaches that both made it to the Kentucky High School Hall of Fame. By the way Marc played for Collins.

As I have said before, PBurg is a football school, and a football school only. You guys just dont understand the game of baseball.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:From what I've heard...

Rick Hughes
Jason Hughes
Justin Arms
Russell Shepherd's son, forgot the name???

But I'm sure that there's more.
Justin Arms is the best candidate of what you have listed by a huge margin.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You just described Charlie Adkins and Mike Collins. I think they were both very effective coaches that both made it to the Kentucky High School Hall of Fame. By the way Marc played for Collins.

As I have said before, PBurg is a football school, and a football school only. You guys just dont understand the game of baseball.

Your probably right, I know football and basketball but I know very little about baseball and I believe I'm done arguing in this thread.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You just described Charlie Adkins and Mike Collins. I think they were both very effective coaches that both made it to the Kentucky High School Hall of Fame. By the way Marc played for Collins.

:eek: OUCHHH, LoL!!
IRISH4 Wrote:I do know that Arms is very interested in taking the position as head skipper for P-burg....I'm still unsure if he has actually applied, I know that several attempts to reach the principal have been unsuccessful and there has been no return of information.

The principal had a death in the family not to long ago, so I don't believe he's been by the high school much at all. I just don't want this baseball program at Prestonsburg to end up in the wrong hands.
Sources say that there is only 2 people that have officially put in for the job. One was an assistant coach last year and the other a Shepherd man.
Is Coach Shepp on the staff at JCHS????