Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tolerance: What does it mean?
Merriam-Webster defines it:

1: capacity to endure pain or hardship : endurance, fortitude, stamina
2 a: sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own b: the act of allowing something : toleration
3: the allowable deviation from a standard; especially : the range of variation permitted in maintaining a specified dimension in machining a piece
4 a (1): the capacity of the body to endure or become less responsive to a substance (as a drug) or a physiological insult especially with repeated use or exposure <developed a tolerance to painkillers>; also : the immunological state marked by unresponsiveness to a specific antigen (2): relative capacity of an organism to grow or thrive when subjected to an unfavorable environmental factor b: the maximum amount of a pesticide residue that may lawfully remain on or in food

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many people claim christians are not tolerant to their beliefs when christians give examples from Christ that say He is the only way to the Father. Many non-believers will say that christians do not tolerate other views and try to push their beliefs down the throats of others. While, in some cases, christians have been somewhat pushy, it is not the case for christians who humbly state the truth of God's Word. By the definition of the word tolerance, Christ-following christians do tolerate what others believe, but in love, share with them the 'truth that will set you free'. In doing so, it is sometimes said that christians aren't tolerant of other beliefs, but exactly the opposite is being said in these statements.

When people make this accusation, they are not being tolerant that the absolute truth of christianity is equal to their own view. Instead, it is implied that all other worldviews are okay except for the absolute truth of biblical christianity. Now which is tolerant? Christ was tolerant of the people around Him, but He warned them about their ways and about a place of misery and gnashing of teeth. He didn't force them to change the way they believed, but in love, told them that the path they were taking was leading to destruction.

Josh McDowell spoke of the difference in tolerance and Christ's love:

[INDENT]Tolerance says, "You must approve of what I do."
Love responds, "I must do something harder; I will love you, even when your behavior offends me."

Tolerance says, "You must agree with me."
Love responds, "I must do something harder; I will tell you the truth, because I am convinced 'the truth will set you free.' "

Tolerance says, "You must allow me to have my way."
Love responds, "I must do something harder; I will plead with you to follow the right way, because I believe you are worth the risk."

Tolerance seeks to be inoffensive; love takes risks. Tolerance glorifies division; love seeks unity. Tolerance costs nothing; love costs everything.

I believe the dreadful potential of the new tolerance can be averted, but only with a renewed commitment to truth, justice and love. And, as it happens, that powerful trio of virtues can do more than prevent disaster; it can bring about true community and culture in the midst of diversity and disagreement.[/INDENT]
Seems like you pretty much summed it up. So, I guess your thread is pretty much dead.