Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do people think Powell County will do this season?
How do people think powell county will do this season?I think they have been looking good in the off season and cant wait to see how they will do.just wondering what peoples thought were
You're really asking for it with a thread like this!
they will be improved
Really doesn't matter since they aren't playing for anything now....
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Really doesn't matter since they aren't playing for anything now....
well they are playing for something you need to get ur facts straights
DevilsWin Wrote:You're really asking for it with a thread like this!

you watch and see the will impress
THE_1_AND_ONLY Wrote:well they are playing for something you need to get ur facts straights

Forfeiting district play... the only thing they are playing for is their record. No playoffs, no district championship, no State Championship. Not the kids fault...
THE_1_AND_ONLY Wrote:well they are playing for something you need to get ur facts straights
They're playing for Practice!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Forfeiting district play... the only thing they are playing for is their record. No playoffs, no district championship, no State Championship. Not the kids fault...

your know my dad is the coach so i would think i would know before you
isnt there already a powell football thread asking the same exact thing?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Forfeiting district play... the only thing they are playing for is their record. No playoffs, no district championship, no State Championship. Not the kids fault...

i do not understand,why are they forfeiting the playoffs for?

can a fellow poster see a schedule?
Powell will not be forfeiting the playoffs this season, they will go on like ever other team and try to get the title.
kybaseball Wrote:i do not understand,why are they forfeiting the playoffs for?

can a fellow poster see a schedule?

Yeah really.

Powell County Schedule
THE_1_AND_ONLY Wrote:Powell will not be forfeiting the playoffs this season, they will go on like ever other team and try to get the title.

You can't compete in a DISTRICT and not play every team. IF you could Powell would be 0-1 already in district play and have to beat Estill and Fleming and hope the other teams beat HCHS. You are playing for a record, the best of 10. I hope the kids are not being fooled by this, the administration should know better. Back to the topic, I look for a 5 or 6 win season, only in my opinion. Morgan, Lewis, Betsy Layne are gimmees, should get a win against Jackson Co. and Walton-Verona with the young kids Powell has returning. Possibly a win against Berea, those are the 5 or 6 I look for them to beat. Breathitt, Bath, Estill, and Fleming will be too strong, they return about all from last year and word from Breathitt is the Q.B. may be the best one to come out of there before it is over and he will only be a junior. Breathitt lost 3 or 4 players and Estill lost maybe a couple, none that will hurt them though, Estill that is.
DevilsWin Wrote:They're playing for Practice!

Nicely put.
[HTMLPowell would be 0-1 ][/HTML]

and that means we would be 1-0!! :Clap:

Wink ...sorry I had to say it.... Wink
I wouldn't say Lewis will be a gimmie this year.New coach and a lot more numbers this year.
4-6 or 5-5
Mama Bear Wrote:[HTMLPowell would be 0-1 ][/HTML]

and that means we would be 1-0!! :Clap:

Wink ...sorry I had to say it.... Wink

ABSOLUTELY!
kybaseball Wrote:I wouldn't say Lewis will be a gimmie this year.New coach and a lot more numbers this year.

Just my opinion, Lewis had more numbers than Powell last year, everybody did except for Betsy Layne and Berea that was on the schedule, however Breathitt only had about 6 more, I think they finshed with 35 players.
Is there a KHSAA bylaw stating that if a team refuses to play a team in their district, thus forfeiting eliminates them from post-season play?

I'm just curious if this is a rule, or if it's speculation on what the KHSAA may do to a team that chooses do so?

Does anyone know the definite answer on this one? Myself, I really don't know.

If it is a rule, I guess it's pretty simple, but if it's not I guess we'll have to wait and see if they decide to intervene or just count the forfeit as a loss and still allow them to compete for postseason play.

Wonder what the timeline would be on such a decision, if any decision is being made at all?
RUNNING DOWNHILL Wrote:Is there a KHSAA bylaw stating that if a team refuses to play a team in their district, thus forfeiting eliminates them from post-season play?

I'm just curious if this is a rule, or if it's speculation on what the KHSAA may do to a team that chooses do so?

Does anyone know the definite answer on this one? Myself, I really don't know.

If it is a rule, I guess it's pretty simple, but if it's not I guess we'll have to wait and see if they decide to intervene or just count the forfeit as a loss and still allow them to compete for postseason play.

Wonder what the timeline would be on such a decision, if any decision is being made at all?

I may have found the answer. Read the rules for yourself and tell me what you think? The link is taken from the KHSAA handbook.
Pay special attention to page 2 of 4, on the left column near the top D)District Champion #2) and on page 3 of 4 near the bottom left IV)Eligibility to enter tournament play.

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/tournament...trules.pdf
I think a ruling will be issued in early to mid July. Should know something for sure, then.
NIECE Wrote:Just my opinion, Lewis had more numbers than Powell last year, everybody did except for Betsy Layne and Berea that was on the schedule, however Breathitt only had about 6 more, I think they finshed with 35 players.

How many players did Powell have last year? I know Lewis didn't have very many come out(Because coach Combs made them work and ran a tight ship and didn't play the name game).But according to the football people the numbers will be up.

Why doesn't Powell want to play HCHS ?
Because Cawood cancelled the game when everyone thought they were going to play a 5A schedule. Then they scheduled Walton Verona. Then KHSAA ruled that instead of playing in the proper class they would play Cawood's schedule. I guess someone was upset they weren't going to get the Mercer treatment and reversed their original decision. Now Powell is waiting on a ruling by the KHSAA to determine what will happen. As of now nothing is certain, so the speculation that some bitter members have is just speculation.
Sorry for not asking this earlier but who is HCHS?
I'll answer this one!

Harlan County High School = HCHS

This is the new consolidated school which includes Cumberland, Evarts, and Cawood. This Fall will be the first time the Black Bears of Harlan County will take the field! WOOT! GO Black Bears!

The dilema: The KHSAA has our new school finishing out the two year contract with Cawood's schedule which is 3A. Next year, we, HCHS, will be Class 5A and play teams like Letcher COunty Central, Perry County Central, Clay, Whitley. I think Powell Co thinks this is totally unfair and has chosen to NOT play this soon to be class 5A school in protest of the KHSAA making a true 3A school play a true 5A school (which IMO when the real numbers come in we will probably end up 4A). The question is....will Powell Co be able to participate in a playoff tournament if they refuse to play Harlan County High School. Some say yes, others say no. Have I missed anything??
Hmm i'm not sure I blame Powell that sounds like a really tough district game. This one will take a little thinking on.
kybaseball Wrote:Hmm i'm not sure I blame Powell that sounds like a really tough district game. This one will take a little thinking on.

I have said this once before and I'm not trying to rude or anything, but what happened to playing good teams to make yourself better?

I understand this is unfair, but this will be a first year team and nobody knows what they will do until they play a game or two. I have seen this type of attitude in the past with some local schools. When they had a good team they didn't care to play, but when they didn't have the best team they wanted to take their ball and go home.

It's okay for kids to lose they don't turn out to be serial killers because they lost a football game. I'm a firm believer that you must taste losing to enjoy winning!

But I'm just a fan there may be more to the whole situation then what I know.
I agree playing good teams to make yourself better,in football i would say it might be different. Nobody wants to have a team that has to play it's players against teams that do not.One teams players will fatige quicker and increase the injury rate.

I know from experince when we would play a bigger schools roll out the stretcher.

So i can see where Powell Co. is coming from.

No disrespect to anyone intended.