Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soccer Season
So the season is about ready to begin, world cup qualifing had begun and the Olympics are about to begin. Needless to say I am excitied for all of this. Even more exciting I was approached by the coaching staff by two high schools to coach. One of which I will be coaching at, so let the games begin. What is everyones thoughts on this season and good luck to all the teams and fans of soccer.:Cheerlead
Where will you be coaching or are you not going to say wherever it is I wish you the best of luck.
Corbin should be the team to beat in the region. They have a couple of key defensive players to replace, but return most of their key players. South Laurel & North Laurel should both be pretty good this year as well from this end. Who will be strong from the other districts?
SEKYFAN Wrote:Corbin should be the team to beat in the region. They have a couple of key defensive players to replace, but return most of their key players. South Laurel & North Laurel should both be pretty good this year as well from this end. Who will be strong from the other districts?

Pikeville be the team to beat in their district, they are young but are very nice players and are getting into the top of their form. They have a great midfield, but will lack at the goal keeper position and on the wings with their defense. I would like to see them play a 3-5-2 formation I think it would work to their strengths.

In the other district it will be Johnson Central. I coached most of the kids in REC league and they improved so much. For most of the season I had them running a 3-5-2 and it really worked well with their strenghts. It will all depend on if the high school coaching staff sees that or not. They have one heck of a defender who will be in his second year of playing whom I played at defensive mid during rec league one game and he did a supurb job. Then they have Ethan who is one heck of a stricker/winger/ATK mid, yes he is a utility player.

I agree with you though SEKY Corbin will be the team to beat. But I think that the second best team in the region this season will come out of this area being Pikeville. If the coaching staff can have them running the right formation and have them in great form they could make a run at the regional title.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Pikeville be the team to beat in their district, they are young but are very nice players and are getting into the top of their form. They have a great midfield, but will lack at the goal keeper position and on the wings with their defense. I would like to see them play a 3-5-2 formation I think it would work to their strengths.

In the other district it will be Johnson Central. I coached most of the kids in REC league and they improved so much. For most of the season I had them running a 3-5-2 and it really worked well with their strenghts. It will all depend on if the high school coaching staff sees that or not. They have one heck of a defender who will be in his second year of playing whom I played at defensive mid during rec league one game and he did a supurb job. Then they have Ethan who is one heck of a stricker/winger/ATK mid, yes he is a utility player.

I agree with you though SEKY Corbin will be the team to beat. But I think that the second best team in the region this season will come out of this area being Pikeville. If the coaching staff can have them running the right formation and have them in great form they could make a run at the regional title.

I think that Pikeville may need to try to beef up their schedule a little this year. It appeared that in last year's region that when they fell behind Corbin they did not handle it real well and they also seemed a little surprised at the speed of play in that match. They had some pretty good skill though and the team and fans all displayed good sportsmanship during and after the match.
Hopefully the region will be at Pikeville, Johnson Cental or Letcher Central and not at Perry Central this fall.
SEKYFAN Wrote:I think that Pikeville may need to try to beef up their schedule a little this year. It appeared that in last year's region that when they fell behind Corbin they did not handle it real well and they also seemed a little surprised at the speed of play in that match. They had some pretty good skill though and the team and fans all displayed good sportsmanship during and after the match.
Hopefully the region will be at Pikeville, Johnson Cental or Letcher Central and not at Perry Central this fall.

I think it is going to be held at either Pikeville or Johnson Central from what I am hearing the Perry Central thing was just a one time deal untill they are able to find a better field. It is crazy how far apart our region is spread out.

As for Pikeville I know exactly what you are talking about. The schedule has North Laurel, East Carter, Ashland Paul Blazer and OBI on it so they are working on that aspect of thing a little bit. It is just hard to get a game with the Lex Caths and such if you have not won a region title.

I remember my first year playing it was actually our first year having a team at Pike Central we made the regional tournament and had to face South Laurel back when they had Andy Johnson and those kids. Same year they barely missed making it to the elite eight where mroe than likely they would have went on to play in the Final Four. We were so shocked at the speed of play with the one touch passing and etc. We were down by one at half time which was not bad by any means with only 12 players and they subed every 5 minutes lol. But it is something to always remember, I have watched them train with Neto b/c i helped Neto with the camp and they have really built into a nice team. They would remind you a lot of what Corbin had last season. It will be very interesting, hope to see you at region or sometime during the season SEKY!
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I think it is going to be held at either Pikeville or Johnson Central from what I am hearing the Perry Central thing was just a one time deal untill they are able to find a better field. It is crazy how far apart our region is spread out.

As for Pikeville I know exactly what you are talking about. The schedule has North Laurel, East Carter, Ashland Paul Blazer and OBI on it so they are working on that aspect of thing a little bit. It is just hard to get a game with the Lex Caths and such if you have not won a region title.

I remember my first year playing it was actually our first year having a team at Pike Central we made the regional tournament and had to face South Laurel back when they had Andy Johnson and those kids. Same year they barely missed making it to the elite eight where mroe than likely they would have went on to play in the Final Four. We were so shocked at the speed of play with the one touch passing and etc. We were down by one at half time which was not bad by any means with only 12 players and they subed every 5 minutes lol. But it is something to always remember, I have watched them train with Neto b/c i helped Neto with the camp and they have really built into a nice team. They would remind you a lot of what Corbin had last season. It will be very interesting, hope to see you at region or sometime during the season SEKY!

Corbin is down at the Univ. of the Cumberlands camp this week.
Honestly Pikeville and Corbin are the teams to beat. JCHS is doing well too.
I think OBI is a really good team to beat.
R U SERIOUS. Perry has dominated Pikeville for 3 years. This is going to be a 4 peat in district and it will be somthing like a walk through a park. Corbin might be able to beat pcc but we will walk over ne other team, without a doubt in district play.:ChairHit: :ChairHit:Smile Smile :redboxer: :redboxer:
liveordie20 Wrote:R U SERIOUS. Perry has dominated Pikeville for 3 years. This is going to be a 4 peat in district and it will be somthing like a walk through a park. Corbin might be able to beat pcc but we will walk over ne other team, without a doubt in district play.:ChairHit: :ChairHit:Smile Smile :redboxer: :redboxer:
I have watched Pikeville play over the past 5 years and honestly the level of play has decreased. They have Lunsford who is a good player where ever you stick him, Watts is one heck of a MF/FW and then the only other good player in my eyes that they have is Brashear. It is not like Perry plays pretty soccer nor does any other team around but you make them out to be Gods. schedule Henry Clay and get your butt handed to you once and then come back talking. Perry's style of play is this push numbers forward until you get one goal and then play long ball the rest of the game. Then hope you get a couple of insurance goals.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I have watched Pikeville play over the past 5 years and honestly the level of play has decreased. They have Lunsford who is a good player where ever you stick him, Watts is one heck of a MF/FW and then the only other good player in my eyes that they have is Brashear. It is not like Perry plays pretty soccer nor does any other team around but you make them out to be Gods. schedule Henry Clay and get your butt handed to you once and then come back talking. Perry's style of play is this push numbers forward until you get one goal and then play long ball the rest of the game. Then hope you get a couple of insurance goals.

Then u havent seen them play. There game is far above the teams from this area. We had south down 4-2 with 20 minutes left without our starting goalie, however they did come back and tie the game but with Sizemore in goal i must say it wouldnt have happened. And yes Jake watts and JR Lunsford r very good players but along with Amis, Vellincia, Brasher, and Hall they have as much or more talent then anyone.
liveordie20 Wrote:Then u havent seen them play. There game is far above the teams from this area. We had south down 4-2 with 20 minutes left without our starting goalie, however they did come back and tie the game but with Sizemore in goal i must say it wouldnt have happened. And yes Jake watts and JR Lunsford r very good players but along with Amis, Vellincia, Brasher, and Hall they have as much or more talent then anyone.

Never said any team from this area was better just stated it is not pretty soccer and that the level of player there has decreased since you played there, since Zack Hall, Andrew Lunsford and Ray Lee played there. I states that Brashear was a good player. But I have seen them play and was not impressed with Vellincia, Amis or Hall. Amis is very athletic and has a big body which makes him look like a decent defender I will give him that but his over all TRUE soccer play is not anything to be wooed over. Vallincia is a decent forward. As a midfielder which is where he spent most of his time last season was not very good. He is sort of slower then what you would expect and footwork needs work but he is young and that will come with time. Hall is a decent player as well BUT when you look at Pikeville they have alot of talent on the team all over the field. What kills them is their defense. Also I do not see how you could say I am wrong that Perry gets up early and then pushes numbers back and play more defensivly when I have spoke to many Perry soccer players just with in the past couple of days and they said the same thing. Not kids that play there now but kids who have played there. I respect your opinion though and do think Perry will win district but I think Pikeville will give them one heck of a game. Another team to look out for is Paintsville to be honest and Johnson Central.
Corbin is currently 5-3 with the losses to Ryle, Berea & Danville. They have not really played very well offensively against the better competition although they have been trying to implement a new formation and have also had some players injured. They play South Laurel Tuesday and hopefully Corbin's center mid will be 100% for that game with North Laurel, Perry Central & Madison Central following on the schedule.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Corbin is currently 5-3 with the losses to Ryle, Berea & Danville. They have not really played very well offensively against the better competition although they have been trying to implement a new formation and have also had some players injured. They play South Laurel Tuesday and hopefully Corbin's center mid will be 100% for that game with North Laurel, Perry Central & Madison Central following on the schedule.

The Corbin Perry game is always exciting...