•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
letthebighogroot Wrote:Don't hurt in the least......Its called making a roster.........Look into it. Never once said he didn't get drafted. Got any NBA stats for him? Didn't think so. Pretty obvious that most of you Pike County posters don't like to deal with facts as they pertain to your hero. Seems that most do however like to take shots at other posters that post the FACTS. I have posted that Mr. May, if your talking about the high school level is in fact the best from the mountains. Pardon me if we have different opinions about the levels of college basketball and Mr. May's DI career.
Filling a roster, maybe. But did you or JR fill a NBA roster? Did you even get a chance to play at the NAIA level? You have your opinion, I have mine. To be honest, the two players have different styles of play, so I guess it would depend on which style you like the best. JR was a banger down low. Todd was more of inside outside player, depending on what happened each trip down the court.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:, so I guess it would depend on which style you like the best. JR was a banger down low.

I agree 100% I always like the guys who would get down in there and scrap.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Tried to be civil in this discussion and then you go and call me a Pike County guy. I'll refer to them as fightin words. :redboxer: Smile

OK, there then name me somebody else that got drafted then. You asked for evidence , there's your evidence.

Yeah, I'd say you are getting tired of the discussion. Ya cant stay in there is why.Big Grin You got FACTED there lil' buddy. Gettin hot, ain't it.Smile

One off the top of my head is Orbie Lee Bowling, drafted by the Knicks, PLAYED for them, also PLAYED for the Kentucky Colonels, then later PLAYED for the Washington GENERALS. Big man, check. From the mountains, check. Not only drafted but actually PLAYED...........check. Again, I'm done with this thread:Thumbs:
letthebighogroot Wrote:One off the top of my head is Orbie Lee Bowling, drafted by the Knicks, PLAYED for them, also PLAYED for the Kentucky Colonels, then later PLAYED for the Washington GENERALS. Big man, check. From the mountains, check. Not only drafted but actually PLAYED...........check. Again, I'm done with this thread:Thumbs:
You mean your leaving and taking your ball home with you?Smile
#1.) Todd May
#2.) Jr. Vanhoose.
IMO.
kyrifle Wrote:Let me throw a coupls names out here for you to ponder.
In 1957, Bob Daniels, Oil Springs High, played college basketball and baseball at WKU
was drafted by the Cincinnati Royals of the NBA and the Pittsburg Pirates MLB. Chose baseball over basketball. Pitched in the pirates orginazation for a few years before having to hang it up with arm trouble. Went on to coach Ky Weslyan to 2 national championships before moving on to coach Marshall Uni.

Charlie Osborne, Flat Gap High, Played at WKU. Drafted by the Syracuse Nationals of the NBA in 1961. Probably the best offensive player to come out of the 57th district.
Second on the KHSAA scoring leader stat. Finished high school with 3647 points.
Seems unreal that two guys from the mountains still hold the number 1 and 2 positions on the career scoring list, both from the 15th region.

Orbie Bowling, Sandy Hook High, played college ball at Tennessee drafted by the New York Knicks in 1963. Played for the KY Colonels 1967-68 year.

These guys were true centers. I think JR and Dan Hall were both true centers. Todd May was a very skilled and versitle player who could play center or forward.
It's really hard to compare guys from different era's but good players can play in any era there is. They just find a way to compete.

If you're going to pick just one player in high school based on points production and rebounding I think Charlie Osborne is the guyto go with. His stats verify it. JMO
and opinions are like ears everyone will have a couple.

I agreee with you Kyrifle, I think Charlie was one of best. I attached a link below about Charlie and his playing days at WKU. I been told that Rupp wanted Charlie to play at UK, but Rupp wanted Charlie to play forward instead of center, but Charlie wanted to play center and signed to play for Coach Diddle at WKU.

http://www.hilltopperhaven.com/legends/osborne.html
I'd read this article in the WKU sports archives several years ago. It's good to see someone other than myself that knows a little mountain history of it's players. Charlie was playing in a independent league in Paintsville, Ky in the early 70's along side his former high school player Carroll Burchett, and he could still play the game. The last time I spoke with Charlie he was telling me about Rupp wanting to move him to forward. Turned out pretty good him going to WKU. Osborne was the type of player that would body you the whole game. Todd and J.R. were both excellent players in high school, but the HORSE would hav dominated either one of them, because they were both finess players and didn't like a big body on them.
Thanks for posting the link, maybe some of the posters that can't go back more than 10 or 20 years can see what another era had to offer.
kyrifle Wrote:Todd and J.R. were both excellent players in high school, but the HORSE would hav dominated either one of them, because they were both finess players and didn't like a big body on them.

I don't recall being a "finess" player in high school. I loved to beat and bang on people, even in college. I think you just called me something I have never been mistaken for, a "finess" player!!
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I don't recall being a "finess" player in high school. I loved to beat and bang on people, even in college. I think you just called me something I have never been mistaken for, a "finess" player!!
I was thinking the same thing...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I don't recall being a "finess" player in high school. I loved to beat and bang on people, even in college. I think you just called me something I have never been mistaken for, a "finess" player!!

I always thought you were a banger and a good one too.:thumpsup:
prolly not the best but rodney mitchell was a force for clay county...i think he graduated in 04 maybe....he is playing at alice lloyd not UK, morehead or EKU. but it is college ball, and he has done really well, just my opinion though
Ben Thomas from Lee Co. has to be one of the best undersized big man in the history of ky basketball..i always liked to watch him drop step and just hammer down the goal over ppl half a foot his size..we used to call him hercules
Todd May, with JR coming next
basketballfan000 Wrote:Todd May, with JR coming next

The 15th Region fans don't get out much.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Wow!!

Only 2 players from the 14th and 0 from the 13th on your list. Larry Stamper should be higher than 15th. He was a rugged 6'8 who took his high school team to an OT loss to Lou Seneca from playing in the 1968 state championship game against Glasgow. Then he went on to eventually earn a starting spot on the UK teams of the early 1970s.

Also, there were other great players not listed. Bobby Slusher was 6'7 all stater at Lone Jack in the late 1950s who averaged about 50 points per game and who was coveted by Adolph Rupp but let his career slip away with some bad personal decisions.

Breathitt County has had several star big men over the years. Cecil Clair was a 6'7 center and an all stater who starred at Morehead State in the early 1960s. Doug Cundiff was a 6'6 or 6'7 big man who was a an all stater and star in the late 1950s. 6'5 Charlie Turner and 6'5 Larry Noble starred at Breathitt and later played college ball at
Berea and Austin Peay, repsectively. Arch Johnson was a 6'6 center/forward who was an started and all OVC at Morehead State.

I think Hindman had a big man in the 1960s by the name of John Turner that was very good. Hazard has had some good ones over the years, namely the Rose players, Jim and Chester. Jim played on Western Kentucky's 1971 Final Four team. Owsley County had 6'5 Jeff 'Moose' Moore who was MVP of the 1990 State All A tournament and later played college ball in Florida. Lee County had 6'8 Jeff Ginnan that was a member of the UK team in the late 1980s.

Breathit High had Tim Gross in the early 90's.He was 6'4" but played like 6'8".
todd may
I don't know if he has been talked about or not, but he wasn't a big man in size but he played the middle. Josh Leathers from Millard and Elkhorn City. Josh was a great talent and should have went onto play in college. Another one is Barry Hopkins who played at Millard I think in the late 80's the kid was 6'6" and was a beast. I am not saying either of these were the best big men but they were great players. As far as the best big man I ever seen play that would be JR VanHoose and the best I ever played against as I never has the honor of playing against the Paintsville teams when they were flat out awsome, but the best I played against was I think the name was Adam Tackett from Greenup Co.
new o Wrote:Mike May is Todd's older brother. Was offered by Morehead but went to Pikeville College where he lead the nation in boards and was 2 time small college all american. Todd was not a selfish player at all. I played with him and against him and trust me if you were to put May and Vanhoose against each other it would have gotten ugly. Vanhoose would have gotten a few boards and a few baskets but May would have abused him offensively. Also May was very underrated as a defensive player but he averaged 5 blocks a game in HS.

I never seen Todd May play, but I watched JR and its hard to imagine any player from the mountains beating him like you just said that May would. How many games did you watch Vanhoose play to make you say that?
kybaseball Wrote:I will admit i was off base about Euton.I think he might be just a hair better outside shooter,But May has more tools for sure.

You hit the nail on the head about Knipp and the competition factor

Was the Terry kid from Rose Hill playing with them?

I hope this is ok to talk about this here.Knipp and Terry are big men in the 16th region present day.

Dude, you need to come and watch Scott County play this season, you have an open invitation from me, I have season tickets so just pick a home game you would like to see. Euton is not even the best big man on the team, Richie Phares is by far. Phares is a 6-7 big man with tremendous touch and feel around the basket. I am thinking last season he averaged about 17ppg, 8 boards, shot 77% from the line with over 200 attempts for the season. What really caught my eye with him was the game a couple of years ago against Mason Co, of course Miller was there at Mason, Bud Mackey and Matt Walls were the stars for Scott Co, Phares was matched up with Miller all night, Phares went 7-7 from the field for 15 pts. Now he is two years older, stronger and smarter, most people have him as a mid-major type D-1 prospect, he still needs to put on a few more pounds of muscle to be really effective at the next level.
A-TRAIN Wrote:Dude, you need to come and watch Scott County play this season, you have an open invitation from me, I have season tickets so just pick a home game you would like to see. Euton is not even the best big man on the team, Richie Phares is by far. Phares is a 6-7 big man with tremendous touch and feel around the basket. I am thinking last season he averaged about 17ppg, 8 boards, shot 77% from the line with over 200 attempts for the season. What really caught my eye with him was the game a couple of years ago against Mason Co, of course Miller was there at Mason, Bud Mackey and Matt Walls were the stars for Scott Co, Phares was matched up with Miller all night, Phares went 7-7 from the field for 15 pts. Now he is two years older, stronger and smarter, most people have him as a mid-major type D-1 prospect, he still needs to put on a few more pounds of muscle to be really effective at the next level.

Dude,I appreciate the offer, I was refering to Euton in the 16 the region not the 11th. Euton is a good 3 point shooter was my point. I was not cracking on your guy what so ever,:igiveup: :igiveup:

If I show you buying dinner?Big Grin Steak is a personal favorite of mine.Big Grin
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)