•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
Chuck Taylor Wrote:At 6'4" it is hard to classify Wah Wah as a center...regardless what position he played during his high school years....

One thing is for sure...Wah Wah holds the unique distinction of being an All-American under both legends Rupp and Bryant when both coached at Kentucky. He is the only player to have his number retired in both football and basketball at Kentucky...without a doubt the best athlete from the mountains...

Best big man from the mountains is hands down Todd May...anyone else remember him dropping down 48 points against a Lexington school at the beginning of his junior year??? He was selected by the San Antonio Spurs in 4th round (#73 pick overall) of 1987 NBA Draft.

[Image: http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Pl...dd_may.jpg]
In the 40s 6'4" was considered a "big man" in high school. Now, not so much.
He's listed as a forward-center at UK. He was a "big man" for his time and he actually stayed at Kentucky. He was drafted in the first round. May isn't in the same league, literally.
rojas Wrote:You may need a refresher course in geography. A mountain is any landform that has a relief of over 1000 feet. Only the areas of Kentucky south of Pine Mountain and north of Stone Mountain are real mountains. The other counties of eastern Kentucky are in the Cumberland Platue. There are no real mountains in Hazard, Prestonsburg, Paintsville, etc.

As far as naming players, I would go with Wallace Jones also. He was All American, National Champion, Olympic gold medal winner, all SEC in football and basketball three times.

You my friend need to buy and study an atlas. While your at it have someone explain to u what a "big man" is. Jones was not a big man.
bballfan96 Wrote:1. Todd May
2. everyone else

I agree, this is the only real way to answer this question...

As for those who are putting VanHoose first, over May, I would just say sorry, but no. VanHoose was a great player, and I respect his accomplishments, but Todd May was in another league. Both in high school and during his playing days at Pikeville College. It's a shame we'll never know what he would have done had he stayed at UK, but he still has to get the nod for this question, hands down.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
palmer Wrote:He's listed as a forward-center at UK. He was a "big man" for his time and he actually stayed at Kentucky. He was drafted in the first round. May isn't in the same league, literally.

I disagree...IMHO Jones was not a big man...

But I feel Jones is one of the best to ever come from the mountains...
In the 40s 6'4" and 6'5" was a very big man in high school basketball.
Maybe the second best of all of them was Bobby Lee Slusher from Lone Jack High School class of 57. Many old timers say he was better than anyone who ever came out of the mountains. A high school head coach told me he easily had NBA talent. He was 6'6" and had several games in which he scored over 75 points. His top scoring game was 83 points against arch rival Pineville. He was recruited by Rupp and probably would have been a star at UK if he hadn't been kicked out of school for stealing and general drunkedness. His talents were pretty much wasted after high school. Lone Jack's regular season record was 23-1 Slusher's senior year with their only loss coming to Ralph Carlisle and Lafayette. Lone Jack was upset by Clay County in the regional semi finals after beating Clay County twice during the regular season.
I really don't care, but anyone that thinks that Todd May was not the best man, and even player that has played in the last 25 years either is young or knows nothing about basketball. He waw way ahead of his time. He was 6'9 or better and could shoot. Untill I see someone of the same size and skill do the same, I am not going to put my hopes one a 6 guard. Lets be really. If you are not 6'5 and can do it all you are riding the bench at a D-1 school.
I dont't even this is a debat!! Todd May
Chuck Taylor Wrote:I disagree...IMHO Jones was not a big man...

But I feel Jones is one of the best to ever come from the mountains...

Jones was a center in high school, won a state championship in high school and a national championship in college. How can he not be considered a big man?
basketballfan000 Wrote:I really don't care, but anyone that thinks that Todd May was not the best man, and even player that has played in the last 25 years either is young or knows nothing about basketball. He waw way ahead of his time. He was 6'9 or better and could shoot. Untill I see someone of the same size and skill do the same, I am not going to put my hopes one a 6 guard. Lets be really. If you are not 6'5 and can do it all you are riding the bench at a D-1 school.

If you aren't 6-5 you are riding the bench at a D-1 school?

Look up Phil Cox and Charles Thomas and get back with me.
BondJamesBond Wrote:going back to the ole school...

steve smith of Mcdowell, lead team to state tournament later played at North Carolina St.

Dan Hall of Betsy Layne, many do not remember what a ball-handler Big Dan was.

Todd May what more needs to be mentioned.

I'm sure there are others like King Kelly an J.R.

Your right, these were some great big men to say the least. Something many might not know is Big Dan Hall is perhaps the only one to own a NCAA championship ring even though he didn't get alot of playing time behind Roby and Phillips. He and Smith had some battles when Dan was a freshman and I think Steve was a senior in High School. Another great big man some might not know was Larry Patton who either played for Garret or Wayland one of the two. He scored 44 points against Smith the last year he played High School and went on to play for Virginia Commonwealth. I think Larry was about 6' 8" or something.
In 60 years some kid will probably be saying Todd May wasn't a big man. He was only 6'8".
Not to get off topic but i have a question. Why did May leave UK?
kybaseball Wrote:Not to get off topic but i have a question. Why did May leave UK?

Could possibly have had something to do with not getting 30 shots a night......just saying.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Could possibly have had something to do with not getting 30 shots a night......just saying.

After posting my question it seemed like he was promised something like 4 minutes a half of playing time by coach Joe B Hall if he choose UK. Not sure if that is right or not.Thats been a while ago.WOW.
I must say i am suprised at the lack of info on Mr. May.
The greatest big man ever from the mountains should have been able to get all the shots he wanted at UK. I'd rank some of the guys who actually played in the OVC higher. Who knows what they could have done at Pikeville.
May didn't stay around UK to long.What did he play like 4 games and hit the road. It would have been interesting if he would have stayed.

I saw Vanhoose play more than May I will go with him because he stuck it out at one school. And there's no telling what he would have done at Pikeville.

Vanhoose was more than capable of playing at UK.Tubby dropped the ball on him and Lofton.
Here is my Top 15. None of these players are in the same class as Todd May. I watched him play during his career. I watch alot alot of high school basketball.

1. Todd May-Virgie
2. John Pelfrey-Paintsville
3.JR Vanhoose-Paintsville
4. Dan Hall-Betsy Layne
5.Jon Bentley-Hazard
6.Myron Mindolavic-Elkhorn City (Spelling????)
7.Mark Surgalsk- Ashland
8. Mike May-Virgie
9. Craig Ratliff-Paintsville
10. Josh Mckenzie-Paintsville
11.Mike Scott- Greenup Co. (Snowman)
12. Kyle Umberger- Ashland
13. Steve Smith- Mcdowell
14. Jackson Julson-East Carter
15.Larry Stamper- Lee Co.
kybaseball, May would eat Vanhoose alive. May could handle the ball, shoot outside and post up. He could of shoot the 3 also, but the 3 point line wasn't around during his day. May is the besy player ever to come out of the mountains. I'm not knocking Vanhoose, he could post up and was good around the basket, but May did a lot of things.
ERblue4ever Wrote:Here is my Top 15. None of these players are in the same class as Todd May. I watched him play during his career. I watch alot alot of high school basketball.

1. Todd May-Virgie
4. Dan Hall-Betsy Layne5.Jon Bentley-Hazard
7.Mark Surgalsk- Ashland
8. Mike May-Virgie
It amazes me that Dan Hall gets constantly mentioned in these things. Dan could pass the ball well for a big man, but that was about it. He was a big wuss in the middle that you could push around and have your way with. . Look I am only 6'1" and I once sent a ball 10 rows into the stands on him. Dan Hall never played at UK and then in turn never played much when he went to Marshall. The most over rated player that I can think of.

How can Larry Stamper be rated below most of these guys? He had a pretty solid career at UK on some pretty good teams. How can you rank him below Mike May, Craig Ratliff, and Josh McKenzie in particular. I dont like your list at all, as it may show your age somewhat, but I guess every one is entitled to their opinion.

I personally would have Mike Castle from the early days of Johnson Central and Alvin Ratliff from Meade Memorial, and Carrol Burchett from Flat Gap, above a big chunk of the guys that you have listed.

But I agree with you that Todd May is probaly the best to have played from this area, with VanHoose a very close second. VanHoose was more of a true center, while May was more of a forward type talent. They had different styles.
palmer Wrote:The greatest big man ever from the mountains should have been able to get all the shots he wanted at UK. I'd rank some of the guys who actually played in the OVC higher. Who knows what they could have done at Pikeville.

Maybe you need to do a little homework and see who was on the Kentucky team when May was a freshman. My guess is that you are too young to recognize their names.
kybaseball Wrote:I must say i am suprised at the lack of info on Mr. May.

Many urban legends as why May left Kentucky.

Bottom line is that he was not happy. For whatever reason.

Many may have forgotten that May left Kentucky and transferred to Wake Forest (one of the schools on his final list before choosing Kentucky). He broke his foot while he was there and became aggrevated when he felt that Wake Forest pressured him into playing before his foot properly healed.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Maybe you need to do a little homework and see who was on the Kentucky team when May was a freshman. My guess is that you are too young to recognize their names.

Do you figure they were better than these guys?

The Fabulous Five

One frequently asked question tossed at basketball historians and sports authorities is, "Who were the ‘Fabulous Five’ of Kentucky?” The answer is Alex Groza (center), Ralph Beard and Kenny Rollins (guards), “Wah Wah” Jones and Cliff Barker (forwards). This famous 1947-48 team, captained by Rollins, won 36 and lost 3 while sweeping to Kentucky’s first NCAA title. The Fabulous Five then went on to participate as a unit in the Olympic Games, helping the USA team capture the world championship. Rollins graduated after the 1948 season, but the remaining four starters continued to play havoc with collegiate basketball and captured another NCAA title for Kentucky in 1949
with a record of 32-2.
ERblue4ever Wrote:Here is my Top 15. None of these players are in the same class as Todd May. I watched him play during his career. I watch alot alot of high school basketball.

1. Todd May-Virgie
4. Dan Hall-Betsy Layne
5.Jon Bentley-Hazard
7.Mark Surgalsk- Ashland
8. Mike May-Virgie

Did the 13th Region get kicked out of the mountains?
ERblue4ever Wrote:kybaseball, May would eat Vanhoose alive. May could handle the ball, shoot outside and post up. He could of shoot the 3 also, but the 3 point line wasn't around during his day. May is the besy player ever to come out of the mountains. I'm not knocking Vanhoose, he could post up and was good around the basket, but May did a lot of things.

Best to ever come out of the mountains? Have you heard of Wah Wah Jones, Johnny Cox, Phil Cox, Richie Farmer, Frank Selvey

Phil Cox averaged 35.3 points per game as a junior and 28.7 points as a senior at Cawood High School when he won Kentucky's Mr. Basketball award.
During Cox's senior year of college, he became Vanderbilt's all-time scoring leader with 1,724 points passing Mike Rhodes (1978-81) who collected 1,699 points. As a senior, the guard was named to the First Team All-SEC while receiving the Civitan Sportsmanship Award.
ERblue4ever Wrote:kybaseball, May would eat Vanhoose alive. May could handle the ball, shoot outside and post up. He could of shoot the 3 also, but the 3 point line wasn't around during his day. May is the besy player ever to come out of the mountains. I'm not knocking Vanhoose, he could post up and was good around the basket, but May did a lot of things.

I respect your opinion.And i don't doubt you on his skills. Like I said i remember May playing I never got to watch him play as much as Vanhoose. I picked Vanhoose over May because he seemed more like a team player and a lot more steady and more mature than May was.May struck me as the type that it was all about him. He transferred twice I may be off base but that was the way it seemed to me.
Who is Mike May?
Mike May is Todd's older brother. Was offered by Morehead but went to Pikeville College where he lead the nation in boards and was 2 time small college all american. Todd was not a selfish player at all. I played with him and against him and trust me if you were to put May and Vanhoose against each other it would have gotten ugly. Vanhoose would have gotten a few boards and a few baskets but May would have abused him offensively. Also May was very underrated as a defensive player but he averaged 5 blocks a game in HS.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next