•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
I don't remember saying he was better than May at this stage of his career. But I bet he is more advanced than May was at the same age.We will see how good Knipp is his SR year.However he is playing against a lot better athletes.And i'm not talking about high school teams I mean AAU teams with players from several different states.

It's a different game now days ladies and gentlemen.As far as players getting out younger playing hand picked teams.Kids are facing much stiffer competition.I don't understand why people can't see or don't want to see that.

May played his high school ball over 25 yrs ago people.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Yes, May would dominate Euton, Euton is overrated IMHO. Knipp last year was a 15 yr old freshman playing with 3 kids that could easily be first team all state this season. After a summer of playing on the same AAU team as Vinny Zollo, Dominique Ferguson, Michael Avery, etc. Look for him to be much more agressive. Todd May never seen that kind of competition........not in NAIA, don't even say it.
I'll say this then. How about the competetion he played with at UK or Wake Forest?

For whatever reason he left UK for is totally irrelevent. The fact is he was just beginning to see some quality playing time at UK as a freshman on a danged good Kentucky team that year when he decided to transfer, and in my opinion would have been an impact player at UK before his senior season. Not his fault he was injured at Wake Forest. Remember Wake Forest is not exactly in a cupcake league either.

Knipp will never have the size or athleticism to play a forward position at a D1 school like May, so he should not even be in the comparison discussions. He'll never be recruited by the schools that May was.
kybaseball Wrote:I don't remember saying he was better than May at this stage of his career. But I bet he is more advanced than May was at the same age.We will see how good Knipp is his SR year.However he is playing against a lot better athletes.And i'm not talking about high school teams I mean AAU teams with players from several different states.

It's a different game now days ladies and gentlemen.As far as players getting out younger playing hand picked teams.Kids are facing much stiffer competition.I don't understand why people can't see or don't want to see that.

May played his high school ball over 25 yrs ago people.
Different game? Oh really. Man you must really be young. All the And1 stuff dont make the game better. Bottom line talent is talent is talent is talent. It's common for all of you young guys to think what you all did and saw is bigger and better than those things you know nothing about and never saw.

Perhaps you are the one that just cant see a few things, because heck maybe you never saw any of it (or participated in it) yourself to begin with. I have and I did.

I dont mean to be a smart alleck, but the board is full of guys with your age factor playing into whatever you post on here. You are a good poster however.
kybaseball Wrote:i think my statement holds a lot of credence.

May is not in the same class as Walker and Griffth.Sorry no disrespect meant.
Knipp is young but i think he could give May all he could handle if they were the same age.

I know Miller could handel May but i would take JR over Miller anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Late 70s early 80's compared to mid to late 90's is a little more than a decade.

As far as compairing Duncan to Shaq you said you would take a Duncan type player if i understand it right. I mention earlier that it depend on what kind of player you like would pick your side of the debate. :Thumbs:

MR KIMBALL I respect your side of the debate and as a poster on this board I would hope you would do the same.

All one has to do is go to the KHSAA site look up the basketball records and see who's name is there and who isn't.

[B]May was a fine athlete and player I have stated i didn't get to see him play much.I just like the way JR played and the way he carried himself on and off the court.That is why he is my #1.May seemed to be a little selfish and if it wasn't about him he picked up his toys and moved on. He did transferr twice so that says a lot[/B].
Didn't say that he was in the same class, but you seem to infer that that generation of players were inferior to the current generation. I just I think you are dead wrong and might be slightly generation biased.

Technicaly you could say that he only transferred once. I believe when he left Wake Forrest he felt his career was over due to his injury, and then decided to give it another try a little later on.

And as far as whatever skill challenge he faced at Pikeville College, The San Antonio Spurs evidently felt he was talent worthy enough to give a shot to by drafting him. They didn't seem to care that he finished up his career at Pikeville College.

It's fine that you liked the way JR played, because I did too. I support another local high school, but I always enjoyed watching him and his teammates play. I respect your choice and your opinion.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Different game? Oh really. Man you must really be young. All the And1 stuff dont make the game better. Bottom line talent is talent is talent is talent. It's common for all of you young guys to think what you all did and saw is bigger and better than those things you know nothing about and never saw.

Perhaps you are the one that just cant see a few things, because heck maybe you never saw any of it (or participated in it) yourself to begin with. I have and I did.

I dont mean to be a smart alleck, but the board is full of guys with your age factor playing into whatever you post on here. You are a good poster however.

I hate to admit it but i'm not much younger than May.Sad I have played plenty of basketball in my day.Now my sons play and it is a different world from when I played.
Mr.Kimball you are a good poster as well. I have enjoyed debating this subject with you.

I have said it before and will say it again I would take either one of them on my team.

What ever happen to May?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I'll say this then. How about the competetion he played with at UK or Wake Forest?

For whatever reason he left UK for is totally irrelevent. The fact is he was just beginning to see some quality playing time at UK as a freshman on a danged good Kentucky team that year when he decided to transfer, and in my opinion would have been an impact player at UK before his senior season. Not his fault he was injured at Wake Forest. Remember Wake Forest is not exactly in a cupcake league either.

Knipp will never have the size or athleticism to play a forward position at a D1 school like May, so he should not even be in the comparison discussions. He'll never be recruited by the schools that May was.

He already is being courted by schools of the same league as May. Guest of Billy G's at Midnight Madness last year, the LSU football game the following day, participant in this years elite camp..... As a 14 and 15 year old kid. Lets hold off the passing judgement on the kid for now. Billy G might know more about basketball and athleticism than you.
I saw Knipp dunk in the eigth grade a few times that is pretty athletic to me. Then step outside and drain a few 3 pointers.And this was after practicing with the varsity before the game.
letthebighogroot Wrote:He already is being courted by schools of the same league as May. Guest of Billy G's at Midnight Madness last year, the LSU football game the following day, participant in this years elite camp..... As a 14 and 15 year old kid. Lets hold off the passing judgement on the kid for now. Billy G might know more about basketball and athleticism than you.
Oh yeah, I had forgotten all about the guy that has offered every kindergarten kid in America a scholarship that can dribble a basketball. Hey, I wonder why Knipp never got his offer. Every one else got theirs. :confused:

You'll have to come up with something better to offer to the conversation than what that piece of trash Billy G has done, or not done.:yawn:
kybaseball Wrote:I saw Knipp dunk in the eigth grade a few times that is pretty athletic to me. Then step outside and drain a few 3 pointers.And this was after practicing with the varsity before the game.

Johnson Central has a 6'5" freshman that can do the exact same thing too, but I dont think we'll ever see him at UK or any other D1 school however.
What ever happen to May?

I dont know what he does for a living, but he is an assistant coach at Pikeville High School.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:What ever happen to May?

I dont know what he does for a living, but he is an assistant coach at Pikeville High School.

Thanks for the info.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:What ever happen to May?

I know his dad runs an auto parts store. I think Todd worked there at one point, but I don't know if he still does.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Oh yeah, I had forgotten all about the guy that has offered every kindergarten kid in America a scholarship that can dribble a basketball. Hey, I wonder why Knipp never got his offer. Every one else got theirs. :confused:

You'll have to come up with something better to offer to the conversation than what that piece of trash Billy G has done, or not done.:yawn:

Ouch! Looks like someone doesn't like to be shown up. With your eye for talent and ability to evaluate players can't believe a D1 school ain't nabbed you. Just for arguments sake.........How many D1 schools were there looking at May as an 8th grader? As for Knipp's offer, no he don't have one from UK yet, but he holds them from EKU and WKU, I guess they are coached by pieces of trash also?
Knipp already has offers from EKU and WKU? That's not bad not bad at all. If his career progresses those won't be the only schools that come a knocking.

Back to the post
1 Vanhoose
2 Julson
3 Scott
4 May
5 Howell
letthebighogroot Wrote:Ouch! Looks like someone doesn't like to be shown up. With your eye for talent and ability to evaluate players can't believe a D1 school ain't nabbed you. Just for arguments sake.........How many D1 schools were there looking at May as an 8th grader? As for Knipp's offer, no he don't have one from UK yet, but he holds them from EKU and WKU, I guess they are coached by pieces of trash also?
Shown up?:confused:

Bad knees!!

Yeah and like I'm supposed to take your word, that he has those offers. If your not his dad, like you would really know.Rolleyes In your mind does a letter in the mail mean an offer? Offer a little proof on that Big Hawg.

Naw, just Gillispie.

Aint exactly the SEC or the ACC either, is it?Smile
kybaseball Wrote:Knipp already has offers from EKU and WKU? That's not bad not bad at all. If his career progresses those won't be the only schools that come a knocking.

Back to the post
1 Vanhoose
2 Julson
3 Scott
4 May
5 Howell
Ok so what we've got here is a list of 5 guys. Out of all 5 of these guys we have only one that's gets drafted to play in the NBA, and you've got him ranked in the #4 spot.

Hmmmmmm.:confused:

Go figure!!!
Garrison Collins definetly deserves some mention. His brother is also going to get some play time this season so let's see how he does.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Ok so what we've got here is a list of 5 guys. Out of all 5 of these guys we have only one that's gets drafted to play in the NBA, and you've got him ranked in the #4 spot.

Go figure!!!

Well............And I'm not picking on the anyone, Someone that was drafted and actually made a pro roster and played isn't even listed. Since you sir like to act like nobody knows basketball like yourself, ever hear of Orbie Lee (Chief) Bowling??? Drafted by the Knicks, played his pro ball with the old Kentucky Colonels. Using your reasoning he is better than May. Here's the thing........PPL have different opinions. :eek:

Go Figure!!!!!!!!!!!
letthebighogroot Wrote:Well............And I'm not picking on the anyone, Someone that was drafted and actually made a pro roster and played isn't even listed. Since you sir like to act like nobody knows basketball like yourself, ever hear of Orbie Lee (Chief) Bowling??? Drafted by the Knicks, played his pro ball with the old Kentucky Colonels. Using your reasoning he is better than May. Here's the thing........PPL have different opinions. :eek:

Go Figure!!!!!!!!!!!
Hmmmm. Kind of obvious now that it's really someone else that cant stand to be shown up.Sad
Oops didn't mean to put May there I am trying to make sure I have my spelling right so I won't get any more big red signs.:p

As being young I am not much younger than May so i do know a little. Just hard to remember it all.Smile

1 Vanhoose
2 May
3 Scott
4 Howell
5 Julson

By the way great pic of the Chuckie T's.:Thumbs: I wore many a pair when I was younger.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Ok so what we've got here is a list of 5 guys. Out of all 5 of these guys we have only one that's gets drafted to play in the NBA, and you've got him ranked in the #4 spot.

Go figure!!!

I don't think he would be drafted today though. But I could be wrong wouldn't be the first time.Smile
I did not bother to read the other post --I will just give my choice Todd May. He was far ahead of his time. He is what teams are looking for now. A 6-9 or taller guy that can do it all. As far as seeing him or going on this or that, I did see him play and played with him. I will say this. I once seen him score in the 60's in an independent tournament (before someone gives me grap about that) that had two people guarding him and he hit like 16 3's. The reason I remember this is because the guys started give him crap and saying that he was scared to play in the middle so the next few times down the floor he just went up and dunked it. Anyone that knows history will know that he was one of the leading scores and I think his senior year the leading scorer in college basketball. He was drafted by the Spurs and the reason he did not make the team was because they had this young player that was just getting out of the navy. From what I know he had sever foot trouble that led to several decisions about playing and where. Just my OP. I am sure that several will have a great time ripping me apart. Have a nice day!!!
Just a thought before I go to bed. Has anyone considered that Kelly Coleman would be considered a big man in the region right now with him being (what 6'6, 6'7. The last time I looked at history of high school sports, most people thought that he was not to bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Maybe you need to do a little homework and see who was on the Kentucky team when May was a freshman. My guess is that you are too young to recognize their names.

Everybody who disagrees must be young it seems.

Who was on the team then? How many more titles did they win than the Fabulous Five? Are you too young to remember?
basketballfan000 Wrote:I did not bother to read the other post --I will just give my choice Todd May. He was far ahead of his time. He is what teams are looking for now. A 6-9 or taller guy that can do it all. As far as seeing him or going on this or that, I did see him play and played with him. I will say this. I once seen him score in the 60's in an independent tournament (before someone gives me grap about that) that had two people guarding him and he hit like 16 3's. The reason I remember this is because the guys started give him crap and saying that he was scared to play in the middle so the next few times down the floor he just went up and dunked it. Anyone that knows history will know that he was one of the leading scores and I think his senior year the leading scorer in college basketball. He was drafted by the Spurs and the reason he did not make the team was because they had this young player that was just getting out of the navy. From what I know he had sever foot trouble that led to several decisions about playing and where. Just my OP. I am sure that several will have a great time ripping me apart. Have a nice day!!!

I won't rip you apart you have right to voice your opinion like every one else.

I do have a couple of questions.

What year was it he hit 16 3pointers?

And with 60 points did anyone else get to shoot the ball?

I don't mean that to be smart mouthed to you whats so ever it just makes picking JR easier because he was a team player. JR was more concerned with winning rather than seeing how many points he could score.
I am surprised that know one wants to look at the Kelly C. debate. I am just guessing but I know that he was over 6-5. So can he not be in this. I will say this JV is the most fundmentally sound big man that I have seen. I think that was what make him such a good player. Anyone that may debate this think back to the semi game the year they won in and he had the presence to get the ball out of the net and I think throw it to Tackett on a break with less then a couple of seconds to win the game while the other team was jumping up and down to win the game. I just think that May had the complete game. He had the size, shooting, etc. That was what I was saying. To get on here and say that any of these great players were bad, is a shame. I love the history of the game and will not comment on players that played before my time because if I did then I would be doing the same thing as others. I am just trying to state what I have seen and I am not young. I have read and talk to people talk about he great teams of the past and players. I think this is good to debate but if I came across as putting any player of the past down, that is not my goal. I was just answering a question that I liked.
J.R. VanHoose, not to get off the subject ,but he has 3 boxes full of D1 letters. UNC,Duke,Ky,UofL, etc.
THUGLIFE#1 Wrote:J.R. VanHoose, not to get off the subject ,but he has 3 boxes full of D1 letters. UNC,Duke,Ky,UofL, etc.

I actually have 10+ boxes, but they are still in the attic of my parents house, and I haven't seen many of them since they were opened. I did pick out the ones signed by Bobby Knight, Coach Pitino, Roy Williams, and others and put them in a seperate box. I was thinking about getting rid of them, but I don't know yet.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I actually have 10+ boxes, but they are still in the attic of my parents house, and I haven't seen many of them since they were opened. I did pick out the ones signed by Bobby Knight, Coach Pitino, Roy Williams, and others and put them in a seperate box. I was thinking about getting rid of them, but I don't know yet.

I would hang on to them.It would be really nice it you could scan a couple of them and put them on here. That would put the end of a lot of myths.I know you may not want to do that and you have nothing to prove.You let your play do the talking and it spoke rather loudly.

Did you every face the player I sent a pm about?
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next