•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
I don't see how is that possiple. So i looked up his stats at KY.
Total Games played=4
Total Minutes=33
Total Rebounds=10
Total pts-14

Any way he is one of the top 5 big men from Ky.
kybaseball Wrote:I don't see how is that possiple. So i looked up his stats at KY.
Total Games played=4
Total Minutes=33
Total Rebounds=10
Total pts-14

I dont have to go to his stats at UK. I seen it in person and on tv. Todd was getting in the games and playing more minutes than Walker was. But what you pointed out in less than one game in total minutes, he averaged over 10 rebounds and 14 points a game for a team at that time was the premier team in the country. Not bad if you ask me....
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
That was according to bigbluehistory. I watched a lot of games as well he didn't play much or to long at UK.

He is one of the best big men in Eastern KY.
Position: F Playing Height: 6-8 Playing Weight: 190
Date of Birth: July 5, 1964
Additional Photos: (1)
Action Photos: (1)
Game by Game Statistics
Prep Notes:
Mr. Basketball State of Kentucky 1982
Kentucky Career Notes:
Transferred to Wake Forest early in Freshman Year
Post-UK Career Notes:
Drafted in the 4th Round of the 1987 NBA Draft by San Antonio

Season
1982-83

games played=4

minutes=33

fg=5

fga=11

fg%=45.5

ft=4

fta=6

ft%66.7

total rebounds=10

assist=1

steals=1

turn overs=4

total points=14

He is one of the top 5 high school players in Eastern Ky.
kybaseball Wrote:I don't see how is that possiple. So i looked up his stats at KY.
Total Games played=4
Total Minutes=33
Total Rebounds=10
Total pts-14

You might not see how it is possible, but watch some old game films, Todd played more minutes and was in the game before Walker was. Look that up on the net if you want
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Can't argue with the numbers.

Todd May is one of the best big man high school players in the state of Ky. He is easily one of the top 5.
kybaseball Wrote:Can't argue with the numbers.

Todd May is one of the best big man high school players in the state of Ky. He is easily one of the top 5.

I didnt know i was arguing the numbers. I was just stating that he played more than Walker did, you started the whole number thing. I can run out my mom and dads and look up the old video tape if you need proof you know... Dad has them all from like 30 years ago except for the probation years. Can you argue what you see with your own eyes?
I didn't mean that you were arguing numbers I apolochize if I implied that.

Wow that sounds like a neat tape collection.

Have you ever thought about making copies?They would sell like hot cakes.

Todd May is one of the top 5 big men in Eastern KY.
kybaseball Wrote:I didn't mean that you were arguing numbers I apolochize if I implied that.

Wow that sounds like a neat tape collection.

Have you ever thought about making copies?They would sell like hot cakes.

Todd May is one of the top 5 big men in Eastern KY.
they are my dads tapes. I have thought about burning them all to DVD, but I dont have the time to do something like that. But I have to say, it is great to watch all the old tapes and see the changes in the uniforms and such. It would be a hoot to watch these young players try to play in the uniforms back in the day...
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:they are my dads tapes. I have thought about burning them all to DVD, but I dont have the time to do something like that. But I have to say, it is great to watch all the old tapes and see the changes in the uniforms and such. It would be a hoot to watch these young players try to play in the uniforms back in the day...

If you ever get time to burn them you would have a collection a lot of people would want.Not saying their not now it just seems DVD's are the thing right now.

Players today would know how to act with shorts that are 6 inches above the knees instead of below them.Smile
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I dont have to go to his stats at UK. I seen it in person and on tv. Todd was getting in the games and playing more minutes than Walker was. But what you pointed out in less than one game in total minutes, he averaged over 10 rebounds and 14 points a game for a team at that time was the premier team in the country. Not bad if you ask me....

Let me get this right.......... You are saying that, The University of Kentucky, Jon Scott, (who runs bigbluehistory.com), and the Cats Pause have all skewed their records to somehow discredit Mr. May????????????? I think maybe you should watch those tapes again and pay closer attention.
Either the numbers are wrong or you're looking at the wrong guy on tape?
Todd May-Virgie
Randy Anderson-Dorton
J.R. Vanhoose-Paintsville
letthebighogroot Wrote:Let me get this right.......... You are saying that, The University of Kentucky, Jon Scott, (who runs bigbluehistory.com), and the Cats Pause have all skewed their records to somehow discredit Mr. May????????????? I think maybe you should watch those tapes again and pay closer attention.
No, I didnt say anything about the numbers being wrong. Where in all those numbers listed does it say at what point in the game he got in? What was Walkers minutes played for the first 4 games? I am sure he got more minutes played after Todd left.
I still have to go with J.R.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:No, I didnt say anything about the numbers being wrong. Where in all those numbers listed does it say at what point in the game he got in? What was Walkers minutes played for the first 4 games? I am sure he got more minutes played after Todd left.

My mistake...........I had misread post #152, after going back and rereading it I understand what you were meaning. Not sure on Walkers numbers for his first 4 games, I'll try and find that out.......not to get in a p----ing match, but just for comparsion.
Walker's Stats for the first 4 games of his Freshman Season

opp. Min FG/FGA Rebs Pts

Butler 18 1/2 4 2

Notre Dame 21 3/4 1 6

Villanova 15 1/3 6 4

Detroit 16 3/3 5 6
Would Chase Gibson Be considered a big man?? Very good inside player for the Pikeville Panthers. He graduated in 2001. I believe he was around 6'5 or 6'6 although my memory may be decieving me.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Walker's Stats for the first 4 games of his Freshman Season

opp. Min FG/FGA Rebs Pts

Butler 18 1/2 4 2

Notre Dame 21 3/4 1 6

Villanova 15 1/3 6 4

Detroit 16 3/3 5 6

The silence speaks volumes.........................Don't look like he was taking any of Walker's minutes to me, those are pretty good minutes for a freshman.
letthebighogroot Wrote:The silence speaks volumes.........................Don't look like he was taking any of Walker's minutes to me, those are pretty good minutes for a freshman.

I have to agree.

By the way J.R. Vanhoose was inducted in Marshall's Hall of Fame Friday.
Congrats to J.R. a class act on and off the court.
I think what we have here is who done best, and at what level of competition. Here is how I see it.

Best HIGH SCHOOL big man from the mountains.........Todd May

Best COLLEGE (not DII, not DIII, not NAIA, but instead DI) big man from the mountains............J.R. Vanhoose

Best PROFESSIONAL big man from the mountains.........Orbie Lee (Chief) Bowling.
I still don't see how May or VanHoose's accomplishments compare to Wah Wah Jones in high school and certainly not in college.
palmer Wrote:I still don't see how May or VanHoose's accomplishments compare to Wah Wah Jones in high school and certainly not in college.

Could you give some info on Mr. Jones?
Surely you have heard of Wah Wah Jones? Info is not very hard to find on him.

Olympic medal record
Men's Basketball
Gold 1948 London United States
Wallace "Wah Wah" Clayton Jones (born July 14, 1926 in Harlan, Kentucky) is a retired American professional basketball player. He played in the National Basketball Association from 1949 to 1952 with the Indianapolis Olympians.

He also holds the unique distinction of being an All-American under both legends Adolph Rupp (basketball) and Bear Bryant (football) when both coached at Kentucky. He is the only player to have his number retired in both football and basketball at Kentucky. At the University of Kentucky, Jones was a member of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity.
Moe Wrote:Would Chase Gibson Be considered a big man?? Very good inside player for the Pikeville Panthers. He graduated in 2001. I believe he was around 6'5 or 6'6 although my memory may be decieving me.

I forgot to add Chase to my first post. Chase was around 6'4" and was one heck of a basketball player. He helped lead us to the sweet sixteen as a sophomore and also has his name way up there in the state's history for blocked shots and rebounds. In no particular order my top 4 are:
JR Vanhoose-Paintsville
Todd May-Virgie
Randy Anderson-Dorton
Chase Gibson-Pikeville
new o Wrote:Surely you have heard of Wah Wah Jones? Info is not very hard to find on him.

Olympic medal record
Men's Basketball
Gold 1948 London United States
Wallace "Wah Wah" Clayton Jones (born July 14, 1926 in Harlan, Kentucky) is a retired American professional basketball player. He played in the National Basketball Association from 1949 to 1952 with the Indianapolis Olympians.

He also holds the unique distinction of being an All-American under both legends Adolph Rupp (basketball) and Bear Bryant (football) when both coached at Kentucky. He is the only player to have his number retired in both football and basketball at Kentucky. At the University of Kentucky, Jones was a member of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity.

For some reason I didn't reconize the name then it hit me when i saw the first line of you post. Thanks for the reminder. :eek:
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:You might not see how it is possible, but watch some old game films, Todd played more minutes and was in the game before Walker was. Look that up on the net if you want

I am old and have said this for years. If you look at the games that Todd was there and Walker (not the season) he was the first to come off the bench. I know people will rip this apart but I agree take time to check facts instead of typing/
kybaseball Wrote:For some reason I didn't reconize the name then it hit me when i saw the first line of you post. Thanks for the reminder. :eek:

I completely agree with you on your point!!!!!!!!! I am basing my choice on teams tha had to find players (post coal being gone) then when you had hundreds of people in eastern Ky. I remember a time when there was 8 teams in my district and now you have 4 and 3 are considered 1-A. I dont want to take anything from him. Is one of the best if not the best during his time. I am posting my choice based on when schools had 200 students instead of 1000 or more. I never want to disrespect any player and neither that has been brought up should have anything bad said about them.
basketballfan000 Wrote:I completely agree with you on your point!!!!!!!!! I am basing my choice on teams tha had to find players (post coal being gone) then when you had hundreds of people in eastern Ky. I remember a time when there was 8 teams in my district and now you have 4 and 3 are considered 1-A. I dont want to take anything from him. Is one of the best if not the best during his time. I am posting my choice based on when schools had 200 students instead of 1000 or more. I never want to disrespect any player and neither that has been brought up should have anything bad said about them.

I don't understand.
basketballfan000 Wrote:I am old and have said this for years. If you look at the games that Todd was there and Walker (not the season) he was the first to come off the bench. I know people will rip this apart but I agree take time to check facts instead of typing/

Sir, If you will take the time to look into the matter, in the first four games of their freshman year(s). You will find that young Mr. Walker played 70 minutes, while young Mr. May played 33 minutes............. I guess they brought May off the bench first for his 8 mins. a game. Then, after May had put the game away they brought Walker in for the final 18.5 minutes in hopes that he would someday get to May's level..........................Sorry, the minutes speak for theirselves. I think some ppl need to watch those 4 glorious Todd May/UK games again....
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next