Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
letthebighogroot Wrote:Some from the 16th in no particular order

Mike Scott, Greenup Co. played for UK

Jackson Julson, East Carter played for Huggy Bear at Cincy

Orbie Lee "Chief" Bowling, Sandy Hook (now Elliott Co.) played at Tenn, and later for the Kentucky Colonels

Mark Surgalski, Kyle Umberger, Ashland one played at Morehead and the other Eastern if i remember correctly.
Surgalski origionally signed with Wright State but never went there he ended up playing his career at Georgetown college where he did very well and your right Umberger played at Morehead St.

I think JR VanHoose is an easy choice here for the best and most recognizable big man in the history of Mountain basketball as well as basketball throughout kentucky. Todd May is 2nd and then it gets difficult for me. Surgalski was a very good player for Ashland and I would personally list him top 5. Pelfrey,Umberger,Mike Scott,Graig Ratliff,Mike May, Jon Bentley and Dan Hall could all be thrown in the mix for the 5th spot. I have a sleeper for you guys, anyone remember James Howard-Magoffin County? He graduated in 98' or so he was 6'9 or 6'10 and was a solid big man. He went on and played 4 years at Tennessee-Milligan. He and VanHoose had some battles in HS so thats why I wanted to throw that name back out there in as my sleeper.
Messages In This Thread
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)? - by Moe - 08-02-2008, 09:44 PM