Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Shootings, why do they happen?
This is a very current issue in America today. It seems as if for the past 30 years there have been numerous school shootings, and especially in the last ten, it seems as if it has happened every year. Why are so many horrific instances happening?

What does the Bible say about this issue?

[INDENT]2 Timothy 3:1-4: (KJV) "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God."[/INDENT]

We can historically verify the prophecy of this verse in the last 50 years in America. I have heard an amazing number of people talk about how it was in their day, when kids respected their parents, and things seemed in such harmony. In today's America, we very much know that we are in perilous times. Look at our school systems and you will see kids who are disobedient to their parents, unthankful, unholy, lacking natural affection, breaking their word, falsing accusing, and very jeolous of good things. We also find youth having sex without regard being lovers of pleasure, and less youth being lovers of God. Just look at how much this has changed in the last 50 years, not only in America, but the rest of the world. Are we in the last days? Only God knows, but one thing is for sure, until we've turned back to God and His holy word, we can expect more shootings to occur as well as more godlessness. I suppose it doesn't hit home with many until it actually happens to them or someone they love.
because prayer was taken out of school and the devil walked in.
BaseballMan Wrote:This is a very current issue in America today. It seems as if for the past 30 years there have been numerous school shootings, and especially in the last ten, it seems as if it has happened every year. Why are so many horrific instances happening?

What does the Bible say about this issue?

[INDENT]2 Timothy 3:1-4: (KJV) "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God."[/INDENT]We can historically verify the prophecy of this verse in the last 50 years in America. I have heard an amazing number of people talk about how it was in their day, when kids respected their parents, and things seemed in such harmony. In today's America, we very much know that we are in perilous times. Look at our school systems and you will see kids who are disobedient to their parents, unthankful, unholy, lacking natural affection, breaking their word, falsing accusing, and very jeolous of good things. We also find youth having sex without regard being lovers of pleasure, and less youth being lovers of God. Just look at how much this has changed in the last 50 years, not only in America, but the rest of the world. Are we in the last days? Only God knows, but one thing is for sure, until we've turned back to God and His holy word, we can expect more shootings to occur as well as more godlessness. I suppose it doesn't hit home with many until it actually happens to them or someone they love.

When the joy of youth is gone, faded into middle or old age, the past looks better, and the young are to blame for the fading?
I'd say because the shooter was probly bullyed, or Put down in school.
THUGLIFE#1 Wrote:I'd say because the shooter was probly bullyed, or Put down in school.

But why are these people bullied or put down in school? Could it be that many have become lovers of themselves, selfish, unholy? Or could it be that some have become so less confident and jealous of others they resort to bully or make fun of others? I think mostly it is because people have turned their backs on God. People seek selfish unholy ways other than the ways of God. If we would turn from our wicked ways and seek after the Father, then we would see a different nation.
because schools don't care about the kids. all they need is attention and alot of things would never happen
PHS#1 Wrote:because schools don't care about the kids. all they need is attention and alot of things would never happen

So you're taking the responsibility for the kids' actions away from the parents and putting the blame on the school? - that's ridiculous. But, oh wait, that's typical of most people today - blame the teacher/school.
BballFan63 Wrote:[/B]

So you're taking the responsibility for the kids' actions away from the parents and putting the blame on the school? - that's ridiculous. But, oh wait, that's typical of most people today - blame the teacher/school.

Sometimes i would blame teachers for making kids the way they are, sometimes. Where I went to HS there were many teachers who took away your break if you wanted to use the bathroom during class. Some teachers would give bonus points and every time you left the room you were deducted points. I can honestly see where some kids could just go crazy with this and turn on the school they go to. I was fortunate enough to never have any of these teachers though.
There are many reasons why students turn violent in our schools. The main reason is that they are not getting the attention and guidance that they need throughout the years of their life. And the sad truth is that if they aren't getting the emotional support they need at home, then we as a society feel they ought to be getting it from their school. What is that saying "It takes a village to raise a child." That certainly is true. It takes us all, parents, teachers, and churches. Here are just a few miscellaneous facts that go to show the results of the changes in our society. They did a study and found that in families who had dinner together at least 5 nights a week, their children (especially girls) were less likely to turn to drugs and alcohol. Another study was done looking at how much of a church's budget was spent on youth ministries. It was very low compared to how much was spent on adult classes. Most of the adults in our churches have already made that important decision. It is our children that need our direction. We have it completely backwards. The money needs to be spent on programs for our youth. In our society both parents in most every family work in order to give our children more "stuff". What our children really need is our time, love and attention, not more "stuff"!
Though Canada has more guns per capita than the US, they have never had a school shooting that I know of. A better question might be: what is it in our culture that produces such a turning to violence as an answer to any problem?
thecavemaster Wrote:Though Canada has more guns per capita than the US, they have never had a school shooting that I know of. A better question might be: what is it in our culture that produces such a turning to violence as an answer to any problem?

That is a good question. I also agree that there are several different reasons why a person would resort to shooting people anywhere (schools, work places, restaurants, etc.). You can't place the blame on any one thing - except for maybe society in general, and the way that we as a society have become.

A previous post said something about getting mad and shooting up a school because a teacher took away your points; come one now, if THAT would make someone resort to shooting then that person has bigger problems than the points.

My feathers got ruffled (so to speak) when the blame was placed on the school system immediately. I agree that teachers have to teach more than just their subjects. Students come to us today needing a whole lot more (manners, appropriate behavior, etc.) And most of them just need to know that someone cares. Schools have become scapegoats for blame.

Schools and teachers have been made to be accountable for soooooooooo much - but unless you work in a school system you won't fully understand.

Just don't be so quick to place the blame on any one thing or person when an act of violence occurs.
Whatever happened to just being crazy? I mean did being crazy just go away, and suddenly its video games, tv or movies that make people shoot people? I'm pretty sure there were murders long long long before any of those 3 things existed.
EkyLb Wrote:Whatever happened to just being crazy? I mean did being crazy just go away, and suddenly its video games, tv or movies that make people shoot people? I'm pretty sure there were murders long long long before any of those 3 things existed.

Chris Rock?
The Installer Wrote:There are many reasons why students turn violent in our schools. The main reason is that they are not getting the attention and guidance that they need throughout the years of their life. And the sad truth is that if they aren't getting the emotional support they need at home, then we as a society feel they ought to be getting it from their school. What is that saying "It takes a village to raise a child." That certainly is true. It takes us all, parents, teachers, and churches. Here are just a few miscellaneous facts that go to show the results of the changes in our society. They did a study and found that in families who had dinner together at least 5 nights a week, their children (especially girls) were less likely to turn to drugs and alcohol. Another study was done looking at how much of a church's budget was spent on youth ministries. It was very low compared to how much was spent on adult classes. Most of the adults in our churches have already made that important decision. It is our children that need our direction. We have it completely backwards. The money needs to be spent on programs for our youth. In our society both parents in most every family work in order to give our children more "stuff". What our children really need is our time, love and attention, not more "stuff"!

Great post, especially that last sentence. :Thumbs:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
thecavemaster Wrote:Chris Rock?

I was hoping someone would pick up on those first 2 sentences. He made very valid points. He said that and I thought, that is so true. Noone is just crazy anymore, its either their parents didn't love them enough, people picked on them, or they didn't have any friends. Maybe they played too many video games and watched violence on tv and in movies. Ive played just about every violent video game and seen tons of violent movies. Ive yet to go on a shooting rampage. Although, the terrible drivers we have around here, especially the ones with the red, white, and blue license plates make me want to sometimes.