Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wednesday Church Services and High School Sports Practice
A discussion was brought up in another thread in the football forum about a policy where athletic practices must end in time for the kids to be able to go to Wednesday church services.

Currently, I know this is the case in Pikeville, practice must end in time for them to be able to make it to Wednesday church services if they choose to do so.

How do you feel about this? Is it fair to people of other religions or churches? Any potential foreseeable problems with this policy?

I'll reserve my opinion until later.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:A discussion was brought up in another thread in the football forum about a policy where athletic practices must end in time for the kids to be able to go to Wednesday church services.

Currently, I know this is the case in Pikeville, practice must end in time for them to be able to make it to Wednesday church services if they choose to do so.

How do you feel about this? Is it fair to people of other religions or churches? Any potential foreseeable problems with this policy?

I'll reserve my opinion until later.
IMO the Sabbath needs to be honored more than Wednesday. GOD didnt rest on Wednesday. If they want to honor a day for worship why dont we make it the one that GOD said to honor in the Ten Commandments. I think the Wednesday thing is a KHSAA law though isnt it?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:IMO the Sabbath needs to be honored more than Wednesday. GOD didnt rest on Wednesday. If they want to honor a day for worship why dont we make it the one that GOD said to honor in the Ten Commandments. I think the Wednesday thing is a KHSAA law though isnt it?

The actual "sabbath" is Saturday...work six days, rest on the seventh. Although it seems the early Christians did meet on the first day of the week. So, Jewish schools can practice on Sunday; Christian schools can practice on Saturday. Atheistis schools can pretty much practice any time they choose.
thecavemaster Wrote:The actual "sabbath" is Saturday...work six days, rest on the seventh. Although it seems the early Christians did meet on the first day of the week. So, Jewish schools can practice on Sunday; Christian schools can practice on Saturday. Atheistis schools can pretty much practice any time they choose.

Would public schools unfortunately fall into the category of Atheist schools?Even though 99.9% of the kids that go to them are some form of christianity.
Jshort5 Wrote:Would public schools unfortunately fall into the category of Atheist schools?Even though 99.9% of the kids that go to them are some form of christianity.

While I think your mind appears to be made up on the subject... who funds public schools? Plus, Jesus said, "Find a secret closet..." What kid can be forbidden to pray in a public school? None. However, those who wish to be seen and heard of men, I guess they lose their chance. No public school in eastern Kentucky that I know of would be full of atheists. No public school in eastern Kentucky is above the Constitution of the United States either.
thecavemaster Wrote:While I think your mind appears to be made up on the subject... who funds public schools? Plus, Jesus said, "Find a secret closet..." What kid can be forbidden to pray in a public school? None. However, those who wish to be seen and heard of men, I guess they lose their chance. No public school in eastern Kentucky that I know of would be full of atheists. No public school in eastern Kentucky is above the Constitution of the United States either.

Translate that into simpler terms. What do you mean my mind seems to be made up on the subject? I am a christian and attend church every Sunday and Wednesday, if your implying that I am Athiest.
Separation of church and state.
Jshort5 Wrote:Translate that into simpler terms. What do you mean my mind seems to be made up on the subject? I am a christian and attend church every Sunday and Wednesday, if your implying that I am Athiest.

A student in a public school can pray any day, every day, all day long... in the secret closet of the mind, the soul...per Jesus' instructions.
I am not implying you are an athiest, as I figured you went to church.
I think it is best when the state stays out of religious promotion, since Constantine saw the cross in the sky.
thecavemaster Wrote:A student in a public school can pray any day, every day, all day long... in the secret closet of the mind, the soul...per Jesus' instructions.
I am not implying you are an athiest, as I figured you went to church.
I think it is best when the state stays out of religious promotion, since Constantine saw the cross in the sky.

Ohhh, OK I think I get what your saying. That you can pray in your mind and there is no way they can stop you, right, or am I still lost like a little boy in the woods.
[quote=Jshort5]Ohhh, OK I think I get what your saying. That you can pray in your mind and there is no way they can stop you, right, or am I still lost like a little boy in the woods.[/q

That is what I am saying.
UKisN1 Wrote:Separation of church and state.

Please find that for me in the Constitution. Actually I bet without looking it up, you can't tell me what it says in the first amendment, in regards to "seperation of church and state".

The men who founded this country, founded it for all men and women of all religions to worship as they saw fit. However, it was meant to be ran on Christian principles and morals. And God and Jesus were meant to play a mojor role in every aspect of this countries every day activities and processes. If you want, I can start linking you some quotes from many founding fathers.

BTW, the seperation of chruch and state. Which actually states that congress shall make no law recognizing a religion. Means exactly that. Congress can't up and say, we all have to get our religious guidance from the Catholic Church in Rome, or Baptist ministries. It was meant to keep church leaders from gaining too much control over the government. Which is what Europe had gone through for centuries with the Catholic church. So that if a time came, and the President and Congress were saying we need to goto war with so and so. Some priest or minister has no power to step up and interfere. I'm sure everyone can see the problem that would arise if our government was telling us one thing, and for example, the Pope, who had been recognized as the main religious figure in our country, was telling us not to.
Beetle01 Wrote:Please find that for me in the Constitution. Actually I bet without looking it up, you can't tell me what it says in the first amendment, in regards to "seperation of church and state".

The men who founded this country, founded it for all men and women of all religions to worship as they saw fit. However, it was meant to be ran on Christian principles and morals. And God and Jesus were meant to play a mojor role in every aspect of this countries every day activities and processes. If you want, I can start linking you some quotes from many founding fathers.

BTW, the seperation of chruch and state. Which actually states that congress shall make no law recognizing a religion. Means exactly that. Congress can't up and say, we all have to get our religious guidance from the Catholic Church in Rome, or Baptist ministries. It was meant to keep church leaders from gaining too much control over the government. Which is what Europe had gone through for centuries with the Catholic church. So that if a time came, and the President and Congress were saying we need to goto war with so and so. Some priest or minister has no power to step up and interfere. I'm sure everyone can see the problem that would arise if our government was telling us one thing, and for example, the Pope, who had been recognized as the main religious figure in our country, was telling us not to.

Is it not true that the permissive will of god functions somewhat like a democracy based on a Constitution? Rain falls on the gardens of the good and evil; the sun shines on the faces of the just and unjust. Freedom of conscience, which means, at the least, no forced worship, no coerced religion, is foundational. To fail of that understanding darkens the skies of freedom itself. The Popes of the MIddle Ages approved of Inquisitions; the Salem witch trials stain these shores. The argument is not between a godless, amoral nation as opposed to a theocratic, force-based order like that of the Taliban of Afghanistan. This is an argument of the extreme and keeps both sides angry at each other, with refusal to communicate, which only leads to darkness.
In the past society has accepted Sunday as the day set aside for religion. If Wednesday is set aside for many churches in the area what will stop other churches from wanting Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday as their evening of worship?

Where do we draw the line?
I here lots of complaints about decisions being made based upon Christianity, yet these same people dont want to work on Sunday, Good Friday or Christmas (they even want a Christmas bonus).
We live in such a world of double standards where if it doesnt benifit me, why have it?
So...should churches dictate when a district can or cannot practice???
to me this issue simply comes down between family and coaches in my highschool playing days i simply told my coach that i would like to be excused on wed early for church and the practice schedule came out to be enough time for me to get from practice to get 2 church its all about the kid tho if the kid wants to go he could ask for the last 10 mins of practice or so to leave cause i dont see most coaches having trouble with the kid wanting to go to church
I believe that kids should be let off on Wednesday. Just for the simple fact that coaches could not do anything to stop them.
sherman14 Wrote:I believe that kids should be let off on Wednesday. Just for the simple fact that coaches could not do anything to stop them.

Actually coaches could stop them. That is if a coach makes a rule that you cannot leave early.

I do not forsee any coach doing this but if a district does not have a policy then it would be left to the coach to make the decision on whether to allow a student to leave practice early.

Another question...should a player be allowed to leave practice early if he has a job that helps support his/her family?